Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

You are not a soldier until you kill a child.

Edit:brownie, you're doing a heck of a snipe.

Did the legion guy get to the rape planet of the R.E.B.E.L.S. vol 2?

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Well, Cable is:
a) a brickbat
b) a Bowery tough
c) so rough
d) called from a cartoon pulled out of his pantaloons

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Three years ago today I toured the DC offices in Burbank and it's really sad that most of the friends I made and stayed in contact with have since been fired.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Rhyno posted:

He fought in a lot of wars while time traveling so he meets the soldiering requirements.

If he wasn't part of a standing army that would make him an enemy combatant.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gripweed posted:

If he wasn't part of a standing army that would make him an enemy combatant.

Does the Six Pack count?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Rhyno posted:

Does the Six Pack count?

I can't keep up with how often Blackwater changes it's name.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I started reading Elliott Kalan's new series Maniac of New York. The story is basically what if Jason Takes Manhattan (with the serial numbers filed off) never ended? Four years ago on New Year's Eve there was a massacre in Time's Square with survivors reporting it was done by a man in a mask wielding an axe, subsequently dubbed "Maniac Harry" by the press. Since then he's roamed the island on Manhattan killing seemingly at random. The main characters are the gung ho new head of the underfunded Maniac Task Force and a disillusioned police officer assigned to it.

The book is a lot darker than I was expecting what with Kalan mainly being a comedy writer but I'm enjoying it.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

muscles like this! posted:

I started reading Elliott Kalan's new series Maniac of New York. The story is basically what if Jason Takes Manhattan (with the serial numbers filed off) never ended? Four years ago on New Year's Eve there was a massacre in Time's Square with survivors reporting it was done by a man in a mask wielding an axe, subsequently dubbed "Maniac Harry" by the press. Since then he's roamed the island on Manhattan killing seemingly at random. The main characters are the gung ho new head of the underfunded Maniac Task Force and a disillusioned police officer assigned to it.

The book is a lot darker than I was expecting what with Kalan mainly being a comedy writer but I'm enjoying it.

It's pretty good and also very blatantly a Friday the 13th clone. I saw a thumbnail for it on ComicVine and I thought it was an actual Friday the 13th comic because at a glance the villain's mask looks like a normal hockey mask. :v:

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/2000AD/status/1370325682123866112

:hmmyes:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Having just learned what NFTs are yesterday, I'm going to enjoy watching someone else learn what they are.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

Having just learned what NFTs are yesterday, I'm going to enjoy watching someone else learn what they are.

Swing by the doomsday economics thread in CSPAM. This has happened every weekend the last 3 weeks.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Random Stranger posted:

Imagine a slot machine, but every time you pulled the lever it burned a barrel of oil.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
So I got the first 2 Immortal Hulk Omnibusses, and they're mostly lovely, thick paper, cover and spine not folding (although the black pages pick up fingerprints immediatly which is annoying)... BUT

They collect 16/15 issues each, so the gutters are absolutely immense. I'll probably take a pic later, but it really ruins the awesome cronenberg double pages. Is there a way to avoid this other than paying out the nose for sewn hardcovers or single issues? Like, how are the shorter trades? Was thinking of buying some Dawn of X ones. I've only really read digital so far, but I don't like reading on a computer as much.

Or I could just get a good tablet I guess. That would end up cheaper.

Also, lol at the Dawn of X descriptions which have Children of the Atom 1-3 still in them despite it being delayed for a year and #1 just coming out.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Are there any good books about the rise of independent comics?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Legion update - I got pretty deep into Adventure Comics before I realized there was a new Legion book running concurrently with it because the list I'm working from jumped around too much. The other reason is that having Levitz back has been weird; he's been jumping around Legion history in Adventure Comics so it was a while before there was an issue set in the "present". Why have comic companies spent so much effort in the past fifteen years trying to make things impossible to follow?

Unfortunately, issue one of Legion Vol. 6 has probably the message that's aged the worst in the past ten years: "Yes, the racist did some torture, permanently injured you, and is utterly unrepentant, but now that the right people are in charge, you have to reach out to them and meet them in the middle."

I also just realized that I hadn't been reading R.E.B.E.L.S. volume 2 which started in 2009 but I thought was a 2011 book.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/awards_watch/status/1371524712816275459?s=20

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The rebooted R.E.B.E.L.S. turned out to be a fine space opera, but it had the problem that there was a huge cast and Vril Dox sucks up all of the oxygen in the room. Effectively nobody except Dox gets to take action or get characterization. There's a lot of "Oh yeah, I guess that character is here too," going on in the book. There is a lot of people going, "Wow, that Dox sure is a magnificent bastard!" The story is fun enough to carry the book, but if it was going to be the Vril Dox show then I'd rather it narrowed the focus a bit.

There, I've fulfilled the requirements of the thread title. :v:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

The rebooted R.E.B.E.L.S. turned out to be a fine space opera, but it had the problem that there was a huge cast and Vril Dox sucks up all of the oxygen in the room. Effectively nobody except Dox gets to take action or get characterization. There's a lot of "Oh yeah, I guess that character is here too," going on in the book. There is a lot of people going, "Wow, that Dox sure is a magnificent bastard!" The story is fun enough to carry the book, but if it was going to be the Vril Dox show then I'd rather it narrowed the focus a bit.

There, I've fulfilled the requirements of the thread title. :v:

ITT Vril Doxes himself

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I like REBELS vol 2 until the rape planet arc.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/jdkrach/status/1371466953467031557?s=20

https://twitter.com/RachaelAtWork/status/1371779554008838144?s=20

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
one weird trick, accountants hate it

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

With the way Brexit is going this could turn into a wage slump in no time. :newlol:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

JordanKai posted:

With the way Brexit is going this could turn into a wage slump in no time. :newlol:

That's when she starts "accidentally" putting a dollar sign in her domestic contracts (I'm assuming she's in the UK)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It turns out Dwayne Mcduffies three issue Ultraman series with Ultracomics was immediately followed by a five issue series with Nemesis comics.

I wonder what happened to Ultracomics.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

whoop swrong thread

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Possibly weird question, but I’d rather go through goons than overpriced eBay listings...is anyone interested in unloading their old Marvel Essentials? Especially their 80s X-Men ones?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I would if you lived in ottawa, but I’m guessing that’s not the case.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
NYC :(

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Are you just looking for x-books or other ones?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I've been reading through the Dark Horse reprints of the Marvel Conan and am almost to the end of Roy Thomas's run on it. Does anyone know if it's worth continuing after he leaves the book? He seems to have been a huge part of its success and I already own almost all of the first 14 volumes, so I'm not sure I need even more of them on my shelf unless they're pretty highly recommended.

Also, his afterwords mention the Savage Sword of Conan which ran concurrently but was only black and white--is that worth seeking out if I generally have been digging the colored Conan stories? What was the difference between them?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Savage sword rules. The art is even better, and you get some solid stories too. It’s just more conan, really.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Savage Sword jumps around the events of Conan's life whereas the main comic is a linear chronicle with a continuing story. Savage Sword also has backup material which can vary wildly in quality and fun things like movie reviews and random Robert E. Howard poetry. The most important difference is that as a magazine, Savage Sword was not subject to the comics code and got a lot saucier and gorier (but don't expect it to be X-rated or anything).

But yes they're both great (unless Michael Fleischer is writing).

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I hope this is the beginning of the end for Diamond!

Marvel is using Penguin as a distributer

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah if anything SSOC is better since it's a bit more focused on specific stories instead of trying to build up serial continuity like the comic.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Am I wrong in saying SSOC adapted the actual prose stories more than the regular book which kinda did it's own thing?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Should I track down the Dark Horse SSOC or go with the more recent hardcover Marvel omnibus reissues? It doesn't seem like the Dark Horse ones are particularly cheap, since they're several years out of print at this point.

fake edit, I think I'll have to go with Dark Horse, given the SSOC Omnibus volume 1 is like over $300 on Amazon.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

What are you doing this Thanksgiving?

https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1375991865204383746

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Not going to a comic convention, that's for sure.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Thanks for the recommendation of Maniac of New York. I read the first issue and it’s great. I’ll have to order 2 and 3 soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Not going to a comic convention, that's for sure.

It's probably 50/50 at best anyone is

https://twitter.com/arthurstacy/status/1376654777879302146?s=20