Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

nah it comes with a virus that dissolves your old retinas and grows new ones in their place.

and it'll only cost ya 20 menthol kools

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I have a fever lol.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I WKNDER WHAT THE CYRE ID??!? :ironicat:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

spankmeister posted:

But that's because they contain the machinery to process food and grow themselves. Viruses don't, they are obligate parasites. Virus particles are their "seeds" but are quite different.

You say it's without merit, but it's just an interesting thing to think and reason about. That is merit enough.

dunno

I'm no virologist or biologist (obviously) but how would that have worked?

Sorry for making jokes on a comedy forum.

oh good grief you're not being attacked, it's just that people make similar arguments about humans as machinery and expect to be taken seriously

but to your question about nonlife: i wasn't an evolutionary biologist but it's not unreasonable to think that og viruses may have at one point been possessed of a prototypical cell or some other similar, self-regulating environment but lost it over time, maybe as the nucleic acids within were transferred to another cell

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Roosevelt posted:

you live in a hole in the ground that has a sauna and a pet reindeer

idk I live above the ground and have no sauna or pet reindeer his thing sounds better

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mediaphage posted:

may have been alive once before, but dropped back into non-life.

i can relate to this

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

my stepdads beer posted:

idk I live above the ground and have no sauna or pet reindeer his thing sounds better

i always wanted an underground house but it seems hard to make ones that dont leak

Midjack posted:

i can relate to this

so same

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
just live somewhere dry and you don't need to worry about it leaking water, just radon gas

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

we are moving to a smaller office as the boss, who was super anti work from home, has realised everyone did as much work or more during covid. hell yeah. more lunch options.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

fart simpson posted:

hmm. i don’t know op sorry. all of those questions are outside of my expertise

what kind of software engineer are you

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
replaced a busted part on my camera (that i broke in the first place). only ended up with three parts left over and i only got shocked by the capacitor once. camera even works (for now!)

:c00lbert:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
hell yeah, grats

i had to demagnetize a solenoid in my really nice dslr a while back and it was really cool and fun but also harrowing because i was pretty sure i was going to break everything

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i love fixing things. it makes me happier than probably anything else

yesterday i fixed my shower door so it doesn't squeak or leak water from the bottom or make me worry that it's going to explode from misalignment when i move it around. nice.

glass shower doors still loving suck though and idk why they exist

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

It's so you can press ur titties against them op. can't do that with a shower curtain

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

PokeJoe posted:

It's so you can press ur titties against them op. can't do that with a shower curtain

pfft just do this with your picture window while your partner walks from her car to the front door

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

PokeJoe posted:

:nws:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXq6VGjUEDc

it's from the kentucky fried movie

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

yesterday i fixed my shower door so it doesn't squeak or leak water from the bottom or make me worry that it's going to explode from misalignment when i move it around. nice.

glass shower doors, particularly modern frameless and semi-frameless, are nice and easy to clean

whoever invented these can go to hell though:

designer: "what if a shower door that didn't keep the water in, cold air out or do anything that a shower door is supposed to do?"
architect: "brilliant! we'll take 1000 for our new hotel!"

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
wet room style walk-in showers loving slap but only rich people have room for one

(not to be confused with euro style wet rooms which are similar but much smaller)

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I fixed my truck today! Turns out it was a battery problem after all and might need a new one soonish.

Easy fix and just a matter of charging and reinstalling it but dang it I fixed a truck today, feelin’ manly as heck. Heck!!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cold on a Cob posted:

wet room style walk-in showers loving slap but only rich people have room for one

(not to be confused with euro style wet rooms which are similar but much smaller)

i had one of those in my apartment in china. it had an electric outlet inside on the far wall and if you pointed the shower head all the way up it would spray on it.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

i had one of those in my apartment in china. it had an electric outlet inside on the far wall and if you pointed the shower head all the way up it would spray on it.

i got to try one in a house in mexico that my employers owned for visiting employees to stay in. it was bigger than my apartment bedroom at the time, lol

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
found out the toilet in the master at my new house has a bidet nozzle thing. joining the club :mrgw:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

every room is a wet room if you're sweaty enough

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

found out the toilet in the master at my new house has a bidet nozzle thing. joining the club :mrgw:

We bought an integrated one for Christmas it's pretty cool.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tired: bidet integrated into you're bog

Wired: bidet integrated into you're bum

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
It has motion sensors so when you open the water closet door the seat opens and when you're done you just get up and walk away and it with flush in a few seconds.

It's pretty cool except I'm afraid of getting into a habit of just walking away from toilets so I flush it anyways.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Corla Plankun posted:

hell yeah, grats

i had to demagnetize a solenoid in my really nice dslr a while back and it was really cool and fun but also harrowing because i was pretty sure i was going to break everything

woah. how’d it get magnetized in the first place? never heard of that happening to a camera before.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

tk posted:

It has motion sensors so when you open the water closet door the seat opens and when you're done you just get up and walk away and it with flush in a few seconds.

It's pretty cool except I'm afraid of getting into a habit of just walking away from toilets so I flush it anyways.

Just get up and walk away while putting sunglasses on, that's how I roll

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

tk posted:

what luxury

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Sagebrush posted:

the frames *always* leak and get crusty bits on them even when new. it's ridiculous.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

got pfizer 5g jab number one, I think specifically because I was nice on the phone when the walgreens reservation system melted down

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

qirex posted:

got pfizer 5g jab number one, I think specifically because I was nice on the phone when the walgreens reservation system melted down

Has it gotten annoying hearing Bill Gates droning on in the back of your mind about kneeling before the new world order yet? I get pretty irritated by repetitive noises so it's the thing I'm most worried about.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

shoeberto posted:

Has it gotten annoying hearing Bill Gates droning on in the back of your mind about kneeling before the new world order yet? I get pretty irritated by repetitive noises so it's the thing I'm most worried about.

my hearing damage drowns most of it out, thanks tinnitus!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
WHAT?!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The_Franz posted:

glass shower doors, particularly modern frameless and semi-frameless, are nice and easy to clean

whoever invented these can go to hell though:

designer: "what if a shower door that didn't keep the water in, cold air out or do anything that a shower door is supposed to do?"
architect: "brilliant! we'll take 1000 for our new hotel!"

I have a cast iron tub from 1893 with a wrap around curtain, OP.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I have a cast iron tub from 1893 with a wrap around curtain, OP.

How often do you season it?

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I want a nice old claw foot tub at some point. The logistics of getting one into the bathroom sound fraught though.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

good rear end acoustics on the claw foots

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yeah acoustics are important when your literally wallowing in your own poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

yeah they are jerry. you wouldn't want your farts to be heard at anything less than their best