Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Having an issue with my old-rear end Epson sx420w. It's one of those rip-off scanner/printers where it bricks if it's out of ink. It's been out of ink for about 8 years but I've been able to use it as a scanner (with Windows' own scanning program) through WiFi. Problem is, my old router died so now I can't connect the thing to my PC through the new one anymore as the Network Settings aren't accessible because the printer won't do anything without ink, even let you access settings. Connecting through USB is a no-go for long-term because the printer is huge.

Is there a way to make the thing think it has full cartridges? It uses the ones with the drat microchip that tells (read: lies) how much ink is left. I don't mind messing it up because I'll never need to print with it but I do need the scanner to work again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

Scruffpuff posted:

How would I change the fan configuration to get that GPU heat out of the system while giving the AIO radiator a cooler spot?
Can you move the radiator to an intake? If it doesn't reach the front intakes, you could make one of the top fans an intake. Use a fan made for pressure, so just move the fan with the rad. It'll cause some re-circulation of air, but the rad will be cooler than when it's sucking case air.
If you do this, make sure your CPU/pump is not the highest point of the cooler loop, or air will accumulate in your CPU block and wear out your pump. If you use weird intake configurations like rear intake and top intake, make sure it's filtered for dust.

Vir fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Mar 16, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Scruffpuff posted:

I've got a cooling question for anyone with experience in this sort of thing. I have an i7-9700K CPU with an AIO liquid cooler. Ideal temps for this chip according to Intel are 80 C or below. If I run a stress test on it, it sits in the low to mid 60s, so that cooler is working great.

My video card is a 2700 Super, those temps rarely go above the 60s as well, even under load. No problems there.

The issue I'm having is when both are taxed simultaneously. Under that load, the GPU stays at its normal good temps, but the CPU can spike above 80 degrees, which I'd prefer to avoid. There are 3 120mm fans intake on the front of the case, and 3 120mm fans exhaust out the back and top.

Here's my theory of what is happening: one of the 3 exhaust fans, the one going out the back instead of the two on top, is also the one blowing through the AIO cooler radiator. So the hot air coming up from the GPU is primarily getting vented out the AIO radiator, which means the CPU is not getting the colder air it should across those fins. The radiator at those times is very hot to the touch, even though during a CPU stress test alone it's barely warm.

How would I change the fan configuration to get that GPU heat out of the system while giving the AIO radiator a cooler spot?

I think the first thing to do is make sure your stress test is fully stressing the cpu, so use Prime 95 and see if you don't get the same mid 80s temps.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Another question is if the fan pushing air through the radiator is made for the purpose (dynamic pressure) and if it's running fast enough. The radiator gives more impedance to air than the other exhaust locations, so you might just not have enough air moving through it. Lots of warm air moving across a component cools it down more than a little cold air does. If the inside of your case is just getting too warm, then increasing the speed of the intake fans might be the solution. But if too little air is moving through the radiator, then the speed of that fan needs to be following the CPU temperature, or it might need to be replaced with a fan made for radiators.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

VelociBacon posted:

I think the first thing to do is make sure your stress test is fully stressing the cpu, so use Prime 95 and see if you don't get the same mid 80s temps.

Just did this, topped out at 67 degrees.

Vir posted:

Another question is if the fan pushing air through the radiator is made for the purpose (dynamic pressure) and if it's running fast enough. The radiator gives more impedance to air than the other exhaust locations, so you might just not have enough air moving through it. Lots of warm air moving across a component cools it down more than a little cold air does. If the inside of your case is just getting too warm, then increasing the speed of the intake fans might be the solution. But if too little air is moving through the radiator, then the speed of that fan needs to be following the CPU temperature, or it might need to be replaced with a fan made for radiators.

This could be it. The fan moving across the radiator is the same fans I've got everywhere, a set of 120mm, connected to the same power and running at the same speed. I'm going to investigate this next and see what I can do to replace that with a fan fit for purpose. Thanks!

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Scruffpuff posted:

This could be it. The fan moving across the radiator is the same fans I've got everywhere, a set of 120mm, connected to the same power and running at the same speed. I'm going to investigate this next and see what I can do to replace that with a fan fit for purpose. Thanks!
Yeah, that's likely the solution. The top fans are starving the radiator of air, and even worse they are taking away some of the cool intake air before it makes it to the rear radiator. This means your GPU and motherboard are nice and cool, but the radiator sips warm air from the GPU.

If there's space for it, you might put a fan behind and ahead of the radiator in push-pull configuration, on a CPU-bound fan curve. That might improve airflow through the radiator without having to buy more fans, although it's not the ideal configuration. That means two fans on the radiator and only one fan in the rear top. You might even be better off without the top fan altogether - just test it with and without it.

Vir fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 16, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
All I did today is install a cumulative windows update and now my Bluetooth is completely gone. No icon, troubleshoot says there’s no hardware for it, reinstalling the Intel drivers from ASUS does nothing.

-ASUS B550m Wifi Plus
-Bluetooth enabled in BIOS

I just bought this motherboard like a week ago, could the Bluetooth controller have just died?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Rolo posted:

All I did today is install a cumulative windows update and now my Bluetooth is completely gone. No icon, troubleshoot says there’s no hardware for it, reinstalling the Intel drivers from ASUS does nothing.

-ASUS B550m Wifi Plus

I just bought this motherboard like a week ago, could the Bluetooth controller have just died?

I'd reinstall all mobo drivers and see if your BIOS is the newest revision also.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

My HyperX Cloud II 3.5 jack has stopped transmitting microphone signals. Output is still good, but input just shows a little spike when I plug in and then there's nothing. Not an uncommon problem for any headset eventually, I guess, but is there anything I can do to rectify this?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Black Griffon posted:

My HyperX Cloud II 3.5 jack has stopped transmitting microphone signals. Output is still good, but input just shows a little spike when I plug in and then there's nothing. Not an uncommon problem for any headset eventually, I guess, but is there anything I can do to rectify this?

That will depend on where it's broken. You can certainly replace the plug if it's broken at the plug like so (it's pretty common for the wires to break there since there's not much strain relief):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYhK-pSqaao

If it's broken inside the headset then you might need to solder it where it connects, or even replace the cord if it's broken at some point along it (I'd look for weird lumps or pinches).

For the plug you want to buy a TRRS plug (tip ring ring sleeve, so four conductors). https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=trrs+plug

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Oh god, that's like five skills and a dozen pieces of equipment I don't have access to, but at least I know. Thanks.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Hey yall, quick question, what's the go to pick for a cable modem/router? We have Cox and I'd like to save my moms the money by getting rid of the equipment rental fee we pay for the modem/router they provided.

If this isn't the right thread please direct me to it! Thanks in advance.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Hey yall, quick question, what's the go to pick for a cable modem/router? We have Cox and I'd like to save my moms the money by getting rid of the equipment rental fee we pay for the modem/router they provided.

If this isn't the right thread please direct me to it! Thanks in advance.

This would be a better thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442319

They are definitely gonna say don’t get a combo unit though!

That same question came up a few weeks ago and that thread is very knowledgeable.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Rolo posted:

-ASUS B550m Wifi Plus

I had this issue as well. I had to turn off the computer, unplug it and plug it back in. No amount of driver fuckery corrected it otherwise.

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009

Gothmog1065 posted:

Goons have any recommendations on a KVM? Don't need anything fancy, HDMI with KB/Mouse capability, only need 2 PC's. I would use Synergy but my work PC is on a VPN and I don't think Synergy is going to work correctly in that instance.

When I'm done, I'll have 3 monitors, where the middle monitor will be split between home/work, so I'm not constantly unplugging and ruining my HDMI cable, plus I get to use my mechanical keyboard which is so much nicer than a drat laptop keyboard.

I've noticed a ton of cheap knockoff styles on Amazon and Newegg with prices ranging from "That'll probably burn down my house" to "uh, no". I just wasn't sure if there was a 'better' one that people prefer.

e: I don't know how HDMI KVMs work as I haven't used a KVM in forever and it's always been with VGA. If it's possible to keep the monitor "alive" so I'm not actually disconnecting the second monitor when switching back and forth would be amazing.

e2: Also, I *CAN* use Display port. I can adapt them on the back end for the monitors since I'm using a mishmash of connector adapters anyways.

I'm in this exact same situation except my monitors are DP.

I'd consider trading both monitors between the two PCs, but one of them is a high refresh rate gaming monitor and I haven't seen any KVMs that are likely to work for that. So anything reliable with a single DP functionality would be best. I don't even mind switch peripherals if I have to.

Please help us goons. Surely one of you is neckbearded enough to still be using a physical KVM switch in your home in TYOOL 2021

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Ajaxify posted:

I'm in this exact same situation except my monitors are DP.

I'd consider trading both monitors between the two PCs, but one of them is a high refresh rate gaming monitor and I haven't seen any KVMs that are likely to work for that. So anything reliable with a single DP functionality would be best. I don't even mind switch peripherals if I have to.

Please help us goons. Surely one of you is neckbearded enough to still be using a physical KVM switch in your home in TYOOL 2021

One option is to just remote desktop into your work laptop if you're able to.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

tuyop posted:

I had this issue as well. I had to turn off the computer, unplug it and plug it back in. No amount of driver fuckery corrected it otherwise.

Oh wow this fixed it first try.

Thank you!

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Is there any difference at all in three pin power cords? Can I just grab a longer one off Amazon?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Is there any difference at all in three pin power cords? Can I just grab a longer one off Amazon?

Not really. Some of them have thicker conductors if they're longer but for most computers anything will be sufficient. I got these a few years back for some longer reach and they're good quality:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WA0WBHI/

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Rexxed posted:

Not really. Some of them have thicker conductors if they're longer but for most computers anything will be sufficient. I got these a few years back for some longer reach and they're good quality:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WA0WBHI/

Good to know, thanks.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

MarcusSA posted:

This would be a better thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442319

They are definitely gonna say don’t get a combo unit though!

That same question came up a few weeks ago and that thread is very knowledgeable.

Muchos grassy rear end.

I'll go ask there!

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Ajaxify posted:

I've given up on KVM switches and instead use multi-input monitors. The LevelOneTechs YouTube channel used to sell a Displayport 1.4 switch, and they have the HDMI 2.0 switch still available. The only KVM I can find locally only supports Displayport 1.2, unfortunately. I suppose the Monitor/Display megathread knows more about this: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3372494

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Edit: Nevermind

Ape Has Killed Ape fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Mar 20, 2021

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

I recently started gaming with a friend using a microphone but I am having sound quality issues. I am using for it my sony wh-1000xm3 headphones which have the mic included.

ATM I get either poo poo audio and the mic works or I get good audio and the mic does not work. Is this a regular situation when gaming? Do I need a separate physical mic so that it would be a separate device in windows or is this something that can be fixed with software/settings?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SirTagz posted:

I recently started gaming with a friend using a microphone but I am having sound quality issues. I am using for it my sony wh-1000xm3 headphones which have the mic included.

ATM I get either poo poo audio and the mic works or I get good audio and the mic does not work. Is this a regular situation when gaming? Do I need a separate physical mic so that it would be a separate device in windows or is this something that can be fixed with software/settings?

Some headset mics are good and some are bad. The first thing to do is to download Audible (or google 'audio record online' etc) and try recording yourself and playing it back so you can hear if it's your hardware. If it's fine, what are you using for your voice comms? Discord is pretty good quality, you might want to redo the audio wizard in whatever you're using. If you're using a game's built-in audio it's possible that the codec in the game sucks and you guys should use discord instead.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

VelociBacon posted:

Some headset mics are good and some are bad. The first thing to do is to download Audible (or google 'audio record online' etc) and try recording yourself and playing it back so you can hear if it's your hardware. If it's fine, what are you using for your voice comms? Discord is pretty good quality, you might want to redo the audio wizard in whatever you're using. If you're using a game's built-in audio it's possible that the codec in the game sucks and you guys should use discord instead.

Did you mean Audacity (instead of Audible)?

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

SirTagz posted:

ATM I get either poo poo audio and the mic works or I get good audio and the mic does not work. Is this a regular situation when gaming?
Sounds like the headset is dropping from full A2DP audio quality to phone quality audio in HFP or HSP whenever you use the microphone. This is typical of many Bluetooth headsets and speakers, and might be unavoidable to get the audio stream through the Bluetooth bandwidth. Which motherboard and/or Bluetooth module are you using? Unless this is fixable with changing settings somewhere, you might have to use a separate microphone to get good quality audio.

Edit: The only way I imagine to fix this is if you can force the audio to be transmitted in a better compression algorithm which leaves more bandwidth for the microphone, but I'm not sure if this is possible

Vir fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 22, 2021

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

sb hermit posted:

Also Windows has a built in voice recorder app, just use that

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

sb hermit posted:

Yeah sorry I did mean that.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

SirTagz posted:

Oh, I got those headphones too and I've used the mic just twice because of how garbage quality it is. Once for a phone call and the other side couldn't understand most of what I said and once for Discord call, the other side understood me but complained about the crap quality.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

VelociBacon posted:

Sininu posted:

Oh, I got those headphones too and I've used the mic just twice because of how garbage quality it is. Once for a phone call and the other side couldn't understand most of what I said and once for Discord call, the other side understood me but complained about the crap quality.

Vir posted:

Sounds like the headset is dropping from full A2DP audio quality to phone quality audio in HFP or HSP whenever you use the microphone. This is typical of many Bluetooth headsets and speakers, and might be unavoidable to get the audio stream through the Bluetooth bandwidth. Which motherboard and/or Bluetooth module are you using? Unless this is fixable with changing settings somewhere, you might have to use a separate microphone to get good quality audio.

Edit: The only way I imagine to fix this is if you can force the audio to be transmitted in a better compression algorithm which leaves more bandwidth for the microphone, but I'm not sure if this is possible

Thank you all for your advice. I ponied out for a cheap microphone so that I could have different devices for listening/talking and it worked out great. Even moved to Discord instead of the in-game voice and it got even better. No complaint any more.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
I am fed up with grainy-rear end bad-autoexposure Logitech webcams. What's the next level up after webcam tier to get my ugly mug into video calls in delicious HD quality? I am fine with HDMI output if it is not a USB-connected device.

I tried some old Sony cameras I had in my drawer and the HDMI output was distinctly 360p quality. Called the local Sony store and the sales rep literally said all their cameras have garbage grainy output over HDMI and don't do anything useful over USB. Not sure where to really go from there or what website to take seriously (many seem random affiliate link blogspam).

Not looking to spend for studio equipment but surely there must be something between studio quality and garbage webcam for all those streamers, right? What are some devices I should look at?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What model Logitech webcams have you been using?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

EssOEss posted:

I am fed up with grainy-rear end bad-autoexposure Logitech webcams. What's the next level up after webcam tier to get my ugly mug into video calls in delicious HD quality? I am fine with HDMI output if it is not a USB-connected device.

I tried some old Sony cameras I had in my drawer and the HDMI output was distinctly 360p quality. Called the local Sony store and the sales rep literally said all their cameras have garbage grainy output over HDMI and don't do anything useful over USB. Not sure where to really go from there or what website to take seriously (many seem random affiliate link blogspam).

Not looking to spend for studio equipment but surely there must be something between studio quality and garbage webcam for all those streamers, right? What are some devices I should look at?

Go up to the $100+ range for webcams (I have a C920S and it’s great) or figure out how to turn your phone into an NDI camera. Those were the option when I investigated this summer.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Not sure if this is the right thread for this but it seems like the best one:

I've been looking over mobos for an AMD 7 5800X build for the last few days and have mostly settled on ASRock x570 Steel Legend. One thing that is making me rethink this combo is I don't have another CPU to do a BIOS upgrade. Are these boards (probably) shipping with updated BIOS yet or am I most likely SOL for this board? I like the feature set on the Steel Legend otherwise. It seems like you can't flashback the BIOS on these boards tho.

Build plan is Linux rig for some gaming, mostly coding and running VMs so if there are other motherboards that might be a better fit for that I'm open to alternatives too.

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 24, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ansible Adams posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread for this but it seems like the best one:

I've been looking over mobos for an AMD 7 5800X build for the last few days and have mostly settled on ASRock x570 Steel Legend. One thing that is making me rethink this combo is I don't have another CPU to do a BIOS upgrade. Are these boards (probably) shipping with updated BIOS yet or am I most likely SOL for this board? I like the feature set on the Steel Legend otherwise. It seems like you can't flashback the BIOS on these boards tho.

Build plan is Linux rig for some gaming, mostly coding and running VMs so if there are other motherboards that might be a better fit for that I'm open to alternatives too.

You'll find an easier time getting a good answer to that over here.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I have two questions:
I have a new system with a:
* 500 GB WD SN550 NVME
and three drives from an old system:
* Intel 545s series 256 GB SSD
* Kingston UV 240 GB SSD
* 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM HDD

With regards to saving space on the main SSD, I'm planning to reformat the old HDD and move documents/downloads to that drive. I used to do symlinking with appdata, but is it worth saving the space at all in 2021? My old PC's OS drive was 128 GB so it made sense with that but I'm not so sure if that's the case with 500 GB of space. I know it can lead to actual serious system issues. Some software also like to make their installation folder in there or store heaps of data in appdata. Possibly also moving appdata into a old style disk can actually slow some OS/software operations as well.

I guess I'm basically asking you to tell me symlinking appdata is dumb and not worth it in 2021.

Secondly, my mother has asked me to look at their Late 2013 model Mac Book Pro (128gb/4gb) which is their secondary laptop mostly used by my dad. They've got a more recent Swift 13 for primary use. I doubt there's anything actually wrong with it but are there any recommended guides/steps about performing basic maintenance or check they haven't done some dumb stuff with it as I'm not super familiar with MacOS? I know it's definitely hotter than when it was bought so I *might* want to look into opening it and blowing some canned air into it, maybe get an antistatic brush to clean it depending how difficult it is to open. Super not into unseating any of the internals or disconnecting any ribbon cables, though. Honestly it's a wonder they're still using the drat thing.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

So today at work I came across a CAD lab with workstations that had two Quadro cards, but only one monitor. The second card has no displays connected. It came from Dell this way. Can a computer utilize a graphics card's processing power or VRAM without being connected?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

CloFan posted:

So today at work I came across a CAD lab with workstations that had two Quadro cards, but only one monitor. The second card has no displays connected. It came from Dell this way. Can a computer utilize a graphics card's processing power or VRAM without being connected?

That's called multi-gpu, SLI for Nvidia and crossfire or something for amd. It's using both cards, just outputting on the one monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Hm. I guess I didn't realize you could SLI without a bridge like the olden days. Thanks!