Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

NewFatMike posted:

Ambrose, was it you who was planning on that CAD thread?

literally been keeping a low profile from this thread b/c its been languishing on my to-do list, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
HOLY poo poo YOU GUYS IT WORKED

I measured it out and made a model, meshed, sliced, and printed it and everything miraculously fit the first time.

The screw hole was just right. Thanks, Sagebrush, your advice was spot on!

Here's what it looks like when it's put in the right side up and connected to the hinge.

https://i.imgur.com/nGZ0n7N.mp4
I've had this g-dang desk for 8 years and I broke the hinge on the first day by screwing the bracket in upside down. Since then I've tried holding the door together with duct tape and I even looked on the Ikea website for replacement parts (and was stonewalled by their customer service). Now it finally swings properly and doesn't catch on the bottom edge. Let's hope this one lasts a long time. :slick: This is the most useful thing I've done in six months. I'm blown away at how well it works. I'm gonna go around the house and 3d print all kinds of unnecessary poo poo :black101:

Also I tried printing the legos again after cleaning the sheet. I think the adhesion was slightly better because the curling wasn't as bad, but it was still enough to cause the pieces to detach early. I made the bottom of the bracket completely filled in, hoping that it wouldn't come off the sheet but as you can see in these pictures it still did.

I'd rather not use the gluestick so I ordered a smooth sheet and it should be here in a week or so.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
A brim can help with edge adhesion in the meantime.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cory Parsnipson posted:

This is the most useful thing I've done in six months. I'm blown away at how well it works.

Nice! Looks good. Fixing things is the best feeling in the world IMO.

And if it breaks again, who cares because you still have the file and will until the end of time and can just print another one in half an hour!

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I was pretty excited when I designed replacement stakes for my low voltage landscape lighting.

The originals were made out of some sort of plastic that just fell apart after a year or so in the ground. I couldn't find anywhere to buy them, and such things are not standardized.
So I set down with calipers, my last remaining original stake, and Fusion 360. After watching some basic tutorial videos I was able to recreate the stakes and even improve the design (at least IMHO). I also modified the design to be able to print easily without supports.

The PLA+ printed stakes have already lasted longer in the ground than the originals. All 16 of my lights are using my printed replacements.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Cory Parsnipson posted:

I'd rather not use the gluestick so I ordered a smooth sheet and it should be here in a week or so.

So, you'd skip the instant $2 solution and spend $40 and wait a week?
I mean, I got a pretty well sorted printer, but first hint of adhesion problems, I'm smearing that gluestick on and then address the underlying issue once I have lull in printing.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Cory Parsnipson posted:

I measured it out and made a model, meshed, sliced, and printed it and everything miraculously fit the first time.

It's a :boom: feeling when this happens, nice

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
That success post made me think that I should design a chain guard for my bike asap. Only a matter of time before I ruin my trousers.

Brims solved all adhesion issues on small parts in PLA for me. TPU is the only one that likes to "curl" it seems, but that was a for a big box thing. The octopus I printed came out near perfect.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Instant, but messy :goleft:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ambrose Burnside posted:

literally been keeping a low profile from this thread b/c its been languishing on my to-do list, lmao

Ha! If you just want to put something drafty out there, it'll at least be a good place to point folks for discussion even if the OP isn't a full wiki like some threads.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

I mean, I got a pretty well sorted printer, but first hint of adhesion problems, I'm smearing that gluestick on and then address the underlying issue once I have lull in printing.

It's clean I don't wanna put a gluestick on it :saddowns:

I was going to try and print PETG eventually so I thought I'd use the smooth one for PLA and the textured one for PETG.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Gluestick washes off near instantly with hot water and soap. It's the easiest and simplest solution and will not harm your print surface one bit.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Oh. Hmmm. How often are you supposed to reapply it?

Also if I decide to alternate printing PLA and PETG should I wash the sheet off before I put PETG on it? e. seems like I use glue for PETG too

Cory Parsnipson fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 17, 2021

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Gluestick washes off near instantly with hot water and soap. It's the easiest and simplest solution and will not harm your print surface one bit.

Hell I don't even use soap and water...

This: https://www.amazon.com/Sprayway-Glass-Cleaner-15-Ounce/dp/B07K1ZD36P Works great for cleaning off Elmers gluestick. I keep it and a roll of paper towels by the printer at all times.

But I am a bit "old fashioned" in a way, as I still print on glass, not any of these new fangled print surfaces.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cory Parsnipson posted:

HOLY poo poo YOU GUYS IT WORKED

Awesome, congrats!

The Eyes Have It posted:

Stealing that to name my next sex tape

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

stevewm posted:

I was pretty excited when I designed replacement stakes for my low voltage landscape lighting.

The originals were made out of some sort of plastic that just fell apart after a year or so in the ground. I couldn't find anywhere to buy them, and such things are not standardized.
So I set down with calipers, my last remaining original stake, and Fusion 360. After watching some basic tutorial videos I was able to recreate the stakes and even improve the design (at least IMHO). I also modified the design to be able to print easily without supports.

The PLA+ printed stakes have already lasted longer in the ground than the originals. All 16 of my lights are using my printed replacements.

OMG that's a great idea. My wife will be so happy if I fixed and redeployed the pile of solar lights that we keep around for spare parts.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

What's the best upgrade path for the ender 3 buoldplate of I want to do Petg?

Right now I have the heated glass bed, but obviously printing on that directly is a bad move. Do I get a buildtak flexible sheet or something like that?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

w00tmonger posted:

What's the best upgrade path for the ender 3 buoldplate of I want to do Petg?

Right now I have the heated glass bed, but obviously printing on that directly is a bad move. Do I get a buildtak flexible sheet or something like that?

I'm not sure what the best is for petg, but I've had good luck with regular flat glass and a lot of glue stick. PETG can be kind of a pain in the rear end but a thicker than normal spread of glue seems to help it stick and stay but also release later. I have also read that blue painter's tape is good for PETG but haven't tried it myself. Matterhackers suggests those as well as PEI or even buildtak:
https://www.matterhackers.com/news/how-to-succeed-when-printing-with-petg-filament#D1

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Eyes Have It posted:

I also used to be recalcitrant about using glue. I considered it messy and had the attitude that well the printer should work without it so I will continue to stubbornly try to make it work.

Later I got totally sick of messing with the machines and having prints fail so now I just put glue down any time I'm concerned about the print geometry or anything. With the magnetic build plates it's trivial to wash the glue off if you need to. It's water-soluble.

Cory Parsnipson posted:

Oh. Hmmm. How often are you supposed to reapply it?

Also if I decide to alternate printing PLA and PETG should I wash the sheet off before I put PETG on it? e. seems like I use glue for PETG too

Sometimes taking a print off the bed will peel the glue away with it. You can touch up those spots with the glue stick before the next print. If I were using glue for every print, I'd reapply it when it quit working or when it started to look scummy. Maybe every 10 jobs or so.

PEI + PLA + glue provides more adhesion than a bare bed. The glue acts as a glue to keep the part stuck.

PEI + PETG + glue provides less adhesion than a bare bed. The glue acts as a separation layer to prevent the print from bonding too strongly.

You decide whether you need to use the glue in either situation based on the amount of adhesion you're getting.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Thanks! Well, I guess I'll just try everything and see what works for me.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Petition to have someone design a gluestick head for the prusa XL tool changer when that comes out, and custom gcode that applies it only on the bed where the print will be.

Knocked out some washer/spacers for a free IKEA armchair my wife picked up, drew them in tinkercad, sliced and printed during a conference call. I love living in the future sometimes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What is the stock surface that comes with an Ender 3, incidentally? Is it PEI? Smooth or textured?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sagebrush posted:

What is the stock surface that comes with an Ender 3, incidentally? Is it PEI? Smooth or textured?

It depends what version you get. My basic Ender 3 had a kind of thick soft buildtak surface that was a bit weird. It was soft enough that it would pull up on corners and I'd get warped prints due to the surface lifting up off the bed since the binder clips weren't enough. I'm not sure if they come with that now on any model, but I believe the Ender 3 v2 has the creality textured glass surface which has some stuff on it (supposedly Carborundum which is silicon carbide) that holds PLA down well as long as it's clean. I bought that for mine and liked it so much I got the CR-10 sized one for my Sunlu S8 as well. The Ender 3 Pro has a magnetic sheet but I haven't used it myself. The surface looks like its textured.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

cakesmith handyman posted:

Knocked out some washer/spacers for a free IKEA armchair my wife picked up, drew them in tinkercad, sliced and printed during a conference call. I love living in the future sometimes.

Nice :hfive:

Ikea Repair Team ASSEMBLE

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

cakesmith handyman posted:

Petition to have someone design a gluestick head for the prusa XL tool changer when that comes out, and custom gcode that applies it only on the bed where the print will be.

That's pretty loving smart, not gonna lie. Especially if you're going to do PC and other stuff.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Cory Parsnipson posted:

Thanks! Well, I guess I'll just try everything and see what works for me.

The big thing is that you're really going to regret it if you do a long print and have it pop loose or warp at hour twenty or something. I never have adhesion issues and I still smear glue all over my bed for any print that's longer than a few hours. It's just not worth the pain.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

NewFatMike posted:

Ha! If you just want to put something drafty out there, it'll at least be a good place to point folks for discussion even if the OP isn't a full wiki like some threads.

yeah i keep trying to at least do a decent intro paragraph or overview but idk what'd be useful as an intro point, also i cant really write a comprehensive anything b/c i only know my little mechanical CAD world. gently caress it, i can make the bad-form empty OP thread now and then populate it with effortposts from the thread over time, gimme a sec

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
yeah ok it's done
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3962532
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
BIG CAD THREAD, ALL THE CAD CONTENT, EVENTUALLY, CHECK IT OUT

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I just used BedWeld for the first time after many many many spools of ABS over the past few years. I've been trying to really keep the edges flat, and aside from the normal temperature tuning in my enclosure I've also done dozens and dozens of test prints with aquanet or abs slurry on glass but nothing was perfect. Last night I printed a big heavy abs print that failed every previous attempt to stay flat with bedweld for the first time and it is insanely perfectly flat at every corner, and released itself from the bed once cool.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Can anyone with a Prusa (this is an MK2) tell me if the sort of knocking sound it's making in this clip is normal? I'm getting what seems to be some under-extrusion, but if I slow it down it goes away so wondering if the extruder is having trouble keeping up?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eRZXoNdQZj3Him5FA

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, that sounds like the extruder skipping steps to me. Lightly grab the filament close to the inlet while it's printing, or rest a finger on the extruder body, and you'll probably be able to feel the clicks.

That happens because, in order of likelihood:

- the extrusion temperature is set wrong (or the wrong material is loaded)
- the nozzle is partly clogged
- the thermistor is broken
- the extruder stepper driver is overheating
- the extruder motor or heater block are broken.

Double check all the temperatures and then consider replacing the nozzle, imo.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, that sounds like the extruder skipping steps to me. Lightly grab the filament close to the inlet while it's printing, or rest a finger on the extruder body, and you'll probably be able to feel the clicks.

That happens because, in order of likelihood:

- the extrusion temperature is set wrong (or the wrong material is loaded)
- the nozzle is partly clogged
- the thermistor is broken
- the extruder stepper driver is overheating
- the extruder motor or heater block are broken.

Double check all the temperatures and then consider replacing the nozzle, imo.

I tried cranking the temp up a little after I posted, and that seemed to clear the visible problem, but still getting the sound some. Couldn't really feel the clicks, and the filament doesn't visibly move like I'd seen in a few videos of the problem. I ordered some nozzles just to try that. Thanks!

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
I’ve had really good luck with PLA and a PEI sheet on piece of glass on my ender 3. Am I not supposed to be having good results?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Boner Wad posted:

I’ve had really good luck with PLA and a PEI sheet on piece of glass on my ender 3. Am I not supposed to be having good results?

PLA will print on just about anything.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Seems like the appropriate page, anyone know of a good website or artist to find some relics or artifacts from anything paranormal to lovecraftian?

Just looking for some cool stuff for the shelf.

:devil:

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Seems like the appropriate page, anyone know of a good website or artist to find some relics or artifacts from anything paranormal to lovecraftian?

Just looking for some cool stuff for the shelf.

:devil:

A bunch of museums have high-resolution 3d scans of various artifacts, one of my first prints was a to-scale copy of an ancient Sumerian roller seal that was used to sign and tamper-proof private cuneiform clay ‘letters’. don’t remember where I found that one but Googling “museum 3d scan free” or w/e should get you plenty

if you want more macabre, the NIH has a free 3d model repository (https://3dprint.nih.gov/ ) that includes historical medical curiosities and things of note(Phineas Gage’s perforated skull, anybody?) as well as lots of modern educational scans of Remarkable Injuries and Improbable Teratomas and so on

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Boner Wad posted:

I was having lots of warping issues on my E3 with the magnetic bed. At first I reduced the bed temp and it helped a bit but I later replaced it with glass and now everything comes out perfect.

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 18, 2021

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

pbpancho posted:

I tried cranking the temp up a little after I posted, and that seemed to clear the visible problem, but still getting the sound some. Couldn't really feel the clicks, and the filament doesn't visibly move like I'd seen in a few videos of the problem. I ordered some nozzles just to try that. Thanks!

How is your z adjustment? You can also get clogs if the nozzle is too low but not so low that it impacts. That means the filament can back up over time and start causing the clicking.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

pbpancho posted:

When was your last cold pull?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Doctor Zero posted:

How is your z adjustment? You can also get clogs if the nozzle is too low but not so low that it impacts. That means the filament can back up over time and start causing the clicking.

I've got that pretty dialed in by slowing the print down, otherwise the underextrusion was making it tough.

NewFatMike posted:

When was your last cold pull?

Haven't done one. Just bought this used last week. Will give it a shot though!