Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

qirex posted:

That's pretty slick. It's kind of a shame Apple will never make a television because it seems like they have standing solutions to a lot of the problems TVs have.

IIRC, aren't a lot of TV's sold on razor thin margins? That would definitely make them not want to get into that game.

edit: I know for myself that if they made a TV where 'everything worked' like MacOS and iOS, I'd be down for it, but I feel it would be a niche product for most consumers, even people who may already use iPhones and MacBooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

TVs are super thin margin, hard to ship and have lots of returns and service issues. If Apple made a TV it would definitely cost over $200 more than its competitors so selling a box for $200 that they can fit 20x the units in a shipping container is probably a better strategy. Imagine someone trying to get a 65" TV up a mall escalator to return it to their local apple store.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah I don’t see the point of making the panels if they already have the Apple TV.

Every modern smart TVs can turn on directly to whatever input the Apple TV is on. I haven’t touched my Sony remote in months.

Edit: I’m probably the outlier where the Apple TV is the only device I have plugged into the TV, no other inputs

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah the closest to a literal appletv panel I could see happening is if they partnered with like LG or Samsung to put tvos on some of their high end OLEDs, which would frankly be pretty cool. But Apple hasn’t really done something like that since the Motorola ROKR line, which I wouldn’t call a huge success for Apple (though who knows, it probably got a ton of ppl bought in to the iTunes ecosystem).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

Edit: I’m probably the outlier where the Apple TV is the only device I have plugged into the TV, no other inputs

I was like this for a while and also scratched my head at complaints about HDMI-CEC.

But now I’ve also got a Switch and it fucks up occasionally. (Also not helped by the Switch not turning everything off when it sleeps. loving Nintendo)

Mahoning posted:

Yeah the closest to a literal appletv panel I could see happening is if they partnered with like LG or Samsung to put tvos on some of their high end OLEDs, which would frankly be pretty cool. But Apple hasn’t really done something like that since the Motorola ROKR line, which I wouldn’t call a huge success for Apple (though who knows, it probably got a ton of ppl bought in to the iTunes ecosystem).

I mean, they’re halfway there with Airplay 2 integration with some vendors. HomeKit support as well on some models.

But that’d require the hardware maker to license tvOS from Apple which 1) Apple would never allow and 2) as mentioned, hardware margins are thin as is.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

FCKGW posted:

Every modern smart TVs can turn on directly to whatever input the Apple TV is on. I haven’t touched my Sony remote in months.

Same, except the other way around with the remote. Perhaps mute button technology will finally be ready by Gen 6...

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

It's really stupid that Android TV doesn't have an iOS remote app, at least not a first party one.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Is there a smart way to keep people from activating our Apple TV by accident? We share our WiFi with our neighbors and they have an Apple TV too and despite having very clear names sometimes they throw me out of PlayStation games by accidentally clicking ours. So far I’ve just unplugged the Apple TV hdmi plug when I play but that leads to us forgetting to plug it back in before using the Apple TV again and spending several minutes troubleshooting what’s wrong until we remember :v:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Sharing wifi with your neighbors seems destined for disaster. Whoever pays for the internet should banish the other to the guest network.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

American McGay posted:

Sharing wifi with your neighbors seems destined for disaster. Whoever pays for the internet should banish the other to the guest network.

Counterpoint: this is really good and cool but you should really restrict access with a firewall between their IP range and yours or a VLAN or something.

The guest network is also good but I’d be worried about how well their ATV would work on that.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah they’re not really tech savvy (hence the accidental launching of our Apple TV) so I’m not worried about them loving with our data on our devices. Everything’s firewalled anyway (as in you can’t access data on devices on the same network) and they can’t get past the code input screen on our Apple TV.

Maybe splitting the wireless networks is something to consider. I was hoping for a “don’t let new devices access the Apple TV” setting or something but that would gently caress with having visitors (once the roni blows over) stream their stuff to our TV anyway. Hm.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Zwille posted:

Yeah they’re not really tech savvy (hence the accidental launching of our Apple TV) so I’m not worried about them loving with our data on our devices. Everything’s firewalled anyway (as in you can’t access data on devices on the same network) and they can’t get past the code input screen on our Apple TV.

Maybe splitting the wireless networks is something to consider. I was hoping for a “don’t let new devices access the Apple TV” setting or something but that would gently caress with having visitors (once the roni blows over) stream their stuff to our TV anyway. Hm.

Why not just buy a second wifi router, and you each use your own username / password ?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah that’s probably the sensible solution, come to think of it. Thanks!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh my god, just announce a new ATV already. I've got a new TV waiting and I'm sick of using the stock apps.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Oh my god, just announce a new ATV already. I've got a new TV waiting and I'm sick of using the stock apps.

What does the current one not do that a new one would?
Or is it just not wanting to buy a 4 year old device when a new one is around the corner if you could the last 2 years of rumors as one giant corner

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Or is it just not wanting to buy a 4 year old device when a new one is around the corner if you could the last 2 years of rumors as one giant corner

Yep.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'd imagine if you were even remotely interested in Apple Arcade you'd be wise to hold out for a new model. I'm not though and have been loving the heck out of my 4K.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah I have a 4K as well and completely give no shits about gaming on it, but would rather be one generation away from obsolescence at this point. Seeing apps being pulled from previous gens makes me just want to wait it out. I don’t need one right now, so I can wait. Just vocalizing my slight impatience after all the rumors :v:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm a dumbass and will likely get a new one should it come out but also my 4K is fine.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I’ve got an increasingly less functional 2nd gen and I don’t want to spend $200+ on a device that’s immediately obsoleted by a new box that does more for the same price. I’ll probably just get a Roku tho.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I'm a dumbass and will likely get a new one should it come out but also my 4K is fine.

I just want to chime in and me that I too, in general, am a dumbass.

That’s all I got.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, I just don't want to buy an "old" Apple device when a new one may come out. Mainly for future software updates.

Plus I'd like to retire my third gen to the basement.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
I just want a remote that doesn’t suck but also doesn’t need line of sight.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Cozmosis posted:

I just want a remote that doesn’t suck but also doesn’t need line of sight.

If you win the HDMI-CEC lottery and it works for you, that could be a decent compromise. When my older 1080p non-smart TV got retired to the bedroom, I was surprised to find that its own remote could control the Apple TV. I still need line of sight to the TV itself, but the ATV can remain tucked completely out of view.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
After many years ATV is not my main driver anymore (it has been moved to my bedroom) since I got the LG CX with its Wiimote like smart remote (I am shocked how well it works) for my main TV. This might be first version I don’t buy, but I hope they give me a reason to buy it.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

FCKGW posted:

4K60 on YouTube would be nice, HDMI 2.1 when people start streaming 4K120/8K60 content

Call it the Apple TV 8K and they're done for 5 years mininium

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Honestly, what upgrades really need new hardware nowadays? I guess newer HDMI standards need new chips? Audio stuff is all software now I imagine.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

smackfu posted:

Honestly, what upgrades really need new hardware nowadays? I guess newer HDMI standards need new chips? Audio stuff is all software now I imagine.

Probably the 3 or 4 people who use Apple Arcade would appreciate a beefier CPU.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Give me an AppleTV stick FFS

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

Need ? Probably nothing. Just put a newer Apple chip in it and I would upgrade my TV 4 that is def starting to be a bit slower.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
A more efficient chip would also allow them to remove the fan. No moving parts is a good thing and it makes it more energy efficient.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I'd personally like an updated Apple TV with a faster CPU and maybe a better remote (lol)

no, I don't use Apple Arcade

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m really thinking of just saying gently caress it and buying a 4K box. I’ve had a 4k tv for over a year and really, reaaally need to watch these 4k extended lotrs before the wait to do so with a new 4k Apple TV melts my soul. Plus I’m sure if I do the new one will drop immediately.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Apple sells refurbs for $150 if that takes a bit of the sting out of it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

qirex posted:

Apple sells refurbs for $150 if that takes a bit of the sting out of it.

I just did a slickdeals check and $150 is the cheapest you’ll find one.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m really thinking of just saying gently caress it and buying a 4K box. I’ve had a 4k tv for over a year and really, reaaally need to watch these 4k extended lotrs before the wait to do so with a new 4k Apple TV melts my soul. Plus I’m sure if I do the new one will drop immediately.

Thanks for taking one for the team buddy :haw::hf::sigh:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Proteus Jones posted:

Probably the 3 or 4 people who use Apple Arcade would appreciate a beefier CPU.

Hi, this is me.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

teagone posted:

Hi, this is me.

No joke post: Is it worth it? What kind of games are on there.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Proteus Jones posted:

No joke post: Is it worth it? What kind of games are on there.

Zork, breakout, super breakout. photoshop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My phone keeps bugging me to activate my arcade free trial. I haven’t bothered.

*plays 70th season of retro bowl*