Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

2house2fly posted:

I was fuming because they almost had Thanos dead to rights but Star Lord hosed it up because he realised Thanos killed his girlfriend. Which is fine whatever, but Dr Strange knew that would happen and didn't just imprison Star Lord in a time bubble or some poo poo when the time came? Somehow getting the glove off Thanos would be worse than letting him snap half the universe and then letting him get drat near to snapping the whole thing??

Yes because then Tony Stark would have had it and had time to mess with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

2house2fly posted:

I was fuming because they almost had Thanos dead to rights but Star Lord hosed it up because he realised Thanos killed his girlfriend. Which is fine whatever, but Dr Strange knew that would happen and didn't just imprison Star Lord in a time bubble or some poo poo when the time came? Somehow getting the glove off Thanos would be worse than letting him snap half the universe and then letting him get drat near to snapping the whole thing??

Apparently he always gets it back after

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

KVeezy3 posted:

Yes, because then Dr. Strange would have no way to get Tony killed in that timeline.

Exactly. When Tony asks how many do 'we' win, Strange is replying where 'we' is exclusive of Tony because he hates him and wants him loving dead. Half of all live in the universe missing for five years is a decent trade to have Tony dead in all words.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Even Tony's loving ghost is still inspiring supervillains like Mysterio.

I actually love how lovely he is and how he's caused almost every problem apart from space stuff(though he also caused some of that!)

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Aquaman was not good and I don’t understand the sincerity comments. Shazam had some sparks on the family aspect but was lame overall. WW1 had something going for it until the 3rd act and WW2 blew chunks. Endgame is disposable entertainment but it was fun at the time with audience experience so it has redeeming value and then it can continue to be forgotten 5 seconds later like the entire MCU.

These are my opinions. Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I loved Aquaman, mainly from Arthur's arc of learning humility and feeling bad for letting Mantas dad die, his learning mercy and wanting to be a brother again, how much he loves his dad, and his dad's romance with Nicole Kidman.

Just a really satisfying feel good film with really fun action and set pieces.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Miching Mallecho posted:

I dislike Endgame because it's 3 hours and every time I watched it, I felt empty. It just feels like an empty movie.

The first time I saw Endgame, I was stoned to the gills on IV painkillers, so I didn't really pay attention to much of what was going on, and all of the lovely action sequences gave me a headache. A few months ago, a friend put me on his Disney+ account, so I decided to watch it again, sober as the Pope, and "empty" is the perfect word to describe it.

I laughed aloud, in a "you've got to be loving joking" way, when it ended with Steve and Peggy dancing, fade to black, and credits started rolling in this really elegant font and that song is playing. It was like Endgame was pretending to be some epic masterwork like Lawrence of Arabia or a Terence Malick movie, not three loving hours of action figures smashing together.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think Shazam is exactly the movie it needed to be, but I can see how it wouldn't please everyone.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Timby posted:

It was like Endgame was pretending to be some epic masterwork like Lawrence of Arabia or a Terence Malick movie, not three loving hours of action figures smashing together.

Anyway, back to Justice League, :v:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My official pre-Zack Snyder's Justice League DCEU rankings:

1) Man of Steel
2) Batman V Superman Ultimate
3) Aquaman
4) Birds of Prey
5) Wonder Woman
6) Suicide Squad
7) Wonder Woman 1984
8) Shazam!
9) Justice League

I don't actually dislike any of these except 9. I really hope Suicide Squad gets an Ayer cut. It's a mess but I really love individual scenes and beats and the production design.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

RBA Starblade posted:

Anyway, back to Justice League, :v:

CONFIRMATION BIASSSSSSSSS

:smuggo:

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Speaking of which someone convince Scorsese to do a cape flick.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gatts posted:

Speaking of which someone convince Scorsese to do a cape flick.

Martin Scorsese's Made Man

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

RBA Starblade posted:

Martin Scorsese's Made Man

John Cena is... Maid Man! He's gotta clean up the house, but protect the family and maybe learn to relax and become great with kids? Will their single mom go gaga for him? You CAN SEE him this January.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

John Wick of Dogs posted:

John Cena is... Maid Man! He's gotta clean up the house, but protect the family and maybe learn to relax and become great with kids? Will their single mom go gaga for him? You CAN SEE him this January.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1371831377721720836

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

1) Man of Steel
3) Aquaman
4) Birds of Prey
5) Wonder Woman
6) Suicide Squad
7) Wonder Woman 1984
8) Shazam!
9) Justice League

I don't actually dislike any of these except 9. I really hope Suicide Squad gets an Ayer cut. It's a mess but I really love individual scenes and beats and the production design.

I haven't seen Birds of Prey or either Wonder Woman or any Justice League version yet. Are any of these essential before watching the Snyder cut?

I did revisit MoS and it's a wonderful movie full of emotion, and Aquaman is light fun, though a little overlong, and literal Black Manta was funny, though a great character.

Also re-watched Joker and the best joke in the movie is that Bruce Wayne will spend his father's money on the Batman project when putting it towards social services would go much further towards preventing crime in Gotham City.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

PeterCat posted:

I haven't seen Birds of Prey or either Wonder Woman or any Justice League version yet. Are any of these essential before watching the Snyder cut?

No. You already know all you need to know about WW going into JL if you've watched BvS.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

2house2fly posted:

If I remember right, Endgame also implies that animals got snapped. Like when Hulk wishes everyone back, the first sign it worked is birds flying around, right? Which is nuts to think about. Like there's a billion cows in the world, so 500 million cows got snapped, and then reappeared 5 years later out of nowhere

Forget about the cows, think about all the extra pigs. Pork prices would plummet, leading to the long prophesized Year of the McRib.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Mantis42 posted:

Forget about the cows, think about all the extra pigs. Pork prices would plummet, leading to the long prophesized Year of the McRib.

But her pork futures

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

1) Man of Steel
3) Aquaman
4) Birds of Prey
5) Wonder Woman
6) Suicide Squad
7) Wonder Woman 1984
8) Shazam!
9) Justice League

1) BvS
2) Man of Steel
3) Wonder Woman
4) Shazam!
5) Aquaman
6) Birds of Prey
7) Suicide Squad
8) WW84
not even bothering to count JL'17 because bleh

And similarly up to item 7 I basically like all the movies, 3-6 in particular are pretty clustered together for me and the order could change depending on my mood that day. Suicide Squad is firmly below those because of studio fuckery but it's got enough of the interesting ideas left that I can put it on and be entertained. WW84 is once again well below SS and past the "this is bad" dividing line, and JL doesn't even register because of how bad that is. BvS being #1 is more about personal preference, I recognize MoS is a more solid film overall but holy moley does BvS get gonzo.

I honestly like Wonder Woman's entire first 2/3rds enough that the eventual shoddy ending doesn't tarnish it much for me. It maybe even does the ragtag camaraderie better than Captain America: First Avenger, the extended cast is amazing, etc. it just has a dumb end boss fight is the one super glaring flaw.

Shazam! similarly was a lot of fun despite some of the pandering. The family aspect is legit great and something that I think hasn't even been handled that well in any other super hero movie. I also if I'm being honest don't really agree with the oft repeated complaint about the Billies acting differently. The adult Billy acts a little more exasperated for a bunch of the run time mainly because he is immediately dealing with wilder stuff (first his transformation, then demonic bad guys showing up) but otherwise a lot of their mannerisms are traded pretty well IMO

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

This is from a new TV spot called "The End of Everything". If you don't know the full JL story that Snyder had planned then there are spoilers. It has some new and really nice shots of Darkseid. So far I've only found 480p versions.

I didn't link the URL because the thumbnail is a potential spoiler.

youtube.com/watch?v=_-aX8npYkwc

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 16, 2021

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Mr. Apollo posted:

This is from a new TV spot called "The End of Everything". If you don't know the full JL story that Snyder had planned then there are spoilers. It has some new and really nice shots of Darkseid. So far I've only found 480p versions.

youtube.com/watch?v=_-aX8npYkwc

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I say this as someone who cried during Endgame, but it is real rich the Russos new movie is getting trashed the same week ZSJL is being called "the comic movie Scorsese complained doesnt exist".

I do think Cherry looks good and I love the Russos so I hope the critics are wrong but I cant help but smirk at the contrast to the BvS/Civil War release proximity.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 16, 2021

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Russo have a new movie? It's it the one with Spider-Man and Rey on an adventure?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

1080P version youtube.com/watch?v=OsqZ7qKCePI

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

PeterCat posted:

I did revisit MoS and it's a wonderful movie full of emotion

Wonder Woman 1 isn’t exactly essential, but it‘s the movie that’s most aesthetically and thematically aligned with Snyder’s trilogy. There’s a ton of intertextuality with Man Of Steel, and it’s probably smooths the transition into the wilder Amazonian and Atlantean stuff in ZSJL.

Basically, if you watched Man Of Steel and Ultimate Edition, and you’re up for another two hours of that, you can’t really go wrong there.

WW 1984, on the other hand, is designed to be as un-Snydery as possible, and almost literally takes place in some kind of dream sequence.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 17, 2021

Violator
May 15, 2003

Mr. Apollo posted:

Well poo poo. I know it all but wasn't sure what they would actually use or show in this version. "Eh, it's a tv spot, how bad could it be?" My semi-blackout is going full watching no more footage until release.

Although this looks a vision Superman has as Darkseid tries to poison his mind, so it's potentially not real.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Russo have a new movie? It's it the one with Spider-Man and Rey on an adventure?

TrueAnon podast has the author of the book its based on this week and the projects sound....different.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Oh poo poo, this new trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEXW_NUXEb8

OH poo poo

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

drat, that's nice.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

hiddenriverninja posted:

drat, that's nice.

I never thought I'd see Darkseid on the silver screen.

He looks loving perfect.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

1) Man of Steel
3) Aquaman
4) Birds of Prey
5) Wonder Woman
6) Suicide Squad
7) Wonder Woman 1984
8) Shazam!
9) Justice League

1) Batman v Superman
2) Man of Steel
3) Aquaman
4) Birds of Prey
5) Suicide Squad
6) Wonder Woman
7) Shazam
8) Wonder Woman 84
9) Justice League Whedon Cut

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Horizon Burning posted:

now that we know how snyder wanted the diana and steppenwolf fight to look, it's intriguing that

1. whedon shoved batman and stuff in there, basically taking the emphasis away from the female superhero and

2. added in the line about how steppenwolf killed women

Yeah you know that line, "Child, my axe is still wet with the blood of your sisters!" felt odd to me. In itself its not too bad, but it does feel a bit creepy in context of everything. But maybe that's overanalyzing? With a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Also, we don't know how many of these things were actually in the original Snyder cut, but then after seeing Wheedon's cut or the reaction to it, Snyder could have had second thoughts and then edited out, even though it wasn't necessarily Wheedon's doing.

Has anybody ITT seen the workprint? It'd be real interesting to compare all 3. I guess you'd also need to look at the scripts.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The only person who’s seen the work print is Zack Snyder

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah you know that line, "Child, my axe is still wet with the blood of your sisters!" felt odd to me. In itself its not too bad, but it does feel a bit creepy in context of everything. But maybe that's overanalyzing? With a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Also, we don't know how many of these things were actually in the original Snyder cut, but then after seeing Wheedon's cut or the reaction to it, Snyder could have had second thoughts and then edited out, even though it wasn't necessarily Wheedon's doing.

Has anybody ITT seen the workprint? It'd be real interesting to compare all 3. I guess you'd also need to look at the scripts.

Zack Snyder has never seen the Whedon cut. Christopher Nolan went to the premier and as soon as it was over called Zack and told him he must never watch the film because it would be too heartbreaking.

It's actually pretty amusing to see on Vero sometimes people ask him questions like "Was the Russian family in your version?" and he's like "The what!?"

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

According to Robot Style, who has posted info that has proven true before, he followed that up with a line about his axe “suckling” WW. So no, you’re right on the money that it’s mega creepy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Regardless, I think what I'm getting to is that you absolutely can tell violent stories or stories where people die or even stories where the bad guys win with Superman. Kingdom Come used to be a fan favorite about Superman nearly going crazy and killing a bunch of people. All-Star Superman is literally about Superman dying and one of its most iconic moments is Superman making a mistake that stops him from saving his father. An old gem of 90s comics is the Superman Hitman issue where Superman talks about what it's like to not save a dying astronaut. The first Superman movie has Lois Lane horrifically die.

I think that when Superman came out there were a lot of very online people who tried to prove how Man of Steel is scientifically bad and that's wrong because Superman's a fictional character, but you can do whatever you want with it. As someone who doesn't love MoS, I think there are other reasons that I don't really care for the movie.

Like the answer to my question about the S:TAS stuff is that people just liked those stories.

I agree with this completely.

There's actually a lot about MOS that I really like. I have to give Snyder a ton of credit for being the first real example I know of, of doing proper live-action Akira Toriyama fighting. I've honestly been waiting for a superhero movie to go balls out and full dragon ball z, and he actually loving did it. I think the Smallville fight works fantastic, although the Metropolis one less so. But just going there with the budget and the choreography is really impressive. I think the cinematography at times makes mistakes; the fake camera focus and shake makes it harder to follow the already extremely kinetic action, rather than doing the JJ Abrams thing he should have done like George Miller in Fury Road and totally locked the camera center on Superman during super fast combat, so your eyes can follow the action easier. At times the Metropolis fight starts to feel like Transformers where things are just kinda getting smashed but its just a mess of noise and metal.

But superman killing Zod isn't the problem with the movie for me. Superman stories can definitely go darker, although I'd prefer a bit more of a lighthearted / heroic superman, and I can see they were trying to be more different than the Christopher Reeve Supe and definitely more different than the Brandon Routh Supe, and like you said I think even going dark or darker you can still make it work better, but there's a bunch of things in MOS and BVS that just feel off.

I watched a review of MOS last night of someone who went back to it and liked it more than originally in theaters, and the point he made is that it works better for Superman to kill people than for Batman to kill people, and I totally agree. I think dark stories with Superman can be great; Flashpoint is amazing if done well and it looks like they're trying. But there's a lot about that which has to be set up and handled right with character development.

Zack Snyder has never seen the Whedon cut. Christopher Nolan went to the premier and as soon as it was over called Zack and told him he must never watch the film because it would be too heartbreaking.

It's actually pretty amusing to see on Vero sometimes people ask him questions like "Was the Russian family in your version?" and he's like "The what!?"

That is funny. I figure he still had most of that footage available in the editing room though, right?

Or did they straight up burn all the Whedon shots when he went to make the HBO Snyder Cut?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

He had his own cut that had never been touched by whedon and worked exclusively from that