Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The Making-Of Superman Returns on the DVD is really good. They really don't have candid behind-the-scenes footage like that any more. You never see people arguing or stressed out or anything like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Jimbot posted:

The Making-Of Superman Returns on the DVD is really good. They really don't have candid behind-the-scenes footage like that any more. You never see people arguing or stressed out or anything like that.

I have that DVD, I should check that out...

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

josh04 posted:

we got you

Five Galt-coins for you, fellow Snyderbro

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Singer and Spacey. I don’t know of any stories offhand, I haven’t looked into it, but I have no trouble in believing that bad things by those two probably happened during filming. Not I’m concert, just their normal awful behavior.

I have a story. A friend of my brother's was a driver on the film and production stopped for several days because Bryan Singer vanished to go to mardi gras. It's not creepy or anything but it is massively unprofessional. I think he pulled something similar on that Queen film he did.

Jimbot posted:

X-Men 1.5 and 2 both had fly on the wall documentaries that captured a lot of arguments and stress. I miss those.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/ray8fisher/status/1371871183713488897?s=19

Gail Simone is approving

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

RBA Starblade posted:

That quote reminds me of game modders compared to professionals

Just recently a fan found a bug fix to make GTA 5 load way faster - 8 years after release and Rockstar was like, oh we should put that in.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

Just recently a fan found a bug fix to make GTA 5 load way faster - 8 years after release and Rockstar was like, oh we should put that in.
And they actually paid the guy $10K for the Rockstar Bug Bounty even though it technically didn't qualify, good on them

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

12 AM PDT

https://twitter.com/snydercut/status/1371954680197115905?s=20

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I'll actually have off Thursday so I can wake up, grab some breakfast and watch Snyder Cut all day. Pretty cool.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

:siren: REMINDER :siren:

Man of Steel will be streaming tonight at 10PM CT in CineD Discord in preparation for the release of Zack Snyder's Justice League. Join the Snack Snyder voice channel to watch! And please remember to mute your mic if you decide to join :) Thanks, and praise be to thy Snyderbro :worship:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Zaphod42 posted:

I think the cinematography at times makes mistakes; the fake camera focus and shake makes it harder to follow the already extremely kinetic action, rather than doing the JJ Abrams thing he should have done like George Miller in Fury Road and totally locked the camera center on Superman during super fast combat, so your eyes can follow the action easier.
Not a mistake, he's using " handheld" to allow the obvious cgi objects to become reality, so the camera is purposefully having a hard time keeping up with what's going on. It follows through with how Superman is shot when he approaches the court in BvS, these are monsters battling.

But I have to disagree, the mos fights are some of the most readable and best fight scenes he's done.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 17, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Oh whoops, I thought it was 3AM central. Re-scheduling the CineD livestream to that day for 2AM then :getin:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

bushisms.txt posted:

Not a mistake, he's using " handheld" to allow the obvious cgi objects to become reality, so the camera is purposefully having a hard time keeping up with what's going on. It follows through with how Superman is shot when he approaches the court in BvS, these are monsters battling.

But I have to disagree, the mos fights are some of the most readable and best fight scenes he's done.

It's notable that Snyder is The Slowdown Guy, just about all his previous films had a bunch of speed-ramping to show off sick bits of action, but there's no slowdown at all in Man Of Steel. You probably have to watch the ending fight with Zod a few times to really understand what's happening because it's so fast and furious- a lot of people only watched it in the cinema and left with the impression that Superman knocked a bunch of buildings down

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

teagone posted:

Oh whoops, I thought it was 3AM central. Re-scheduling the CineD livestream to that day for 2AM then :getin:

The countdown is wrong then....

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

doomisland posted:

The countdown is wrong then....

Either way, I'll be hanging around after the BvS stream finishes, so if it goes live at 2AM I'll like ping everyone in the discord or something lol.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Yeah it's just annoying since I was going to be That Person and set an alarm clock

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Meant to quote this earlier, but I will be streaming this too probably, maybe immediately after ZSJL finishes... depending on how much of a zombie I am by that point. [edit] Oh it's only 30 minutes. I'm totally streaming it.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Bogus Adventure posted:

I never thought I'd see Darkseid on the silver screen.

He looks loving perfect.

I love the lava (?) pouring off of him

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

I have a story. A friend of my brother's was a driver on the film and production stopped for several days because Bryan Singer vanished to go to mardi gras. It's not creepy or anything but it is massively unprofessional. I think he pulled something similar on that Queen film he did.

This is like, a third-hand anecdote, so I don't know for sure that it's true, but apparently when one of our sister studios was doing VFX for one of the X-Men movies and Singer visited for a day, they specifically and intentionally assigned a runner to him and his entourage that was "his type".

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Robot Style posted:

This is like, a third-hand anecdote, so I don't know for sure that it's true, but apparently when one of our sister studios was doing VFX for one of the X-Men movies and Singer visited for a day, they specifically and intentionally assigned a runner to him and his entourage that was "his type".

It’s insane to me that he inspired this kind of behavior. Like, the man is no Kubrick. His movies always seemed half assed or budget to me.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

LOL at io9... they already pushed their review of ZSJL off the main page, and pinned at the top a puff piece about how deep Falcon and Winter Soldier is going to be.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

LOL at io9... they already pushed their review of ZSJL off the main page, and pinned at the top a puff piece about how deep Falcon and Winter Soldier is going to be.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

That one of the negative ones?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't think that's the oldest lie actually

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

We just finished aquaman and both burst out laughing that the"who is this man" silhouette of aquaman in the after credits button had his stringy long hair. What a movie. Loved mamoa and the human parts about brotherly love, if that was all the sequel was about I'd be in. The comic book poo poo and action was so trite, though sometimes good to look at, and it's constantly telling you what's going to happen.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 17, 2021

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Jimbot posted:

That one of the negative ones?

io9 has been super anti-Snyder but even their review couldn't fully deny that it was better, even though it tried to downplay it by claiming it's still the same movie in general and full of "hyperviolence" and will only encourage the "toxic fans" (not surprisingly io9 also had multiple articles warning about the mass shootings that the Joker movie was 100% going to unleash). The reviews comments though are full of ridiculous bullshit about how the Snyder Cut never actually existed and conspiracy frothing like that.

The fact that even they couldn't give a fully-bad review is probably why they're just trying to move past it.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
lmao "Justice League is everything you want in a modern super team-up movie: a diverse crew of well-developed heroes coming together, butting heads, cracking jokes, and kicking butt. Despite the DCEU's sputtering start, Justice League coalesces in the end, and it works in many more ways than not. It's not trying to solve all the genre's problems--and it doesn't. But as a team-up movie and a fresh jumping-off point for the DCEU, Justice League is a 100-story leap in the right direction."

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/justice-league-review-a-fresh-start/1100-6454954/

lmao "For better or worse, the superhero niche of pop culture is full of bizarre cultural artifacts, from the comics themselves to the TV and movies they inspire. Zack Snyder's Justice League--more colloquially known as "The Snyder Cut"--is just another in a long line of puzzling cape-and-cowl franchise moments. The four hour long re-cut of the 2018 box office bomb, complete with extra scenes and re-shoots will land on HBO Max on March 18 and--well, if you've ever been brave enough to ask the question "is it possible for a superhero movie to feel like watching paint dry?" This one's for you."

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/zack-snyders-justice-league-relentlessly-boring-and-endlessly-long/1900-6417648/

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think one of my favorite parts of Aquaman is the music montage out of loving nowhere when Black Manta makes his suit like ask of a sudden you're watching Iron Man

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
BATMAN

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I think one of my favorite parts of Aquaman is the music montage out of loving nowhere when Black Manta makes his suit like ask of a sudden you're watching Iron Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCT9yal72kk

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The main criticism I've seen thrown at this is that its bloated, but Snyder is throwing the kitchen sink at this, so I get why that might be and I'm still fully on board.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I don’t know if it was io9 but I read a review earlier that was complaining that WB could have used the $70 million to make a “wonderfully progressive movie” but instead chose to reward Snyder and his toxic fans.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

yo they got Batman in this movie?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Blood Boils posted:

I love the lava (?) pouring off of him

It's beautiful. I everything about it.

lol

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yea i09 was a negative review

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yea i09 was a negative review

io9 loves Age of Ultron, though

https://io9.gizmodo.com/at-last-there-s-a-movie-that-makes-the-avengers-truly-1701495432

https://io9.gizmodo.com/if-you-didnt-love-avengers-age-of-ultron-the-new-dvd-1734121192

So I'm not going to take their reviews seriously

quote:

Writer-director Joss Whedon is the kind of magician who shows you exactly how he does a trick, but manages to make it even more impressive in the process. In this case, he constructs Avengers: Age of Ultron as a series of small, intimate relationship stories. And somehow, those small, interconnected stories wind up making the heroes feel amazingly big and significant.

It’s not just the scale comparison thing, where seeing the characters in an intimate setting allows Whedon to put them up against an army of killer robots and make the latter seem bigger by comparison with the smaller — lots of action movies do that. The person-sized heroes aren’t just put against a huge backdrop — they become huge, in themselves.

It’s something about the way Whedon constructs his big action sequences, like ballet performances (he loves his ballet). Building on the lovely, fluid action dioramas in the first Avengers, where the “camera” flows from one hero to the next, Age of Ultron has some beautifully constructed battle scenes, where all the heroes get to be awesome in turn. Unlike countless other CG-froth action hero movies, Age of Ultron manages to convey scale and wholesale destruction without dehumanizing its characters in the process.

Imagine simping for Age of Ultron, lol

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Io9 has more than one writer fwiw

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Neurolimal posted:

Io9 has more than one writer fwiw

Yes and if they have one writer that super likes Age of Ultron and one writer that super likes JWJL, that just says that they have more than one person with awful taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The MoS watch-along was very good and fun. BvS will even more of a hoot!