Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/ithayla/status/1371541610983399424

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

sounds great, thanks

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Sagebrush posted:

it's so loving stupid that this is a thing. the plural of something ending in -oss is -osses.

:wrong:

the plural of winklevoss is winklevodes, or even winklevoxen

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
look you have the singular winkelvii, but in this dimensional plane it appears as the dual entity winkelvos

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

that's what free ross tried and welp

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
boxturrii

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

:ssh:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Boxturret posted:

look you have the singular winkelvii, but in this dimensional plane it appears as the dual entity winkelvos

one winkelvo
two winkelvos
three winkelvose
four winkelvoses
but two is already too much

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
https://twitter.com/TuxedoPlasmosis/status/1370151889510141952?s=19
https://twitter.com/TuxedoPlasmosis/status/1370204432508416007?s=19

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Weatherman posted:

:wrong:

the plural of winklevoss is winklevodes, or even winklevoxen

winklechodes

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/smdiehl/status/1371808680778285061

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

I've never hosed bitcoin, but if I did, I definitely wouldn't talk to anyone about it

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

As a computer scientist in his field, he's not good at that other stuff either

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

xtal posted:

As a computer scientist in his field, he's not good at that other stuff either

Oh, so you're into maths? Name every number.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
xlol can't even do computer science because so much of computability theory is hierarchical

javascript is ok though

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

had npr on in the car on the way home from the doctor just now and apparently tonight on point is gonna do a show about NFT's: THE HOTTEST THING YOU'VE NEVER HEARD OF featuring ARTIST BEEPLE SOLD AN ART FOR $69 MILLION WOW!! :sigh:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
If they're good enough for Chomsky they're good enough for me

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Paladinus posted:

Oh, so you're into maths? Name every number.

they’re all called Bill. every single one.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56402378

quote:

Sebastian told the BBC: "Musk tweeted, 'Dojo 4 Doge?' and I wondered what it meant.

"There was a link to a new event below, so I clicked on it and saw that he was giving away Bitcoin!"

:shepspends:

quote:

Three weeks on and Sebastian is clearly still extremely embarrassed. He starts our email conversation by insisting that he is "normally not the biggest idiot in the whole world".

"I have studied and have a good marketing job in the IT Industry. I live together with my wife and two children and we have a nice house with a garden. I was greedy that night and it made me blind."

The 42-year-old says he first invested $40,000 in Bitcoin in 2017, and quickly made his money back as the value of the coins rose on the open market. He cashed out and got his initial money back, but then watched excitedly over the years as the 10 coins grew to be worth nearly 500,000 euros.

oh so he didn't really lose any actualmoney. he is back to where he would have been if he never bought any bitscoin. and im pretty sure he actually is a fairly big idiot.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The "can you spot the difference" caption on the obvious phishing tweet is great

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh well if he checked the verification checkmark i can't possibly imagine how he could have been more diligent!

christ these people are just the dumbest fuckers on the entire planet

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hammerite posted:

He starts our email conversation by insisting that he is "normally not the biggest idiot in the whole world".

ehhhhh

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

xtal posted:

The "can you spot the difference" caption on the obvious phishing tweet is great

whoever put that picture with that caption was absolutely just making fun of this fuckin' dude right

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

i guess he was checking the verification logo so hard he didn't have a chance to look at any other part of the message

does twitter shadow ban people with the username "elon musk"? or auto ban accounts when they change their name to that?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

dude is a marketer though so it kinda makes sense. i mean someone like him earnestly made that insane comic where someone uses adblock and then complains that "these advertised sales opportunities aren't personalized to my needs!!" or whatever, marketers are already living in a bizarre mushy-brain fantasy world

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

elon musck is short for Joshy McB, all true musk fans(or "muskrats" as they like to be called) know this

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Chalks posted:

i guess he was checking the verification logo so hard he didn't have a chance to look at any other part of the message

does twitter shadow ban people with the username "elon musk"? or auto ban accounts when they change their name to that?

the username is different though, it's just the display name that looks like elon

also twitter should have an alternative to the blue checkmark, like a red warning sign next to it, if the user has changed their display name in the past X days

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Chalks posted:

i seem to remember they did that for like a day when bots got particularly bad, and then presumably stopped for some reason. but if you look closely you can see the name isn't elon musk it's "E l o ṉ M u s 𝝹" which is literally impossible for twitter's advanced anti-scam AI to read

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
"number go up" has been poison for social media longer than any speculative asset bubble

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

i seem to remember they did that for like a day when bots got particularly bad, and then presumably stopped for some reason. but if you look closely you can see the name isn't elon musk it's "E l o ṉ M u s ḵ" which is literally impossible for twitter's advanced anti-scam AI to read

yeah, i noticed that (pretty hard to see how someone could "study the check mark" and not notice it) - i was just wondering why they had to do that. if i changed my twitter name to an "elon musk" pun will i just instantly eat a ban? it's the sort of thing you'd see trying to bypass email spam filters but i wonder how they're policing people's usernames like that. i thought maybe they'd have swapped the "L" for a capital "I" but it looks like they had to go to a lot of trouble to bypass whatever filter twitter presumably has.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 16, 2021

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

How many doge is a pleasured kevin worth on the exchanges?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Zopotantor posted:

they’re all called Bill. every single one.

At least eight of them are Henery.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

when you were partying
i studied the checkmark

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Grace Baiting posted:

when you were partying
i studied the checkmark

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Shame Boy posted:

i seem to remember they did that for like a day when bots got particularly bad, and then presumably stopped for some reason. but if you look closely you can see the name isn't elon musk it's "E l o ṉ M u s 𝝹" which is literally impossible for twitter's advanced anti-scam AI to read

seriously I could code something that picks up most of these "kind-of sort-of looks like 'Elon Musk'" usernames in a day. how can it be difficult for a world-famous tech company with presumably dozens of on-staff programmers to figure this out

i suppose the answer is that they don't give a poo poo. otherwise they would display the warnings when a name has changed.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
is there a list of fake twitter names that look like "elon musk" anywhere

pondering a project

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Hammerite posted:

seriously I could code something that picks up most of these "kind-of sort-of looks like 'Elon Musk'" usernames in a day. how can it be difficult for a world-famous tech company with presumably dozens of on-staff programmers to figure this out

i suppose the answer is that they don't give a poo poo. otherwise they would display the warnings when a name has changed.

personally i think this is a plague that can only be stopped by killing the original elon musk

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Idiot hell fuckers gonna idiot hell gently caress

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/03/nvidia-accidentally-releases-driver-to-un-nerf-cryptocurrency-mining/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Boxturret posted:

personally i think this is a plague that can only be stopped by killing the original elon musk

Greetings twitter ! this is Elon Musks widow Grime./ In mourning for my wonderful husband Elon + celebrating his life and Generousity I am giving away 10,00 BitCoin. It's our 😭farewell ELON😭 event!! Please send from 1 to 10 bitcoin to this address to get twice the Bitscoin back! 1BitcoinEaterAddressDontSendf59kuE