Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

axeil posted:

What's a "sag bracket" and do you actually need to use one?

According to the EVGA forum the north america step-up list has finally moved past the first day. I signed up on the third day it was open so maybe I'll have a card by Labor Day.

Yeah I recently mailed in my “old” card to be swapped out. Signed up on the night of Sept 17th; so long as the UPS store guy didn’t swap it out with a brick after I left (since he recognized the recipient address and figured out what was in the box almost immediately!) I think I’ll have my replacement card at the end of the week/early next week.

Sucks that, based on the pace of the queue, you’ll probably miss the April cutoff for pre-tariff rates. But hopefully you’re not too far from your own step up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I just updated to the newest NVidia drivers and now my 1080p monitor is only displaying as 1080p. There previously was an option to display on the 1080p monitor but to render at 4K (it had the 4K in parenthesis or something). How do I get that back? I stream to a 4K laptop is why I need it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Zero VGS posted:

I just updated to the newest NVidia drivers and now my 1080p monitor is only displaying as 1080p. There previously was an option to display on the 1080p monitor but to render at 4K (it had the 4K in parenthesis or something). How do I get that back? I stream to a 4K laptop is why I need it.

NVIDIA control panel > 3D settings > global > DSR enable option and select DSR ratio

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

NVIDIA control panel > 3D settings > global > DSR enable option and select DSR ratio

Ah yeah, that worked, but I don't remember ever having to do that before, the 4K was just an option in Windows. Anyhoo it's working but it seems a bit fuzzier n the 1080p than whatever was going on previously.

Well thanks, it still looks as good on the 4K laptop I'm streaming to and that was the important part.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Zero VGS posted:

Ah yeah, that worked, but I don't remember ever having to do that before, the 4K was just an option in Windows. Anyhoo it's working but it seems a bit fuzzier n the 1080p than whatever was going on previously.

Well thanks, it still looks as good on the 4K laptop I'm streaming to and that was the important part.

Play around with the DSR Smoothing factor I think it's called.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

AFAIK it's best to just turn DSR smoothing off if you're doing an integer scale like 4k to 1080p, the option is there to clean up awkward non-integer scales

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Back when I was 1080p I played ffxiv at 4x with no smoothing. Looked really good. Now that I am on 1440p 4x gets a lot heavier to use

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Twibbit posted:

Back when I was 1080p I played ffxiv at 4x with no smoothing. Looked really good. Now that I am on 1440p 4x gets a lot heavier to use

Well yeah, thats twice as many pixels as 4k. Only half as many as 8k resolution though!

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
With the 3080 seeming to work well, I'm starting to wonder if my CPU is holding me back now. I've got a Zen+ 2700X. I was planning to hold off for Zen 4 and DDR5 but it's looking like that's not going to happen this year. Is it worth jumping up to a 5800X? I'm assuming I can re-use my asus prime x470 board.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

short answer: probably, and worth it.

long answer: depends on what resolution you're at & what games etc. at 4k absolutely not. at QHD yeah a bit. at 1080p you are CPU bound.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

With the 3080 seeming to work well, I'm starting to wonder if my CPU is holding me back now. I've got a Zen+ 2700X. I was planning to hold off for Zen 4 and DDR5 but it's looking like that's not going to happen this year. Is it worth jumping up to a 5800X? I'm assuming I can re-use my asus prime x470 board.

as someone who made a jump from Zen 1 (2400G) to Zen 2 (3100) this week, what I will say is that the performance improvement is dramatic, and going from Zen+ to Zen 3 is probably going to be even moreso

but... it's pricey

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

You’ll want to check if your motherboard has a bios update available to support Zen3 CPUs.

I just ordered a 5800x to replace my 8600k because it was definitely holding the 3080 back in a few games.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
I did check, and my board does support Zen3 with a bios update. So no problems there. I do play at 4K res, tho. But if it's not holding me back really then maybe I can limp along until 2022 and Zen4.

$299 for the 5600X doesn't seem like a bad deal though?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

Well yeah, thats twice as many pixels as 4k. Only half as many as 8k resolution though!

One of the reasons I want a 3080 is to see if I can go back to that level of clean. FFXIV's fxaa method is not that great.

Just reran the benchmark program to see just how rough it is again on my 2080s.

Score: 5563
Average Frame Rate: 37.35714
Minimum Frame Rate: 11

Just under my Gsync range. Maybe if I capped it at 30... I mean the 120+fps I get at native resolution isn't really needed in a game like this.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I did check, and my board does support Zen3 with a bios update. So no problems there. I do play at 4K res, tho. But if it's not holding me back really then maybe I can limp along until 2022 and Zen4.

$299 for the 5600X doesn't seem like a bad deal though?

I'd go for it, you can sell the space heater 2700x and get a decent amount for it too.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Twibbit posted:

One of the reasons I want a 3080 is to see if I can go back to that level of clean. FFXIV's fxaa method is not that great.

Just reran the benchmark program to see just how rough it is again on my 2080s.

Score: 5563
Average Frame Rate: 37.35714
Minimum Frame Rate: 11

Just under my Gsync range. Maybe if I capped it at 30... I mean the 120+fps I get at native resolution isn't really needed in a game like this.

There is a benchmark program for FFXIV? I need to run it on my GPD Win Max lol . I've got it so I can get 60fps everywhere and it still looks pretty good!

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

There is a benchmark program for FFXIV? I need to run it on my GPD Win Max lol . I've got it so I can get 60fps everywhere and it still looks pretty good!

one for each of the expansions https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/benchmark/download/
They are also mini trailers for the expansion that you can make star your OC by using the character creator included. Or you can use the default.

Edit: It is also missing some features in the settings menu. No refresh rate, frame rate cap, nor Vertical Sync options for example.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Twibbit posted:

one for each of the expansions https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/benchmark/download/
They are also mini trailers for the expansion that you can make star your OC by using the character creator included. Or you can use the default.

Edit: It is also missing some features in the settings menu. No refresh rate, frame rate cap, nor Vertical Sync options for example.

Thanks I’m gonna try that in a few!

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
There's another new egg shuffle coming up. Good luck goons

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I just got an eVGA auto notify queue email for the 3080 FTW Ultra that I signed up for on 9/20 at 3:30pm. They must be moving through the queue faster now.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Lian Li makes one of the better anti-sag brackets I've seen, plus it's functionally "invisible."

https://www.microcenter.com/product/605934/lian-li-graphic-card-anti-sag-bracket

The little "shelves" can occasionally require modification/shortening if they might contact a fan blade, though.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Aren't there cases where they don't work with motherboard heatsinks or something?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Do any retail case manufacturers support these bracket mounting holes yet, or is it still purely an OEM thing?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

repiv posted:

Do any retail case manufacturers support these bracket mounting holes yet, or is it still purely an OEM thing?

Those are speed holes.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

repiv posted:

The card support bracket for full-length cards is part of the original AT spec but pretty much only workstation and server cases still have it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

seems like a good time to bring it back to consumer cases with cards getting so absurdly thicc

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Convince case manufacturers it's a good place for RGB and they'll be all over it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

repiv posted:

seems like a good time to bring it back to consumer cases with cards getting so absurdly thicc

absolutely

It's hard to find a clear photo of the card support but it's the seven evenly-spaced grooves to the right of the cards in this case:

A metal finger screws onto the end of the card and slots into one of those grooves, and that card is going nowhere.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Don’t want no saggy GPUs

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I am definitely seeing more black flashing behavior in Chrome with the newest Nvidia drivers, that doesnt seem to be related to the Gsync flashing issue. Hm. Some other folks here reported the same thing earlier i think.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

mA posted:

It depends.
    Which card are you shooting for? (3080 is basically impossible to score, while the 3070 and 3090 are slightly easier to get.)
    How much effort are you willing to put into it ?(Monitoring Discord notifications, using bots, etc.)
    How bad do you need it? (Can you tolerate your current GPU for at least another 6-12 months?)

Outside of ebay, the best way to get a 30 series card is through buying a prebuilt (ibuypower, cyberpowerpc). You'll be paying a $100-$200 premium, but it still beats paying 2x-2.5x MSRP on ebay. Downside is that if you only want the card, you'll need to resell the rest of the rig.

Or you could jump in the EVGA queue, but at this point expect for at least a 6 month minimum wait time for your number to be called.

Ideally, I'd pick up a 3080 and I've been in the Evga Que since October.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Cygni posted:

I am definitely seeing more black flashing behavior in Chrome with the newest Nvidia drivers, that doesnt seem to be related to the Gsync flashing issue. Hm. Some other folks here reported the same thing earlier i think.
Does the flashing happen during video playback? If so, try this magic command line parameter that fixes everything (for me anyway): --disable-direct-composition-video-overlays

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

This GPU shortage is nuts, treasuring my RTX2060 right about now. Just how awful is the integrated graphics on Ryzen CPUs? I'd imagine some desperate gamers trying to game on those since all the good gpus are out of stock or way overpriced.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
still an igpu, but the best of that set iirc. in an otherwise properly configured machine you're looking at like 30ish FPS in RDR2 720p low, playable frame rates in tons of older or eSports titles. I've recommended it to quite a few people as a stopgap in these trying times.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

wafflemoose posted:

This GPU shortage is nuts, treasuring my RTX2060 right about now. Just how awful is the integrated graphics on Ryzen CPUs? I'd imagine some desperate gamers trying to game on those since all the good gpus are out of stock or way overpriced.

The new Rocket Lake UHD 750 is dropping soon and supposed to be okay for esports and older games too: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-xe-uhd750-graphics

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

wafflemoose posted:

I was seriously surfing 2060 ebay auctions for an upgrade before the prices got absurd.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

ufarn posted:

Aren't there cases where they don't work with motherboard heatsinks or something?

One of these brackets came with my O11-Razer this week. You know the spacers that allow a motherboard to “float” above the case’s mounting plate? You get two taller spacers like those, that go in the center and lower-middle screw points, and then you put the bracket on that and screw it in.

I had no problem with the motherboard heat sink. I did have a problem getting my GPU to go in far enough to be locked in and was shocked after a night of gaming to just reach in and casually yank out my video card from the slot.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Was looking for a sub $500 2080ti when the 3080 was released, saw several listed at $550-750 here in NYC. That was a small window, before the true picture of the shortagedemand was clear.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

wafflemoose posted:

FWIW here are some games on the iGPU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GfP8aaQPAg

It doesn't do too bad TBH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I have a GPU laptop power question, please be gentle.

Clevo p65, 980m.

I've never had any luck with overclocking. Even with a Prema modded BIOS, following the guides etc. I just never get any improvements. Same with Intel Extreme but that's a whole other story. This is freshly repasted, cleaned, temps under 90c.

Anyway I just thought, maybe my laptop needs more power? Maybe the GPU is hungry and that's why? My power supply right now is 180w. Can I get a more powerful one to try or is it pointless?

For fun here are my RDR2 scores when I tried to overclock with Nvidia Inspector, zero improvement, it actually gets worse with overclocking haha:

no OC
lowest FPS 19
highest FPS 51
average FPS 35

Base clock +100

Base clock +160

Base clock +180

Base clock +200

Base clock +240

Base clock +200/12.5v

Base clock +200/25v

Base clock +200/memory 140