Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it takes time to learn each spell much less master its use, and who has enough time to master everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah it more or less makes sense. Someone who can cast "decapitate" in half a second is going to beat someone who knows ten different murder spells but takes two seconds to cast any of them most of the time.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

It's not very surprising to me that people are mostly fighting by using highly specific magic creatively when Frieren moves heaven and earth to get a whole book that teaches the spell of 'clean wine stains from wool pants'

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Fern herself is just as limited because she only seems to use the modified version of soul track and the defense spells Frerien taught her. Everyone seems to know how to levitate and the like so the gen-ed spells are learnable.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Yeah, Fern’s only advantages are good control and high speed. Frieren only has a variety because she’s ancient and her gimmick is learning weird poo poo. I’m sure that all of them know many more spells, but the things they’re good enough at to use in high speed combat are limited in number.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
frieran's style is incredibly practical. focus on defending yourself and then kill your opponent using the most basic effective spell when you get an opening. if there's no opening, then make one with brute force. that's all she uses for combat. the paralysis guy is somewhat similar, though he sacrificed efficiency due to his hangups. it's only outside of combat that her incredible spell repertoire comes into play.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder how many of the mages would freak if Frieran just unleashes her full aura.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
she's powerful but not uniquely so.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Frieren's combat style is designed for taking down demons, who are up their own asses how good they are at magic. Of course it should work for haughty humans.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
That demon seemed very impressed by it right before she :ese:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

she's powerful but not uniquely so.

She has vastly more mana than anyone weve met in the manga by dint of just living for long enough.

A skilled mage can take on a powerful mage and win (see frierens master) but if it comes down to blasting power levels at each other frieren would win.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
I liked how as Fern's attacks got stronger, Ehre pulled her body into a ball to lessen the amount of space she had to defend. That's a nice detail.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
It's a really interesting question, what would happen if Frieren tried to intimidate the others with her mana. But you have to consider that this test is in the North and we have at least one mage who's fought quite a few demons. It's likely to scare a few but the others who have experience fighting opponents with much higher mana would just see it as a beacon and home in on her.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I Am Fowl posted:

It's a really interesting question, what would happen if Frieren tried to intimidate the others with her mana. But you have to consider that this test is in the North and we have at least one mage who's fought quite a few demons. It's likely to scare a few but the others who have experience fighting opponents with much higher mana would just see it as a beacon and home in on her.
Even if Frieren has the de facto highest mana output from a thousand years of training?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mana output isn't power level unless you are that one specific demon.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It'd be neat to get a better handle on what other mage's mana maximum is in comparison to Frieran.

Knowing how much she has would definitely cross off 'Battle of Attrition' as a strategy to fight her though.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

most likely outcome would be everyone deciding to band up to take frieren and that's either 'she dies' or 'she has to kill a lot of wizards' and neither are outcomes she'd like

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Patware posted:

most likely outcome would be everyone deciding to band up to take frieren and that's either 'she dies' or 'she has to kill a lot of wizards' and neither are outcomes she'd like

Oh I didn't even mean during this competition, just as a thing that happens later on in the manga so we all know what the general mana capacity of mages who don't get super special tutors is.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Patware posted:

Well, they could just kill one of her teammates. All three have to survive, right?

As I see it, continuing to go as she's been going is the best route, especially since she's able to quite effectively hide herself from other mages when not casting magic.

You know, a thought occurs that this trial with the Stille might even be inspired by Frieren's ability to hide her mana, since the easiest way to get near one is the hide one's mana completely.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Frieren: Journeys End wins Manga Taisho Award.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-03-15/frieren-beyond-journey-end-wins-14th-manga-taisho-awards/.170587

I wonder if that series is related to Frieren at the Funeral.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

That is the english translation kashira.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Grouchio posted:

That is the english translation kashira.

Ah, thank you oyabun.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Chapter 42

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Get dunked on Byakuya Kuchiki.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I'm glad Wirbel found a bird. His magic is really, really cheap though.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
uh oh, Laufen has awoken the dragon

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I like this series a lot. But man, everyone sounds and acts the same. :effort:

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Yeah I like the manga but I'm honestly surprised it won the award this year. It isn't comparable in quality to stuff like Kowloon Generic Romance, imo. Definitely not as good as Blue Period which was the last winner.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Chas McGill posted:

Yeah I like the manga but I'm honestly surprised it won the award this year. It isn't comparable in quality to stuff like Kowloon Generic Romance, imo. Definitely not as good as Blue Period which was the last winner.

What were the other runners?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Oshi no Ko, Chi -Chikyū no Undō ni Tsuite-, Spy x Family, Mizu wa Umi ni Mukatte Nagareru, BL Metamorphosis, Kaiju no 8, Kowloon Generic Romance, Onna no Sono no Hoshi, and Karaoke Iko

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Oshi no Ko, Chi -Chikyū no Undō ni Tsuite-, Spy x Family, Mizu wa Umi ni Mukatte Nagareru, BL Metamorphosis, Kaiju no 8, Kowloon Generic Romance, Onna no Sono no Hoshi, and Karaoke Iko
Someone call the police. I'd like to report a robbery

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Chapter 43: Privilige

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Was wondering if the mages getting killed was gonna get brought up or not. Also, surprising to see another elf and one that's likely even older than Frieren.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Getting the impression that she started all of this because she was bored and hosed up - who cares if a bunch of mages die? At least it keeps things interesting

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1374986317973528582

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

What do you think caused this boom in sales?

Edit nvm read the tweet better

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

Is there any similar data for manga that was nominated for the prize? I’m curious about Kowloon Generic Romance.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
chapter 44

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Instructors: We're Geniuses!
*Frieren begins removing the ultra barrier*
Instructors: Oh no!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Just want to confirm:
People know Frieren as the mage from the heros party, But do they know she was Flammes apprentice, and is old as gently caress?