Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I'm glad they covered the two thoughts I had when I first read about this movie the other day.

"Why was John Leguizamo in a movie like that in 1997?"
and
"That's a movie poster I've known for years and have hated with a passion"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Jesus Christ, The Pest.

I vaguely remember seeing ads for it way back and thinking it looked god awful even back then but their review made me go on a youtube hunt and...holy poo poo I can't even imagine how the guys even sat through this thing. The sad part is (and I think they mention it) is that I can think of more than one person in my life who would have died laughing at it and some of the YT comments bare this out.

Like that one couple in every screening that always cackles and loses it watching the trailers where The Babies Are Really Grown Ups, The (Insert Animal) Can Play Hockey, The Fat Ugly Person is Really Funny and That Foreigner Sure Does Talk Funny.

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

Beer_Suitcase posted:

I watched this a few months ago and the title is very misleading as no one gets electrocuted instead its explosion juice that turns your eyes to blood and makes your insides fire then you explode

Its worth a watch and a tall glass of water(?)

enigmahfc posted:

Livewire is a movie I saw on Cinemax like 20 years ago late at night and I always remembered the exploding clown guy and Bronson pushing the guy in a wheelchair until he exploded and could never remember the name of and this episode made it all flood back in such a delightful way.

I've thought about this movie on and off for years but I didn't know what it was called, I just remembered red eyes and exploding people, I'm very happy to know what it's called now.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Firstborn posted:

... For some reason I thought he was in Earth Girls Are Easy but he was probably like 9 yo. Why didn't I call that in?!

Because Julie Brown is BAE?

Duckula posted:

Warriors of Virtue was genuinely one of the most painful watches for this podcast. Listener request month never fails to deliver on the most unwatchable nonsense.

30 minutes in. So far, it's the worst parts of The Neverending Story and The Forbidden Kingdom mushed together, but the villain just lights up the screen.

EDIT: Made it to the end. It feels like there are about 45 minutes missing, which is great, because more of this movie is not what the world needs, but sucks, because what's left doesn't make much sense, even as a 90's kids' fantasy adventure movie. Cut the kid and focus more on the elemental kangaroo warriors. They're who you want to see anyway.

This is it. I am Patreonizing them.

Inkspot fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 7, 2021

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Watched Warriors of Virtue on Tubi and that's certainly a movie I'm never going to think about again after listening to the episode on it!

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Is that the one with Robert the Bruce? he sure seems like he had fun.

Henker
May 5, 2009

I actually saw Warriors of Virtue in theaters and loved it because kids have bad taste. Going to avoid ever watching it again since I'm sure it doesn't hold up.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I definitely wanted to see it as a kid but never did and for some reason my Mandala Effect is that they were rabbits not kangaroo.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Yeah, I remember really wanting to see it as a kid, thinking it would be the new TMNT/Power Rangers, and for "some reason" my dad said, "Uh, no, we, uh, can't see that." And I was super bummed. In hindsight, I think he was like, no loving way am I taking you to see the ninja kangaroo movie. And he was right to do that.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

The episodes where the premise is so confounding it takes them 40 minutes to actually get more than 5 minutes into the movie itself are always good.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I can't believe they made sequels to Warriors of Virtue (direct to video) and that the guy who played Ares in Hercules/Xena died making one of them.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Tato posted:

I can't believe they made sequels to Warriors of Virtue (direct to video) and that the guy who played Ares in Hercules/Xena died making one of them.

Wikipedia posted:

On February 6, 2002, while waiting for the car back to his motel, and after completing work on Warriors of Virtue 2, Smith decided to walk around the Central China Television film studio grounds, and climbed a flimsy prop tower in a set of another film, lost his footing and fell face first approximately three stories onto concrete. He was taken to a hospital, then transferred to Beijing. He lapsed into a coma and was on life support for 10 days, until it was ended. He died on February 15, 2002.

Remember kids: don't climb stuff on a whim.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

DICK HOT DOG

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
It's still weird to me that their actual main website doesn't list all the episodes or stay up to date but I have to go to Art19.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

weekly font posted:

I definitely wanted to see it as a kid but never did and for some reason my Mandala Effect is that they were rabbits not kangaroo.

Do you also remember Captain Boomerang dying in Suicide Squad (the movie with Forest Whitaker playing Deadshoot)?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

AceOfFlames posted:

Remember kids: don't climb stuff on a whim.

This certainly sounds like a very drunk action.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Even as like an eight year old kid I remember looking at previews for Warriors of Virtue and thinking it looked like the hottest piece of garbage. Fortunately I am able to enjoy this episode today because I ended up getting it in my stocking for Christmas that year.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Skeleton War 2020
Any kind of elemental warrior was catnip for me as a kid, so I was really into Warriors of Virtue and got all the action figures but I somehow never saw the movie.

I'm sure I would have loved it because I was dumb as hell, but it's cathartic now hearing about it being boring dogshit that I missed out on by a hair.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

SkeletonHero posted:

Any kind of elemental warrior was catnip for me as a kid, so I was really into Warriors of Virtue and got all the action figures but I somehow never saw the movie.

I'm sure I would have loved it because I was dumb as hell, but it's cathartic now hearing about it being boring dogshit that I missed out on by a hair.

Same. This is, like, closing a long dormant thread in my mind of, "I really wanted to see that movie" from when I was a kid. Turns out, no, I was good.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Yeah, Goodfellas finally dropped!

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
Eric's impression of modern-day Lorraine Bracco is so mean, but ridiculously funny. I got a big hearty laugh at Andrew's quick "This-a Old-a House-a" joke too.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

HOW DID THEY GET A WAY TO WORK THE BILLY IMPRESSION ONTO THIS EPISODE

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
WLM continues to be hit and miss for me. Gremlins 2 didn’t work for me at all (with the exception of the Hulk Hogan bits, those are always fun); the Goodfellas ep is markedly better, but there’s also a whole lot of white noise, I.e. them just reiterating “this/he/she is fantastic”.

That being said, there are good discussions about the underlying theme of the movie as well, so I guess I just prefer it when they’re talking about good movies if those movies has a bit more to say.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

BigglesSWE posted:

WLM continues to be hit and miss for me. Gremlins 2 didn’t work for me at all (with the exception of the Hulk Hogan bits, those are always fun); the Goodfellas ep is markedly better, but there’s also a whole lot of white noise, I.e. them just reiterating “this/he/she is fantastic”.

That being said, there are good discussions about the underlying theme of the movie as well, so I guess I just prefer it when they’re talking about good movies if those movies has a bit more to say.

I loved their discussion on Frankie the Wop. "How, in a movie like Goodfellas, where everyone is 110% pureblooded Italian, does someone get nicknamed 'the Wop'? What do you have to do?" Only to come to the conclusion that he must sleep in a Daredevil-like sleep deprivation chamber every night, except filled with marinara sauce.

That's some good poo poo. That's why I'm a patron.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Its a pretty good ep, but 3 hours is overkill.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

"It's okay, I used my Mom's PayPal account!" got a big laugh from me.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
The Goodfellas episode was the first one I ever turned off half way through because i was bored. If it had been ( a blissful) 90 minutes, it probably have been so much better.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I watched the 30 for 30 about Henry Hill and the BC points shaving scandal. It's not the best documentary but it's good for putting some of the stuff from Goodfellas in a different, "here's what happened in real-life" context.

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008
I think the 3 hour episodes are pushing it a bit, but I understand they're all stuck in lockdown. I went back and listened to The Watcher again. The saga of Brian, Keanu Reeves' dipshit friend, always makes me laugh. I think 90 minutes is usually where their best episodes sit, time wise.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The Goodfellas episode had it's lulls but definitely some funny bits in there. I was laughing hard at the description of the guy thinking he's in another movie until he gets the poo poo beat out of him.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I liked the Goodfellas episode, it's fun to see them actually discuss a film for its merits every now and then. Especially Cabin who I forget is a really terrific critic all the time.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The contrarian king himself!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Rabbi Tupac posted:

I liked the Goodfellas episode, it's fun to see them actually discuss a film for its merits every now and then. Especially Cabin who I forget is a really terrific critic all the time.
Yeah, I really hope they one day to a monthly fancy film roundup show where they just talk straight about things.

I am curious if some of the Goodfellas lulls for people was the episode having very specifically East Coast Catholic experiences. The long coffee after dessert at big Italian (It's the same for Irish Catholic) family events loving killed me, but I could imagine it being dull if you can't relate.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

That happens at Mexican birthday parties too. All the men end up hanging out in the backyard around a camp fire drinking tequila and beers for the rest of the night.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Oh my god, the WLM for next month is Goldfinger? I think my thoughts on that movie are well documented on the forums with my Bond watch thread, but that is a super problematic movie. Before watching it for that thread, I had totally forgotten that Bond straight up rapes a woman in it. Like, not a matter of questionable consent like your usual Bond movie. Bond forceably rapes Pussy Galore in a barn in that movie. And that’s not the only problem. That movie HATES women.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

All of my bond watching was done between the ages of 6-8 as a child with my grandfather. I otherwise don’t care for Bond whatsoever. I have zero recollection for gold finger and now I feel compelled to watch it and see how bad this is.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

Oh my god, the WLM for next month is Goldfinger? I think my thoughts on that movie are well documented on the forums with my Bond watch thread, but that is a super problematic movie. Before watching it for that thread, I had totally forgotten that Bond straight up rapes a woman in it. Like, not a matter of questionable consent like your usual Bond movie. Bond forceably rapes Pussy Galore in a barn in that movie. And that’s not the only problem. That movie HATES women.

Yeah that is going to be a rough rewatch especially if none of them have rewatched it recently.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
At least the "Does this still hold up? question would come in handy.

They really should have just done Last Crusade or The Untouchables.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

https://twitter.com/WHMPodcast/status/1371823926645493764?s=20

Hell loving yes. Dark Fate was a fun time, I'm all in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cael posted:

https://twitter.com/WHMPodcast/status/1371823926645493764?s=20

Hell loving yes. Dark Fate was a fun time, I'm all in.
I bought my ticket as soon as I saw that tweet this morning. Last Blood was such poo poo, so it'll be fun to hear their takes on it.