Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really enjoyed the the block island sound on Netflix. Although I think the film did itself a disservice by explicating stating what the antagonist was. I would have preferred to speculate about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Halloween Jack posted:

There has never been a good superhero crossover with either franchise either.

Ragnarok. :colbert:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Hollismason posted:

I actually recently rewatched all of the Alien films and I will go to bat for Alien : Ressurection because its such a goofy weird movie.

As a kid I loved it, still kinda do. and The Predator is one hell of a good comedy

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

AvP: R is so visually dark I suspect because they were trying to play the same notes as the original Alien where you can't get quite a bead on what the thing is. In that original film, it makes the effects work all the more effective, making the monster feel like an extension of the darkness and void of space. In AvP: R a similar technique is attempted, but as a sledgehammer as opposed to a scalpel, obscuring the artifice of the costumes but also obscuring visual interest and poetry equating to a frustrating experience watching it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was dark due to bad post production work.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I'd like a Predator movie that takes place on the Predator home planet and it's just a documentary about what life is like there.

Basically What We Do in The Shadows, but with predators. Not sure that would appeal to anyone but me though.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

that post reminded me that Predators exists. wow someone must have used the MiB memory machine on me straight after I saw that

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I'd like a Predator movie that takes place on the Predator home planet and it's just a documentary about what life is like there.

Basically What We Do in The Shadows, but with predators. Not sure that would appeal to anyone but me though.

It's SF comedy, but in the Space Captain Smith novels one of the main characters is a Predator. It is later discovered when his home world is visited that all the Predators got civilised about 50 years previous and the ones who go out hunting in string vests are throwbacks. The Predator character's father is very disappointed in his son and wanted him to be an accountant.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Chris James 2 posted:

I haven't seen the 2005 remake of Amityville Horror so I can't really say for sure if my hypothesis of "there's one good Amityville film and it's the first one" is completely correct, but it's gotta be close to it if not

That time I waited years to watch Amityville The Awakening and it got released for free on Google Play (as the last film in its studio's existence) and it wasn't even worth that price

I have the Vinegar Syndrome Amityville box set (Amityville 4: The Evil Escapes, Amityville: it's About Time, Amityville: A New Generation, and The Amityville Dollhouse). None of those movies are good, and they're boring for the most part, but they're worth at least a watch.

I'd say that Amityville 4 is fun because of the lengths they go to attempting to make a lamp scary.

It's About Time was the best of the bunch in my opinion, and it's about a haunted clock.

I can't really recall much about A New Generation, except that it's a haunted mirror.

Dollhouse was definitely the worst of the bunch. When my family first got Pay Per View, my dad was going to let us pick a horror movie to watch. We were torn between Amityville Dollhouse and Curse of the Puppet Master, we went with Puppet Master, and that one was bad too. No idea if we made the right choice.

EDIT:
Per Wikipedia last year there were 4 new entries: Amityville Island, Amityville Vibrator, Witches of Amityville Academy, and The Amityville Harvest.

Iron Crowned fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Mar 17, 2021

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

I haven't seen the 2005 remake of Amityville Horror so I can't really say for sure if my hypothesis of "there's one good Amityville film and it's the first one" is completely correct, but it's gotta be close to it if not

I don't even think the first one is very good.

I kinda admire Amityville II: The Possession just for how extraordinarily tasteless it is.

Amityville: A New Generation is kinda fun for a DTV horror flick too. And I'd love to catch a 3D showing of Amityville 3D.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Amityville talk reminds me of the time I embarked on a failed quest to watch the Witchcraft movies but fell asleep a few minutes into the 2nd one. I recall someone in this thread saying they take an interesting turn deep into the franchise but I wasn’t strong enough to endure it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
I Googled this and wow, how embarrassing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Halloween Jack posted:

There has never been a good superhero crossover with either franchise either.

Stormwatch vs Aliens was decent because they actually killed several heroes. And while I don't know if you count Judge Dredd as a superhero, Dredd vs Aliens wasn't terrible.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Batman vs predator was decent. Louisville slugger ftw.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Jedit posted:

Stormwatch vs Aliens was decent because they actually killed several heroes. And while I don't know if you count Judge Dredd as a superhero, Dredd vs Aliens wasn't terrible.
It wasn't even Stormwatch vs. Aliens, it was WildCATs/Aliens! A bunch of Stormwatch characters died off-screen in another team's series. It was a gently caress-you from Warren Ellis because he didn't want to do it, but did want to move on to The Authority.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Batman vs predator was decent. Louisville slugger ftw.

Bat...man. Haha.

That crossover was good because Predator in Gotham was literally just Predator 2 all over again.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I enjoyed Batman V Aliens for what it was :shrug:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I was pretty annoyed for the first 30 minutes of I Care A Lot, then I started to really like it, then it had like 5 different endings and I was annoyed again. It’s pretty frustrating because I think there’s a really good movie in there somewhere.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I like Archie vs Predator just for the basic premise

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I like Archie vs Predator just for the basic premise

Archie vs Predator ruled

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

who won

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

who won

You, the reader

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

but i didnt make any friends along the way

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kvlt! posted:

but i didnt make any friends along the way

There's a reason for that, take a shower once in a while

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This is a big drat deal

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

How much for just the miniature J&B bottle?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You mean K& something lol.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Ah poo poo you're right :( no sale.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Now you just need an extra winter coat to put on the Keith David figure from the They Live set.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Those figures are taller than the regular neca ones. It blows and why I hate those. They’re all 8” + where’s the others are average 7” or so.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Those figures are taller than the regular neca ones. It blows and why I hate those. They’re all 8” + where’s the others are average 7” or so.

Frank figure looking at MacReady, "I thought you'd be taller."

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Carpenter told me if Childs was a Thing or not and I'll never tell. Just rubbing it in.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

I really enjoyed the the block island sound on Netflix. Although I think the film did itself a disservice by explicating stating what the antagonist was. I would have preferred to speculate about it.

Oh yeah I saw that this weekend, thought it was a lot of fun. The conclusions about the antagonist wouldn't have been too hard to draw even if they didn't explicitly call back to that line of dialogue, because I've certainly heard it stated that way before. Apparently all filmed on location (though one of the locations was LA)

Also I don't remember if they stated this in the movie, but, if you didn't grow up on the east coast (or playing Billy Joel's Downeaster Alexa on repeat because you're a weird kid who likes mournful ballads about the collapse of fisheries), Block Island Sound is the stretch of water between Block Island and the mainland. So the title is a pun. The Block Island Sound is what the victims hear over the radio, kinda like the Taos Hum.

Phy fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 17, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wouldn’t want to know anyway. That would ruin it.

Also he’s not a thing because I saw his corpse in the fun but dated video game

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ugh, turns out Richard Stanley is a real sack of poo poo. Very disappointing if not entirely surprising.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Darko posted:

Carpenter told me if Childs was a Thing or not and I'll never tell. Just rubbing it in.

You can pm me or face a 100k hour probation, imo

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

Ugh, turns out Richard Stanley is a real sack of poo poo. Very disappointing if not entirely surprising.

Yeah the victims story I read is terrifying. Hope the studio cancels his lovecraft projects

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

Goddamn it

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Hard to be surprised by that, Stanley has always been an unstable personality. I definitely had those thoughts in the back of my mind as I was buying and enjoying The Color Out of Space, like, "I'm probably gonna regret buying this at some point aren't I?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah that sucks for real, I was a big fan of his too