Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

Spatulater bro! posted:

Has anyone seen Pieces of Talent from 2014? It's a super low budget indie movie (~ $75,000), but it's absolutely top notch. It seems to only be available on Blu-ray/DVD directly from the director, but I absolutely encourage anyone who enjoys gory serial killer type horror to buy a copy. The acting, cinematography, story and gore effects are all A-grade. I can't believe a film this good is still relegated to the underground scene. This deserves to be on one of the major streaming sites. Shudder at the very least.

Here's the trailer, but warning it's fairly spoilery, so I suggest only watching up to the 1:30 point:
https://vimeo.com/50478243

Oh weird I know the woman who stars in this...we’re actors from the same hometown. Never heard of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Oh weird I know the woman who stars in this...we’re actors from the same hometown. Never heard of this.

Very cool. She did a very good job in it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6L1Yzc8sFw
My short film I made alone in my living room after my wife went to sleep just got second place at Frostbiter, Iceland's best (also only) horror short film festival!

Not this version though I fixed the sound and added a end title card to the version I submitted to the festival.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

If a horror movie has a great kid death I give it an extra star. I think my brain might be broken.

e: don't you dare touch that dog, though, that's a good dog who has done nothing wrong! But that kid's gotta be stopped before it turns into an adult.

The one in the original Assault on Precinct 13 was a good one.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Thought this might be of interest to you guys

https://film.avclub.com/clive-barker-s-cut-of-nightbreed-was-too-opulently-homo-1846453905

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Yo Debbie and or other Weirdos: have you got the deleted scene from The Devils handy? I watched it with my family this week and everyone wants to see the bone loving

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

A Proper Uppercut posted:

The one in the original Assault on Precinct 13 was a good one.

Blew my mind when I first saw it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

It’s a hell of a statement in your second picture.

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IS MY ILLEGITIMATE FATHER!!!

feedmyleg posted:

If a horror movie has a great kid death I give it an extra star. I think my brain might be broken.

Agreed. I think It Comes at Night had the offscreen death of a baby and it really hosed me up, but I thought higher of the movie for it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

re the person who asked me my thoughts on the new RZ album, Ill post my review when i get a chance to listen to it on ~tube hifi~ to ~appreciate it~ but i love it especially the westerny stuff i want more of that

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

DeimosRising posted:

Yo Debbie and or other Weirdos: have you got the deleted scene from The Devils handy? I watched it with my family this week and everyone wants to see the bone loving

The bone scene is spectacularly short, so don't get your hopes up. The :nws: cross humping scene on the other hand is far more spectacular.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

post-Alien chat, but RIP to Yaphet Kotto today

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

alf_pogs posted:

Aw fuckin' lame :smith:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Time to watch the Running Man

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

alf_pogs posted:

drat

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nooo. Stop killing all the alien stars!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

He was in his 80s though. Living that long is the best most people can hope for.

RIP to a real one. Tbh I never realized how much younger Sigourney was than most of the cast.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

For sure a good time to watch Live and Let Die.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

veni veni veni posted:

He was in his 80s though. Living that long is the best most people can hope for.

RIP to a real one. Tbh I never realized how much younger Sigourney was than most of the cast.

You’re not kidding! Tom Skerritt, who I always mentally picture playing John Carpenter in a biopic, is actually 15 years older than Carpenter. 87!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I know it's in bad taste since it's pages and days gone by, but everyone that said AVP is bad is actually wrong. It is better than half the movies in the franchise, and it's the most fun monster vs monster movie of the early 00's. Sure, it's hampered by being PG-13 and frantic pacing, but it's still one of PWSA's most fun movies, and it's tonally in character for the original franchise (director with distinct cinematic style and language using the Alien set-up to tell their own story).

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

I know it's in bad taste since it's pages and days gone by, but everyone that said AVP is bad is actually wrong. It is better than half the movies in the franchise, and it's the most fun monster vs monster movie of the early 00's. Sure, it's hampered by being PG-13 and frantic pacing, but it's still one of PWSA's most fun movies, and it's tonally in character for the original franchise (director with distinct cinematic style and language using the Alien set-up to tell their own story).

I don't love it but it's certainly not the worst Alien or the worst Predator movie.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I wasn’t one of the people who said it was bad but I do think it’s pretty bad. I like the buddy film aspect of it but some of those fight scenes are really corny looking imo. Also the whole “aliens built the pyramids” thing is a major pet peeve of mine. I agree it’s not the worst Alien movie (Res and Req are probably worse) or the worst Predator movie because that franchise is pretty bad outside of the first film.

loving aliens building the pyramids, like our ancestors couldn’t figure out how to make a pile of big rocks. Those complex cultures totally needed help figuring out what 3 year olds automatically do when you give them a bunch of blocks. Have some faith in humanity for christ sake, I know we’re terrible but we definitely have “pile of rocks” sorted out.

edit: Rip Yaphet Kotto :(.

e2:

FreudianSlippers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6L1Yzc8sFw
My short film I made alone in my living room after my wife went to sleep just got second place at Frostbiter, Iceland's best (also only) horror short film festival!

Not this version though I fixed the sound and added a end title card to the version I submitted to the festival.

Congrats!

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 16, 2021

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Drunkboxer posted:

Rip Yaphet Kotto :(.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

alf_pogs posted:

gently caress. I was literally thinking about him last week and how it’s awesome he’s around still, even if he’s not working. One of the all time great character actors. Never made something worse, always elevated material with his talent.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Conrad_Birdie posted:

gently caress. I was literally thinking about him last week and how it’s awesome he’s around still, even if he’s not working. One of the all time great character actors. Never made something worse, always elevated material with his talent.

He hadn't been well for some considerable time, with only one screen appearance after 2001. His last credit was reprising the role of Parker for Alien: Isolation.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

I wasn’t one of the people who said it was bad but I do think it’s pretty bad. I like the buddy film aspect of it but some of those fight scenes are really corny looking imo. Also the whole “aliens built the pyramids” thing is a major pet peeve of mine. I agree it’s not the worst Alien movie (Res and Req are probably worse) or the worst Predator movie because that franchise is pretty bad outside of the first film.

loving aliens building the pyramids, like our ancestors couldn’t figure out how to make a pile of big rocks. Those complex cultures totally needed help figuring out what 3 year olds automatically do when you give them a bunch of blocks. Have some faith in humanity for christ sake, I know we’re terrible but we definitely have “pile of rocks” sorted out.

Prometheus implies that the Engineers made pyramids/influenced humans to make pyramids, so that's not just an AVP thing. Nor is it distinct to that franchise; aliens involved with the construction of the pyramids has been a "theory" for a long time.

Also, one of the best parts of AVP is the shifting puzzles/traps/mechanisms of the pyramid they're in. Whether or not it makes any sense, it's visually one of the more interesting settings for both franchises, and it's just plain fun. AVP is a lot of fun because it never tries to be anything other than what it is, a b-movie concept like Frankenstein vs Wolfman for the 00's.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 16, 2021

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Prometheus implies that the Engineers made pyramids/influenced humans to make pyramids, so that's not just an AVP thing.

Did they say the pyramids? I thought it was just the space seed thing. It definitely didn’t have an explicit pyramid expert or anything on the team like AvP had.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

Did they say the pyramids? I thought it was just the space seed thing. It definitely didn’t have an explicit pyramid expert or anything on the team like AvP had.

People have pointed out details about Prometheus that I missed, so I'll take the L if I'm wrong, but I believe it's discussed by Noomi and her Angry/Sad loser boyfriend either when they're investigating the structures or during their speech at the beginning when they talk about all the different cave paintings/hieroglyphs that lead them to this mission.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I don't love it but it's certainly not the worst Alien or the worst Predator movie.

It's not even the worst AVP movie.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
gently caress it, let's do this:

Aliens
Alien
AVP
Prometheus
Alien3 Assembly Cut
Alien Covenant
Alien Resurrection
AVP:R
Alien3 Theatrical Cut*

Not necessarily "Which is best", but absolutely the order in which I have a desire to rewatch them.

*The ONLY thing I prefer about the Theatrical cut is the Dog getting facehugged.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Alien
Aliens
Predator 2
Predator
Alien Covenant
Alien 3
Predators
The Predator
Prometheus
AvP
AvP2
Any other alien or Predator movie they ever make in the future
Alien Resurrection

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Alien
Aliens
Alien 3
Predator
Predator 2
Alien: Resurrection
Prometheus
Alien: Convenant
Predators
AvP
AvP: Requiem

To be honest only Requiem is truly terrible to me. The rest all have something.

Not seen the Shane Black Predator, will get around to it at some point I'm sure.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 16, 2021

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Wait Predators and The Predator are two different movies? Not sure how I missed that.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

The bone scene is spectacularly short, so don't get your hopes up. The :nws: cross humping scene on the other hand is far more spectacular.

swear to god i literally searched "the devils 1971 ken russel grandier's bone" and didn't get that first result on youtube lol. thank you for your service

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

Wait Predators and The Predator are two different movies? Not sure how I missed that.

Predators is Adrian Brody on a game reserve planet. The Predator is the Shane Black one from a couple years ago.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

That totally flew under my radar (not that I have much of a Predator radar, mind you). Also the naming scheme of these movies is just the loving worst.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Predators is Most Dangerous Game on an alien planet and there's Super Predators.

The Predator is the one where Predators want to harvest autism and there's Super Predators.

Big difference.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The one thing that The Predator maybe has going for it is the huge Uber Predator but really Predators has that too so there's not much of a reason to ever watch The Predator.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

The one thing that The Predator maybe has going for it is the huge Uber Predator but really Predators has that too so there's not much of a reason to ever watch The Predator.

It came with the set, so I'll watch it at some point when I have exhausted all other options

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

It came with the set, so I'll watch it at some point when I have exhausted all other options

The price of owning Predator 2 is that you're forced to also suffer the embarrassment of owning The Predator.