Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

MMF Freeway posted:

I mean its only good if they don't exist on armor either. Also I like WEX conceptually, just needs a numbers tweak imo

They still exist on armor and probably charms. Sorry to disappoint you. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The charm grind will be real, friends.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'm not even anti-damage meta but like why remove the decos if you're going to keep the skills around, just means it pushes people towards one armor set.

e: or yeah charm rng

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i just want them to get rid of damage skills so then i can easily convince my dumb gamer brain to start using silly situational skills instead

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

MMF Freeway posted:

I'm not even anti-damage meta but like why remove the decos if you're going to keep the skills around, just means it pushes people towards one armor set.

e: or yeah charm rng

I mean, in a lot of cases people are already more or less pushed to one set especially endgame. There are some edge cases yeah, but it feels like pre-fatalis it was a lot of 3pc Teo or Silver Rath/Narca for edge case elemental/bowgun builds, and then maybe a utility set for Wide Range free meal increased recovery people.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Despair has come for us all...

https://twitter.com/AsteriskAmpers1/status/1372196634654834691

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

In one of the other tweets they listed WEX and Critical Boost skills as something you get on the lovely armor made from the generic monsters you find around the map. That seems like a more interesting trade off if you have to use real garbage armor to get any points in them.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
While the charm grind is annoying, I think I prefer it over deco grind because getting a godcharm feels great. It also means Athena's rear end is back on the menu.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

IG users what does this mean?

https://twitter.com/AsteriskAmpers1/status/1372187805653274626

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

gently caress yes.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I wish deco RNG wasn’t this bad, capcom! Please fix it!

Capcom: OK! :getin:

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
i hope we can only mine them from rocks

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

Triple Up Time was the best Kinsect special to get in 4U, basically doubled the time that you had your triple essence buff.
Dual color boost I'm not sure about
Fast Charging Kinsect you can hold down the buttons to fire off the kinsect and it'll shoot out like a cannonball (I thought this was still in World/GU)

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I vastly preferred the old system so this is great :stoked:

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

i hope we can only mine them from rocks

It looks like they pretty much only come from melding, but you can pick a skill to give a slightly higher chance of getting that skill on the charm.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
First draft of new OP, feedback/corrections requested.

Welcome to our humble megathread, hunter! You've arrived just in time, as it seems the local fauna is agitated—by something—and threatening our peaceful existence. Can't have that!

If you don't mind, could you spend some time out in the field reminding those beasts who's boss? Anything you can gather, or carve off them, is your to keep and use as you see fit. 

Good luck, and join the Discord!

https://discord.com/invite/010TYZtEGCse1UZ57

Monster Hunter is a long-running series of action games. They were considered "beloved cult games" (ie, big in japan) for many years, but with the release of Monster Hunter: World in 2018, the series' popularity exploded. 

Through many generations of games, the core gameplay loop has changed very little. Essentially you fight a monster, harvest its bits, use those bits to make stronger weapons and armor, then fight meaner monsters. The monster lineups change, the skill systems change, the minutiae of weapons change, but for the most part you are still killing things to get stronger to kill bigger things.

This sounds like a few other games, why is this series special?

Monster Hunter has two big legs up on its action-adventure-RPG type competitors.

First, the weapon system is unrivaled in its depth and its variety. We'll do a bit on weapons below, but if you've ever enjoyed an action game, there's a weapon here that will make you feel like superman. There will be a few you totally bounce off, as well, but that's OK! The game has an abundance of options, and rarely does one become the "gotta do it this way meta choice."

Second, the actual main characters of the game are the monsters themselves. This isn't the type of game where your anime stand-in has a lot of conversations about saving the world between beating up nondescript lumps of pixels. This is the type of game where the monsters get nicknames that last for years and years, the type of game where you become friends with your enemy. They spend 95% of the personality budget on making the monsters the endearing stars of the show. 

Basically,

Your Computer posted:

one thing that would be nice to mention in an OP, tho i'm not quite sure how to get it across well, is just how dang charming the games are

before i got into monhun i used to think it was some sort of edgy grimdark fantasy but it's actually really lighthearted and fun cat pun times, which goes a long way to make the games enjoyable in the long run

the game is a lot more this:

https://i.imgur.com/31tS558.mp4

than you may be thinking.

MH features 14 weapons, each different from one another, and different in little ways from previous versions of themselves. These bad boys have been iterated into near perfection over the past 2 decades.

Let's go over them in very rough order of ease of use as decided by me just now, starting with the simplest. After Rise is going properly, I'll update these to include video links!

Melee Weapons

Dual Blade—You make lots of little numbers pop up really fast and have a few important combo loops to remember. You manage your stamina bar to maximize uptime on a buff that makes your DB hit fast.

Hammer—Bonk. You have several distinct ways of bonking, some requiring more commitment than others. You want to bonk monsters in the head because bonks make monsters fall over, and that's good for everybody.

Great Sword—The biggest numbers, at some risk. You have a big sword, and you can charge it up to make real big problems happen. GS rewards an intimate understanding of where the monster is going to be in the very near future.

Lance—Terminally misunderstood, lance looks and initially feels like a lump of lead. It is, however, the MOST mobile weapon. You have the best block in the game, the most mobility, and a near infinite toolbox of ways to poke things to death.

Sword and Shield—Has "shield" in the name, but SnS is not actually a defensive/blocking weapon, as your shield functions more as a boxing glove. Instead, you are highly mobile, focusing on fast and fluid combos. You are also the only weapon that can use items with its weapon drawn.

Long Sword—You charge up your sword to different colors, then work to stay the correct color for as long as possible. LS has a reputation, largely just from being by far the most popular weapon online.

Switch Axe—You swap back and forth between sword mode and axe mode, sometimes latching onto monsters and doing some big explosion type things. SA is probably the simplest of what I consider the "complex" weapons.

Hunting Horn—HH is considered the "support" weapon, because you are the bard. Your attacks are notes that play songs that buff the entire party. Every game handles horn differently, and it has grown less complex with each iteration.

Gunlance—You are a lance that's also a shotgun. GL comes in different shell types, but unlike the other weapons that require reloading, GL is not a ranged weapon. Looks like a lance, but the two are very different and there isn't a lot of playstyle crossover.

Insect Glaive—You are a manic pole vaulter with a little bug friend. Your bug sucks juice out of the monster, bringing you back buffs. If you get all the right buffs, you get extra flippy. IG is the classic "checkbox" weapon, step 1 is to check all your boxes, step 2 is to get buck wild.

Charge Blade—Widely considered the most complex weapon, CB has you going on a real journey of checkboxes. But when all those checkboxes are checked, you also get to go buck wild. The subject of the most, "how in the heck do I play this weapon?" posts. I'll even reserve a little spot here for someone to explain it:

grieving for Gandalf posted:

The Charge Blade is a sword-and-shield combo that can recombine to become a two-handed greataxe. However, getting the most out of the Charge Blade involves building up energy in the form of Vials with your sword and charging your shield/axehead so that you can do explosive damage with your greataxe.

Thanks g4G!

Ranged Weapons

Light Bowgun—The ranged weapons are their own category because they require you bring your own ammo, and be prepared to craft it in the field if necessary. The more-mobile of the two bowguns, think of LBG as a dodge-rolling field rifle. The trick here is, each gun has its own types of ammo it's allowed to shoot. Fire element guns can't shoot ice ammo. This fire gun can shoot piercing ammo, but THIS fire gun can shoot sticky ammo. You get it.

Heavy Bowgun—HBG is the same deal but slower, often with a shield, and more about setting up like a mortar nest for big numbers.

Bow—Uses coatings rather than ammo. Bow is a more combo-oriented ranged weapon, and often gets played at closer range than the bowguns. Some even consider newer versions of bow to be more of a melee weapon in playstyle.

There are three mainline games currently playable on the current-gen of consoles. All of these games will be discussed in this thread, and there are dozens of regulars with hundreds of hours each in them. Don't be shy.

Monster Hunter: Rise
Nintendo Switch March 26, PC 2022
The newest mainline game, Rise combines a lot of quality-of-life upgrades people loved about World with an older-school aesthetic. The newest game in the series and the first proper new-gen MH game on the Switch, folks are very excited for the series to return to a handheld after the explosion in popularity and QoL from World.

Monster Hunter: World, Iceborne
Playstation, Xbox, PC
The biggest game in the series (in terms of sales) and its major expansion, Capcom took the opportunity to rethink nearly every sacred cow of the series up to that point to make a game that went down as smoothly to a general audience as possible. They very successfully walked a tightrope of pleasing longtime fans and appealing to new ones, filing off just the right rough edges.

Monster Hunter: Generations Ultimate
Nintendo Switch
The biggest game in the series (in terms of content). GenU was the swan song of pre-World MH. If you would like to go back and experience the series with those rough edges intact, this is the best way to do so. If you miss (or just want to experience) the days of breaking gathering tools, paintballs, egg-carrying, etc, this is the game for you.

What weapon should I play? What is easiest?
This will vary a LOT on personal preference and prior experience. My advice is to pick among one of the easier weapons (DB, LS, Hammer, SnS, Lance) and start killing stuff. Play until you hit a fight that gives you some pushback, then start experimenting with the others. 

BUT, don't be ashamed to fall in love! There are plenty of people who played Lance in 3U on the Wii and never looked back. In practice you'll likely end up with a "main" you'll lean on for progression, 3-4 that you're less comfortable with but enjoy a lot, and 6-10 you never touch.

How does armor work? What skills are good
In Rise and World, every piece of equipment comes with a few points in a few skills, and every point in a skill rewards you with a little boost. There are certain "breakpoints" in skills that reward a greater boost. In GenU and older games, you need to reach point thresholds to turn skills on at all. 

Skills break down largely as being either defensive (guard, dodge, resistance), offensive (crit, damage, status), or comfort (earplugs, foraging, cooking). Most high-level players (ie, speedrunners) will focus entirely on the offensive skills because their skill allows them to basically never take damage. So if you're copying builds from speedrunners and dying a lot, maybe rethink that! YOUR fastest times may not come from meta DPS builds, and it's not like you have anyone to impress by not taking skills that make fights more comfortable.

How is the community?
The MH community is surprisingly great! There are wikis that get regular updates, databases going back to the Wii games, and YouTubers who devote themselves to explaining every little nuance of each weapon and monster. This thread is a great resource and the veterans are happy to help. We know the series can be a lot to take in all at once, because we all had our forehead-slap moments. I played 100 hours of 3U without knowing you could eat meals. I spent many hours cooking steaks outside the village because I didn't know a better way to boost my stamina. Wow, I was dumb! So believe me when I say, there are no dumb Monster Hunter questions.

Do I need to figure out voice chat? Tell me about online etiquette.
Not really, no. The game is simple enough and 99% of fights come down to everyone basically doing their own thing and trying to stay out of each other's way. There isn't friendly fire, in terms of damage, but there IS friendly fire in terms of tripping, launching, and interrupting your online pals. This is where the LS gets its ... reputation. A lot of LS's moves are wide, sweeping slashes that tend to trip every person in an immediate area. So be aware of yourself and everyone will be happy.

So the two big rules of online are: 1) know which moves of yours will annoy your pals, then only use them when you are sure you're not about to interfere with someone else, and 2) know your role in the hunt. If you are the hammer, you get to attack the head because hammers hitting heads makes monsters fall over. If you are a bladed weapon, focus on tails because tails fall off and everyone gets an extra carve. So Mr Dual Blade, leave the head to the hammer and horn. That's basically it for online.

Go and hunt!

Huxley fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 21, 2021

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

Triple Up Time was the best Kinsect special to get in 4U, basically doubled the time that you had your triple essence buff.
Fast Charging Kinsect you can hold down the buttons to fire off the kinsect and it'll shoot out like a cannonball (I thought this was still in World/GU)

Dual color boost i believe your kinsect grabs two colored essences at once

Charge kinsect was in GU but was pretty useless. It was not in world/IB.

There is also a kinsect type that leaves dust clouds behind so I guess not all kinsects do that now

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
make sure to include the discord link in the op!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

For anyone wanting to take a peak at decos in the game

https://twitter.com/AsteriskAmpers1/status/1372191798123229184

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Gunlance is one word. Other than that and the discord link seems like a good OP to start.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Discord added at the top, GL typo fixed.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
You can probably scrap the Frontier weapons/Medium bowgun icons since those weapons technically don't exist anymore.

Other than that and the already mentioned Discord link, looks good. Probably have a second post in reserve for links to general gameplay/weapon guides.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Great OP. Maybe add a section for the weapon tutorial vids since those r very helpful to new players

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

No elemental damage up decos really suggests that the damage of your attacks is decided by the weapon itself (and possibly built-in armor skills? Are they the same as the deco list?), and deco are for defense/utility.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
OP Is very good. Great job!

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Great OP. Maybe add a section for the weapon tutorial vids since those r very helpful to new players

This is a great idea.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Both Arekkz and Gaijin are going to have a ton of good videos. Gaijin won’t have any of them at launch as he is choosing to play the game with his daughter and doesn’t want a head start.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

Holy poo poo I'm gonna glaive it up so hard in Rise

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

tote up a bags posted:

No elemental damage up decos really suggests that the damage of your attacks is decided by the weapon itself (and possibly built-in armor skills? Are they the same as the deco list?), and deco are for defense/utility.

elemental damage up decos are listed there.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Incredible looking OP, Huxley :golfclap:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
one thing that would be nice to mention in an OP, tho i'm not quite sure how to get it across well, is just how dang charming the games are

before i got into monhun i used to think it was some sort of edgy grimdark fantasy but it's actually really lighthearted and fun cat pun times, which goes a long way to make the games enjoyable in the long run

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Also add a link to the best weapon guides.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDnRMnDDjAzK3uOpcNSowUGVx4OBpsgya

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Your Computer posted:

A "SO TASTY!" video would get that across quite well I think.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Your Computer posted:

I was sold on Monster Hunter World after the first time I went to get a meal before a hunt. :3

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Your Computer posted:

https://i.imgur.com/31tS558.mp4

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Have they mentioned how multiplayer is going to work? World was great insofar as dropping in and out and such, but I know Nintendo is typically hell-bent on making online experiences as dumb as possible (Animal Crossing feels particularly egregious)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Imagine not picking grandma cat lmao you fool

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Updates made.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Saxophone posted:

Have they mentioned how multiplayer is going to work? World was great insofar as dropping in and out and such, but I know Nintendo is typically hell-bent on making online experiences as dumb as possible (Animal Crossing feels particularly egregious)

ya. The gathering hub lets everyone be in it at once, similar to the old games I guess. There's a split between single player and multiplayer quests, but the multiplayer ones can also be soloed if needed. There is also some kind of SOS system as well, I believe. There are still some unknown details, but it should be a pretty smooth experience.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

Saxophone posted:

Multiplayer is Drop In/Out, and the difficulty changes to how many people are in the quest, just like World, I believe.

Only difference is that Offline/Online quests are once again separated, so hopefully that makes getting in quests together in the early game alot less of a hassle than it was in World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Saxophone posted:

SOS is already confirmed. The only real "downgrade" from World to Rise is that a hub can only have 4 people in it at a time versus 16.