Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Internet Wizard posted:

CoD’s huge size has a synergistic effect with Sony’s history of extremely bad software/OS design to make this kind of problem crop up every generation. The PS3 era it was re-downloading most of the game just to install patches.

as someone whose spent more time than i care to say doing jailbreaks on ps3/vita this 10000000%

who doesnt love fat32 in 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
Holy poo poo, any remotely modern game does not like only 4 cores and no hyperthreading. I just swapped out my old i5 4690k for a ryzen 5600x and even still using my lowly gtx 970 it's a huge difference. I only tested Hitman 2 and Arms 3 so far, but hitman went from like ~50fps to ~85 and arma from 40 to 120. Was not expecting that big a jump.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ZombieApostate posted:

Holy poo poo, any remotely modern game does not like only 4 cores and no hyperthreading. I just swapped out my old i5 4690k for a ryzen 5600x and even still using my lowly gtx 970 it's a huge difference. I only tested Hitman 2 and Arms 3 so far, but hitman went from like ~50fps to ~85 and arma from 40 to 120. Was not expecting that big a jump.

Yeah old i5's haven't really been acceptable for quite some time. There's a reason new i5s are 6 core 12 threads. The Ryzen 5600x stock actually beats all the poo poo available from intel right now, it's kinda wild how badly intel is on the back foot right now.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

orange juche posted:

Yeah old i5's haven't really been acceptable for quite some time. There's a reason new i5s are 6 core 12 threads. The Ryzen 5600x stock actually beats all the poo poo available from intel right now, it's kinda wild how badly intel is on the back foot right now.

Yeah, that's why I snagged one, heh. I just don't remember ever running into territory where I was so severely CPU bottlenecked before. I was hoping I'd get a few FPS boost and it would be a building block to upgrading my GPU later. It's been so much better than I anticipated.

I've been waiting for a 5600 non-X, but there's no sign of that appearing any time soon and getting a 3600 instead seemed shortsighted. This ought to hold me for a good long while, at least.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ZombieApostate posted:

Yeah, that's why I snagged one, heh. I just don't remember ever running into territory where I was so severely CPU bottlenecked before. I was hoping I'd get a few FPS boost and it would be a building block to upgrading my GPU later. It's been so much better than I anticipated.

I've been waiting for a 5600 non-X, but there's no sign of that appearing any time soon and getting a 3600 instead seemed shortsighted. This ought to hold me for a good long while, at least.

Even in single thread power the 5600x is about 1.6 times as powerful as your old cpu, without even taking 4 core and up performance into account. Intel kinda ignored improving performance and just kept reselling the same CPU with a little better clocks for a long time because AMD wasn't even close to competitive.

You should be good for the current ps5/xbox generation though, since they use the Ryzen 7 3700 with the clocks bumped down a bit for thermal reasons.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Looking at getting a Switch, how big of a memory card do I need to pick up with it? The siren song of Breath of the Wild is too much :cry:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I would say at least 256gb which is like what, 40 bucks? But if you see a good deal on a 512gb or 1tb why not? Just do a quick googling to make sure that micro SD is fast enough for the Switch

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Google how much it'll read first. And if there's a list of known good ones. Not all cards are created equally.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Already ordered a Switch and a card, and the card is the Sandisk with a Nintendo logo on it. That should be good enough, right? :v:

Aside from Breath of the Wild, Smash Bros, and Mario Kart, what should I pick up? I heard Super Mario: Odyssey from Discord, anything else beyond that?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
There's a lot of Switch games that are good just depends on what you're into. Link's Awakening is a very good remake, Fire Emblem Three Houses is a good strategy RPG, Animal Crossing if you wanna catch bugs and fish fish, etc

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Odyssey is really good. I'm playing the new 3D World remake since I never had a WiiU and it's fun so far.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

half the fun of the switch is going through the eshop and grabbing poo poo you missed from previous generations. Make use of the wish list, and keep an eye out for sales on 3rd party games

first part poo poo rarely goes on sale, but wal-mart has $10 off physical games everyday for switch for some reason, so if you can deal with carts thats def a way to save some cash

switch online is worth it too, just for tetris 99. its free when you subscribe.

the doom ports are all fantastic btw and have WAD support for a ton of cool packs. Diablo 3 on switch is great for playing while watching a show, and clubhouse games is great if you want something to play with the kids or spouse.

switch is easily the best thing nintendo's done since the snes so yeah just go through the eshop and find cool poo poo. devs figured out it prints money and ported so much good stuff to it that it's rediculous to consider its also a handheld.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

also word of advice, try and use the official nintendo ac charger when possible. It's not a problem these days but nintendo kinda said gently caress it and did their own thing w/r/t usb-c charging standards. I still wouldnt use a 3rd party switch dock based on all the bricks from when it first came out.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Looks like Nintendo is running a Mario sale tomorrow, March 10th...aka MAR10, or Mario Day, as it were :dadjoke:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I forgot how much poo poo is broken in Fallout New Vegas. I have to look up poo poo before taking companions places or they'll glitch the gently caress out and wander off or get stuck, like ED-E and most of the vaults.

I'm working on getting power armor but the glitches are making this a very annoying task.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

https://youtu.be/kwAg53yq9uE

New DOOM DLC drops tomorrow. I found the first one to be too tough and a slog in the Blood Swamps so I may just drop the difficulty down and enjoy my gory Saturday morning cartoons.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I've been waiting to pick up the season pass for it but this might push me to grab it. Heard a rumor that a horde mode might be coming as well :getin:

Anyone else play Deep Rock Galactic? I bought it like two years ago, found it to be no fun solo (it was in beta still so I think matchmaking was meh and solo play was much harder) and gave up on it only to get sucked right in when some friends bought it. It's pretty awesome.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://youtu.be/kwAg53yq9uE

New DOOM DLC drops tomorrow. I found the first one to be too tough and a slog in the Blood Swamps so I may just drop the difficulty down and enjoy my gory Saturday morning cartoons.

Game looks great, but yeah part one of the DLC was hard

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Handsome Ralph posted:

I've been waiting to pick up the season pass for it but this might push me to grab it. Heard a rumor that a horde mode might be coming as well :getin:

Anyone else play Deep Rock Galactic? I bought it like two years ago, found it to be no fun solo (it was in beta still so I think matchmaking was meh and solo play was much harder) and gave up on it only to get sucked right in when some friends bought it. It's pretty awesome.

Game rules, I've been playing since it first dropped on Steam. Tuesday night is now reserved for trying to pickaxe dreadnoughts to death, and other shenanigans. I stick to playing with friends, because even though the matchmaking has gotten better over time, the quality of randos hasn't, and solo still kind of sucks. Which reminds me, I need to start getting comfortable with the engineer, it's the only class I haven't touched yet.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Time Crisis Actor posted:

Game looks great, but yeah part one of the DLC was hard

Holy christ was it a kick in the pants after the base campaign. I made it through UV and Nightmare on the base campaign, and couldn’t even hack it on UV through the first part of the DLC. They threw a ton of bullshit at you, but conquering it felt like a real accomplishment. I don’t recall if I even finished it or not.

The RIP AND TEAR is clearly not done, so I guess I’ve got to go complete it :getin:

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I forgot how much poo poo is broken in Fallout New Vegas. I have to look up poo poo before taking companions places or they'll glitch the gently caress out and wander off or get stuck, like ED-E and most of the vaults.

I'm working on getting power armor but the glitches are making this a very annoying task.

It’s a great game but it really shows that they only had 18 months to make it.

And it really REALLY shows that they should’ve taken the 24 months Bethesda offered instead of negotiating less time to complete for reasons???

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Eh, I just need to remember to leave my companions at home unless I really need them. That's the bulk of the problems I'm encountering. I also vaguely remember that the more time you put into a save, the more likely it is to crash, so I'm spreading out across 5 or so saves. Other than that, having a blast. And frequently leaving ED-E places only to realize he wasn't following me about 15 minutes later.

I just wish they'd spend a month fixing obvious problems, but bethesda.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

There are mods that can fix pretty much any of those issues, especially the save bloat and crashes. Using multiple save files won’t really do much for you to prevent the issues from cropping up other than giving you more options when you need to try to backtrack to a file that doesn’t have the crash in it yet.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, none of that really exists for the xbone ported 360 version, so it's multiple saves or bust.

I realize playing it on a console is probably the worst way to play it, and my 3 year old laptop would probably be more than powerful enough to run it. I apparently like learning the same lessons over and over.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Suntan Boy posted:

Game rules, I've been playing since it first dropped on Steam. Tuesday night is now reserved for trying to pickaxe dreadnoughts to death, and other shenanigans. I stick to playing with friends, because even though the matchmaking has gotten better over time, the quality of randos hasn't, and solo still kind of sucks. Which reminds me, I need to start getting comfortable with the engineer, it's the only class I haven't touched yet.

Engineer's my favorite class. I still want to unlock the M1 look a like for the scout but engineer is just solid fun with his shotgun and grenade launcher.

I finally promoted the other day and I'm just waiting for my other friends to promote their classes so we can do deep dives. But if they don't get it done by this weekend, I'm gonna roll the dice on a pubbie server. Which, oddly enough, pubbies in this game aren't nearly as bad as I expected them to be. It's actually really tight most of the time when you roll with randos.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah, none of that really exists for the xbone ported 360 version, so it's multiple saves or bust.

I realize playing it on a console is probably the worst way to play it, and my 3 year old laptop would probably be more than powerful enough to run it. I apparently like learning the same lessons over and over.

It’s better than trying to play the PlayStation version, I guess. I played in on the 360 first so I feel your pain.

And yes your 3 year old laptop is more than powerful enough to play a 10 year old game.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's the paying for it again part I really don't want to deal with. It's on gamepass pretty much forever now that Microsoft bought Bethesda. Can't play the Miami mod on xbone though, and that had me really curious years ago.

I've just been leaving it on in the background of the xbone while I do other things and when I jump back in, I skip the 360 load screen, which is where it hang-crashes most for me. Leaving companions off for vaults helps a lot, too. I'm level 25 and just steamrolling legion while I scrape up locations and side missions to finish.

It's nice playing it again, though. I remember sinking so much time into this last decade, but the details are foggy as hell and I was on a different live account.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
Every time I buy a new game I get about half way through and go back to Overwatch/WoW like an abusive relationship.

Then I play until I get to platinum/AOTC and repeat. I have done this for like 10 years now and have no plans or ability to change. Anyone else still playing?

Also, fries and a frosty to dip them in pls

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I started replaying The Ancient Gods Part I on the easiest difficulty so I could at least get the story before I start Part II. Being able to beat every fight without even trying much (I 100%’d Doom Eternal on UV) has really let me be a content tourist and appreciate the super awesome environments and level design. There’s a lot of fine detail and cool stuff that you might otherwise miss when you have an Archvile breathing down your neck.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I miss everything when an Archvile is breathing down my neck, including all of my shots :rimshot:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Sacrist65 posted:

Every time I buy a new game I get about half way through and go back to Overwatch/WoW like an abusive relationship.

Then I play until I get to platinum/AOTC and repeat. I have done this for like 10 years now and have no plans or ability to change. Anyone else still playing?

Also, fries and a frosty to dip them in pls

No on Overwatch but WoW classic is my "Hmmm, nothing else really seems to be grabbing me at the moment. Guess I'll go play that for a bit".

My wife still plays OW daily though. Honestly surprised it's managed to hold her for this long but I think having a solid group of people to play with helps.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Handsome Ralph posted:

My wife still plays OW daily though. Honestly surprised it's managed to hold her for this long but I think having a solid group of people to play with helps.

I just played OW for the first time in 3-4 years the other day and had a blast, it's one of those games that's great when you have people to enjoy/suffer with but brutal when you're losing because of pubs alone.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Cage Kicker posted:

I just played OW for the first time in 3-4 years the other day and had a blast, it's one of those games that's great when you have people to enjoy/suffer with but brutal when you're losing because of pubs alone.

Rocket leagur is the same way. Sometimes you just click with your teammates and its amazing. Sometimes you don't and can't understand why. This is especially true if you play tank.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Handsome Ralph posted:

It's a good with a dedicated group of friends, but there's not a whole lot of replay value IMO.

My friends tend to latch onto a game and play that as their sole game for a while (even on single player) so often times they'll be a way higher level than me which makes the games not fun. That's not a problem in this because while you can level up your character and weapons and what not, you won't feel like a little baby tagging along while your higher level buds kill everything.

Ashmole fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 23, 2021

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
GOTY 21

https://twitter.com/WritNelson/status/1375085607995736067

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Not interested unless it has ferry mode

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Not interested unless it has ferry mode
Spaceships are cosmic ferries, in a sense. :shrug:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

loving Guardians killed my horse in botw :cry:

Completely unrelated note, what’s the best weapon to use when fighting them? 😇

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Guardian weapons. Electric weapons I think can stun them, but also dropping poo poo on them also works well too.

But shields were cool when I could pilot it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyUZB-9IgCM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I go ham on them with the Master Sword, too. It doubles its power when its near Guardians.