Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Marching Powder posted:

wondering who gillespie is, what weight division he's back in the mix of, and tuning in every now and again to watch fighters i recognise and like get beaten severely because they are old / bad.

He's the Fisherman!

He got mega slept by Kevin Lee about a year ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Marching Powder posted:

wondering who gillespie is, what weight division he's back in the mix of, and tuning in every now and again to watch fighters i recognise and like get beaten severely because they are old / bad.

He's a lightweight wrestler from Long Island (but doesn't train at Serra/Longo) who was on a hot streak before he got head kick KOd by Kevin Lee to lose his undefeated record a year and change ago.

e;fb

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Masvidal getting another title shot is dumb as hell, but I've been so thoroughly normalized to it that I'm not even really mad anymore.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Usman making Masvidal look like a complete loser for 25 minutes sounds like a good time so bring it on.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
And if the stars align and masvidal somehow gets a lucky KO, guess which fight you'll be seeing next?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
drat, Paulo Costa won't be fighting Whittaker anymore. Paulo is sick with the flu.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I'm sure its "just" the flu. I'm very much ready for costa to fade into obscurity. Other than him being big I don't see what he would have for bobby knucks.

Nierbo posted:

And if the stars align and masvidal somehow gets a lucky KO, guess which fight you'll be seeing next?

Masvidal-McGregor @ 170 and the promos in the run up would get really loving nauseating. Bringing the greatest rivalry in human history for the fore once again: Cuban Fascists vs Irish Rapists.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
TKZ's latest video (Not any of the ones where he meets with other members of AOMG to learn how to become a rapper) has him explain that he was supposed to have a fight in April, but of the 3 fighters in the top 10 the UFC picked and the 3 fighters in the top 10 Zombie picked, those 6 guys are all fighting each other. He specifically said that either Sodiq Yusuf or Arnold Allen were strong possibilities, but those dudes are fighting each other. So he's currently without an opponent, but did mention, on the video he recorded on March 9 that if Dan Ige beat Gavin Tucker, TKZ vs IGE might be A Thing

So hopefully that's what we get

He also mentioned asking about fighting someone in the top 15 ~ 20 of the lightweight division to keep active, but apparently that would have a long wait time, too.

Anyway, figured y'all might care to know about TKZ's upcoming (lack of) schedule

But do check out his youtube as he learns to rap, it is very good

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
Wait so

LobsterMobster posted:

TKZ's latest video (Not any of the ones where he meets with other members of AOMG to learn how to become a rapper) has him explain that he was supposed to have a fight in April, but of the 3 fighters in the top 10 the UFC picked and the 3 fighters in the top 10 Zombie picked, those 6 guys are all fighting each other. He specifically said that either Sodiq Yusuf or Arnold Allen were strong possibilities, but those dudes are fighting each other. So he's currently without an opponent, but did mention, on the video he recorded on March 9 that if Dan Ige beat Gavin Tucker, TKZ vs IGE might be A Thing

Am I reading this wrong or does this mean he turned down 3 top10 opponents? Or is he saying that UFC was talking to him like, hey we'd wish you could fight these 3, but they've already got fights lined up :shrug: (so why is this conversation happening?)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Brut posted:

Wait so

Am I reading this wrong or does this mean he turned down 3 top10 opponents? Or is he saying that UFC was talking to him like, hey we'd wish you could fight these 3, but they've already got fights lined up :shrug: (so why is this conversation happening?)

It sounds as if when they're trying to book a fight they each compile lists of good matchups and it just happened that the 6 total possible they picked are all booked.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

CommonShore posted:

It sounds as if when they're trying to book a fight they each compile lists of good matchups and it just happened that the 6 total possible they picked are all booked.

I mean it's not "just happened" if UFC is the one making the list and also UFC is the one doing the booking lol, but something is probably getting lost in translation here, I should watch the actual video, I will later.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Brut posted:

I mean it's not "just happened" if UFC is the one making the list and also UFC is the one doing the booking lol, but something is probably getting lost in translation here, I should watch the actual video, I will later.

It could be that when the UFC makes their list it comes with "you'll have to wait for a fight if you want this guy"

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6plinJXPK4

TKZ ran through the current top 10:

1. Holloway - TKZ wants to fight him, but realizes Max is waiting for a title shot
2. Ortega - fighting Volko in March
3. Zabit - nobody knows
4. Yair - on suspension (i believe due to a whereabouts violation)
5. TKZ - hello!
6. Kattar - he got the Hot Brain due to Max. TKZ's coach spoke with Kattar's coach, and Kattar wants to sit out till around June
7. Emmett - torn ACL, recovering
8. Stephens - has a LW fight booked vs Drakkar Klose in April
9. Ige - at time of filming, was booked vs Tucker
10. Yusuff - TKZ was interested in fighting him, but see below
11. Allen - TKZ also interested in fighting him, but booked vs Yusuff

It seems that TKZ was going to fight either Arnold Allen or Sodiq Yusuff, had to get knee surgery. While he was waiting/in rehab, Allen and Yusuf got put in against each other for April

E: Back at the start of February, TKZ put out a video saying he wanted either Max or Zabit, but assumed both of them were waiting for title shots. He mentions that UFC wanted him to fight someone in the top 10, but TKZ had to back out due to knee surgery (Presumably, this is Yusuff and/or Allen), but was hopeful that he could get something rebooked around April or later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfFqri41nQg

LobsterMobster fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 16, 2021

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

He should just take a fight against like Shane Burgos or Bryce Mitchell to make some won and look good and get a win.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

CommonShore posted:

He should just take a fight against like Shane Burgos or Bryce Mitchell to make some won and look good and get a win.

He claims UFC won't let him fight anyone outside the top 10 :shrug:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

He claims UFC won't let him fight anyone outside the top 10 :shrug:

well that's stupid

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
TKZ vs Bryce Mitchell would be fun, only two guys to pull of a Twister in the organization, but assuming TKZ hasn't suddenly fallen off a cliff I think it's an easy fight for him.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

CommonShore posted:

well that's stupid

welcome to the ufcs booking decisions for the past forever

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

LobsterMobster posted:

welcome to the ufcs booking decisions for the past forever

covers this, too:

Brut posted:

I mean it's not "just happened" if UFC is the one making the list and also UFC is the one doing the booking lol

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

if stephens holding onto this ranking is anything to go by, masvidal is gonna stay a top 10 ranked welterweight well into his 70s.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Foul Fowl posted:

if stephens holding onto this ranking is anything to go by, masvidal is gonna stay a top 10 ranked welterweight well into his 70s.

Per the latest rankings, Stephens moved up 1 and Ige moved down 1

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

LobsterMobster posted:

ige actually does the thing that stephens can't do but pretends he can, and this is what he gets.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

LobsterMobster posted:

Ok I know we already know the rankings don't matter but still WHAT THE loving gently caress how does this happen, holy poo poo.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

ige vs tkz is good, though obviously ige will probably wanna take some time off for his kid and to let his fist recover from the damage it took from tucker's face

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Brut posted:

Ok I know we already know the rankings don't matter but still WHAT THE loving gently caress how does this happen, holy poo poo.

Well, you see, uh...

Ige's most recent win is against an unranked guy, Gavin Tucker

Stephens's most recent win is #7 Josh Emmett

Disregard that Jeremy's win came back in 2018

Also disregard that Stephens has gone 0-4-1 since that fight

Just remember that this is Jeremy LIL HEATHEN Stephens and if you don't rank him highly enough, he will fight you in a bar.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Bar fighting is a great way for him to move up the IRL rankings tho.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I'm sad Whittaker vs. Costa is off.

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

leftist heap posted:

I'm sad Whittaker vs. Costa is off.

same, was hoping we'd get something close to rob vs romero

edit: rob is now fighting gastelum

https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/1371948474267103232?s=20

Nis fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 16, 2021

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Nis posted:

Please don’t wish such things on seemingly nice man Robert Whitaker.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Nis posted:

edit: rob is now fighting gastelum

https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/1371948474267103232?s=20

This is cool too but Gastelum's last couple fights do not inspire confidence

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

rankings schmankings, but the UFC does top 15 for a reason. if tkz wants a scrap and is willing to fight an 11-15 guy, gently caress it. don't make me wait for a tkz fight, you fucks.

that or someone needs to find zabit and make that fight happen. that'd rule

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones
RIP Gastelum

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

LobsterMobster posted:

Looks like they at least "corrected" this by setting the rankings...I think to exactly what they were before, meaning the recent knockout doesn't count for poo poo? lmao.

Ehhhhhhhhh actually the more I look at this list the more I think I agree with his placement, but it still feels weird for him not to go up. I dunno.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hey hey it’s a fight night let’s see what’s happening! This card leaves me a bit flat, honestly. There are a few lesser-known fighters who I like on it, especially WMMA-wise, but this is one of the thinnest ones I can remember in a long time. Let’s take a tour.

Disclaimer for gamblers – I am not a gambler. I talk about odds, but I use them as a talking point. When I highlight an underdog I’m not endorsing any kind of bet. Rather, I’m asserting that a fight looks more competitive to me than the betting line suggests. You’re responsible for your own decisions.

Main Card EPN/ESPN+
Main Event Derek Brunson (+155) vs Kevin Holland (-163)
This is a pretty cool fight but let me get “Kevin Holland is a garbage person who trivializes the loving pandemic we’re going through” out of the way. gently caress that guy.

So Brunson is something between “journeyman” and “perennial contender” at this point. So many times he has gotten near to the top of the heap and just gotten violently sent back down to the bottom. Perhaps he’s the Sisyphus of the UFC’s middleweight division, but with more brain damage. It’s easy to roll your eyes at Brunson but don’t forget that he has 6 first-round KOs in the UFC. He’s a good wrestler with heavy heavy hands, and good accuracy, and losing to Izzy, Jacare, Whittaker, and Romero is nothing shameful (he got robbed vs Anderson). My main criticism of Brunson is that he’s technically crude bordering on elementary, making up with his athleticism. Threaten wrestle, punch in face, move forward, rinse, and repeat until your man falls down. This is fine for putting away Dan Kelly or Ed Herman – just overwhelm them – and it can even work against an unseasoned Edmen Shahbazyan, but it won’t work against the experienced, strategic fighters at the top of the division

So who does he draw here? Why, it’s another rangy, accurate striker in Kevin Holland. Holland was one of 2020’s fighters of the year, going a record-tying 5-0 from May-December. The low point of that run was a split decision win over Darren Stewart (razor thin), but the high point was a crazy KO of Jacare that saw Holland scoring while on his back (“I had a dream about this”). His other wins were against mediocre competition not worth mentioning. But Holland is crafty, durable, and probably has more in common with the fighters who have beaten Brunson, than he does with those who Brunson has beaten.

The Shahbazyan fight is the question here, as he was supposed to represent the same thing. Oh, and Holland has never gone 5 rounds, whereas Brunson has at least been booked for 5 3 times.

Lightweight Gregor Gillespie (-230) vs Brad Riddell (+215)
I was pretty high on the Gregor Gillespie train for a while as a prospect to threaten Khabib, but then Kevin Lee decapitated him in November 2019 and he hasn’t fought since. Bernie Sanders, bitch. Gillespie is a corn-fed NCAA D1 Champion wrestler with all of the hard athleticism that represents, a good grappling layer underneath. He started his UFC career with a 6 win and 5 stoppage streak until he ran into Lee. Brad Riddell is an all-action Kiwi out of City Kickboxing and Tiger Muay Thai. He made his debut on a 2019 Melbourne card taking fight of the night in a crazy war with Jamie Mullarkey. Putting the kickboxer against the D1 wrestler seems unfair, but he actually managed to squeak out a decision over Magomed Mustafaev, a Dagestani, so he might have a chance.

Heavyweight Tai Tuivasa (-201) vs Don’Tale Mayes (+201) vs Harry Hunsucker
Tuivasa is that fat dude who drinks beer out of a shoe. He’s one of those heavyweights who looks worse in like every fight somehow. He started his UFC career with some crazy flying knee finish, then KOed another dude, then managed to get by Arlovski… but then he got TKOed by JDS (2018) and lost to Blagoy, and then looked like total loving horseshit terrible against Sergey Spivak, before getting a KO of now-retired Stefan Struve in October. Mayes isn’t much of a challenge for him, though. He’s a DWCS product who made his debut getting just clowned by Ciryl Gane (heel hook for funsies) and is now 1-2, with a decision over Roque Martinez – who is hilariously fat and slovenly, in November. This is a true trashweight fight. Drink it up and drink it down. :slick: late replacement time. Harry Hunsucker is a 7-2 American, former Hard Rock MMA (?) Heavyweight Champion who lost on Contender Series to Jared Vanderaa in November 2020, and to Don'Tale Mayes in 2016. Still truly trashweight. Probably going to be highlight worthy.

Bantamweight Adrien Yanez (-200) vs Gustavo Lopez (+191)
I recognize the names but I don’t remember them, so let’s see what my previous breakdowns reveal. In November he beat Anthony Birchak (below) by RNC 1:2:43: Love the name Gustavo. His record? Hard to say. His only UFC fight is a decision lost to Dvalishvili back in May, which was a late replacement for Borg. His overall record is 11-4 which includes a 2016 loss to Andre Ewell. I guess he failed to make an impression. Yanez won a fight by head kick 1:2:46 vs Victor Rodriguez in October: . Yanez is a 11-3 Bantamweight ranked #2 in Texas … Yanez is a contender series product with a 39 second TKO win in August. I don’t remember the head kick, but I do remember his face, and I remember being impressed.

Welterweight Song Kenan (-177) vs Max Griffin (+170)
Max Griffin is one of these dudes who every 18 months or so gives an interview to the effect of “that guy who’d win one lose one is gone – I’ve found new motivation and changed up my coaching and you’re going to see a new fighter in the cage come Saturday and the division is going to be on notice.” He’s like a wrestle, brawlery guy? His UFC record is 4-5 and his best win is Mike Perry? He got TKOed by Colby in 2016? Idk. Song is Chinese and 4-1 in the UFC. In February 2020 he KOed Callan Potter. He has good hands and good power.

Strawweight Cheyanne Buys (-345) vs Monserrat Ruiz (+309)
gently caress yeah the Killer bunny Monserrat Ruiz makes her short notice UFC debut! She’s a Mexican grappler with weird tattoos and a fun, aggressive style. She has one career loss to Danielle Taylor, though Ruiz injured her knee or something in that fight and was looking good until that point. She was also supposed to fight for the vacant Invicta title in November but the bout was cancelled after the weigh in due to covid protocols. Buys is a 5-1 American with a glamour shot for her Tapology page. She’s from DWCS and comes from Fortis MMA - the same gym as Ryan Spann, Geoff Neal, Diego Ferreira, and others. That’s all I have on her. I’m not sure why Buys is such a big favourite. Ruiz is a legit fighter and has almost twice as much experience, and she has at least been booked into a 5-round fight before.

Editorial aside: I think it’s good to put at least one fight like this on a main card. I know there are bigger names below, but give people a chance to get some exposure.

Prelims (ESPN2/ESPN+)
Bantamweight Marion Reneau (+180) vs Macy Chiasson (-200)
This was cancelled in February because Reneau tested positive for Covid, so I’ll just recycle what I wrote: This is a good matchup. Louisiana’s Chiasson was the featherweight winner of the TUF: Big People, though literally every competitor from that season who is still in the UFC is now a 135. She is 6-1 overall, 4-1 in the UFC, with a decent finishing rate. Reneau is 43, and on a 3-fight skid, though she has had a good career (finishes of McMann and Andrade) and seemed to be going strong into her early 40s. She’s a solid all-around fighter for the division and a good test for Macy. This is Macy’s fight to lose, but trust Reneau to take full advantage of any opportunity she gets.

Lightweight Leonardo Santos (+184) vs Grant Dawson (-185)
I’m unfamiliar with Santos but he’s 7-0-1 in the UFC including a TKO of Kevin Lee and a TUF Brazil championship so he’s not some random create-a-Brazilian. He fought in July 2020 and won a decision in which his opponent “was deducted two points in round 3 after multiple illegal infractions.” (Goddard, FYI). Dawson is a first-season DWCS product who is now 4-0 in the UFC with wins over Julian Erosa and Darrick Minner. Oh and some dude named “Nad.” He moves up from Featherweight and trains with James Krause. This might be one to keep an eye on.

Middleweight Trevin Giles (+125) vs Roman Dolidze (-132)
Giles scored a TKO of Bevon Lewis in November. Before that Trevin Giles’s last fight was that awesome fight where James Krause came in at like 12 hours notice. But since then he was booked to fight Kevin Holland and passed out when he was in the tunnel to walk out to the cage and that fight was cancelled. He’s mostly a brawler, and all of his losses are to guillotine. He’s 3-2 in the UFC with losses to Meerschaert and Zak Cummings, and the aforementioned split decision win over a welterweight/lightweight who had 12h notice so that should tell you where he stands. Roman is a scary looking bearded Georgian who had a really good debut in July but then squeaked out a split decision win in December against a random-rear end Brazilian.

Bantamweight Montel Jackson (-500) vs Jesse Strader (+550)
Jackson is a DWCS product who is 3-2 in the UFC. His best win is over Brian Kelleher. He last fought in July 2020, dropping a decision to Brett Johns. Hm. Why is this so lopsided on the line? Strader is not a late replacement or anything. He’s a 5-1 Combate Americas veteran whose one loss is to Marcelo Rojo, who we saw in that crazy rear end brawl last weekend vs the Quebecois dude. I’m not sure about any of this and I don’t understand why Jackson is such a big favourite, as he seems pretty mediocre too.

Bantamweight Julia Avila (-345) vs Julija Stoliarenko (+319)
Avilla is yet another one of those prospects who can’t get her poo poo together enough to get a title shot. Sure, she wins 3 fights to start her career but then she gets clowned by Sijara Eubanks (in probably what will go down as Eubanks’s career best performance – she actually looked good in that fight). Julija Stoliarenko is a former Invicta champion who lost on the TUF heavy hitters season and then got cage hugged to a decision by Yana Kunitskaya. She’s also the crazy Lithuanian who had the blood for the blood gods brawl and best b-league fight of the year against Lisa Verzoza back in March 2020. If you haven’t seen that fight go see that loving fight. Will this one be as good? Probably not, but if it sucks it won’t be because Julija is fighting in such a way that it’s bad.

Flyweight JP Buys (-135) vs Bruno Gustavo da Silva (+150)
Hey another Gustavo! Oh this one is 0-2 1NC (and he lost the NC) in the UFC. Oh well. Buys is a south African who is making his debut off of a DWCS win.

Is this Buys married to the other Buys on the card? They both train at Fortis…

Anthony Birchak vs TBA
TBA was supposed to be Johnny Eduardo. If Birchak stays on the card, here’s who he is: Birchak is making his UFC return after spending 3 years in the hinterlands. His first UFC run went 2-2, with losses to Ian Entwistle and Thomas Almeida (who were hot prospects then), but also a big KO of Joe Soto. He left on a win. He’s now on a 3-fight winning streak. He’s a good grappler and a respectably powerful puncher. Oh he’s not on a winning streak any more.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 17, 2021

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad

CommonShore posted:

Hey hey it’s a fight night let’s see what’s happening! This card leaves me a bit flat, honestly.

Thanks op

Also just a note - I think Avila hosed her back up in her last fight against Eubanks, she rocks and I am excited to see her if she's healthy

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

if tuivusa doesn't do a shoey when he wins via walk-off KO r2 (got $125 on it) I'll BAN YOU in qcs.

been warned now

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i love kevin holland and i hope he wins a belt soon. i think brunson might beat him though, if he fights smart like he did against shahbazyan. if he had fought smart since he started mma i think he would have been champion, he's got some absurd physical gifts.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Haven't been reading this thread as assiduously as I used to, so hopefully not a repost: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=468044907670345

Chael has an anecdote here about Matt Lindland's profound disappointment at being told before a match that soccer kicks to the head were not allowed. Given what a scumbag Lindland is reputed to be this does not surprise me.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

CommonShore posted:

Is this Buys married to the other Buys on the card? They both train at Fortis…

Yep

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N-bM24UQcQI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

They have some good pups

https://www.instagram.com/thebuysfam/

e: looking forward to, among other things, JULIA VS JULIJA (Stoliarenko did Lethwei in Japan, to establish her badass bonafides)

Also, hoping Chiasson continues to have Bryce Mitchell's haircut and keep kicking rear end

Ruiz rules for winning via scarfhold armlock and wearing a wrestling singlet under her rashguard and board shorts last time out

LobsterMobster fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 17, 2021