Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Midjack posted:

Awful 5.4, iOS 14.3

Occasionally when returning to control panel from a thread via the back arrow button, the thread i was just reading will have its title replaced with “The Something Awful Forums”. This persists until I go to another thread and back out. I haven’t seen it happen twice in a row yet. I didn’t notice it until after the most recent app update.

Midjack posted:

More info on this one! It seems to consistently happen when the last post in the thread is by a user on my ignore list and I have clicked on the ignored post to read it, then return to the forum or bookmark list. The thread I was just reading will have the title changed.

Still more on this one, I hope I don't sound like I'm harping but I keep discovering more about it that hopefully helps you find the bug. The ignored user's post just has to be read anywhere on the page, not just the last post. Also, when going back the hyphen in the thread name did something weird. The first image is before reading the "SecFuck M/T v18.6 - cat5e doctrine "thread third from top:

Here it is displaying as "cat5e doctrine - The Something Awful Forums" after reading an ignored user's post and returning to the bookmarks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Is there anyway we can get the option to save videos that are imbedded? Such as,

Cythereal posted:

What a change it is, having a moderator who has a sense of humor about the purpose of the thread and doesn't resent the thread's existence.

Kitten tax. Has sound.

https://i.imgur.com/gDjhEYQ.mp4

Long press brings up copy url and it would be awesome to save it so I can send it from my camera roll.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

MarcusSA posted:

Is there anyway we can get the option to save videos that are imbedded? Such as,

Long press brings up copy url and it would be awesome to save it so I can send it from my camera roll.

I’ve created a branch that’s not pretty, but it works. Will try to improve it before submitting a PR tho

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

commie kong posted:

I’ve created a branch that’s not pretty, but it works. Will try to improve it before submitting a PR tho

You guys are amazing!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Since the subject of saving stuff came up, did the option to save images somehow get removed at some point? I know it was present in the past, and I had basically the same options as shown in this post from 2019, but for a while now it’s been missing for me:

The "Save Image" or "Save to Photos" isn't anywhere on there, or in the Edit Actions button. Is there something in the settings (Be it for AwfulApp or the phone itself) I need to switch to get that option again? I'm using an iPhone 8 with the most recent iOS and app updates.

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 5, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

fartknocker posted:

Since the subject of saving stuff came up, did the option to save images somehow get removed at some point? I know it was present in the past, but for a while now I’ve noticed it’s missing:

I just tried it and it’s there for me :shrug:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Heh, you responded while I was editing my post to include the quote of you answering the same question for someone else from a few years ago.

Anyway, I did some playing around and it was in the phone settings itself. Somehow, the Awful setting for photos had been changed to "Add Only", switching it back to "All Photos" brought the save option back, in case anyone else ever has the same issue. :)

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

I was able to reproduce the missing Save thing by going into “Screen Time”, Content and Privacy Restrictions, Photos and changing the setting for Awful in that list

Maybe try that?

Edit: never mind lol

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I wonder if it's because we normally only request permissions when selecting an image to include in a post...

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

carry on then posted:

I wonder if it's because we normally only request permissions when selecting an image to include in a post...

Nah, it does prompt for permission the first time you save images from posts. You're right tho, I don't see any explicit requests or checks for permission except for the Imgur stuff. We have a plist entry for it... Maybe that's enough?

I added a check in the Save Video thing I did earlier because I'm currently doing Noob101 training :v:

I recently finished reading the project.log thread. Makes me sad I missed the heyday of development interest, but it was cool to see everything take shape. Spanky's throbbers and icons are defining and I've always admired them :)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

What’s the over under on getting a commented out ascii penis in the app code somewhere?

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Adding a branch where ur posts are replaced with ascii penises for every app user except you :evilbuddy:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Sounds like a improvement to me. Be sure to add variable veiny-ness so it’s not just a static schlong. Gotta keep it fresh.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

commie kong posted:

I recently finished reading the project.log thread. Makes me sad I missed the heyday of development interest, but it was cool to see everything take shape. Spanky's throbbers and icons are defining and I've always admired them :)

I still look at these icons every day and think of things I could potentially change but they're such small tweaks I'd need a good reason to commit to doing them. That said, thanks!

The main outstanding development for Awful in my view is still the way the menu overlays pop up. Rather than hovering in the bubbles they'd work much better in a bottom of screen list with icons. I can't code though so all I can offer is another nag post. I'd probs look at tweaking icons once they were in this new context too.

Also, if anyone ever has ideas for new Awful home screen icons I'd be happy to give em a go.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Warbird posted:

What’s the over under on getting a commented out ascii penis in the app code somewhere?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

spanky the dolphin posted:

I still look at these icons every day and think of things I could potentially change but they're such small tweaks I'd need a good reason to commit to doing them. That said, thanks!

The main outstanding development for Awful in my view is still the way the menu overlays pop up. Rather than hovering in the bubbles they'd work much better in a bottom of screen list with icons. I can't code though so all I can offer is another nag post. I'd probs look at tweaking icons once they were in this new context too.

Also, if anyone ever has ideas for new Awful home screen icons I'd be happy to give em a go.

I need to look into using standard context menus, we'd probably have less jank that way

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

I did a Mac Catalyst build for fun. Wonder how pokeyman would feel about supporting an entire new range of devices? :v:

P.S. Midjack, I’m sorry. I was testing your issue and yep, it exists. Couldn't find an "unignore" option in the app haha

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I already use the app on my M1 Mac and it’s great.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Oh interesting. I had to change a few things to get it to build and not crash when I entered settings. I did enable "Optimize interface for Mac" tho, so maybe that's why

It is pretty cool :)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

commie kong posted:

I did a Mac Catalyst build for fun. Wonder how pokeyman would feel about supporting an entire new range of devices? :v:

P.S. Midjack, I’m sorry. I was testing your issue and yep, it exists. Couldn't find an "unignore" option in the app haha

:cheerdoge: thanks for looking into it!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Just got this app to go with my new phone. It’s great! Wanted to say thanks for all your hard work on it so far.

16-bit RDRAM
May 31, 2020

by angerbeet
Bug report

Mostly only seems to happen on fast threads.
1. Go to the last page of the thread, where a post quotes another post on the last page
2. Tap on the "xyz posted:" or subforum equivalent at the top of the quote

Expected: scroll to post or push another VC pre-scrolled to the post
Observed: if there has been a new post added to the current (last) page, the user will see the new posts instead of the desired one

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Small request: add [timg] as an option when posting images.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Can we have a button or something to in ignore someone, please.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kerbtree posted:

Can we have a button or something to in ignore someone, please.

What do you mean?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Tapping the ignore button should log you out imo

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Tapping the ignore button should log you out imo

I can make the post button do that for you

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

carry on then posted:

I will never log out!!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

carry on then posted:

lol

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I assume they meant unignore and got autocorrected.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Yes, sorry, I’m a pro smeller today. Would it be possible to have ignore be a toggle or something?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I got a weird one: my apostrophes are disappearing. They’ll show up fine in the reply and preview windows and I can see other people’s apostrophes, but mine are nowhere to be found.

E: working now apparently? It didn’t work in another thread about five minutes ago. Weird

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

theflyingexecutive posted:

I got a weird one: my apostrophes are disappearing. They’ll show up fine in the reply and preview windows and I can see other people’s apostrophes, but mine are nowhere to be found.

E: working now apparently? It didn’t work in another thread about five minutes ago. Weird

I’ve had that happen with quotation marks as well.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Do you have "smart punctuation" enables in the keyboard settings? That'll convert " and ' into some fancier equivalents which just end up looking dumb, especially in yospos. I think it got so bad that the forums software or the app started filtering/converting them?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I got auto-banned last week for posting a thread using a mod only tag.
Pretty loving dumb thing to do of me, I know.
Thankfully, Jeffrey took pity on me and un-banned me.

In my defense, when you post on the site, the left column always mentions the forbidden demon fruit tags.
The iOS app doesn't have a left column and I hosed up.
Or maybe it does have something similar and I didn't notice.

This has been the most traumatic experience of my life;

Thanks for reading.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I went to the lepers colony to see the lowtax perma and when I clicked the YouTube link I get a pop up with “post not found”

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

deedee megadoodoo posted:

I went to the lepers colony to see the lowtax perma and when I clicked the YouTube link I get a pop up with “post not found”

Yeah the leper's colony still doesn't embed youtube videos or have working hyperlinks.

You're getting "post not found" because you don't have archives, I'm guessing.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

It'll take a complete rewrite of the lepers colony to get those working. I keep waiting for someone to break the leper's colony on the site by embedding an entire webapp in a ban reason or something.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Here's an idea I just had, no idea of the implementation or if it's possible.

What if you could look through your awful image cache - like it'd present a grid of the jpegs and gifs (excluding avatars) stored on your device. I often think of an image I saw in the app that I want to share later but it's like finding a needle in a haystack. I was imagining an interface like in the messages app when you hit the info button on a contact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

spanky the dolphin posted:

Here's an idea I just had, no idea of the implementation or if it's possible.

What if you could look through your awful image cache - like it'd present a grid of the jpegs and gifs (excluding avatars) stored on your device. I often think of an image I saw in the app that I want to share later but it's like finding a needle in a haystack. I was imagining an interface like in the messages app when you hit the info button on a contact.

pokeyman will have to answer because I'm too much of an idiot at Core Data to think of it as anything other than a ball of data, but I don't recall seeing images stored directly so my money's on it being a larger-ish feature. Not really any helpful, sorry, but maybe this will get someone's gears turning...