Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Sweet, thanks! Just started playing today, hadnt since Albion Prelude. How are you all liking Terran ships? Im still with the Kukri so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

the scout ship that goes just under 5000m a second with basic mk 1 engines is fun but hard to control since you have to break 10 km out or else you overshoot everything

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008
Enjoyed the new intro storyline but not sure where I should establish mining operations in the Terran sectors since there doesn't seem to be a system with a lot of factories and readily available minerals. The Terran M miner also appears to be significantly more expensive than the commonwealth ones.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I shoved a bunch in the oort cloud. Also the new repeat orders command let's you set up an order to mine in an area and then sell to a specific station over and over so you can make some poor man's advanced auto miners. Just choose a station in Pluto or Neptune that need like 90k silicone and set a ton of miners to repeat order mine silicon in oort and sell at that station.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The ego forums definitely have a large chud population, like for real don't look up the thread of the mod that removed all the black people from the game, it's basically just wall-to-wall #whitegenocide anxiety.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

So.. pro-s...

I started the game and tried to do the Flight tutorial. No I am just hanging in space.. What the hell I am supposed to do now and how can I get back to the tutorial guy to do the other tutorials?

Also - is there any way to rewatch what the tutorial guy is telling you (besides the hints that are logged in your journal thing)? There is lots of text and if I miss something it seems to be gone forever?

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Did they resolve their issues with this and Nvidia 30 series cards in the end?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

3 posted:

I went to the Ego forums to look at the patch notes, and man there are some totally normal people on there huh

One of the many reasons I'm not a game dev: If I had to read this poo poo, I'd immediately turn around and delete all male starts.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

The ego forums definitely have a large chud population, like for real don't look up the thread of the mod that removed all the black people from the game, it's basically just wall-to-wall #whitegenocide anxiety.

Like what the gently caress, they're in a universe with space aliens and they're still worried about skin colour? Chuds gonna chud.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
My game has a much larger amount of TER stations on the Neptune side of Sol so I'll probably start building there.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

SirTagz posted:

So.. pro-s...

I started the game and tried to do the Flight tutorial. No I am just hanging in space.. What the hell I am supposed to do now and how can I get back to the tutorial guy to do the other tutorials?

Also - is there any way to rewatch what the tutorial guy is telling you (besides the hints that are logged in your journal thing)? There is lots of text and if I miss something it seems to be gone forever?

Pretty sure you can just start tutorials whenever you want from the help menu (hit enter, it's the question mark icon at he top)

You can also just ask questions here of course. The X games are sometimes somewhat obtuse.

Drunk in Space posted:

I remember reading that Nvidia is supposed to have fixed their bug.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Nvidia thing is in a beta driver but not fully released yet.

Edit:

Egosoft really needs to explain the star rating system way better as the subreddit is full of people acting as if the game AI doesn't work when really the problem is their pilots are 0-1 stars and then they give up on the game as they think that is the pinnacle of the AI and never get to see what a proper pilot can do. It'd probably be best to make pilots get smarter earlier if they aren't going to explain the system up front.

Thom12255 fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Mar 17, 2021

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Drunk in Space posted:

Oh no I have a 3070 and was about to start playing this, what is this bug?

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Drunk in Space posted:

Not sure what exact issues you mean... but I have a 3080 and it kind of worked.. fine?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
There's a real hard to track down crash with the 3000 series cards where the game crashes with a "device removed" error. Egosoft has been working on it with nVidia. Underclocking your card slightly seems to fix it for many people but it's not a long term solution.

https://www.egosoft.com:8443/jira/browse/X4-275
https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=180&t=432893

Every time I think it's fixed I'll get a crash at a very inopportune time, haha.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i have a 3080 and didnt crash at all yesterday

im tossing an energy cell factory up right on the border of pioneer/terran space. its 180% efficiency there and like every factory from jupiter to oort cloud is buying 10s to 100s of thousands of e-cells. just a factory with like 10 e-cell producers should make a few mill an hour.

queeb fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 17, 2021

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

"Double Assistant" :laffo: Boso Ta

I didn't expect that mission chain.

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 17, 2021

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I have managed to get a 3 star pilot within 9 hours of my playthrough which is a new record.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Oh no, I do not like where Project Genesis is going.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
COH adds so much more plot content it's great. I'd say COH is a must-have for a new player. Split Vendetta is good but not as necessary. The 2018 release was clearly early access and the two DLC's are actually the completion of the vision of the game they had from the start. The devs have said they want to keep building on X4 for the foreseeable future and it's clear their engine can deal with it seeing as though they've already inserted graphical upgrades with this patch and you can just keep adding more and more content on top of the existing universe. There are still quite a few shut down gates scattered around. But they don't really seem to have a good sense of where to go from here besides their Venture multiplayer addition.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Less Fat Luke posted:

There's a real hard to track down crash with the 3000 series cards where the game crashes with a "device removed" error. Egosoft has been working on it with nVidia. Underclocking your card slightly seems to fix it for many people but it's not a long term solution.

https://www.egosoft.com:8443/jira/browse/X4-275
https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=180&t=432893

Every time I think it's fixed I'll get a crash at a very inopportune time, haha.

Yeah, that's exactly the bug I had the last time I played 2 months ago. I'd just built a new PC at the time with a 3070 in it, and unfortunately got the bug shortly after firing up the game. I couldn't really be bothered with the workaround at the time, so decided to just shelve the game for a while. Since the new expansion is out, I just thought I'd check to see if they'd made any progress with it.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Drunk in Space posted:

Yeah, that's exactly the bug I had the last time I played 2 months ago. I'd just built a new PC at the time with a 3070 in it, and unfortunately got the bug shortly after firing up the game. I couldn't really be bothered with the workaround at the time, so decided to just shelve the game for a while. Since the new expansion is out, I just thought I'd check to see if they'd made any progress with it.
They just posted on the forums that they're waiting for another driver bump from nVidia and basically hoping for a hotfix. You can use MSI Afterburner to lower your clockspeed 100mhz if you're comfortable with that to play now though!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Thom12255 posted:

I have managed to get a 3 star pilot within 9 hours of my playthrough which is a new record.

I did the genesis start and the ship boso ta sends to pick you up after you get teleported came with a 4 star pilot noice

I also find it interesting that the game mentions that the terrans have had contact with the aldrin system, but apparently got cut off again? So they apparently know about the rebirth sectors but the gates aren't reliable yet.

Thom12255 posted:

Egosoft really needs to explain the star rating system way better as the subreddit is full of people acting as if the game AI doesn't work when really the problem is their pilots are 0-1 stars and then they give up on the game as they think that is the pinnacle of the AI and never get to see what a proper pilot can do. It'd probably be best to make pilots get smarter earlier if they aren't going to explain the system up front.

Christ I know right, if you make the AI poo poo for 90% of the things the player will have contact with, then you've just made a game with 90% poo poo AI, doesn't matter if you wrote the code for it to be good if you don't give people access to it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 17, 2021

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

can you get most of the plot stuff doing the other starts? I did both terran starts but went with the lab assistant one instead. seems like there's a plot mission to pick up near the PHQ with the terran scientists at least.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Halfway on the 16 gig dl, *sweats*
its been a while since I played so yay, also, does scanning still drop blueprints or is it just emp-ing now?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

staberind posted:

Halfway on the 16 gig dl, *sweats*
its been a while since I played so yay, also, does scanning still drop blueprints or is it just emp-ing now?

You EMP the module and then scan the leaks that appear with your spacesuit. After researching the tech that allows you to get those kinds of blueprints of course.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I got one blueprint for a connector from scanning a data leak before I had the PHQ, weirdly enough.

You don't absolutely require the EMP, it's just the most reliable way to create data leaks.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

staberind posted:

I've gotten a couple of random scan blueprints in my new start, seems to still be a thing. Not really something I intend to rely on. Scanning is annoying, EMPing is easy.

Now in the process of trying to decide where to start setting up my stuff, leaning towards building my private military-industrial complex around Getsu Fune this time. I should probably not start by building in there though, it would be annoying if my first station was summarily exploded before I can afford to get beefy defenses placed at the new Xenon gate.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

im wondering if the better kill credit mod is broken. ive killed a few xenon around stations in the void and have gotten nothing, which seems weird. gonna turn it off and try again.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Some things also you cannot acquire by scanning, such as the ship production modules, because they're hella expensive and also money printers.

But as far as I know you can still get blueprints by scanning, yeah.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I love the Terran scientist start. How it ties in with a small storyline from way back is great.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

is there a mod that allows me to actually purchase the Trump Steaks, this is ridiculous

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

mining is still decent passive income. I grabbed the odysseus from faulty logic and bought a whack of miners with it since they were super cheap right at the start. parked like 5 in every faction zone and theyre doing pretty well.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you're just starting out you should head to the HOP border on the highway loop, it will be a massacre near the gate and you can scoop up all the delicious loot.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Has combat been overhauled at all in the last couple years? I remember the thing killing the game for good for me was being able to solo entire xenon fleets in my crappy frigate if I just hugged blindspots then took advantage of debris, and I've never been big on the economy building part itself except in service of making a fleet

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
The ship you get from the Hatikvah intro mission now has mk2 equipment and components + ship sold for about 900k. I guess it always did and I just don't remember it as being quite that nice; maybe because I picked it up much later and much richer last time. Anyhow, after I stripped it and the bonus scout ol' Bozo gave me for parts I could easily afford a pile of resource probes and my first few nvidia miners for a comfortable start.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Has combat been overhauled at all in the last couple years? I remember the thing killing the game for good for me was being able to solo entire xenon fleets in my crappy frigate if I just hugged blindspots then took advantage of debris, and I've never been big on the economy building part itself except in service of making a fleet

They have improved the turret tracking a lot which was a big problem early on, and if you want you can install VRO which massively changes how the weapons work and are balanced, more lethal, varied, cinematic, and longer ranged as a rule.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
Assuming I'm a novice at the X-universe, does the game have a campaign working as a tutorial (i.e No Man Sky), or does it throw players into the deep end sandbox?
I'm pretty bad at finding my own fun in games, so I'd prefer the game to set clear goals I can do. :shobon:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

OwlFancier posted:

They have improved the turret tracking a lot which was a big problem early on, and if you want you can install VRO which massively changes how the weapons work and are balanced, more lethal, varied, cinematic, and longer ranged as a rule.

Cool thanks, definitely getting coh later then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Apparently the new expansion is a lot more plot driven but the core of the game, I think is very sandboxy, there are a lot of systems in the game for you to play around with on your own initiative, especially in the economic sim aspect.