Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Karloff posted:

I enjoyed Batman V Aliens for what it was :shrug:

Batman/Aliens sounds like the dumbest thing ever, but then you see the art and you're like "oh shiiiiit".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Batman/Aliens sounds like the dumbest thing ever, but then you see the art and you're like "oh shiiiiit".

Bernie Wrightson can do no wrong (otherwise he'd be called Bernie Wrongson)

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Y’all remember Batman: Dead End? Lol that blew my loving mind as a 13 year old.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Y’all remember Batman: Dead End? Lol that blew my loving mind as a 13 year old.

Lol same

MarsPearl
Feb 19, 2021
The Cryptid convo a while back made me think about what some cool mytho/crypto-logical creatures are that would be great in a horror movie but haven't really been used much or at all. I'd personally love something to use the Nuckelavee, which is basically the world's most hosed up cyclops/centaur that poisons the ground it walks on.

Seriously look at this thing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Can I just say people who try to draw a connection between Alan Moore's work deconstructing superhero comics and the creative dead end the genre has been largely rolling around in for 30 years are and have always been full of it.

It's like blaming Kurt Cobain for the state of pop music.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Ugh, turns out Richard Stanley is a real sack of poo poo. Very disappointing if not entirely surprising.

Jesus christ. gently caress this guy so utterly and entirely. That was loving terrifying.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

As Above, So Below... soft 3 and a 1/2 stars. Just kinda meanders into the ending and I was expecting something big to happen too.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

dorium posted:

As Above, So Below... soft 3 and a 1/2 stars. Just kinda meanders into the ending and I was expecting something big to happen too.

You could say that the last act isn't necessarily the movie's strong point, but I feel like it more than makes up for that in the second act where things are just getting worse and worse and they keep escalating. It's one of those movies that had me talking to the screen saying "no no don't go down there, no no no this is a bad idea!!"

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I really liked that glimpse of the weird cult you see in that movie.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Basebf555 posted:

You could say that the last act isn't necessarily the movie's strong point, but I feel like it more than makes up for that in the second act where things are just getting worse and worse and they keep escalating. It's one of those movies that had me talking to the screen saying "no no don't go down there, no no no this is a bad idea!!"

It has a good environmental tension to it (and one if they didnt get right, would just be a waste of digital film), but I just kept hoping for that turn in the movie I didnt expect to happen. Dunno, I think the people I saw hyping it up maybe did it too much. It's alright for a watch, but i dont see myself going back to it.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

dorium posted:

If that's the one I'm thinking about isn't it where the group descends through various rooms and things are all spooky or whatever with each room and then going in to the end it starts getting really hectic and eventually the woman is just running back and forth through all those previous rooms and at one point a demon jumps out at her and she just punches the drat thing and keeps going?

I remember being kind of annoyed about it when I watched it but typing it out just now it sounds kinda funny and cool written out. Maybe the execution was off or something.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Franchescanado posted:

gently caress it, let's do this:

Aliens
Alien
AVP
Prometheus
Alien3 Assembly Cut
Alien Covenant
Alien Resurrection
AVP:R
Alien3 Theatrical Cut*

Not necessarily "Which is best", but absolutely the order in which I have a desire to rewatch them.

*The ONLY thing I prefer about the Theatrical cut is the Dog getting facehugged.

You and I have the exact same ranking. The only difference is that I have never seen the Assembly cut, and have no desire to because how much I dislike the Theatrical cut.

I used to be a staunch "Alien is better than Aliens" dude, but this recent rewatch changed my opinion.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I remember disliking As Above So Below in theaters, particularly due to the ending, but maybe that's just because at the time I really wasn't used to horror films getting Happy endings and it's probably something I'd appreciate a lot more these days on a rewatch

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

My issue with As Above So Below was that the last act really leaned into boring shaky cam jump scare stuff when it had done such a good job of building eerie tension up to terror, to that point. I think it's a 6, 7 out of 10.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Alien
Prometheus
Alien 3
Everything else

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

Ugh, turns out Richard Stanley is a real sack of poo poo. Very disappointing if not entirely surprising.

wow gently caress this guy. really disappointing and i hope the various ladies see some form of justice enacted

MacheteZombie posted:

Alien
Prometheus
Alien 3
Everything else

now this is a power ranking i can get behind

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Crumps Brother posted:

If that's the one I'm thinking about isn't it where the group descends through various rooms and things are all spooky or whatever with each room and then going in to the end it starts getting really hectic and eventually the woman is just running back and forth through all those previous rooms and at one point a demon jumps out at her and she just punches the drat thing and keeps going?

I remember being kind of annoyed about it when I watched it but typing it out just now it sounds kinda funny and cool written out. Maybe the execution was off or something.

yea that's basically it. It really felt like they didnt know how to wrap up the movie and did the video game thing that video games are often guilty of to wrap up the ends of their games.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Crumps Brother posted:

I enjoyed that part and remember guffawing at her speedrunning the level back to an earlier point and then back again, just jumping over all the horrors that scared you the first time around

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I'd like a Predator movie that takes place on the Predator home planet and it's just a documentary about what life is like there.

Basically What We Do in The Shadows, but with predators. Not sure that would appeal to anyone but me though.

When I was a kid I used to wonder how Predators walk around without constantly slamming into walls or falling from high places.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Twin Cinema posted:

You and I have the exact same ranking. The only difference is that I have never seen the Assembly cut, and have no desire to because how much I dislike the Theatrical cut.

I used to be a staunch "Alien is better than Aliens" dude, but this recent rewatch changed my opinion.

Both are on HBO Max. I watched Alien 3 Theatrical first and found it agonizing. Decided to give the Assembly cut a go because it was readily available, and figured I could watch it until I was over it. The pacing is so much better, that even though it's longer, it's more palatable and flows better.

Alien 3 Assembly Cut, as mentioned, has a great cast, and I think the production design is very good and the cinematography is pretty good throughout.

I'd say give it a shot next time you're in the mood for a xenomorph tale, just to see if it clicks better for you. Even though it doesn't fix the film entirely, I find it much more watchable.

Tac Dibar posted:

I enjoyed that part and remember guffawing at her speedrunning the level back to an earlier point and then back again, just jumping over all the horrors that scared you the first time around

It's the Dark Souls of Found Footage.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

I wouldn’t want to know anyway. That would ruin it.

Just like with most of these things, the question is the interesting part, not the answer.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
One thing that was a complete loss for Alien 3 was losing Jordan Cronenweth as the DP. Alex Thomson did a great job shooting it and did some cool facsimiles matching what little Jordan had done, but man, having Jordan's eye through the entire film would've been amazing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I like the ending of As Above So Below. I think it plays really well with the themes of the piece. But its obviously something wholly different from what horror fans expect and leans much more fully into the adventure dna of the film. So I know why a lot of horror fans wouldn't like that.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I like the ending of As Above So Below. I think it plays really well with the themes of the piece. But its obviously something wholly different from what horror fans expect and leans much more fully into the adventure dna of the film. So I know why a lot of horror fans wouldn't like that.

I agreed. Ultimately I liked the main character and I was just happy she completed her quest and survived.

Like, I think the theoretical best FF movies are ones that leave more questions than answers, but so many of them try to make too much sense. I think AASB, in trying to answer all the questions, at least sticks a landing.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I'd love a sequel to AASB that doubles down on the Indiana Jones-esque pulp occultism stuff, for me that's what set it apart from the one thousand other found footage movies about exploring a spooky cave or whatever.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

So many blue-tinted found footage movies that just look like let's plays of fallout 3.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I really liked AASB for what it was, sort of an indiana jones/national treasure style found footage horror movie mashup. It varies greatly in scenes from "This is kinda boring" to "What in the holy gently caress is going on?", and at least ends on a definitive note. I didn't get the idea it was a happy one, but honestly I dunno what ending I'd have preferred in the long run.

The other found footage movie that came out around the same time was The Pyramid or something like that, and it was just bad. Had a great premise, but man they hosed it up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know that the ending is "happy" so much as "therapeutic". Like the surviving characters go through something not only physically dangerous, but that tested their own personal poo poo and they came out of it alive and having worked through some poo poo. It feels like a completed journey, especially for the main character. And that fits with its quest/adventure elements even if it probably lets down people looking for a more horror element.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

I remember disliking As Above So Below in theaters, particularly due to the ending, but maybe that's just because at the time I really wasn't used to horror films getting Happy endings and it's probably something I'd appreciate a lot more these days on a rewatch

Spoiler is exactly why I liked it, you never see that, especially in found footage.

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Whoa whoa wait, time out.
I just watched AASB today and the one thing I really liked was the fact that so many of the little spooky bits were meant for just one member of the group.

twernt fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 17, 2021

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I love any found footage movie that actually takes me somewhere interesting. I've had enough found footage where people are just in the woods, or in somebody's house.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

I love any found footage movie that actually takes me somewhere interesting. I've had enough found footage where people are just in the woods, or in somebody's house.

This. As Above, So below is a middle of the road movie (totally serviceable found footage though imo) but the catacombs setting is great so I found it really enjoyable.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Even though it's mostly a crap genre I have a real soft spot for found footage. trying to find good ones in a minefield though, because by my estimate about 95% of them are unwatchable.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basebf555 posted:

This is kind of why I liked Area 51.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

MarsPearl posted:

The Cryptid convo a while back made me think about what some cool mytho/crypto-logical creatures are that would be great in a horror movie but haven't really been used much or at all. I'd personally love something to use the Nuckelavee, which is basically the world's most hosed up cyclops/centaur that poisons the ground it walks on.

Seriously look at this thing.

A goon wrote some good books that has one of these as a bad guy

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Just watched Dead Alive (or is it Braindead? Why is there two different names?) for the first time.

Left me almost speechless, that was the most insane thing I've ever seen. The amount of sheer creativity on display is CRAZY. I feel like it should be more well known? Or maybe it is and I just never hear about it. The effects and gore still totally hold up. Just blew my loving mind.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Just watched Dead Alive (or is it Braindead? Why is there two different names?) for the first time.

Left me almost speechless, that was the most insane thing I've ever seen. The amount of sheer creativity on display is CRAZY. I feel like it should be more well known? Or maybe it is and I just never hear about it. The effects and gore still totally hold up. Just blew my loving mind.

Yeah it absolutely rules, it was one of the first horror films (along with Evil Dead II) that made me realize how much I loved the genre. There was another film called Braindead that came out around the same time so it got renamed to Dead Alive for the US market. And I think it’s very well known among horror fans at least.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

gey muckle mowser posted:

Yeah it absolutely rules, it was one of the first horror films (along with Evil Dead II) that made me realize how much I loved the genre. There was another film called Braindead that came out around the same time so it got renamed to Dead Alive for the US market. And I think it’s very well known among horror fans at least.

Yea, see I always hear a lot about Evil Dead's gore effects, but I never really see Dead Alive brought up. But I also have no friends so it could just be me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dead alive is one of those super horror fans thing. If you’re with a bunch of die hard and start going down the list on gonzo flicks, that one tends to come up.

It’s also kind of hard to find right now. At least like Blu Ray wise. I ended up watching it on YouTube.