Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rewatching China, IL on HBO Max and it is so much better uncensored. Also really goofy that the show also stars Oscar nominated Director/Writer Greta Gerwig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
China il is a show I wished stuck around for at least a few seasons more

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Milo and POTUS posted:

China il is a show I wished stuck around for at least a few seasons more

I still watch the original prof bros videos on the regular

https://youtu.be/Sp3wTXYoCCg

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The return of Raylan Givens? Still in early stages of development but Justified creator Graham Yost is doing another Elmore Leonard adaptation for FX with talks to bring back Timothy Olyphant as Raylan.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yes please. Even if it's just cameos.

OH poo poo maybe it's a Tim Gutterson spinoff!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

muscles like this! posted:

The return of Raylan Givens? Still in early stages of development but Justified creator Graham Yost is doing another Elmore Leonard adaptation for FX with talks to bring back Timothy Olyphant as Raylan.
I guess The Good Place made Olyphant nostalgic for the Raylan costume?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

Yes please. Even if it's just cameos.

OH poo poo maybe it's a Tim Gutterson spinoff!

I would watch the hell out of a Tim spinoff.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Resident Alien renewed for season 2.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

So drat surprised and happy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hooting and hollerin irl

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Speaking of cop shows, I don't think there's ever been a finer "Gotcha" than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHhXZjUCB1c&t=256s

The quivering lip at the end ...

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

gently caress yeah. I bet this thread convincing me to watch it last week was what finally pushed them over the edge. Thank you and you're welcome.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Davros1 posted:

Speaking of cop shows, I don't think there's ever been a finer "Gotcha" than this:

I love Columbo so drat much and I’ve only been watching it for a few weeks. I’m through season 3 now and I can only think of 2 or 3 dull/mediocre episodes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I love Columbo so drat much and I’ve only been watching it for a few weeks. I’m through season 3 now and I can only think of 2 or 3 dull/mediocre episodes.

Peter Falk definitely elevates what's already there for sure but it's generally a really well written show before you even get to the performances. It helps that it's nowhere near as full of filler since it's not a traditional network drama and is instead small seasons of movie length episodes.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Falk is just a treasure in general. Love him in the in laws

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

"Fans are clamoring for Clarice" is a promo I just saw at the end of a CBS show. I forgot this even existed-did anyone here watch it and if so how bad is it?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is it only streaming on Prime through IMDB with ads or is there a place I can stream it ad free? And no I won't be stealing Columbo episodes, I'd surely be caught by my overconfidence and underestimation of the investigating detective.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

zoux posted:

Is it only streaming on Prime through IMDB with ads or is there a place I can stream it ad free? And no I won't be stealing Columbo episodes, I'd surely be caught by my overconfidence and underestimation of the investigating detective.

That’s how I’ve been watching it, not sure if there’s an alternative. I just watch it on my Xbox because I’m lazy but if you watch it in a browser with an adblocker it’ll skip almost all of the ads.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Columbo is on Peacock. Except for the two pilots.

EDIT: Scratch that, the pilots are there but as movies and not with the series.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sirotan posted:

"Fans are clamoring for Clarice" is a promo I just saw at the end of a CBS show. I forgot this even existed-did anyone here watch it and if so how bad is it?

I saw the first episode. Her FBI colleagues are being douches to her for some reason and they do a prank by leaving lotion in her desk drawer which doesn't make any sense.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

I saw the first episode. Her FBI colleagues are being douches to her for some reason and they do a prank by leaving lotion in her desk drawer which doesn't make any sense.
It puts the lotion in the drawer or else it gets dry hands again!

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

Wait... is she a great big fat person?

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Is anyone watching Firefly Lane? The description says it's about "a friendship that lasts two women from their teens into their fourties" but really it's just a suuuuuper hosed up paradigm between two people. Tully is a poo poo friend, jesus.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Baller Ina posted:

Is anyone watching Firefly Lane? The description says it's about "a friendship that lasts two women from their teens into their fourties" but really it's just a suuuuuper hosed up paradigm between two people. Tully is a poo poo friend, jesus.

Is that the Katherine Heigel show? Because why would anyone watch that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Davros1 posted:

I was all set to watch for 10-15 sec and click away if it wasn't timestamped to the the reveal but it's so goddamn good I watch from the time stamp until the end.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I'd love to rewatch the show, but I don't know where the later seasons are streaming without having to pay out per season (drat you Amazon)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Justified, and every other FX show, is on Hulu.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

More journalistic malpractice from the Daily Planet

That's your loving A1? In that size headline? At least the author doesn't have a 5x7 headshot next to the byeline this time I guess.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 40 days!

zoux posted:

That's your loving A1? In that size headline? At least the author doesn't have a 5x7 headshot next to the byeline this time I guess.

This reminds me of the jokes they'd make on MST3K, whenever an old film did the "spinning newspaper headline" trick, and the movie studios would just reuse the same newspaper prop, with the same secondary headlines, over and over again in numerous films. "BUILDING CODE UNDER FIRE" "Oh, that poor building code. :ohdear:"

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Sirotan posted:

It’s a fairly typical procedural. The first couple of episodes are annoying with how Clarice’s comrades are pointlessly dickish, but that gets sorted out.

The Silence of the Lambs background is purely for emotion and character development while the overarching plot (at least at this point) is a corporate conspiracy, so it’s not what you’d expect from the property.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

zoux posted:

Just ... just what are the dimensions on that poor paper? I can't even tell how many columns there are. Six is pretty common now, but that's at least six on that page and way thicker than six columns should be. And all of this is ABOVE the fold.

And no graphics, except for the flag. That layout person needs to be fired.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Slamhound posted:

It’s a fairly typical procedural. The first couple of episodes are annoying with how Clarice’s comrades are pointlessly dickish, but that gets sorted out.

The Silence of the Lambs background is purely for emotion and character development while the overarching plot (at least at this point) is a corporate conspiracy, so it’s not what you’d expect from the property.

Are there any references to the Silence of the Lambs universe at all, or did they seriously just pay a licensing fee to call the main character "Clarice"?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

SimonChris posted:

Are there any references to the Silence of the Lambs universe at all, or did they seriously just pay a licensing fee to call the main character "Clarice"?
A lot, actually. They rely pretty heavily on Buffalo Bill; recreating Clarice’s taking him down. The central trait of Clarice is that she’s suffering from PTSD from the whole thing. The politician who’s daughter was in the well has pulled Clarice out of mothballs and assigned her to this mew task force. And the daughter is a currently minor character who still has Precious and is also emotionally crippled from it all. Hannibal is referenced but not specifically mentioned.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
What editor let "blankie" get spelled "bank"?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Sydney Bottocks posted:

This reminds me of the jokes they'd make on MST3K, whenever an old film did the "spinning newspaper headline" trick, and the movie studios would just reuse the same newspaper prop, with the same secondary headlines, over and over again in numerous films. "BUILDING CODE UNDER FIRE" "Oh, that poor building code. :ohdear:"

One of my favorite Psych gags was the episode starting with a spinning newspaper, only to have it be an iPad and Gus yelling at Shawn to stop it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Slamhound posted:

A lot, actually. They rely pretty heavily on Buffalo Bill; recreating Clarice’s taking him down. The central trait of Clarice is that she’s suffering from PTSD from the whole thing. The politician who’s daughter was in the well has pulled Clarice out of mothballs and assigned her to this mew task force. And the daughter is a currently minor character who still has Precious and is also emotionally crippled from it all. Hannibal is referenced but not specifically mentioned.

Yeah, there are a lot of direct references to Silence of the Lambs, and the show draws heavily from the book's smaller details. The one thing they are completely prohibited from doing is any specific mention of Hannibal Lecter, as those character rights are completely turbofucked, so in the pilot, for example, they just have an oblique reference to something like "your last psychiatrist."

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I blame Dino DeLaurentiis for the rights issues. I know he died years ago but the dude was a creep.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Detroiters was hilarious. Think it coulda gone for a few more seasons, but hey, I Think You Should Leave took some of the funniest poo poo and ran with it so that's alright.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was kind of amazing how quickly the Hot Dog Suit sketch became a meme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There was a Washington Post article about it from before the election!