Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lmao why Sean Connery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Godzilla 2014 was another perfect crowd movie. That thing is perfection. I can’t wait to rewatch it. But I gotta wait until closer to GvK

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Godzilla 2014 was another perfect crowd movie. That thing is perfection. I can’t wait to rewatch it. But I gotta wait until closer to GvK

Personally hated in the theater (in 3D no less) and just could not get into it while my entire theater erupted in cheers and hollering.

I saw Shin Godzilla in the theater and that’s the movie that got me hyped though.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Lotta Dan Dreiberg apologism in this thread and I don't appreciate it one bit!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

seravid posted:

That scene alone is cooler than anything in WW84.

Also, she just lets go of the lasso in the Josstice clip. Maybe she has spares.

Whedon's sense of pacing is horrible. All that banter, the constant posing and pauses for dialogue and reaction shots during an ostensible action sequence, ugh. His Avengers flicks were really bad about this but having these two sequences to compare back-to-back makes me wince like hearing a badly-tuned violin.

Played poorly. While the violinist is talking. In soft, bright, waiting-room lighting.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Shazam sucks. It's also not nearly as funny as they think it is. The adult actor reminds me of one of the awful US late night hosts (Kimmel? Fallon? Either?) - intensely unlikeable.

Aquaman rocks, because it is dumb and knows it and it is brave to be dumb in a world where everyone wants to be smart.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Aquaman felt super sincere, which I always respect in a movie with a kinda silly concept.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Avengers is alright, in-my-opinion, when you look at it for what it is; a cheap TV writer is inexplicably given 220 million dollars to bash his favorite action figures together, and it somehow appeals to people excited to see their favorite toys talk to each other. It's almost pure if you know nothing about Whedon BTS. He has no sense of environmental storytelling or cinematography (he's from low budget urban-horror TV, environments in those are usually a graveyard, a room, and a fog machine!), but he's got an idea of how his cartoons would talk to each other like. It's no triumph of cinema, it's a TV show finale given a staggering budget.

Avengers: Endgame is just a terrible mess, and that's speaking as someone who likes a good few of the individual marvel movies. I can't even give the lenience of "yeah, you gave the movie to a shlock writer, of course it looks lousy" because the Russo brothers have certainly done better than that muddy mess.

I can see a lot of Marvel movies standing the test of time, I can see Avengers 1 being revisited and I have a soft spot for Age of Ultron. I cannot fathom anyone returning to Endgame outside a theater setting, enduring the ugly sights and ugly sounds and meaningless plots on their own. For all the (entirely valid) problems a lot of people have with Snyder's films, at least they're a treat to look at.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
now that we know how snyder wanted the diana and steppenwolf fight to look, it's intriguing that

1. whedon shoved batman and stuff in there, basically taking the emphasis away from the female superhero and

2. added in the line about how steppenwolf killed women

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Mar 16, 2021

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Between this and the Superman fight, we need a list of scenes that had Batman shoved into them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Infinity War was really fun mostly because it's basically a Thanos movie. Endgame felt thrown together, down to the title.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I thought Shazam, ironically, was way too dark. It was generally an upbeat kids movie, but the scene of the verbal abuse of the villain as a child in the car, the car wreck, the board room demons killing everyone, was way too dark and scary for kids. It was really upsetting to my kid and we had to leave.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I saw end game opening weekend and people went ape poo poo but I thought the movie was bafflingly awful. Such a huge downgrade from the previous film and it became this weird thing. It just felt so loving weird and I hadn’t felt that disconnect with the audience since Godzilla 2014

Endgame was less a movie and more a culmination of a decade of build up. Even the lovely(er) Marvel movies found audiences because they were all leading to Endgame. Now it’s gone, everything Marvel has put out or hinted has seemed anemic at best like Wandavision and the second Spider-Man. The stale house filmmaking style doesn’t help either.

That’s why I like Snyder’s movies so much. They’re grand and visually interesting, and the plots aren’t completely fed to you through sitcom-tier, snappy dialogue.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

Disney did it with Solo. And we’ll never see that footage.

And Rogue One!

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Necrothatcher posted:

Aquaman felt super sincere, which I always respect in a movie with a kinda silly concept.

Yeah. I've heard movies described by CineD as "big dumb labradors" and it's extremely accurate for Aquaman. Probably my third favourite DCEU film.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

McCloud posted:

Like other said, it's portrayed as a huge heroic moment for Superman, not one of horror or defeat, but the larger point I was making wasn't that their actions aren't justified, but that Snyderman and Timman acted in a very similar way, but one was viewed as shocking and "not true to the character" while the other was viewed as cool and badass. The animated version is way more sanitized than the former, that evokes feelings of 9/11, you absolutely feel people actually died in the MoS scene, unlike the animated one, and that's jarring.
Look I think you guys are being way too literal with that scene, so let's not focus on it. Why are people okay with Dan being murdered while Superman can just helplessly watch and punch a city? Why are people okay with Superman being turned into a mind controlled soldier where it is absolutely implied that he kills people, becomes a pariah, goes on a revenge mission in which he is incinerating hordes of Parademons, fighting Darkseid, absolutely being framed in a scary light when he is throwing Darkseid off of a tower, only to find that Darkseid is too good a dictator for Superman to punch his people's free?

quote:

Regarding your second point, that's kind of a weird take on my comment. Like, i don't think the idea of violent or flawed heroes is mindblowing to people, no. What I attempted to convey was that portraying Superman like that was jarring for people, because there are different expectations of the superhero genre, and especially the ultimate Paragon and Father of Superheroes, and quite possibly the most noble fictional character in the world aside from maybe Jesus, than a former assassin and action films in general.
I don't think im exaggerating when I say that people were angry about the collateral damage in MoS.
Well, I don't think that's how it came off in the OP, but fair enough. Regardless, I think what I'm getting to is that you absolutely can tell violent stories or stories where people die or even stories where the bad guys win with Superman. Kingdom Come used to be a fan favorite about Superman nearly going crazy and killing a bunch of people. All-Star Superman is literally about Superman dying and one of its most iconic moments is Superman making a mistake that stops him from saving his father. An old gem of 90s comics is the Superman Hitman issue where Superman talks about what it's like to not save a dying astronaut. The first Superman movie has Lois Lane horrifically die.

I think that when Superman came out there were a lot of very online people who tried to prove how Man of Steel is scientifically bad and that's wrong because Superman's a fictional character, but you can do whatever you want with it. As someone who doesn't love MoS, I think there are other reasons that I don't really care for the movie.

Like the answer to my question about the S:TAS stuff is that people just liked those stories.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 16, 2021

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I saw end game opening weekend and people went ape poo poo but I thought the movie was bafflingly awful. Such a huge downgrade from the previous film and it became this weird thing. It just felt so loving weird and I hadn’t felt that disconnect with the audience since Godzilla 2014

Infinity War is so much better than Endgame, it’s unreal. I can’t get over how Endgame essentially takes place in a single building.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
My most enduring memory of ENDGAME is one of the Russos, who isn't Gay, played a Gay man in the support group scene and had one line about how he missed his husband and everyone involved pat themselves on the back over this 'representation'.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah. I've heard movies described by CineD as "big dumb labradors" and it's extremely accurate for Aquaman. Probably my third favourite DCEU film.

I think is its biggest strength is that it goes hog wild with the pulp imagery, and you need a sincere approach to pull that off. No one is going "They swim now??" during that climactic battle full of giant crabs and seahorse riders in full battle dress, and it's all the stronger for leaning into it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
It's a movie where fishmechs will burst through your wall at any second to interrupt your conversation and the title of "Ocean Master" is a supremely important one that is discussed earnestly. You're drat right you have to be sincere to pull that off.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I loathed Infinity War. The big setpiece battle being just an infinite horde of slavering alien monsters for the heroes to kill infinitely until their power meters get low was really stupid. I liked Endgame better just for having silly time travel scenes instead of infinite monsters- well, for the first 2/3 or so

roffels posted:

The budget for the first Superman movie in the 1970s was $55 million, to help put things in perspective.
drat, did they pay Christopher Reeve by the foot?

I have no idea what level of irony this is on. It's giving me a headache.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The United States posted:

It's a movie where fishmechs will burst through your wall at any second to interrupt your conversation

So that where she's been since she got perma'd

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Shanty posted:

I think is its biggest strength is that it goes hog wild with the pulp imagery, and you need a sincere approach to pull that off. No one is going "They swim now??" during that climactic battle full of giant crabs and seahorse riders in full battle dress, and it's all the stronger for leaning into it.

It's also impressive that the final battle scene is, comparatively, fairly short. We've had two hours riddled with cool action scenes so far, we don't need to drag the finale out much more.

But yeah, I agree. There's a way to take something seriously and sincerely without treating it "realistically" and Aquaman nails that. Just a fun film.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:

DrVenkman posted:

My most enduring memory of ENDGAME is one of the Russos, who isn't Gay, played a Gay man in the support group scene and had one line about how he missed his husband and everyone involved pat themselves on the back over this 'representation'.

https://deadline.com/2019/04/avengers-endgame-marvel-first-openly-gay-character-directors-joe-russo-anthony-russo-discuss-1202601583/

quote:

“Representation is really important,” Joe Russo said. “It was important to us as we did four of these films, we wanted a gay character somewhere in them. We felt it was important that one of us play him, to ensure the integrity and show it is so important to the filmmakers that one of us is representing that. It is a perfect time, because one of the things that is compelling about the Marvel Universe moving forward is its focus on diversity.”

Could you imagine Zack doing this and saying these words, he would get demolished, and not just Snyder, any director, and it would be completely justified because this reasoning is loving stupid.

But of course Disney and Marvel just magically escape criticism.

I dislike Endgame because it's 3 hours and every time I watched it, I felt empty. It just feels like an empty movie. And the whole lead up to its release like with the dumb name reveal like it was going to blow people's minds and it was just "Avengers:Endgame".

Rewatching the Russo marvel movies and there's so many cuts in so many of the action scenes, that it's disorienting to me. Maybe it's just me :shrug:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like the gay support group character cause he says he is seeing a new guy again and they really hit it off, and given the timing of when the Hulk got his second snap in to undo the first one, his husband likely materialized in his home right as he was getting lucky. And that's hilarious.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

it's funny how weird Endgame gets because the writers were fearful of the audience reaction to a straightforward reset

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I like the gay support group character cause he says he is seeing a new guy again and they really hit it off, and given the timing of when the Hulk got his second snap in to undo the first one, his husband likely materialized in his home right as he was getting lucky. And that's hilarious.

Wandavision establishes that snapped people can’t tell they got snapped when they first come back, so he probably reappears in his bedroom thinking he just took a nap only to find his husband getting rocked in the kitchen.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
If I remember right, Endgame also implies that animals got snapped. Like when Hulk wishes everyone back, the first sign it worked is birds flying around, right? Which is nuts to think about. Like there's a billion cows in the world, so 500 million cows got snapped, and then reappeared 5 years later out of nowhere

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

teagone posted:

You can, at the very least, get a feel for the original tone Ayer's cut would've had from its first look comic-con trailer before it got butchered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLLQK9la6Go

One thing watching this brought to mind that I never connected before, that Harley Quinn asks Waller if she's the devil while Waller is standing over her. Lines up with Lex's BvS line about devils coming not from below but from the sky.

CelticPredator posted:

I hate solo so much because they fired two of my favorite filmmakers for some bland rear end poo poo.

Maybe OG solo sucked rear end and wasnt funny. But I’d rather see it over what we got.

Well going by the claims that were made at the time, the original Solo was tanked specifically because it was too funny.

That never fails to crack me up, people buying the Lucasfilm people's claim that they were just shocked, shocked! that the two comedy directors they hired wanted to have a comedic movie.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Then they go ahead and make one of the best superhero films combining comedy and drama in a beautiful package. Then winning an Oscar for it. :lol:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

2house2fly posted:

If I remember right, Endgame also implies that animals got snapped. Like when Hulk wishes everyone back, the first sign it worked is birds flying around, right? Which is nuts to think about. Like there's a billion cows in the world, so 500 million cows got snapped, and then reappeared 5 years later out of nowhere

It was half of all life, meaning, as someone pointed out, the survivors all had some pretty intense nightmare shits from the missing stomach flora immediately after

I really liked Endgame but I'll always enjoy Infinity War more for the kid behind me getting super excited that Thor was going to save the day then crying "Spider-man nooo" when he didn't lmao

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Intense chaos vibes to resolve the overpopulation crisis by taking away half of the food

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

RBA Starblade posted:

It was half of all life, meaning, as someone pointed out, the survivors all had some pretty intense nightmare shits from the missing stomach flora immediately after

I really liked Endgame but I'll always enjoy Infinity War more for the kid behind me getting super excited that Thor was going to save the day then crying "Spider-man nooo" when he didn't lmao
Spiderman's death is so manufactured for maximum tears, everyone else is almost immediately gone and Spidey gets a full oscar clip. Just rolled my eyes. But that was literally all the movie was, emotional manipulation. It is baffling anyone believed thanos was actually sad about killing gamora, a person he indiscriminately calls his child due to capture, death and imprisonment just like a ton of others.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm always up for some Time Bullshit, and Endgame delivered, but overall, I think it's like the dancing bear: what's impressive is not that it's any good at it, but that it can do it at all.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

bushisms.txt posted:

... But that was literally all the movie was, emotional manipulation. It is baffling anyone believed thanos was actually sad about killing gamora, a person he indiscriminately calls his child due to capture, death and imprisonment just like a ton of others.

Our feelings are irrelevant. The movie established an absolute truth that he was really sad, since that's the stipulation to getting that infinity stone.

It reminds me of the way they wrote Dr. Strange declaring that they only had one path to victory, which justifies everything both retroactively and proactively.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

2house2fly posted:

Intense chaos vibes to resolve the overpopulation crisis by taking away half of the food

Thanos is Titan's dumbest scientist

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

KVeezy3 posted:

It reminds me of the way they wrote Dr. Strange declaring that they only had one path to victory, which justifies everything both retroactively and proactively.

Oh man, that being the trigger also made my eyes spin. I can't believe they brought Tilda back for that poo poo. I mean she's the best actor the MCU has ever shot on screen, but her little, " oh he gave it away, here" is so trite and obviously just trying to keep the movie from collapsing into a logic black hole.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I was fuming because they almost had Thanos dead to rights but Star Lord hosed it up because he realised Thanos killed his girlfriend. Which is fine whatever, but Dr Strange knew that would happen and didn't just imprison Star Lord in a time bubble or some poo poo when the time came? Somehow getting the glove off Thanos would be worse than letting him snap half the universe and then letting him get drat near to snapping the whole thing??

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Wibbboly wobbily time stuff wouldn't allow it any other way apparently. The time lords needed the cosmos to know star lord is a selfish short sighted piece of poo poo apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

2house2fly posted:

... Somehow getting the glove off Thanos would be worse than letting him snap half the universe and then letting him get drat near to snapping the whole thing??

Yes, because then Dr. Strange would have no way to get Tony killed in that timeline.