Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

That Kiernan collection includes Interstate Love Song which is worth price of admission alone, even if Kiernan isn't your thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Since we're doing our periodic Wounds love-fest, does anyone have any other recommendations for books that take place in/deal with literal hell? I've read a few like City Infernal and Soma, but neither are books I'd recommend to others.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I wanted to read the first chapter of Carrier Wave to see what it was like and it was just so good that I've decided to read it before Wounds. drat it's good so far.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Untrustable posted:

I wanted to read the first chapter of Carrier Wave to see what it was like and it was just so good that I've decided to read it before Wounds. drat it's good so far.

I too am enjoying this friend

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Finished up Carrier Wave. What a sprawling epic that was. It instantly jumped to the #1 spot of 2021 for me. It's so sweeping while also super focused on the characters. It's a long read, but very worth it.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

You inhaled that thing!

I just read the chapter War Bastard and had to step away. Its really good.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

You inhaled that thing!

I just read the chapter War Bastard and had to step away. Its really good.

I'm unemployed and spend time reviewing indie horror games and books. I try to finish 3-5 books a week. I'm one story into Wounds right now. I went ahead and picked up all the other suggestions.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Untrustable posted:

I'm unemployed and spend time reviewing indie horror games and books. I try to finish 3-5 books a week. I'm one story into Wounds right now. I went ahead and picked up all the other suggestions.

How do I get that job?

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Just start doing it on Twitter, Steam, Goodreads, etc. and hope you pick up some kind of following. There's not enough money in it to make a living. I guess if you monetized your tweets or ran a successful website that you could push ads on you could make some money. I was working a full-time job last month before I lost it, and now I read books, play games, work on my home renovation, and chill. I'll find another job eventually. Until then, good books.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Untrustable posted:

Since you’re consuming so much horror right now, any deep cut recommendations?

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Untrustable posted:

Just start doing it on Twitter, Steam, Goodreads, etc. and hope you pick up some kind of following. There's not enough money in it to make a living. I guess if you monetized your tweets or ran a successful website that you could push ads on you could make some money. I was working a full-time job last month before I lost it, and now I read books, play games, work on my home renovation, and chill. I'll find another job eventually. Until then, good books.

Jealous

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The best thing about consistently reviewing books is that eventually publishers will start sending you books.

The worst thing about consistently reviewing books is that eventually publishers will start sending you so many books you can't actually read them all.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Since you’re consuming so much horror right now, any deep cut recommendations?

Book-wise I'm reading Wounds as suggested by the thread (Skullpocket is a pretty dope dark fairytale of sorts). I also really enjoyed Obscura by Joe Hart. Game-wise go check out recently released Cruelty Squad, Lakeview Cabin 1&2, Search Party, Murder House, or Buddy Simulator 1984. You can always PM for a weird horror game recommendation, as they generally take less time to form an opinion on than reading a full novel or short story collection.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

I’m like 2/3 of the way through carrier wave and the biggest terror of the book is watching the percentage left tick away and acknowledging that this book is gonna end. It’s a long book but it could be twice as long and I’d eagerly gobble it up.

I want more of this world and I’m conflicted between wanting to read more immediately and not wanting it to end.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Gosh dang it okay y’all convinced me I’ll buy Carrier Wave.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I had that same problem where I was like, "it's only at 40% done, good. Lots of book left." *What seemed like 10 minutes later* "86% what the gently caress?"

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I ENJOY RUINING STEAK LIKE A GODDAMN BARBARIAN

MockingQuantum posted:

I haven't read it yet, but TE Grau's I Am the River is set in North Vietnam during the end of the war. I think someone in here read it though. Bilirubin maybe?
Don't bother. The buildup is slow and meandering, and the payoff is a huge let-down. I couldn't be bothered to finish the last 50 pages or so once it became clear the book has no ability to fulfill the promises it made at the beginning.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Has anyone read this?

https://www.amazon.com.mx/Horrorsto...15521694&sr=8-1

I want to know if the unusual format is used nicely.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mr. Nemo posted:

Has anyone read this?

The audiobook was fun but I can't say anything about the format. I had no idea it was something special until long after I heard it

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Len posted:

The audiobook was fun but I can't say anything about the format. I had no idea it was something special until long after I heard it

Oh, that's interesting. I actually found it through a list of "books that won't work on kindle" lol. Glad to hear your experience with it was pleasant. hopefully the physical book will add even more to it.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Mr. Nemo posted:

Oh, that's interesting. I actually found it through a list of "books that won't work on kindle" lol. Glad to hear your experience with it was pleasant. hopefully the physical book will add even more to it.

Oddly enough, I read this on a kindle. Don't remember any weird formatting, unless they're talking about the pictures/diagrams. I liked it alot, so any formatting issues didn't detract from it

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Mr. Nemo posted:

Has anyone read this?

There was discussion of it a while back in the thread. I liked it because I kinda dig that sort of horror story where you can’t trust your senses. I also liked the evolution of the catalog items as things progressed.

Mid late ending spoilers: it got a lot less good when it tried to explain things, but then the climax and epiloguey bit was pretty ok

I think I read it on an iPad and had no trouble with weird formatting

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The formatting is fine with the ebook but I think it's best read as a print copy, since the most unique thing about it is the presentation. It's basically closer to a coffee-table book with a novel inside than the other way around, iirc. The book itself is a perfectly fine horror story that doesn't try to do anything terribly unique. I'd say it's probably Hendrix's weakest book to date, though I wasn't crazy about Southern Book Club either.

Ultimately, it's a neat artifact as a print book, and I'm not certain I'd get enough out of it to pay for it as an ebook. I got the ebook from the library purely out of curiosity.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, the formatting on Horrorstor is fun, although it's not extensive -- you get the catalog form factor, one catalog blurb per chapter, and a few in-universe ads, but most of it is just a novel. I was a little disappointed by that, but overall it's a decent book, if a bit light and basic.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Ah yeah I got Horrorstör from a Humble Bundle way back and read it on my Kindle. I really enjoyed it and would like a sequel. I noticed no issues on my Kindle version. I liked the weird catalogue stuff.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I don’t know if it’s horror, it doesn’t neatly conform to any genre I can think of (really dark fantasy history???), but we had a power outage recently so I ate through The Drawing of the Dark by candlelight at an insane rate and liked it a lot.

It’s about a former mercenary in the 1500’s who winds up at the Siege of Vienna but then there’s all sorts of gribblies and weird poo poo that come out of the works. Pretty good. From a modern perspective it could be read as anti-Muslim but it’s far from overt and the book came out in 79 so I’m assuming that’s just aging and if you asked Tim Powers about it you’d get some variation on, “Yeah, sorry, a big West vs East conflict looks bad now but I can’t predict politics in 40 years. My bad.”

Plus some really good sword fights.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Kinda bottomed out on Wounds after The Visible Filth. I figure I'll start on Night Film.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Untrustable posted:

Kinda bottomed out on Wounds after The Visible Filth. I figure I'll start on Night Film.

I liked Night Film a lot, even if it has atmosphere than solid ooks and spooks.

My go-to way of recommending it is that I was 3/4 through it and proctoring a final, and I got so wrapped up that when a student handed in their finished exam I was actually pretty annoyed. I'm not a jerk professor, I just was really that engaged.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Untrustable posted:

FWIW I thought The Visible Filth was the lowest point in Wounds, and the general feeling is The Butcher's Table is the most unique story in the collection. It was definitely my favorite and I genuinely think if you quit after Visible Filth you're missing out on the highlight of the book.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I'll read Butchers Table but drat The Visible Filth is probably the worst Ballingrud by a mile. Story threads left hanging all over the place while he fawns over pseudo-religious bullshit and gore. It feels incomplete and unsatisfying. It's like 3 stories mashed together that barely made sense already. The other stories are so good though!

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I really want more stuff like the Butcher's Table. Seems like a ripe time period and setting for this kind of horror. On Stranger Tides was pretty good but obviously not quite the same.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I liked Visible Filth (still it might be the low point in the collection), but The Butcher’s Table is a masterpiece in novella form.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Echoing what everyone said. I almost feel like The Visible Filth reads like a parody of Ballingrud’s worst tendencies. Didn’t like it at all, it feels empty and unfinished.

That being said, do yourself a favor and keep reading Bc you’ll be getting to read The Butcher’s Table for the first time and that’s something you shouldn’t voluntarily give up.

Also if anyone ITT hasn’t yet read The Other Side of the Mountain by Michel Bernanos, and you like the nautical horror of Butcher and Stranger Tides, you should seek it out. The entire novella is available in “The Weird” anthology, with a great translation by Thomas Merton. It was one of those things where I started reading it late at night because I didn’t realize how long it was, and I just wanted to read a lil spooky story before bed, and then I ended up staying awake till 1 in the morning because I had to finish it all in one sitting. It is one of the most underrated horror novels out there IMO. Wild it is not talked about or known about more widely.

Also I was loving Blackwater so much I decided I needed to own the story in its original form, so now in addition to the lovely one-volume edition from Valancourt, I also have the six original paperback novellas it was printed as. I am so happy to add them to my collection.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Echoing what everyone said. I almost feel like The Visible Filth reads like a parody of Ballingrud’s worst tendencies. Didn’t like it at all, it feels empty and unfinished.

That being said, do yourself a favor and keep reading Bc you’ll be getting to read The Butcher’s Table for the first time and that’s something you shouldn’t voluntarily give up.

Also if anyone ITT hasn’t yet read The Other Side of the Mountain by Michel Bernanos, and you like the nautical horror of Butcher and Stranger Tides, you should seek it out. The entire novella is available in “The Weird” anthology, with a great translation by Thomas Merton. It was one of those things where I started reading it late at night because I didn’t realize how long it was, and I just wanted to read a lil spooky story before bed, and then I ended up staying awake till 1 in the morning because I had to finish it all in one sitting. It is one of the most underrated horror novels out there IMO. Wild it is not talked about or known about more widely.

Also I was loving Blackwater so much I decided I needed to own the story in its original form, so now in addition to the lovely one-volume edition from Valancourt, I also have the six original paperback novellas it was printed as. I am so happy to add them to my collection.

The Other Side of the Mountain is fantastic, I had it recommended to me and went looking for a copy for about a week and a half before I realized I already had it in The Weird. I want more fiction like that and The Butcher's Table. I'd say On Stranger Tides but I had a hard time enjoying that book, it felt weirdly lifeless to me. My hopes were probably set too high.

More weird/horror nautical fiction!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The Visible Filth is probably the oldest story in the collection and had been published elsewhere before being included in Wounds (as I understand it). I thought it read like Ballingrud writign in the style of Laird Barron myself. I thought the creep factor was high, both for good and ill.

I liked parts of The Butcher's Table a whole lot but my standout story in Wounds was The Love Machine. Butcher's table seemed a little twee to me and lacked a lot of the psychological element that makes me so fond of his writing..

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Bilirubin posted:

The Visible Filth is probably the oldest story in the collection and had been published elsewhere before being included in Wounds (as I understand it).

It was published as a chapbook four years earlier.

HouseOfLeaves99
Mar 20, 2009
I love Brian Hodge and have been wanting to read World of Hurt. Through random googling, I see Earthling Publications seems to have copies. I know they are fancier and such, but is Earthing a reputable site?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I'm about halfway through the cipher and it's loving gross awesome. Lots of weird dread coupled with awful filth. Looking forward to the rest.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
I'm doing research for a project involving Tennessee (specifically the southeast border) and I'm looking for some creepy materials on rural southern Appalachia. Works by people native to the area would be a huge plus. Anything worth checking out? The exact location is kinda important, the border of the Tennessee Valley and the Blue Ridge Mountains is fairly significant to the work I'm doing and contains a lot of natural diversity. Really though, anything Appalachian is a thumbs up, fiction or otherwise. Classic ghost stories, monster stuff, hillbilly horror, all good good good.

Also Ballingrud will never top Lake Monsters. It's his Teatro Grottesco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

R.L. Stine posted:

I'm doing research for a project involving Tennessee (specifically the southeast border) and I'm looking for some creepy materials on rural southern Appalachia. Works by people native to the area would be a huge plus. Anything worth checking out? The exact location is kinda important, the border of the Tennessee Valley and the Blue Ridge Mountains is fairly significant to the work I'm doing and contains a lot of natural diversity. Really though, anything Appalachian is a thumbs up, fiction or otherwise. Classic ghost stories, monster stuff, hillbilly horror, all good good good.

Also Ballingrud will never top Lake Monsters. It's his Teatro Grottesco.

I don't have books I can point to (they live in a box right now), but anything on Appalachian/Scotch-Irish folklore is gonna be a good start. Check out the Anthropology section out at your local library, or even better, a good college book-store.