Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

King of Bees posted:

Theres a fire road that runs through the national park along the Rapidan that you can literally park and fish a few miles of native brookie stream, pool after pool after pool. Over the years i fished it i would see more bear hunters than other fisherman. You can also camp and hunt there as it's a management area in the midst of a national park. I drug a popup camper up there and stayed a week once. You can find it on a topo, hopefully its still as untouched as it was 15 years ago and someone here can enjoy it.
It gets hammered when the weather is decent.

I like the Rose. Start fishing when the fire road leaves the stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Dik Hz posted:

It gets hammered when the weather is decent.

drat that sucks.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

King of Bees posted:

drat that sucks.
I went there on a nice weekend like 5-6 years ago and there was a group camped at every camp site along the road. I'm glad people are using it and grouping up on the famous spots. There's tons of water within a mile of there that nobody ever fishes that's just as good.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Has the surrounding area become more developed? I think i know the answer but indulge me

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

King of Bees posted:

Has the surrounding area become more developed? I think i know the answer but indulge me

Nope, but I haven't been up that way in a couple years.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Went shad fishing tonight and the water level has dropped about 4-5 feet and a ton of bank is exposed and I got to collect all these goodies. I love walking and cleaning up old, usable lures and sinkers.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Trying to find a cheap saltwater rod and spin caster is somehow as intimidating as trying to find a fly fishing combo.

Somehow, everyone uses cut bait out here. I guess I’ll have to see if crank baits also work.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

gamera009 posted:

Trying to find a cheap saltwater rod and spin caster is somehow as intimidating as trying to find a fly fishing combo.

Somehow, everyone uses cut bait out here. I guess I’ll have to see if crank baits also work.

Ugly stick plus a shimano IX reel. You didn’t really say what size fish you are going after though.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Posted in the discord initially but after I broke my last ugly stik elite I just went to walmart and bought a couple "shakespeare durango"s for $9.44 each, tossed my presidents on em, and have been bass/trout fishing with them for a couple weeks and they're casting surprisingly well. Keeping the receipts until they break but man I love cheap useable hobby poo poo.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
I looooove my St. Croix but it was more than I wanted to spend on a fishing rod I schlep into sketchy areas. I doubt anyone who would steal it would know what it's worth though. It's one of the best trout/small bass spinning rods I've cast in my admittedly small experience, so if you have money to burn I would definitely say try them out.

I have some other junk I bring around as well, mostly old poo poo I fished out of my dad's garage with "vintage" reels I did some maintenance on. All of them are perfectly serviceable, so if you want to buy some cheap-ish stuff or go to a yard sale to save some money, it's likely you will get perfectly fine stuff for your regular fishing experience.

Only rod I'm not totally comfortable with yet is the stiffer baitcast rod, but that might be because I am horrible at baitcasting and constantly have problems because I suck and the rod is my longest one.

If I do any striper fishing on the Hudson I'm just gonna grab one of those big-rear end long combos from Walmart and not risk anything expensive - I don't have a boat anyway so I doubt I'd hit anything big.

Don't feel like you need expensive stuff to get started fishing. Some of my bass lures probably are worth more than my entire junk rod rack, and they work fine.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

gamera009 posted:

Where are you fishing from and what are you fishing for? Tampa, right? I'm on the opposite end of the Gulf but I'm pretty sure we have more or less the same fish and same kinds of opportunities (piers, jetties, surf). Are you having trouble figuring out what you need, in general, or just finding it cheap?

I found this video very helpful when getting started: https://youtu.be/0VlYi1rXeR4

The pandemic appears to still be loving with prices. I got my first surf rod, a 9ft Okuma Longitude, last year for about $50. Apparently they used to be as cheap as $20. Now the going rate appears to be $60-$75 :shrug:

Grandito
Sep 6, 2008
I posted a couple months ago about my failures getting fish in the north texas ponds. I decided to try again now that the weather is nice and I've finally got the hang of it. The trick was realizing I've got a co-worker who's a competitive bass fisherman.

He suggested using some short chartreuse worms from Z-Man attached to one of their jigheads, and working it along the bottom. I think it's called a "Ned rig," and I was able to pull in a few medium size bass out of the park pond with it.

It was a lot more fun fishing with someone who knows what they're doing, and also actually catching things.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Grandito posted:

I posted a couple months ago about my failures getting fish in the north texas ponds. I decided to try again now that the weather is nice and I've finally got the hang of it. The trick was realizing I've got a co-worker who's a competitive bass fisherman.

He suggested using some short chartreuse worms from Z-Man attached to one of their jigheads, and working it along the bottom. I think it's called a "Ned rig," and I was able to pull in a few medium size bass out of the park pond with it.

It was a lot more fun fishing with someone who knows what they're doing, and also actually catching things.

Ned rig is easy to fish and because its very small, can get bit all year. Its basically the only soft plastics I throw for bass anymore.

Zman also makes a small soft plastic to put on it to cover basically anything you would want. Shad, crawdad, worm, and whatever else. Basically a one size fits all style of fishing I really like.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Grandito posted:

Ned rigs catch fish, and catching fish is fun.

Lately I've been catching a bunch out of bass and a few crappie out of small ponds and creeks by using a 3/16oz Booyah Pond Magic spinnerbait. They're $2.99 at Academy and fishing a spinnerbait is super fun. Give it a shot.

Grandito
Sep 6, 2008

Sickening posted:

Ned rig is easy to fish and because its very small, can get bit all year. Its basically the only soft plastics I throw for bass anymore.

Zman also makes a small soft plastic to put on it to cover basically anything you would want. Shad, crawdad, worm, and whatever else. Basically a one size fits all style of fishing I really like.

I also tried using one of the craws, and got a few bites. It really does look like a pissed off live crawdad with the claws trying to float up, it's pretty funny.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

If anybody starting out wants a couple of free Ned rigs to gently caress around with, PM me. I make the jigs and plastics.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Ned himself lives in my town. I can drive by and take pictures of his house under goon-law.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Discussion Quorum posted:

Where are you fishing from and what are you fishing for? Tampa, right? I'm on the opposite end of the Gulf but I'm pretty sure we have more or less the same fish and same kinds of opportunities (piers, jetties, surf). Are you having trouble figuring out what you need, in general, or just finding it cheap?

I found this video very helpful when getting started: https://youtu.be/0VlYi1rXeR4

The pandemic appears to still be loving with prices. I got my first surf rod, a 9ft Okuma Longitude, last year for about $50. Apparently they used to be as cheap as $20. Now the going rate appears to be $60-$75 :shrug:

Really just looking at shore fishing off the causeway, or dirty work off rocks around the bridges/pier.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

If anybody starting out wants a couple of free Ned rigs to gently caress around with, PM me. I make the jigs and plastics.

I have almost a half a tray of Kobold's ned rigs. I like to pair them with Zoom Ned Craws. I use Kobold's ned worms as well. The really dark ones are garlicky as hell and bass gobble them up.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

gamera009 posted:

Really just looking at shore fishing off the causeway, or dirty work off rocks around the bridges/pier.

I got my dad an 8ft Ugly Stik Bigwater and a Penn Battle 2 as a general do-anything saltwater shore setup so he could come fishing with me. You don't need to spend that much on the reel though, I only chose it because I found it on clearance at Bass Pro.

A lot of people around here seem to recommend 7-8ft catfish setups as a cheaper option. Main thing is that if you're fishing in any surf or heavy current, you may find yourself needing to throw 2-4oz pyramid or spider sinkers to keep your bait in place. A bass rod may not be the best choice for that.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Can anyone tell me why this sunfish has no color? Wife caught it in the pond on our property yesterday.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

It’s stressed out from a giant stab wound in its mouth. It will gain some color back when it settles down. I caught one roughly that size and tossed him in a tank and he did the same thing with his color at first but it came back.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

gamera009 posted:

You're probably better off finding a spinning setup for saltwater fishing in the tampa area. A medium heavy and a 3000 size reel will do everything except haul a big fish up to the bridge.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Yeah a pier net would be a good purchase too. Not just for hauling a big fish up, but also for releasing it.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Walleye fishing is open through bass spawning season here, but I have always just waited for bass season to open because I don't want to be an accidentally poacher.

I've never found a walleye hole where I didn't also catch bass.. is it some sort of seasonal thing where the bass stick to the shore line, or avoid deeper water?

If anyone has tips or some decent articles on the subject that would be greatly appreciated.. would be nice to fish earlier than the third week of June for once!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Discussion Quorum posted:

Yeah a pier net would be a good purchase too. Not just for hauling a big fish up, but also for releasing it.

for inshore stuff you can buy a crab ring for $2.50 or so. It ain't the best pier net substitute, but I've hauled 6 and 7 pound fish up in it no sweat

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Finally did a proper day of fishing in 2021.

Tried for kingfish (new to me) but only got a big Mack on the troll. Hit a marker for bait (blue runners) but the Spanish macks were sharknado’ing so I stopped and loaded up. Had a decent 5-6’ shark slash at a little fish and later a 6-7’ hammerhead circling the macks I was catching. Every bait down got nailed with other fish fighting over the baits.

Fish tacos for 3 days, fed our neighbor friends too.

Went solo so no action shots, was also too chicken to tussle with the sharks out there. 8 miles out on a small boat with wobbly legs since I hadn’t been out in a while. Fun and beautiful. Crystal clear water, could see kg baits 8’ down getting nailed. Loggerhead sea turtles everywhere, most I’ve seen on the gulf coast of FL.

drat, doesn’t look like pics are working through the awful app. What’s the current Imgur app?

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

My dad found the coolest book at Goodwill. He loaned it to me and I'm loving the hell out of it.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Gave the Ned rig my first honest try this week and managed to haul a half dozen small bass and one large one out of two heavily pressured ponds. I guess I'm sold. I am having a hard time feeling the strikes though. I'm using a light setup on 4lb line but more often then not I only realize there's a fish on when I go to retrieve.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ihop posted:

Gave the Ned rig my first honest try this week and managed to haul a half dozen small bass and one large one out of two heavily pressured ponds. I guess I'm sold. I am having a hard time feeling the strikes though. I'm using a light setup on 4lb line but more often then not I only realize there's a fish on when I go to retrieve.

Well, that is more of the product of the fish giving you a light bite than the bait and/or the technique being the issue. Its also more likely your smaller profile ned rig is what triggered bites in fish that wouldn't hit your normal sized previous baits. Its basically the reason I like the ned rig.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Sickening posted:

Its also more likely your smaller profile ned rig is what triggered bites in fish...Its basically the reason I like the ned rig.

Can you say more about this? I'm awful at bass fishing.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Can you say more about this? I'm awful at bass fishing.

When the water is cold or when bass aren't actively feeding, they get loving lazy. A bass that isn't hungry or is trying to conserve energy, is mostly likely going to eat a small meal then attempt something large. A smaller meal is often less effort for the fish. A finesse bait (like a ned rig) is trying to mimic that smaller profile forage. Its trying to draw out strikes that a normal sized bait would not.

The upside is , that even when a bass IS actively feeding and/or isn't trying to conserve energy, it will also eat a ned rig. The drawback is the the profile of the bait being smaller means that its more of an opportunity for smaller fish to bite it, which means that you aren't excluding the smaller fish you normally would.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
First day of trout season up here and it's fantastically lovely weather! I joined a private club this year because I'm a bougie rear end in a top hat so at least I wont' have to worry about too much pressure for trout but I am not standing in freezing rain/horribly cold water today. I'm a bad fisherperson for that, but I'm at least off from work tomorrow and it's not going to be as cold.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

ihop posted:

You want to remain "in contact" with your lure as much as possible by keeping the line from going completely slack. You'll often hear this referred to as a semi-slack line. It takes a little practice to get the feel of it. And while there's absolutely nothing wrong with using monofilament, I like using high-vis braid (12-15#) to a fluorocarbon leader (6-8#) to make it easier to see the line and to feel bites. The braid lasts basically forever, and has a lot of advantages on a spinning reel (sensitivity, lack of memory, easier casting). I replace the leader when it gets down to a foot or two from retying lures.

e: you can absolutely use mono as your leader if you don't want to mess with fluoro but still want the benefits of braid

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Yeah the clear 4# mono I put on the reel was a mistake. drat near impossible to see, and if there's any wind or surface disturbance forget about it. That, a cheapish, shortish rod, and the 1/15 oz jighead make a pretty small window between slack line and actively dragging it.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

ihop posted:

Yeah the clear 4# mono I put on the reel was a mistake. drat near impossible to see, and if there's any wind or surface disturbance forget about it. That, a cheapish, shortish rod, and the 1/15 oz jighead make a pretty small window between slack line and actively dragging it.

This is a good trout setup fwiw

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

A rare corporate April's Fools joke that isn't horrible

https://news.orvis.com/fly-fishing/introducing-the-new-orvis-pro-dog-waders

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I got a hearty chuckle out of that, thank you!

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Waiting on my Penn Battle II (4000) combo. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Safety Dance posted:

I got a hearty chuckle out of that, thank you!

I appreciate the commitment to the bit, it's a fully fleshed piece of corporate comms.