Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
probably not

maybe that one xbox 360 controller driver that stopped working and i occasionally get errors for will finally gently caress off, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Big Sur is still a work in progress and there's a lot of apps that have to be updated to run properly in it.

The Bluetooth stack in 11.x up to this point is a hopeless pile of junk, too.

It also introduces the Sealed System Volume concept that is causing no end of headaches in terms of being able to make bootable clones and modifying the system.

Unless you have an app that absolutely requires it, if it were me, I'd stick with Catalina.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 17, 2021

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Binary Badger posted:

Big Sur is still a work in progress and there's a lot of apps that have to be updated to run properly in it.

It also introduces the Sealed System Volume concept that is causing no end of headaches in terms of being able to make bootable clones and modifying the system.

Unless you have an app that absolutely requires it, if it were me, I'd stick with Catalina.
Thunderbolt peripheral support is also questionable, particularly on M1 Macs.

That said, I had a lot of weird issues in Catalina as well and I wouldn’t say Big Sur is necessarily worse so much as it’s different in terms of problems.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Binary Badger posted:

Yeah the handoffs between iphone and mac for airpods max are terribly broken lol @ me for buying a 1st gen Apple product and expecting it to work well.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Quackles posted:

Do you use any 32-bit programs?

Isn't he already dealing with that in Catalina?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yeah, 10.15.x was the end of 32-bit

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

CygnusTM posted:

Isn't he already dealing with that in Catalina?

Yes.

Also, I’m no power user, but these days I just say forget it and upgrade, at least on my personal computer. There’s always something wrong, but I want the new things. I get the hesitation, and it even makes sense when you’re relying on it for specific functions (work especially), but I think it’s OK to upgrade if that doesn’t apply and you want the new things too.

In other words, Big Sur has been OK for me and many other people. Some people it hasn’t. If you need your computer to do a certain thing, do your research and see if and what problems have come up. Otherwise, I think it's OK to update, the caveat being you should keep up with the patche, but that applies to those who hold out on the last version of any given OS as well.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 17, 2021

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

It should also be remembered that Apple does eventually tend to fix the big showstoppers by the end of the cycle, unless something is broken that you absolutely depend on daily / is mission critical it's all right to upgrade.

One other thing to be aware of in Big Sur, 4K monitor connectivity is also a huge mess, especially if you want 4K @ 120 Hz (this seems to be a separate issue from Apple's admitted incompatibility between M1 machines and ultrawide / super ultrawide monitors. - see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212027)

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
So I'm using my free early 2011 MBP 15".

Gotta say, it's a shame that Apple abandons their app updates for the older OSes. It just makes me rely on non-Apple software more and more. And once I got this machine dialed in with all my must used services. It still preforms awesome for normal WFH tasks. The 8 thread i7 and cheapie SSD make this machine really snappy. And High Sierra is very classy.

Holy gently caress is this thing heavy compared to my 16" though drat.

EDIT: Shame about Apple podcasts app not being available for High Sierra through the App Store. I was really enjoying being able continue where I left off on all my devices.

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 17, 2021

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

The Podcasts app (native from Apple) only started showing up on Catalina macOS installs.

Didn't exist for any macOS before 10.15.x.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah, iTunes handled all podcast related duties in the past, but you should still be able to use iTunes in High Sierra and see where you’ve left off in podcasts.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Last Chance posted:

Yeah, iTunes handled all podcast related duties in the past, but you should still be able to use iTunes in High Sierra and see where you’ve left off in podcasts.

I'm afraid to do that and mess up my Podcast's app syncing etc.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Is the Apple TV app on the latest Big Sur (M1 Air) jacked for anyone else? Was trying to browse through all the films they have on sale atm but the app keeps just completely halting and refusing to scroll and needing me to kill and restart it before it works again. Seems broken to a kind of impressive degree.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Ziploc posted:

I still use iTunes on Windows and it syncs podcasts just fine (that is, in the kind of mediocre way Apple podcasts has always synced).

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah, iTunes is still compatible with Podcasts.app and it works just fine especially since Windows is still stuck with iTunes app.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Jose Oquendo posted:

Delete your Outlook profile and make a new one would be the next step. Maybe do a clean uninstall/reinstall of Office while you’re at it.

Ran a script to strip it all out, rebooted, reinstalled, all good now. Thanks for the kick in the pants.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
So is the epic games store app just straight up broken for anyone else? It just won’t show open but the icon sits in the dock forever and some CEF process hammers at the gpu for awhile. No amount of troubleshooting or purging of epic from my computer and reinstalling has done anything.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Ziploc posted:

lol my podcast syncing goes nuts if I dare AirPlay a podcast to the HomePod. I’ll play like 30 mins of a podcast over airplay, come back to it on my phone later and it’s forgotten I listened to that whole segment. Doesn’t happen with other airplay speakers.

Conversely, one of the recent Big Sur updates does seem to have fixed my Bluetooth headphone woes; they haven’t been microstuttering at all recently.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Quackles posted:

Do you use any 32-bit programs?

If they're already running Catalina, then they aren't running any 32 bit applications.

e: nvm; fb

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.

Lightningproof posted:

Is the Apple TV app on the latest Big Sur (M1 Air) jacked for anyone else? Was trying to browse through all the films they have on sale atm but the app keeps just completely halting and refusing to scroll and needing me to kill and restart it before it works again. Seems broken to a kind of impressive degree.

Buying films/TV shows has been broken for me ever since they split up iTunes. On macOS I always get told that the content isn't available in my region and can't see complete collections of TV shows, only individual seasons. I've been using the iTunes Store app on iOS as that still works, but who knows for how long.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

So I just sold a Macintosh Classic 1988 to a guy, and I realised I haven't installed a Danish keyboard layout for its MacOS. Is there a repository for MacOS keyboard layouts somewhere out there, specifically for 3.3?

E:

Welp, the guy just wanted it as an ornament, so he didn't mind.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 18, 2021

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Has anyone experienced issues with not being able to send iMessages to certain people on their Macs, but if you write to them on your iPhone it works just fine? I can't seem to figure out why this only happens with some contacts.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'd like to make a current snapshot of my MBP with all settings and options ticked off and then I want to wipe the MBP and start from fresh. I don't think isn't needed anymore but I have a metric fuckton of .config files strewn about everywhere from all my days trying to make Homebrew and Macports and whatnot work. I just want a list of stuff I used, and then set them up as needed. How do I do this easily?

JSON Bourne
Jun 1, 2004

Eight Is Legend posted:

Has anyone experienced issues with not being able to send iMessages to certain people on their Macs, but if you write to them on your iPhone it works just fine? I can't seem to figure out why this only happens with some contacts.

Is the text input just missing for that contact when you click on them in Messages? Because that's happening to me with just one contact. If I start a new message and add them as a recipient it works but if I click away the text input will disappear again. Can't figure out why it is happening.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Eight Is Legend posted:

Are those contacts that don’t work using Android (green bubbles)?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Eight Is Legend posted:

I've been having horrible synching problems with Messages between phones and macs since Big Sur came out- it's really loving broken and Apple hasn't seemed to acknowledged this at all. It's really a problem for me as I tend to go back and forth between the 2 platforms and if someone is trying to message me and I don't see it for a long time because it doesn't show up on my MBP while I'm using it then it can cause problems.

I've also been noticing that sometimes messages will show up on my loving iPad (non-cellular) before they show up on my drat iphone or mbp.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Violator posted:

Are those contacts that don’t work using Android (green bubbles)?

No, I can send them iMessages on my iPhone without any issues, but it's only happening with certain contacts and I can't really find any rhyme or reason to it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Eight Is Legend posted:

No, I can send them iMessages on my iPhone without any issues, but it's only happening with certain contacts and I can't really find any rhyme or reason to it.

Ask them if they have upgraded to Big Sur on their Macs.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Ask them if they have upgraded to Big Sur on their Macs.

The saddest part is that I don't know if this is a bit or not

Violator
May 15, 2003

Eight Is Legend posted:

I had the same issue, but it was because the people I was trying to send to were on Android. Worked fine from my iPhone but I couldn’t send to them from my Mac. It had something to do with SMS connection between my devices and I had to redo the Settings -> Messages -> Devices (on iOS) and I think also checked the config in Messages on Mac.

If it’s truly random people I’m not sure what’s up but you might try turning those settings off and on again?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Crunchy Black posted:

The saddest part is that I don't know if this is a bit or not

It's not. I just was mentioning that since I upgraded to Big Sur messages on my Mac has gone to poo poo and won't synch regularly. Sometimes for a matter of hours.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
I've had various iMessages sync problems in the past and the only solution I found (and it actually seemed to work) was to completely sign out of iCloud on my phone, iCloud on my Mac, and make sure Messages on the Mac is also signed out (it can be signed in separately, even if your Mac isn't). You leave them all signed out for a couple of hours (seriously, if you can manage it, do it over night; 15 minutes or whatever has never been enough time) which seems to let the backend systems clear out whatever the gently caress is wrong, and then sign back in on all of the devices. It was suggested to me by Apple Support and each time it's happened (2-3 I think), it's worked.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Whenever my aged parents send me a URL in Messages from their several-years-old Mac, the URL and its preview will appear in the preview pane on the left, but then if I click on it to look at the actual message it's just not there.

It makes me feel like a drat fool trying to do tech support for an OS bug at this stage in all of our lives.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

nexxai posted:

I've had various iMessages sync problems in the past and the only solution I found (and it actually seemed to work) was to completely sign out of iCloud on my phone, iCloud on my Mac, and make sure Messages on the Mac is also signed out (it can be signed in separately, even if your Mac isn't). You leave them all signed out for a couple of hours (seriously, if you can manage it, do it over night; 15 minutes or whatever has never been enough time) which seems to let the backend systems clear out whatever the gently caress is wrong, and then sign back in on all of the devices. It was suggested to me by Apple Support and each time it's happened (2-3 I think), it's worked.

I'll give that a shot tonight, thanks! Fingers crossed that it works.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I have a friend getting her first Mac. I know she's going to want some utilities like Bartender and Moom. Any bundles that anyone could recommend?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

If I log out of iCloud on my mac and phone will it gently caress with my music and photos?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

If I log out of iCloud on my mac and phone will it gently caress with my music and photos?

I think Photos will let you decide whether or not to keep a local copy. Music synced from a computer should stay too, but if you’re referring to Apple Music, I really don’t know.

tuyop posted:

I have a friend getting her first Mac. I know she's going to want some utilities like Bartender and Moom. Any bundles that anyone could recommend?

BetterTouchTool if it’s got a TouchBar. But otherwise, I’d show her the native apps and how iCloud works with them, especially if she also has an iPhone or iPad.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Violator posted:

I had the same issue, but it was because the people I was trying to send to were on Android. Worked fine from my iPhone but I couldn’t send to them from my Mac. It had something to do with SMS connection between my devices and I had to redo the Settings -> Messages -> Devices (on iOS) and I think also checked the config in Messages on Mac.

If it’s truly random people I’m not sure what’s up but you might try turning those settings off and on again?

They are all on iPhones, so that's why iMessage works when I send from my phone, but strangely enough not from my Mac.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Eight Is Legend posted:

They are all on iPhones, so that's why iMessage works when I send from my phone, but strangely enough not from my Mac.

Are the messages on the Mac being sent originating from your phone number or your email address? Some people could have the option to block messages from unknown senders that aren’t in their contacts turned on. So if they have your phone number in their contacts but not your email address, it might not go through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Is there an easy way to transfer all my pictures from Google Photos to iCloud? I have both a Mac and PC. I tried downloading all my Google Photos data, but I can't upload folders through the iCloud website and google makes everything into folders and subfolders, and I don't want to go through 16 years of folders that google created if possible.