Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Who What Now posted:

No, but one of them is a cactus-bandito

Vizuyos posted:

excuse me, one of them has a flying robot horse, piloted by an actual horse

g gundam absolutely does not give a gently caress about realism and i love it

These things are neat, but they are not carrying an energy scythe the size of an office tower.

I will wear my metal mask and die on this hill even if all my subordinates tell me it's suicide. (I lied before--I know a tiny bit of poo poo about Gundam).

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

I'm not going to try to argue which ridiculous over-the-top Gundam is best, but this thread started with two excellent MS's from 0080, and somehow still doesn't have my favorite, the RX-77D.

It's a shame it only showed up to get murked by the Kämpfer, the design is just so clean and solid.

And speaking of the best Gundam (series) ever, my assertion is that the Heat Hawk is just as valid a part of the Kämpfer's loadout as the shotgun or mine-chain. Prove me wrong!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

PeterWeller posted:

These things are neat, but they are not carrying an energy scythe the size of an office tower.

Trident > Scythe

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Now, you might be wondering "how does a lightsaber fork mid-beam?"

A question G-Gundam answers with: "Shut the gently caress up, nerd."

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The extent to which G-Gundam's mechs are better than the rest of Gundam is just...so vast and self-evident. The American gundam has revolver chambers for shoulders. It's incredible.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Tulip posted:

The extent to which G-Gundam's mechs are better than the rest of Gundam is just...so vast and self-evident. The American gundam has revolver chambers for shoulders. It's incredible.

What's the difference between a G-Gundam and a normal Gundam?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I loved this show when I was a kid. gently caress it, I was 18 in 1999, ok?

https://youtu.be/lmiswp6XMXI

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Bucnasti posted:

The original Gundam series was an exploration on the dehumanizing costs of war on a small group of young people, as well as a way for the original creator to help himself (and others) grapple with the idea that their parents can be good loving people who still may have done awful things during World War II.

G-Gundam is an exploration of the true costs of capitalism. In G-Gundam, every few years the wealthy of all nations assemble a whole bunch of Street Fighter Robots to fight a single elimination tournament (except when it isn't) that decides which of them gets to take the biggest poo poo on the poor until the next time they decide to hold a tournament. The wealthy are so out of touch that their "engineer bigger and more expensive robots" plan backfires when Space Japan accidentally creates a Gundam made out of self-replicating nanites that tries to gray goo all the rich people and is only stopped thanks to the power of love (+ one horse).

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Bucnasti posted:

this is how normal gundams get into space:

this is how G-Gundams get into space:

and don't get me started on how G-Gundams do atmospheric reentry

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Vizuyos posted:

Goddam, now I have to watch this.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Vizuyos posted:

EARTH IS THE BATTLEFIELD!!!!!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sanguinia posted:

EARTH IS THE BATTLEFIELD!!!!!

colony drop off the top rope

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Barudak posted:

Inside Out features a squad piloting the mech, ergo better

Seriously missed opportunity for a Power Rangers reference in that movie

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Who What Now posted:

Trident > Scythe

Nope. Tridents are for catching fish. Scythes are for reaping what you sow. :getin:

Vizuyos posted:

I am now ready to reevaluate my position.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The biggest sin in that photo is the metal as gently caress Gundam using a chain in the background while the lame-rear end rx knockoff is front and center.

Also there's a giant mechazord in the Doom Eternal dlc art

Marsupial Ape posted:

I loved this show when I was a kid. gently caress it, I was 18 in 1999, ok?

https://youtu.be/lmiswp6XMXI
The art and design was great on this show. It's a loving travesty FOX hung it out to dry after 6 episodes.

This and Sam and Max were great additions but really more of a Toonami-lite

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 17, 2021

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYL3rTdvsKM&t=198s

Start at 3:17 and watch to the end of the clip. If you're not sold on G Gundam after that, it's probably not for you.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Snake Maze posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYL3rTdvsKM&t=198s

Start at 3:17 and watch to the end of the clip. If you're not sold on G Gundam after that, it's probably not for you.

LOOK! THE EAST IS BURNING RED! :japan:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Tulip posted:

You forgot to mention that its armor resembles football gear, and when jettisoned it becomes a bare-chested boxer and uses the shoulderpads as gloves.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Razor Jacksuit posted:

I'm not going to try to argue which ridiculous over-the-top Gundam is best, but this thread started with two excellent MS's from 0080, and somehow still doesn't have my favorite, the RX-77D.

It's a shame it only showed up to get murked by the Kämpfer, the design is just so clean and solid.

And speaking of the best Gundam (series) ever, my assertion is that the Heat Hawk is just as valid a part of the Kämpfer's loadout as the shotgun or mine-chain. Prove me wrong!

The Heat Hawk was never part of the Kampfers loadout because it had the internal beam saber remember? And besides the whole plan was for Cyclops team to smuggle in weapons and poo poo into the colony, the extent of which was actually really outrageous

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The french gundam is Napoleon with a lazer rapier.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

FilthyImp posted:

The biggest sin in that photo is the metal as gently caress Gundam using a chain in the background while the lame-rear end rx knockoff is front and center.

The last few episodes are loaded with cameos. Aside from the Crossbone-looking thing in that shot, I know a bunch of others, including early design of the Wing and number of other older ones show up in there as well.

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

Sjs00 posted:

The Heat Hawk was never part of the Kampfers loadout because it had the internal beam saber remember? And besides the whole plan was for Cyclops team to smuggle in weapons and poo poo into the colony, the extent of which was actually really outrageous

I misremembered that the Kampfer had the shotgun when first deployed, but my stupid point is that the models always come with a chain mine, even though it's just one of the weapons hidden around the colony in trucks. The Heat Hawk and cracker grenades Bernie uses in the final battle are recovered from just such a truck, so it seems like they have equal justification to be considered part of the Kampfer's loadout.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Razor Jacksuit posted:

I misremembered that the Kampfer had the shotgun when first deployed, but my stupid point is that the models always come with a chain mine, even though it's just one of the weapons hidden around the colony in trucks. The Heat Hawk and cracker grenades Bernie uses in the final battle are recovered from just such a truck, so it seems like they have equal justification to be considered part of the Kampfer's loadout.

Absolutely. The Kampfer and the Zaku both used a 'universal system' that all MS came to use for weapons. The chain mine also hasn't appeared since so it basically is a Kampfer only weapon. All the other weapons it ever used were however used by other Zeon suits as it was shown. Zeon really had it going at that time of the war, their pilots were badass as Cyclops was special ops after all

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Sjs00 posted:

The chain mine also hasn't appeared since so it basically is a Kampfer only weapon.
You know that wicked fight scene you've been missing? Well check this out.
https://youtu.be/96nBNxAXg3c

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Sazabi posted:

You know that wicked fight scene you've been missing? Well check this out.
https://youtu.be/96nBNxAXg3c

That Duke nukem poo poo has got to go

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Build Fighters is a sports-anime-esq show about simulated battles, but it still has a well-liked fight featuring a Kampfer variant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxFKgiaYIsQ&t=661s
(11 minutes in if it doesn't go to the right start time)

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

wdarkk posted:

Build Fighters is a sports-anime-esq show about simulated battles, but it still has a well-liked fight featuring a Kampfer variant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxFKgiaYIsQ&t=661s
(11 minutes in if it doesn't go to the right start time)

So it's the YuGiOh universe except children's action figures instead of children's card games.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Who What Now posted:

So it's the YuGiOh universe except children's action figures instead of children's card games.

Gunpla referees have actual arrest powers, so yes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Who What Now posted:

This kind of thing is literally an entire genre of anime.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Gunpla referees have actual arrest powers, so yes.

And the Gunpla Mafia is a thing that exists.

drat, OG Build Fighters was so much fun.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It probably sucks to be into model jets in that world

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

It probably sucks to be into model jets in that world

Not too bad, we see a more general plastic model club in Build Fighters Try and it has more members than the gunpla battle club. I assume it benefits from much more profitable hobby stores, since gunpla battles mean you have to rebuy model kits to repair your gunpla.

Also, there's actually more than one Build timeline, because Gundam loves its AUs.

In order of appearance, they are:
  • The Plamo-Kyoshiro series which I know little about because it's a manga from 1982 and has no official translation as far as I know.
  • The Gunpla Builders Beginning G OVAs, which I've heard are mediocre.
  • Build Fighters, where as discussed toys are animated by mysterious technology and you have the gunpla tournaments, gunpla mafia, special gunpla training schools, etc. At least politicians don't settle their differences by gunpla battle (as far as we know, maybe they do). Adjectiveless Build Fighters is really great, but Try is brought down by its awful love triangle stuff, the fact that Sekai is an obvious copy of Reiji (hell, they say it in the show) that isn't as much fun, and a 3v3 fight format that was mandated by executives and resented by the production staff. Also the dubs for both are awful.
  • Build Divers, which is sort of an alternate future for Fighters where in-person gunpla battling is superseded by VRMMO gunpla battling. The subtitle-less series is really boring, but Re:Rise is great (albeit different from the other good Build series). The dubs are great.
  • Build Real, which is a live action series that has augmented reality gunpla battle. It's not released yet. Since fights are done in CGI it seems likely that the traditional "dozens of cameos of obscure mobile suits, each of which lasts like 5 seconds" thing won't happen. Sad times.

Re:Rise actually just got its English dub completed on the official youtube channel, so give it a try. Some people find it a little slow to get going since "what the stakes actually are" is the midseason twist, but I never complained about that, it probably helped I liked the characters from the word go.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This kind of thing is literally an entire genre of anime.

Any idea that makes money becomes an entire genre. That's just a given.

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

The Scopedog from VOTOMs is great

Watching mechs in VOTOMs scoot around via the wheels in their feet is great/highly entertaining
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FocusedOccasionalIslandwhistler-mobile.mp4
https://zippy.gfycat.com/KaleidoscopicFaroffDungbeetle.webm

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Harry Lime posted:

Watching mechs in VOTOMs scoot around via the wheels in their feet is great/highly entertaining

A bunch of animators copying that for robots that don't have wheels on their feet is annoying but I can't blame VOTOMs for it.

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

wdarkk posted:

A bunch of animators copying that for robots that don't have wheels on their feet is annoying but I can't blame VOTOMs for it.

The sound effect of the high pitched mechanical whine when they are scooting around also is part of what endears me to it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyu1ShmG8ow

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Harry Lime posted:

The sound effect of the high pitched mechanical whine when they are scooting around also is part of what endears me to it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyu1ShmG8ow

The Votoms director made another mecha show, Panzer World Galient, and the main robot in that also has foot wheels and makes the exact same sound.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

wdarkk posted:

I liked Code Geass' implementation, before flight became the new normal the Knightmares had what were essentially giant robot heelies that stowed against the lower legs when not in use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
Heavy Gears are also extremely VOTOMs esque (and intentionally so), particularly the southern ones, maybe with a little zaku in there as well in parts.