Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Thanks for your feedback, we're functionally not doing anything about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

priznat posted:

If you let your gaming pc blast away 24/7 mining coins would it even recoup the cost of the power?

yes, probably (depending on your electricity rate). but if you are running electric heating anyway he's not wrong in saying it's exactly the same quantity of watts.

I am unsuprised there was a backlash, ecologically minded viewers hate the green implications, gamers hate GPUs being used for something other than processing graphics and miners don't want the competition.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Considering how large the fanbase of LTT is, if you're going to mobilize a significant part of it to run that stupid miner, it'll be akin to a commercial operation in environmental impact.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Didn't he say/imply he has gently caress-you money by now? How desperate do you have to be for more to take money from the "industry" directly destroying the hobby (not to mention the planet) his whole business community was built around.

priznat posted:

If you let your gaming pc blast away 24/7 mining coins would it even recoup the cost of the power?
Yes and you'll actually make a lot of money unless you're in germany or something. Like you could live off it of you had a couple of good cards.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

Didn't he say/imply he has gently caress-you money by now?

I think a lot of his income is from shilling for things via sponsored videos like this. He just timed this one poorly.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

mobby_6kl posted:

Didn't he say/imply he has gently caress-you money by now? How desperate do you have to be for more to take money from the "industry" directly destroying the hobby (not to mention the planet) his whole business community was built around.
did you not see where he just spent $70k commissioning a completely useless solid gold xbox controller? and is gonna keep it in his office rather than melt it back down, probably so he can jerk himself over it?

he has gently caress-you money. he needs more money so he can continue to waste it on more gently caress-you projects.

quote:

Yes and you'll actually make a lot of money unless you're in germany or something. Like you could live off it of you had a couple of good cards.

*until the next crypto-crash

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

FuturePastNow posted:

I think a lot of his income is from shilling for things via sponsored videos like this. He just timed this one poorly.
Well the timing is definitely not an accident, NH are throwing money around right now exactly because mining is super profitable at the moment and they're skimming off the top. He knows gamers can't buy cards and should be able to out 2 and 2 together.

Klyith posted:

did you not see where he just spent $70k commissioning a completely useless solid gold xbox controller? and is gonna keep it in his office rather than melt it back down, probably so he can jerk himself over it?

he has gently caress-you money. he needs more money so he can continue to waste it on more gently caress-you projects.

*until the next crypto-crash
Hahaha no I haven't seen that video. I don't really follow him (or anyone else) and just saw the buttcoin video in the suggestions.

True, but let's assume the bubble won't pop untill after Im dead

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

priznat posted:

If you have a recent card, yes, even if you live somewhere with expensive electricity, at current profitability. Bear in mind if you have purely resistive electric heating, in winter it's effectively cost-free (unless you fry something)

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

CoolCab posted:

but if you are running electric heating anyway he's not wrong in saying it's exactly the same quantity of watts.

I am unsuprised there was a backlash, ecologically minded viewers hate the green implications, gamers hate GPUs being used for something other than processing graphics exacerbated component shortages, and miners don't want the competition.

I have no skin in this game, and this is basically what I thought too.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 15, 2021

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Such is YouTube life.

One week you're saying, "I swear only TRUE AUTHENTIC GAMERS will get access to this cache of graphics cards that fell on my porch" and then the next week...

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Steve has a retail 11700k now so I'm sure every reviewer on the planet will have one and be pointing and laughing at Intel by next week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgFlB0HG_84

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

NurSpec posted:

Man, if that’s true, then I hope Anthony gets out of that tiny rear end apartment eventually. Going from his tech upgrade episode to these videos is fuckin whiplash.

I want Anthony to have a nice mantlepiece where he can place all of his probably furry related plushies. I also just want him to get a regular series where he talks about more technical things but that's likely the coldest take at this stage.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Worldshatter posted:

I want Anthony to have a nice mantlepiece where he can place all of his probably furry related plushies. I also just want him to get a regular series where he talks about more technical things but that's likely the coldest take at this stage.

WAN Show but its always Anthony and either Riley or James

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

WAN Show but its always Anthony and either Riley or James

Ongoing series where Anthony rolls to see which OS from which decade he’ll be using that week.
:rolldice: 90s
:rolldice: OS/2

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
just do everything with heather the new trash goblin who ruins everything in hilarious ways

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Arivia posted:

just do everything with heather the new trash goblin who ruins everything in hilarious ways

Change of plan, series where Anthony teaches Heather to use old OS’s

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kerbtree posted:

Change of plan, series where Anthony teaches Heather to use old OS’s

"Heather, not all computers have graphical user interfaces"
"whaaaaaaaat that's so trash :thumbsdown:"

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Wait, who's Heather?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Charles posted:

Wait, who's Heather?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8NFhjj0bUk&t=128s

they hired this person recently

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is "Heather" a reference I don't get?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Charles posted:

Is "Heather" a reference I don't get?

No, that's literally the woman in the video I linked. She annoyed the hell out of Linus and they hired her as a writer/host recently to basically be the iGeneration Trash Goblin on staff. She's done Techquickie at least once and a couple other things.

e: wow my brain is not working right and that's Madison not heather my apologies

heather was apparently bitwit's waifu though

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Arivia posted:

No, that's literally the woman in the video I linked. She annoyed the hell out of Linus and they hired her as a writer/host recently to basically be the iGeneration Trash Goblin on staff. She's done Techquickie at least once and a couple other things.

are you stupid

mewse
May 2, 2006

Madison was almost better than Linus at plugging lttstore.com during the 3rd gold xbox controller vid so I think she's gunning for his job

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

If anything their twitter account got funnier/ dumber with memes

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
Can anyone recommend a good tech podcast similar to the WAN show? Covering PC hardware / gaming and general tech news?

I like Luke but I'm finding Linus to be more and more jarring. The one where he watches a streamer watching his video was the final straw for me.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I enjoyed solid gold controller videos for the actual bits about casting and other technical stuff, and it does look real purdy.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Nowher posted:

Can anyone recommend a good tech podcast similar to the WAN show? Covering PC hardware / gaming and general tech news?

I like Luke but I'm finding Linus to be more and more jarring. The one where he watches a streamer watching his video was the final straw for me.

Level1 techs does a 3 times weekly news show.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Nowher posted:

I enjoy The Full Nerd from PCWorld, it's available as a podcast and on youtube.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

priznat posted:

My rent includes power, so I can stiff my landlord with the power bill.

Is this praxis?

mewse posted:

Madison was almost better than Linus at plugging lttstore.com during the 3rd gold xbox controller vid so I think she's gunning for his job

Given that Madison gave me bigger laughs than Linus ever did, I support this initiative. MTT when?

Keep Alex and Anthony though.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Put Madison in their more technical videos like with Anthony or when they're fabricating something complex.

Just add her chaos to the whole team.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Does anyone watch the Craft Computing streams?

Lardroom
Oct 15, 2012

Nowher posted:

As already mentioned Level1Techs is great.

I also love The Full Nerd.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
What the hell ever happened to Ben Heck??

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

What the hell ever happened to Ben Heck??

he became an anti-masker.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

oh really? I watched some videos on his new channel, Ben Heck Hacks, I sensed some ranting but didn't know that. drat.

edit: are you sure?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Charles posted:

edit: are you sure?

https://twitter.com/search?q=from%3Abenheck%20mask&src=typed_query&f=live

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Thanks, unsubbed

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The maker of Bill Paxton pinball is now an antimasker, oh how the mighty have fallen.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
Thanks for the suggestions for the Level1techs podcast. I listened to last three episodes on my commute and it was exactly was I was after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

:stonk:

Well thank you and to the goon who posted his Twitter handle.

God drat, first 9-11, now Trump/COVID out here breaking brains.