Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

My wife is the only one I talk to on a regular basis, and it's usually short communication like "I'm on my way home, do you need anything from the grocery store? Okay, text me a list."

...you should be operating on a shared notes or shared google docs grocery list by now anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

hexwren posted:

This sentence from the netiquette memo now means the opposite of what it meant.
No, it's just being more precise than you think: the people that "'grew up' with" the internet were growing up at the same time that the internet was growing up. Those people used words like "netiquette" and had to define what comprised "good behavior" on the net because there was no established convention. Previous generations grew up with TV, radio, etc. but those were one-way broadcasts; I guess some "grew up with" telephones and telegraphs and established rules for those but those were one-to-one (I think party lines were a 1970s thing?), so there wasn't a kind of public redressing when etiquette was violated.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Ham radio I think would qualify as a valid precursor to netiquette. Related, recently learned that the amateur radio community had figured out the Duga radar while some of the public was busy speculating about aliens or Soviet-related conspiracies (wonder who they voted for):

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duga_radar

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Gene Ray died in like 2015. He had another guy he worked with who was on the same crazy wavelength but he bullied him into suicide.

Yeah, it was Gene he interviewed, this would have been ~2005. Looking back he signed his emails "Cubic and wisest human" lmao.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
My parents got me a nice new printer when I first went away to college and I immediately drained the ink printing out Timecube to decorate the walls of my dorm room. I then had to print out my assignments at the library because I was too embarrassed to tell them why I needed a new ink cartridge. Can't wait to tell that story to children of the future.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
You're going to tell your children about your college rasterbation habits?

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sure there are worse stories of why people need more ink cartridges out there, dude.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Look, not everyone can carry printers, alright.

You have to be a certain size, one that lets you comfortably put your arm on top of a vending machine.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Y'all some goony rear end people. I also hate talking on the phone generally, but sometimes it's just a good way of communicating. If you're doing stuff while talking for instance, or you don't actually need to see the person you're taking to. I've spent several hours in a row on the phone chit chatting with my co-workers during the pandemic for instance, sometimes while taking a walk or something. And that's almost excluding actual work conversations. I just don't have a need to talk to everyone that way, so most of my friends I'm waiting to actually see again.

My wife also has lengthy phone conversations with family and friends. Phone calls are not dead.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I haven't talked with a friend on the phone in years.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've never liked talking on the phone something that I apperently inherited from my father. Which is good when I talk to my dad on the phone because it's never going to be more than a couple of minutes no matter what we're discussing.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

feedmyleg posted:

I haven't talked with a friend on the phone in years.

Perhaps if you had some friends.......

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

I loved this Sesame Street bit when I was a kid. Literally nothing about it is remains current in our era, except the police officer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLgF1CA56yg

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

I've never liked talking on the phone something that I apperently inherited from my father. Which is good when I talk to my dad on the phone because it's never going to be more than a couple of minutes no matter what we're discussing.

The icelandic experience summed up.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Alhazred posted:

The icelandic experience summed up.

I would be lying if I said fishing and how bountiful, or not, the sea had been lately wasn't a frequent topic of discussion.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

It's funny how smartphones and universal phone use quickly extinguished a whole lot of earlier cellphone related stuff like txt speak. People really were concerned that the whole language would degenerate 1984 style, and we'd irradiate our balls to sterility from keeping phones in our front pocket.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Jaguars! posted:

People really were concerned that the whole language would degenerate 1984 style
still not convinced it isn't happening frankly

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

When videotapes first became a thing people were worried that no one would ever read a book again because why would you when you could watch any film you wanted at any time at home?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

Completely agreed! I mean, just look at this scum not using capital letters or punctuation:

My Lovely Horse posted:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

FreudianSlippers posted:

When videotapes first became a thing people were worried that no one would ever read a book again because why would you when you could watch any film you wanted at any time at home?

I mean, this is somewhat true, people read less.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Text speak destroyed proper writing when the telegraph was invented.

Also writing things down destroyed young people's ability to learn stuff.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I talk to my parents on the phone and that's about it, and that's because my mum is and always has been a complete technophobe (which was sort of amusing when she was still a primary school teacher and expected to teach 6 year olds how to use computers).

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

BonHair posted:

Text speak destroyed proper writing when the telegraph was invented.

Also writing things down destroyed young people's ability to learn stuff.

Yeah, every time there is a new form of communication or new form of media, there is always this kind of social response/backlash.

Netflix's documentary The Social Dilemma talks about the internet and social media in the same kind of way--in a way that suggests that their negative effects on society are totally new and unprecedented. But really social media and the internet are just a more extreme version of movies/music/cable TV, and huge parts of the documentary could have been written in the 80's about cable TV, or about radio or newspapers when they first became prevalent, etc.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's a great image; there are sort of two different points here though; people not realizing that the arc of their own personal life isn't anything new isn't the same thing as recognizing that societies change.

I'm not saying you're mistaking the two, but I wanted to draw a distinction between "nobody reads anymore" and "reading (books) is declining".

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

silence_kit posted:

Yeah, every time there is a new form of communication or new form of media, there is always this kind of social response/backlash.

Netflix's documentary The Social Dilemma talks about the internet and social media in the same kind of way--in a way that suggests that their negative effects on society are totally new and unprecedented. But really social media and the internet are just a more extreme version of movies/music/cable TV, and huge parts of the documentary could have been written in the 80's about cable TV, or about radio or newspapers when they first became prevalent, etc.

There are people who were complaining about the novel when they first came out, claiming it was leading women to immorality.

And look at where we are today. WAP would have never been written if not for the novel, I tell you!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

I would be lying if I said fishing and how bountiful, or not, the sea had been lately wasn't a frequent topic of discussion.

""Hòw ìs the sèà, sòn?"
"Hàrsh ànd ùfòrgìvìng, bùt ìt ìs bòùntìfùl."
"Ì dò sò ènjòy thèsè tàlks, sòn. Lèts dò ìt àgàìn nèxt jòl."

FreudianSlippers posted:

When writing down stuff became a thing Socrates was worried that people would be incapable of remembering stuff.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 17, 2021

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

I dunno, ladies today seem much cooler and laid back

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Alhazred posted:

When writing down stuff became a thing Socrates was worried that people would be incapable of remembering stuff.

He wasn't even wrong, the building of mind palaces and the extreme feats of memory people at that time could achieve eventually faded away and stopped being a thing. It's just that it's also not that big a deal because we had things written down so we didn't need to dedicate that mental space to memory. Things shift and change that makes them different, not worse.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

He wasn't even wrong, the building of mind palaces and the extreme feats of memory people at that time could achieve eventually faded away and stopped being a thing. It's just that it's also not that big a deal because we had things written down so we didn't need to dedicate that mental space to memory. Things shift and change that makes them different, not worse.

Once you reach a certain age, different and worse become the same thing.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I just watched an episode of Mad About You where they make a videotape for their daughter on her 18th birthday, but its on tape, as an VHS VIDEOTAPE.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

People still say "tape" when they talk about recording video. I don't know anyone all that young though, so maybe it's all "record" or "unlivestream" something.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

doctorfrog posted:

People still say "tape" when they talk about recording video. I don't know anyone all that young though, so maybe it's all "record" or "unlivestream" something.

Yeah, and people called removable storage media "floppy disks" long after they hadn't been floppy for ages. I called them floppies despite never having seen an 8 inch actually-floppy disk. The 5.25 disks weren't all that floppy, and the 3.5 inch disks weren't floppy at all! I don't know why, but the transition from rectangular removable storage to round removable storage killed the "floppy".

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 17, 2021

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

the 3.5 inch disks weren't floppy at all!
They were though! No matter what they were encased in. The disk was floppy.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Captain Monkey posted:

yeah, having a nigh-infinite encyclopedia in my pocket 24/7 has ruined my trivia memorization skill the same way that living in an apartment building has ruined my not getting eaten by wolves skill. i'm okay with not spending my time on those things because it lets me do other things like make dumb posts on internet forums, which i guarantee i'm better at than some dusty rear end skeleton.

also, wap isn't even that new, it's a proud part of a time-honored tradition. here's a song from 1935:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkPCmIxv-3k

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Yeah, and people called removable storage media "floppy disks" long after they hadn't been floppy for ages. I called them floppies despite never having seen an 8 inch actually-floppy disk. The 5.25 disks weren't all that floppy, and the 3.5 inch disks weren't floppy at all! I don't know why, but the transition from rectangular removable storage to round removable storage killed the "floppy".
Save icon will be a floppy disk long after most people won't know what a floppy is.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I can learn more than Socrates knew in his entire life in 15 minutes online

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

FreudianSlippers posted:

I can learn more than Socrates knew in his entire life in 15 minutes online

And yet you don't know how to change a tire. Curious.

e: that might actually be thread relevant, because aren't modern tires a hell of a lot more robust? I've never had a flat and I drove cross-continent multiple times as a dumbass kid (ie like four years ago) without doing any maintenance at all, never until recently took the tire pressure light seriously, never in my life have a had a flat or blowout or had anyone in my family or friend group have a flat. One blowout among them on a 20+ year old piece of poo poo.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 17, 2021

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Socrates wouldn't even know what a tyre is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

And yet you don't know how to change a tire. Curious.

e: that might actually be thread relevant, because aren't modern tires a hell of a lot more robust? I've never had a flat and I drove cross-continent multiple times as a dumbass kid (ie like four years ago) without doing any maintenance at all, never until recently took the tire pressure light seriously, never in my life have a had a flat or blowout or had anyone in my family or friend group have a flat. One blowout among them on a 20+ year old piece of poo poo.

that sounds about right. i know how to change a tire, but i've only ever done it like twice in a not-learning-how setting, and neither were emergency situations, just a slow overnight leak. most people i know that can't change a tire probably could if they tried, they just haven't had to since they learned 20 years ago.

but in the end they are still following the socratic method of changing a tire, which is not changing a tire at all (except that unlike socrates they know what a tire is)