Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bogan Krkic posted:

a man as tall as a man!

his defeated little '...taller than a dungeon master, perhaps' really made that bit gold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I'm sure anyone reading this thread has already seen this other places but their Melbourne show is on sale rn:
https://twitter.com/drgnfrnds/status/1364021099197964294

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Free to a good home is a wholesome show, the Valentine’s one was real good

Start to the new season of dragon friends was decent too

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I was on board from episode 1, when Hing was surprised to discover that murder in a public setting sends you to jail

to his day I'm not sure any of the players have yet fully grasped the laws of cause and effect really

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
It probably doesn't need to be said, but joining the Dragon Huddle fb group is a big recommend for anyone that hasn't deleted their FB entirely.

Post images or gifs of what a perfectly normal Chongus looks like.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 27, 2021

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The discord is a cool place to chat with other draggo fans too--might be worth adding to the OP (unless it's already in there and i missed it, i just ctrl-f'd for "discord" and nothing came up)

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I haven't updated the OP since season 4, so, y'know

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

inthesto posted:

I haven't updated the OP since season 4, so, y'know

It's still considerably higher-effort than any OP I would have written, so no judgment from me

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

It only took the Gribbits Detective Agency 2 days/3 streams to become enemies of the state, that feels like a record.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

SubNat posted:

It only took the Gribbits Detective Agency 2 days/3 streams to become enemies of the state, that feels like a record.

I'm almost positive they've killed more government officials, local leaders, and cops than all other monster types combined.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SubNat posted:

Depending on how you look at it, the record for this is "within twenty minutes of the start of the first episode of the podcast"

I guess that technically might not count because they were doomed to be scapegoated for a crime anyway, but they pre-empted it by actually doing one for no particular reason.

It really tickles me that Leonard Swiftfeatures was supposed to be a major character for the first campaign and that Hing just offed him because he felt like it. I think Dave has said that he didn't really have much DM experience before starting dragon friends but you'd honestly never know, he adapted to a major curveball in front of a live audience very deftly.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

canon

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

No Consequences No Consequences No Consequences No Consequences No Consequences No Consequences

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
There is also a wiki on Fandom, but the original maintainer has been AWOL for a long time, so stuff is being written about the newer seasons but can’t be linked to the menus or front page.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Sounds like the best solution would be to make a new wiki and make sure Dave or someone has admin/managment rights so that the wiki doesn't become useless because someone lost interest in managing it for the third time.

In other notes, they streamed another podcast liveshow instead of Gribbits-ing thing week:
Podcast ep 3: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/943888901
Podcast ep 4: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/943918460

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Offended at the very suggestion that Dave should ever be given control over Dragon Friends material, when years of evidence shows that his complete lack of control is crucial to its success

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Technically someone can “adopt” the wiki, but fandom has to approve that and it usually requires “continuous posting for months” which can be difficult for a podcast wiki.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm catching up on the beef babes finally, and I'm now up to the episode where dave makes the questionable decision to let hing play the NPCs so he kills bushu and lol that the VOD skips over the beef break where presumably the chat rakes hing over the coals for 10 straight minutes. I kind of wanted to see that

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm catching up on the beef babes finally, and I'm now up to the episode where dave makes the questionable decision to let hing play the NPCs so he kills bushu and lol that the VOD skips over the beef break where presumably the chat rakes hing over the coals for 10 straight minutes. I kind of wanted to see that

haha I'm up the exact same point in my catch up and felt exactly the same, giving hing control of NPCs can only end badly

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

the chat was SO ANGRY at him, I kind of wanted to see what happened when they turned it back on to look at it during the break. I guess dave decided it was best not to preserve that conversation for posterity lol

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

I saw Michael Hing was a guest on the newest bst.png, so I decided to check out that podcast. One hour later and now I want both Tom and Demi to play dnd at the same time, because this energy is wild.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Psychedelicatessen posted:

I saw Michael Hing was a guest on the newest bst.png, so I decided to check out that podcast. One hour later and now I want both Tom and Demi to play dnd at the same time, because this energy is wild.

You're in luck! Well, not entirely, but even when playing a completely different game they're still following the rules of D&D just as closely as normal
https://thedragonfriends.com/episode/dragon-friends-and-friends-play-monster-of-the-week/

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I could swear there was a proper dragon friends episode that had them both on, too, but maybe I'm just confusing it with that one shot.

I know Dave has said on-air that he refuses to have the two of them on together on account of the "itchy" energy they create (i couldn't tell you exactly what that means, but it's 100% accurate) but I feel like I remember it happening once anyway. I could be wrong though, they've been at this for years.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Ainsley McTree posted:

I could swear there was a proper dragon friends episode that had them both on, too, but maybe I'm just confusing it with that one shot.

I know Dave has said on-air that he refuses to have the two of them on together on account of the "itchy" energy they create (i couldn't tell you exactly what that means, but it's 100% accurate) but I feel like I remember it happening once anyway. I could be wrong though, they've been at this for years.

IIRC there's an episode where Tom is the officially listed guest, but Demi is in the audience and just hops on stage at a certain point.

There is a full adventure featuring both Demi and Tom: Wet Parents. It costs five bucks, though.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Speaking of Demi, she's one of the players in this week's Gribbits session:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/952514330
https://twitter.com/drgnfrnds/status/1372038693565788160

It's also worth nothing that Edan's the DM for this set, and Dave is just a normal PC, so I'm curious how that'll pan out.
(DM: Edan. Players: Hing, Carlo, Dave, Demi.)

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

SubNat posted:

Speaking of Demi, she's one of the players in this week's Gribbits session:

It's also worth nothing that Edan's the DM for this set, and Dave is just a normal PC, so I'm curious how that'll pan out.
(DM: Edan. Players: Hing, Carlo, Dave, Demi.)

yeah this season all their guests have regular characters they can periodically come back to, which is a neat idea

i wonder if there's enough interest to support a more general australian comedy podcast thread, because i feel like i consume a lot of them between DF/bst.png/ftagh/auntie donna

(i just listened to this week's auntie donna and it may be their dumbest episode i've ever heard, which is really saying a lot. i mean that in a positive way)

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Between the Dragon Friends extended universe, Planet Broadcasting, and Sans Pants Radio, there's a huge battery of Australian comedy podcasts out there. I'm not opposed to there being a general thread for it.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Finding Drago/Finding Desperado are incredible little series that more people should listen to

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Oh yeah I loved drago; it’s like serial, but with zero stakes and two guys who are doing a cargo cult version of investigative journalism

Haven’t started desperado yet but it’s in my backlog for sure

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Good news: Finding Desperado is just about as good as the original.

I say "just about" because nothing will ever match the record scratch moment of ABC's legal counsel coming in and saying "no, you can't use this secret recording"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

inching ever closer to getting PFT on dragon friends:

https://twitter.com/tomwalkerisgood/status/1372296403997794310?s=20

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I don't just want to post a followup tweet with no content but I have to because this contains the most concentrated bst.png listener energy I've ever seen. Zero trust in the hosts, zero hope, and completely fine with that.

https://twitter.com/LL_COOL_JOACHIM/status/1372302092090503172

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the episode is honestly fantastic

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Whats a PFT?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Perfectly Firm Titty

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Pretty Fungible Token

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

the chat was SO ANGRY at him, I kind of wanted to see what happened when they turned it back on to look at it during the break. I guess dave decided it was best not to preserve that conversation for posterity lol

Huh that's interesting, I didn't think they could edit out portions of VODs on Twitch. Anyway what happened was edan and hing went off to have a Talk so chat couldn't really yell at hing too much since he wasn't there to see it. They only came back just before the show restarted. Did they also edit out hing having to go "wait are you actually mad?" at edan? And him trying to explain that he felt like he was just doing the IC thing for the character?

It is genuinely the only time I've been angry at hing for his gameplay decisions. So many years of this game and he still fundamentally doesn't understand that the DM is trying to create a fun experience rather than have bosses kill everyone as efficiently as possible.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It was one of the VODs that was split into two hour-long videos instead of one two-hour long video, so the first one ended right before the beef break started, and then the second one picked up right as they started playing again. I don't think the VOD picked up any of the serious chat, but I assumed it had to have happened since they usually include the breaks, even for the split VODs.

I didn't really mind it personally, it's about the level of chaos I expect from this show, but I was starting to get tense because I could see how legitimately frustrated the chat was getting about it, and Edan didn't seem to be loving it either, but he rolled with it pretty professionally for all of the bits that I was able to see. I assume that if Hing knew everyone was yelling at him he would have tapped the brakes, he usually steps back from the edge pretty quickly in live shows when the audience (or at times, one of the other players) starts booing him, but I'm guessing they've started turning the chat off while playing to minimize distractions.

And yeah his whole "I'm just doing what the character would do" thing didn't really make sense, because as Dave (I think) pointed out, in order to reach bushu, mahadi would have had to reach past Bethanee, who was currently stabbing him, and it seems like that would typically be someone's main focus in a battle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

And yeah his whole "I'm just doing what the character would do" thing didn't really make sense, because as Dave (I think) pointed out, in order to reach bushu, mahadi would have had to reach past Bethanee, who was currently stabbing him, and it seems like that would typically be someone's main focus in a battle

Ah that is because you are thinking like roleplaying a person in a battle, and not thinking with Video Game Brain, which would tell you that the most efficient thing to do is to finish off one attacker at a time so they are completely out of the picture. He ignored downed Bushu the first time and Bushu got back up, so obviously he had to finish him off properly the second time and he was very restrained and fair by giving him the chance of not dying.