Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Vince MechMahon posted:

I used to like him too. He was a curmudgeon but he had good stories about the old days, even if he couldn't get over those days. But his recent behavior is beyond the pale.

Yeah, that's really hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Bogus Adventure posted:

I thought earlier in this thread we had debunked the racism and homophobia part. He has said that he hated racism and homophobia, and it was one of the reasons he loving hated the Ultimate Warrior.

He has a bunch of takes that are stupid and crass, plus he definitely has some prejudices that he isn't ready to deal with, and the problem is that he's basically had the sole job to walk the fine line between "funny but obnoxious" and "everybody in the building now wants refunds" for his entire adult life, which means he'll never walk back or apologise for anything because it ruins the whole thing of being the guy who comes out and shits on the town if he then comes out later and apologises because he was having a bad day. But as far as assholes go in professional wrestling, the last year has made very clear that he's nowhere near the top.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Vince MechMahon posted:

I used to like him too. He was a curmudgeon but he had good stories about the old days, even if he couldn't get over those days. But his recent behavior is beyond the pale.

his recent behavior is mild compared to the muslim rant and calling a black guy the n word.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

oh dope posted:

Just remember that Bret utterly refused to give up the fake championship title of the fake sport when his boss told him to. It wasn't like he was losing his livelihood or anything. Michaels and Hart are both egomaniacs (one was slightly more pilled up than the other) and Vince is going to do whatever it takes to get what he wants.

I'm no expert but wasn't Bret ok with dropping the championship, but he didn't want to do it in Canada? I think there was also an issue where another WWF belt holder had gone to WCW and tossed the belt in the trash and Vince didn't want that to happen again.

This is a great thread. My first impression of wrestling was a cousin's owning a WWF Sega game (I think Royal Rumble) and having fun trying to win the belt. I think every wrestler was the same except for their special moves which were in no way balanced. Like IRS had to be running at the other guy who just bounced off the ropes, and Macho Man's top rope move wasn't worth the trouble. I wasn't good at remember the buttons for a pin, so British Bulldog was my favorite as his special move ended with a pin.

As you advanced in matches the computer got near unbeatable, but was susceptible to having your guy exit the ring and stand there until the other guy came after him. The computer would start trying to get back in the ring at about a 7 count so that's when you whip him into a post as far away from the ring as possible, then run to get back inside. It was usually enough to beat the Warrior.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 40 days!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I'm no expert but wasn't Bret ok with dropping the championship, but he didn't want to do it in Canada? I think there was also an issue where another WWF belt holder had gone to WCW and tossed the belt in the trash and Vince didn't want that to happen again.

IIRC, Bret was reportedly fine even with dropping it in another Canadian town, he just didn't want to drop it in his hometown area. And yeah, it was Madusa Miceli (aka Alundra Blayze in the WWF) that showed up on WCW TV. She was still in possession of the WWF Women's title as I recall, and dumped it in a trash can live on Nitro.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Anyway, he's not wrong about the screwjob. His shoot interview with Bobby Heenan is still worth watching.

One of the myths about the screwjob was that Bret was due to appear on WCW days later, possibly with the title. But that wasn't true. For one, as dumb as they are, they were already in hot water with WWF over the Madusa incident. There were legal wranglings behind the scenes, they weren't about to do the same thing again.

Bret, in reality, didn't appear until about a month later, which had always been the plan. If they were going to capitalise on Bret by putting him on TV that week they would have done regardless of if he's holding the title.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

If anyone wants free and pretty drat good wrestling, check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4cbuWQFcJU

A new AEW show where they showcase up and coming wrestlers. Features at least a pretty drat good high flying match by Jungle Boy (Luke Perry's son) and a main event with the world's cutest, Maki Itoh.

Jungle Boy opens the show, and here is the time stamp for Maki Itoh's match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4cbuWQFcJU&t=6403s

Itoh's not the best wrestler out there - her moves are kinda sloppy and she really needs to work on keeping her transitions fluid (although the tornado DDT was nice) but the way that she keels over for the falling headbutt is frankly delightful and a testament to how a move doesn't need to be overly complex to look great.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Breetai posted:

Itoh's not the best wrestler out there - her moves are kinda sloppy and she really needs to work on keeping her transitions fluid (although the tornado DDT was nice) but the way that she keels over for the falling headbutt is frankly delightful and a testament to how a move doesn't need to be overly complex to look great.

This is what carried Rock's elbow-drop finisher

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yes and yes. A women's champion was cut when the women's division was axed by she still had the belt and she threw it away live on Nitro

And Bret was even okay losing in Canada (although it was initially a non-starter, he agreed if the loss could be close and controversial. He was supposed to get in trouble and be saved by his posse but then get disqualified. Not great, but better then a straight loss and you'd get to watch his teammates clobber Michaels as consolidation, and losing by DQ means you don't lose the belt, which he would voluntarily relinquish the next day on Raw. So Shawn would be clearly in a winning position but not actually win, and Bret gets to leave with the belt and fans get to see him leave with dignity.

But that's not what happened, of course.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Breetai posted:

Yeah I love that dumb headbutt :allears:

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1371625907631357957

There's also a match worth watching earlier, with Marko Stunt (legit a very small guy) wrestling a big hulking muscle guy. They do a really good job of having the big guy just tossing Marko Stunt around like a ragdoll while still managing to pull off some death defying moves of his own.

Timestamped here for everyone's convenience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4cbuWQFcJU&t=1681s

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I played a lot of the N64 wrestling games. A friend and I liked the ladder matches where you won by climbing and getting the belt. We'd leave the computer alone while standing in the ring holding weapons, as c'mon buddy don't you want to win the match? When he'd reach the top rung we'd throw debris at the ladder and watch Steve Austin topple to his doom. Then wait for him to stand up and repeat.

I liked in the career mode how the goal was to never lose and win every title then retain them forever. Gameplay wise made sense but that would be bad tv and a strange writer's room.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Also, according to everyone who worked with Cornette at ROH, he was a piece of poo poo to work for who would put people down all the time.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Hyrax Attack! posted:

That's correct. Vince has a weird loving boner for making people lose in their hometown.

I'm listening to a pretty intense podcast about Chris Benoit and it is a very stark reminder that Vince McMahon, (and Linda too), is the scum of the loving earth.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
I like Roman the heel, he is actually cool, but Jay Uso needs to get his come uppance! I am so mad Vince, you are working me! And the Friday Night Fraud, Seth, but he is cool! I actually love both of them, basically my favorite segments of the week!

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Eclipse12 posted:

Yes and yes. A women's champion was cut when the women's division was axed by she still had the belt and she threw it away live on Nitro

And Bret was even okay losing in Canada (although it was initially a non-starter, he agreed if the loss could be close and controversial. He was supposed to get in trouble and be saved by his posse but then get disqualified. Not great, but better then a straight loss and you'd get to watch his teammates clobber Michaels as consolidation, and losing by DQ means you don't lose the belt, which he would voluntarily relinquish the next day on Raw. So Shawn would be clearly in a winning position but not actually win, and Bret gets to leave with the belt and fans get to see him leave with dignity.

But that's not what happened, of course.

It's loving fake Bret Hart should've just lost in whatever way they wanted him to and been done with it, especially since he was going to another company anyway. Trying to save face or whatever when it's scripted and everyone but the youngest kids watching know it is so stupid. No one is going to think he's a better wrestler because he lost with a controversial finish, they're going to think he's a bitch who whined behind the scenes to make it happen that way.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

oh dope posted:

I'm listening to a pretty intense podcast about Chris Benoit and it is a very stark reminder that Vince McMahon, (and Linda too), is the scum of the loving earth.

I watched the Dark Side of the Ring episode about him and it was very intense.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
The Little People wrestling (I don't know if "midget" if offensive to anyone so...), what ever happened to that? Yes I know jokes were made at their expense but those guys have some moves!

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

It's loving fake Bret Hart should've just lost in whatever way they wanted him to and been done with it, especially since he was going to another company anyway. Trying to save face or whatever when it's scripted and everyone but the youngest kids watching know it is so stupid. No one is going to think he's a better wrestler because he lost with a controversial finish, they're going to think he's a bitch who whined behind the scenes to make it happen that way.

The marks are in the ring, brother

A lot of them seriously buy into the hype about titles being prestigious. Bret Hart is one of the biggest marks in the business. Basically, Bret screwed Bret.

Vince Mcmahon is still a vile piece of poo poo and I will celebrate the day he dies

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Who runs WWE when Vince croaks? HHH or Stephanie? Shane?

Im assuming Stephanie.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Bret being pissed was pretty understandable when you remember that Michaels pulled some real bullshit on him less than a year earlier.

Back when Bret was champ for WrestleMania 12, he and Michaels decided that a cool way to do it would be for Michaels to win the title off Bret at that event, then Bret would win a rematch a year later and they'd take it from there. When it came time to build towards WrestleMania 13, Michaels suddenly went, "My leg is entirely too messed up for me to go on and also BEING A WRESTLER MAKES ME SO SAD. I'm going to vacate the title and go on vacation until my leg heals and I remember what being happy is."

This messed up all the plans for WrestleMania 13. Michaels did appear at the show in a non-wrestling role, but was dancing around like a goofball as if to say that his leg was just fine and he successfully got away with not having to drop the belt.

When the time came for Bret to drop the belt, he insisted he would do it for anyone but Michaels because gently caress him.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Im assuming Stephanie.

It'll be Hornswoggle.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'm still talking about that AEW Elevation video I posted earlier. It features Paul Wight, The Giant / Big Show, as a co-commentator and I gotta say I'm very impressed with the dude on the mic. He does a good job of playing the "old pro giving insights into the sport" role and also a very good job of building all the wrestlers up and hyping them up.

I mean, I shouldn't be surprised considering he's always been decent on the mic and did have a sitcom, but it's still nice to see him transitioning to a new role successfully AND doing it while not playing some ridiculous over the top character.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Im assuming Stephanie.
it's going to be stephanie and hhh
but there's going to be a power struggle
but shane will not be in it

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It's gonna be interesting. In a way you'd think that Stephanie might be more progressive and less lovely than her lovely dad, but she IS Vince's daughter and has been groomed for the position for years so who knows at this point.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Friend of mine turns out to find AEW completely ridiculous (Revolution didn't help), but hyped up the well-received Walter vs. Dragunov match from NXT, and, I dunno. It was definitely memorable and engaging, but it was also two beefy guys slapping each other raw for half an hour while grunting like they're passing a kidney stone and occasionally doing a German suplex. And Walter comes out straight up wearing an SS coat.

What is it with wrestlers having so much in-ring dialogue now, is that the new WWE house style now there's no audience, or have they always done it and you just hear it better now?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I guess I shouldn't say shane won't be in the picture, because there is always the complicating factor of vince mcmahon being an insane person?
he may, just now, have decided to leave the entire company to shane because he realized that he doesn't like the way stephanie looks when she sits, and it would not surprise me in the least

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

In a way you'd think that Stephanie might be more progressive and less lovely than her lovely dad, but she IS Vince's daughter and has been groomed for the position for years so who knows at this point.

https://twitter.com/StephMcMahon/status/581881800659591168

:ironicat:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Bonzo posted:

The Little People wrestling (I don't know if "midget" if offensive to anyone so...), what ever happened to that? Yes I know jokes were made at their expense but those guys have some moves!

Mini-Estrella wrestling (Spanish for Small Star) has a long and storied tradition in Mexico's lucha libre. One of the biggest names is Mascarita Sagrada who's an absolutely jaw-dropping athlete

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
WWE signed Mascarita Dorada and made him dress up in a bull suit

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

My wife is awesome and got me a Mick Foley Cameo video for my birthday.

He sang a birthday song in his Mankind mask
:kimchi:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Bonzo posted:

Hornswoggle had a cameo at the Royal Rumble a few years back if I recall.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Before I knew what was going on it was more fun to watch Royal Rumble tapes as I really thought anyone could win. Sure there have been massive storylines going on for months hyping up Austin and the Rock, but perhaps the Mountie or Honky Tonk Man will pull an upset. Who knows what Mosh has planned?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Bret Hart had creative control in his contract, and Michaels had previously told him he (Michaels) would never drop the belt to him (Bret) presumably in one of his pilled-up tirades, so based on the terms of his contract it was perfectly acceptable if extremely petty to conduct himself how he did

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
IDR anything in the Rule Book saying you had to enter the Rumble as soon as your name is called. Just chill in back until someone 'wins' them come down and beat up the tired guy, basically a MITB cash in!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Michael Corleone posted:

IDR anything in the Rule Book saying you had to enter the Rumble as soon as your name is called. Just chill in back until someone 'wins' them come down and beat up the tired guy, basically a MITB cash in!

Didn't Vince do that in 1999? I think he went ringside to commentate for a while.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Michael Corleone posted:

You have to enter the ring before the next entrant does or you're eliminated :eng101:

This rule applied once

In 1991

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Michael Corleone posted:

Or chill IN the ring getting your rear end kicked for an hour like Flair did. Wooo!Wood!

Rarity posted:

You have to enter the ring before the next entrant does or you're eliminated :eng101:

This rule applied once

In 1991

Learned something new

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

You can enter then immediately exit though. Lawler hid under the ring the entire time once I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Sydney Bottocks posted:

IIRC, Bret was reportedly fine even with dropping it in another Canadian town, he just didn't want to drop it in his hometown area. And yeah, it was Madusa Miceli (aka Alundra Blayze in the WWF) that showed up on WCW TV. She was still in possession of the WWF Women's title as I recall, and dumped it in a trash can live on Nitro.

Survivor Series 97 was in Montreal, and Bret is from Calgary, which is nowhere near Quebec.