Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, from all reports, this is the cut that he had been working on before he got removed. There was a bunch of misinformation that he did extensive reshoots, but those were apparently much, much less than people were implying.

While the studio was asking for a 2 hour cut, he was hoping he could convince them otherwise. And then everything that happened happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
There's almost no chance that a JL Steppenwolf will have lines in ZSJL because his character was almost completely rebuilt by JW and even existing dialogue from ZS's cut will have been ADR'd over.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I know it streams on Thursday, but I assume it’s one time worldwide, right?

No ability to do VPN like shenanigans I assume?

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Pirate Jet posted:

According to Robot Style, who has posted info that has proven true before, he followed that up with a line about his axe “suckling” WW. So no, you’re right on the money that it’s mega creepy.

There's also the part where he tells the Amazons, "You will love me!" and that's weird too.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Burkion posted:

Yeah, from all reports, this is the cut that he had been working on before he got removed. There was a bunch of misinformation that he did extensive reshoots, but those were apparently much, much less than people were implying.

While the studio was asking for a 2 hour cut, he was hoping he could convince them otherwise. And then everything that happened happened.

Snyder said before he left he showed WB 3 cuts; a 3 hour cut, a 2hr 40 minute cut, and a 2hr 20 minute cut. They told him to go back and make it 2 hours and that's when he decided to leave.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Apollo posted:

Snyder said before he left he showed WB 3 cuts; a 3 hour cut, a 2hr 40 minute cut, and a 2hr 20 minute cut. They told him to go back and make it 2 hours and that's when he decided to leave.

And then WB first let Autumn be the reason (which honestly it was, the Zack and Deborah were trying to do it, but (quite understandably couldn’t), and then WB leaked out oh it’s because he hosed up, the daughter reason was us just being nice.

It’s amazing just how much WB were dicks, I know people who really don’t like Zack’s vision and even they agree WB were monumental scum and they’re happy Zack can put out his version, even if they doubt they’ll like it.

The funny thing is the whole Zack controversy in general is kind of weird, because unlike Joss, I’ve never heard anyone, industry or otherwise, have a bad thing to say about him or his wife. The cast and crew’s on his films all love him, his sets seem to be like a family working together, you never hear horror stories. Like it’s almost kind of perversely humorous in a way.

Also when Deborah heard about stuff, she actually reported it to WB, which is something I respect.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/1371919298780831745

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

*Attendees must have an HBO Max account

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Apollo posted:

*Attendees must have an HBO Max account

Well that link answers my question about when it’s available....well unless it’s just for that event.

Does anyone know for sure when it will be on HBOMax and if the time is a global release?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Zack Snyder has never seen the Whedon cut. Christopher Nolan went to the premier and as soon as it was over called Zack and told him he must never watch the film because it would be too heartbreaking.

It's actually pretty amusing to see on Vero sometimes people ask him questions like "Was the Russian family in your version?" and he's like "The what!?"
The best question will always be the one about the anal probing aliens and Snyder acting like it must be a joke, right?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Well that link answers my question about when it’s available....well unless it’s just for that event.

Does anyone know for sure when it will be on HBOMax and if the time is a global release?

I think it's going up at like midnight PST, there's a goonstream at 3AM but I've totally forgotten what timezone

E: central!

teagone posted:

For the brave few:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

My official pre-Zack Snyder's Justice League DCEU rankings:

1) Man of Steel
2) Batman V Superman Ultimate
3) Aquaman
4) Birds of Prey
5) Wonder Woman
6) Suicide Squad
7) Wonder Woman 1984
8) Shazam!
9) Justice League

I don't actually dislike any of these except 9. I really hope Suicide Squad gets an Ayer cut. It's a mess but I really love individual scenes and beats and the production design.

Oh fun! Mine atm goes

Top tier:
Swamp thing
Constantine
History of violence
Moss
Beavis
S-Skwad
Watchmen
Adam West and Burton batmen

Mid tier:
WW
Supes Returns
Donner Supes
BoP
Nolan trilogy
Schumacher batmen

Bottom tier:
V for vendetta
Shazam!
Red

Unknowns:
The losers
Green lantern
Aquaman
Jonah hex
Ww84
Cartoon stuff that generally looks bad

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Most of those are not DCEU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

MazelTovCocktail posted:

The funny thing is the whole Zack controversy in general is kind of weird, because unlike Joss, I’ve never heard anyone, industry or otherwise, have a bad thing to say about him or his wife. The cast and crew’s on his films all love him, his sets seem to be like a family working together, you never hear horror stories. Like it’s almost kind of perversely humorous in a way.

He's very nice and always supported the department I was in at the studio when most of the productions found us super annoying.

I'm excited to finally watch this. Everything that went down with the original was super depressing to hear about, and it'll be nice to see him get some vindication. I just hope it actually pulls in more than just the extremely online crowd who have been keeping tabs on it. Who knows if enough of the average watcher will look at HBO Max for it.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Snyder is on his 3rd marriage I think? He's probably an American centrist politically? He's a Christian Scientist?

These are the "worst" things that we know about, and they're not even necessarily problematic nor do they have any bearing on his filmography!

Most of those are not DCEU

:wrong:

Warner Bros can't tell me what to do, those guys are bullshit!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blood Boils posted:

Snyder is on his 3rd marriage I think? He's probably an American centrist politically? He's a Christian Scientist?

These are the "worst" things that we know about, and they're not even necessarily problematic nor do they have any bearing on his filmography!

Compare that to Superman Returns...the most cursed Superman of all time (nothing against Routh)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Second marriage I think. Been with her since the early 2000s though

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I changed my mind, movie is a 0/10
https://twitter.com/GameSpot/status/1371890133612498944

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Heresy!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Axel Serenity posted:

He's very nice and always supported the department I was in at the studio when most of the productions found us super annoying.

I'm excited to finally watch this. Everything that went down with the original was super depressing to hear about, and it'll be nice to see him get some vindication. I just hope it actually pulls in more than just the extremely online crowd who have been keeping tabs on it. Who knows if enough of the average watcher will look at HBO Max for it.

That’s cool to read. Like I said, it’s so weird he is so insanely divisive to people...when honestly he seems like a good human being, runs a professional set, treats people with respect...I mean he wasn’t even a dick to his minders on the set (granted at least one of them wasn’t happy about being a minder). That’s even ignoring the list of basic things you shouldn’t do, by virtue of having a basic sense of morality and don’t really deserve a pat on the back for...granted that is a bit of a challenge for Bryan Singer of Joss.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's all because he did something different.

That's it.

He didn't adhere to the way it was done before.

He didn't suck Donner's dick.

He did his own thing for the most part. And people decided it was a bridge too far. That nothing made sense. That it was wrong.

When REALLY it all works and people are just being whiny loving babies.

E: This is what you get when you adhere to the comics (excl Hawkeye - they didnt have the guts to make that costume)

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 16, 2021

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Second marriage I think. Been with her since the early 2000s though

Ah, I didn't check, just went off old memory of movie nerd hearsay

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

Look I think you guys are being way too literal with that scene, so let's not focus on it. Why are people okay with Dan being murdered while Superman can just helplessly watch and punch a city? Why are people okay with Superman being turned into a mind controlled soldier where it is absolutely implied that he kills people, becomes a pariah, goes on a revenge mission in which he is incinerating hordes of Parademons, fighting Darkseid, absolutely being framed in a scary light when he is throwing Darkseid off of a tower, only to find that Darkseid is too good a dictator for Superman to punch his people's free?

Well, I don't think that's how it came off in the OP, but fair enough. Regardless, I think what I'm getting to is that you absolutely can tell violent stories or stories where people die or even stories where the bad guys win with Superman. Kingdom Come used to be a fan favorite about Superman nearly going crazy and killing a bunch of people. All-Star Superman is literally about Superman dying and one of its most iconic moments is Superman making a mistake that stops him from saving his father. An old gem of 90s comics is the Superman Hitman issue where Superman talks about what it's like to not save a dying astronaut. The first Superman movie has Lois Lane horrifically die.

I think that when Superman came out there were a lot of very online people who tried to prove how Man of Steel is scientifically bad and that's wrong because Superman's a fictional character, but you can do whatever you want with it. As someone who doesn't love MoS, I think there are other reasons that I don't really care for the movie.

Like the answer to my question about the S:TAS stuff is that people just liked those stories.

Your examples are all wildly different and contextually different. Lois lane dies in the first superman movie? Sure, and then she gets brought back. Superman dying? Yeah except it's an elseworlds with its own rules. Dan turpin dying? Yeah, to a darkseid drive by. It's insistently comparing apples to oranges If you want to make a salient comparison, Compare it to the invasion of NYC in Avengers, where similar widespread destruction is caused (well, sorta) and how much more sanitized and in line with the DCAU it is. That's what the expectation of a superhero blockbuster was. Cars being destroyed, buildings collapse, but you don't see anyone crushed by the rubble, it's all harmless fun! No one complained about all the Audis being crushed in that film.

The point of the original comparison was that despite featuring pretty similar circumstances, one was considered unpalatable and jarring, while the other was standard fare genre action. The reason why the MoS scenes were considered jarring is because it shows the brutal consequences of two gods having a street brawl in a densely populated urban area, even going so far as to evoke 9/11. It divorces the coolness from the genre fantasy of knocking a dude through a building because it shows people die when you do that. It doesn't sanitize or normalize the violence, instead it's portrayed as shocking and devastating. No one thought that Superman got anyone killed when he yeeted Darkseid through 6 highrises in that DCAU show, and that wasn't the intent of that scene either. But that's the inescapable conclusion one draws in MoS because how the action is framed. And that got people pretty upset. Which was the original point

Vintersorg posted:

It's all because he did something different.

That's it.

He didn't adhere to the way it was done before.

He didn't suck Donner's dick.

He did his own thing for the most part. And people decided it was a bridge too far. That nothing made sense. That it was wrong.

When REALLY it all works and people are just being whiny loving babies.

E: This is what you get when you adhere to the comics (excl Hawkeye - they didnt have the guts to make that costume)

God that cap outfit is hideous. And what's worse is that they had an amazing Cap outfit from The first avenger, and still chose to go with that abomination

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

McCloud posted:

God that cap outfit is hideous. And what's worse is that they had an amazing Cap outfit from The first avenger, and still chose to go with that abomination

Johansson there has a very "what the hell am I doing" stare.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think a lot of criticism about Snyder is reverse engineered from 300 which I think rightfully deserves a lot of criticism.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Good movie, terrible costume lol

Trash movie, failures in all regards

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think a lot of criticism about Snyder is reverse engineered from 300 which I think rightfully deserves a lot of criticism.
and yet I've seen two people in just the last day or so say it's his only good film!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

There’s a ton of intersexuality with Man Of Steel

Lmao I suppose this would likely also be a popular if controversial film but

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

RBA Starblade posted:

Trash movie, failures in all regards

the worst spoiler

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I watched a bit of BvS Ultimate Cut today while doing various things, and noticed two things I hadn't noticed before:

In the Day of the Dead sequence, Superman actually is smiling as he saves the girl, and then stops when the crowd all start worshiping him.

In the extended Knightmare sequence, they briefly show a post-apocalyptic bus - it's been a long time since I've seen Dawn of the Dead, but is this the same bus that they modify and drive out of the mall at the end? I noticed the BvS bus had the slit cut down the side and I remember the DotD bus having that for chainsaw access.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

MoS
BvSU
Suicide Squad
Aquaman
WW
Birds of Prey
Shazam
WW84

There hasn't been a Justice League movie released, in any year, and I will watch the first Justice League ever made on Thursday.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
More like

hiddenriverninja posted:

the worst poster

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

This is way late and I'm surprised if it never got made in the first place, but I got a weird urge to make a meme of Joss Whedon as Mr. Burns at the Springfield film festival saying "Are you saying saying 'boo,' or 'booyah?'"

I'm lazy though, someone help me

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Chairman Capone posted:

I watched a bit of BvS Ultimate Cut today while doing various things, and noticed two things I hadn't noticed before:

In the Day of the Dead sequence, Superman actually is smiling as he saves the girl, and then stops when the crowd all start worshiping him.

That scene is also a callback to his scene in MoS with him drowning in skulls

https://screenrant.com/batman-v-superman-skulls-meaning-zack-snyder/

"Specifically, that Zod showed Clark a dream in which he was swallowed up by the skulls of the dead he would never save if Zod's plan to take over Earth became real. Soon after, the devastation of their battle cost thousands of lives. And finally, he finds himself surrounded by skulls and skeletons in the next film, unable to let go of the dead or be the 'savior' they want him to be. Check out the full analysis below, and who shows up to confirm that it's right on the money:"

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Compare that to Superman Returns...the most cursed Superman of all time (nothing against Routh)

Are you just saying that because of Bryan Singer and Kevin Spacey, or are there stories to go with that?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

roffels posted:

Are you just saying that because of Bryan Singer and Kevin Spacey, or are there stories to go with that?

Singer and Spacey. I don’t know of any stories offhand, I haven’t looked into it, but I have no trouble in believing that bad things by those two probably happened during filming. Not I’m concert, just their normal awful behavior.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Reading the Snydercut book and its actually pretty fascinating

"Release the Snyder Cut" posted:

"It was during, I think, [2019's] Comic-Con where there was an article written that said, 'The biggest Warner Bros. and DC presence at Comic-Con this year is for a movie they'd never released.' Which I was like, 'Holy poo poo, that's amazing," Snyder said. "We did all these analytics. And when we went in to talk to Warner Bros. about possibly releasing the movie, I said to them in the boardroom, 'You realize, I don't know if you're aware of it, but the biggest, the most volume for any social media campaign for movie Warner Bros has ever done is for a movie that you guys never
any released. The most tweets, the most social media noise in the history of War-
ner Bros. is for a film that you guys don't have out.' And at that stage in time, had no intention of releasing. In what world is that okay? In what world does the business model support this point of view? It just seems insane.

But it's just a hard thing to argue with," Snyder continued. "They would say things like, Well, it's just a vocal minority. It's just a small amount of people.' I'm like, Okay, fair enough. If that's what that's true, and it's not that big of a deal, how come you guys, a giant media
corporation, cannot generate the same number of social media impressions
as this vocal, grassroots minority that aren't that big of a deal? How come
you wish, in your best-case scenario, you could volumize one of your prod-
ucts in the same way that this handful of people, so you say, can do it? And
if it is [just] a handful of people, you should have them working for because they are unbelievable at their jobs. At their hobby, actually! Because none of them are getting paid for it."

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Martman posted:

This is way late and I'm surprised if it never got made in the first place, but I got a weird urge to make a meme of Joss Whedon as Mr. Burns at the Springfield film festival saying "Are you saying saying 'boo,' or 'booyah?'"

I'm lazy though, someone help me

we got you

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

roffels posted:

If I had to take a guess it was probably because it was a terrible idea from the get-go. It blended goofy camp with some seriously dark and creepy stuff, adding a strange tonal shift. You have Superman leaving Earth to see Krypton and then coming back, ditching pregnant Lois to raise a half-Kryptonian kid on her own. He comes back, saves a plane, and Lex gets his money back by being a gigolo. Then you've got Lex stealing Kryptonian tech, making a kryptonite blade, and beating the poo poo out of Superman while stabbing him.

Lex's thug menacingly playing the piano and revealing that weird tattoo on top of his head is probably a nice analogy for the entire film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzprFJHy9X4

It's super uncomfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

AccountSupervisor posted:

Reading the Snydercut book and its actually pretty fascinating

That quote reminds me of game modders compared to professionals