Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I’m the 1.38 grams of sodium.

For reference: A Big Mac is 1.01g of sodium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

For reference: A Big Mac is 1.01g of sodium.

Yeah the canned burger is only 279 calories versus 563 in a Mac though so the salt per calorie ratio is pretty up there.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

laserghost posted:

I know the burger in the can was already posted, like, twice, but do check the "Actionshots (7)*" provided by the website that sells them: https://www.asmc.com/trekking-burger

Honestly that's bad but way less bad than I was expecting from "burger in a can."

Bobbot
Mar 16, 2021

Although it may seem as if I cannot hear you, let me reassure you that you are being heard.

voted wettest hot dog bun 2020

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

WAB

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

This screams britain

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
If I remember I'll take a pic of my homemade Doobie Dog today. Cheap hot snacks! I'm recording my calories so No Fries!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

post your doobie dog recipe.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

post your doobie dog recipe.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I made a doobie dog today. Ball Park bun, a good Wisconsin hot dog [not doobie style], some canned Stag chili, and a slice of kraft cheese. It was good and messy. But it was really sad and pathetic.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

piled high with chopped onion or was that like $2 extra? I seem to remember onion in that one photo. I don't want to be inauthentic to the racist offal merchant.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
first onion is $.50 but the rest will cost ya

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I’m the 1.38 grams of sodium.

this would have scared me before I started baking my own bread.

now i can't sit down in a park without squirrels trying to lick me it's very odd

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I made my doobie dogs!

It's more hilarious with the cheese on top.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Aardvark! posted:

saw this in gws.

This is loving sad

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

Aardvark! posted:

Actual worst hot dogs

I grew up eating the $1 hot dog packs like these bad boys & fun dog franks

when I actually tried "good" hot dogs as an adult, i found the flavor so intense and disgusting. As a result of all of this, I can only enjoy hot dogs that have been blackened in the flames of a bonfire or charcoal grill, or in lieu of that, dogs that have a thick application of mustard.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I think we've all been there, jobless with nothing but a bucket of hotdogs, a block of processed cheese, a van, an American flag, and a goddamn dream.

Or at least that was my initial impression. Since the campaign started, the guy has actually built his kitchen (look at the updates!), done some hotdog catering, set up his entire supply chain, and he appears to have his budget planned very well, albeit with the help of "How to Start a Hotdog Cart" eBooks. He's got a dream, man, and none of us and not even the devil himself is going to be able to stop him. Unlike a lot of crappy Kickstarters, I believe this is going to happen with or without our funding. This guy is Forrest Gump and his shrimping boat/hotdog stand might as well be built right next to the Field of Dreams. I don't mean to imply that he's an idiot, but that I admire his blind confidence and hotdog faith.

I come from Hipsterville where we only eat hotdogs ironically, as a joke, so that other people can look at us and say "Haha. That's hilarious. Let me take an Instagram of that. Imagine if you ate hotdogs and actually liked them." So this campaign touches me in ways both mystical and nostalgic. It makes me yearn for the days when I could eat bad food unironically and wear plaid because it's warm and because lumberjacks are cool, not because I'm trying to convey some dumb hidden message. Every time you eat a hotdog, you get to become a kid again for two minutes.

The hotdogs are hilarious, but I genuinely hate it when people get flak for "trying too hard." We badly need more people who try too hard. It's the most foolish insult to say, "I dislike you because I dislike effort." We are a generation of people who were told their entire lives by nurturing, caring, hippie parents they we are all geniuses. Every boy a wonderboy. Every child above average. But rare is a parent who doesn't care about test scores and IQs, but instead praises their kid only for trying and failing. Effort, man. Effort. That matters so much more than innate intelligence, than knowledge, than wit. You should try to do new things even when (hell, especially when) you think you will fail. This man is trying hard, with all his might, for an aspiration that isn't even lofty. It's humble man wanting for a reachable goal involving the most meager of foods in the tiniest of towns in the poorest of states.

Yeah, I'll be damned if I'm going to dislike a guy for trying too hard. It's apparent that he has turned to crowdfunding only because he has already put every spare dollar he owns into this business. I might not believe in the superior deliciousness of Doobie's hotdogs, but I want to believe in them. And I would eat one.

Another thing is that this appears to be a very small town where the median household income is 20 grand and the most prominent restaurant is a Subway. A hotdog stand, of all things, could affect real change there. It's a good story: The unfeeling internet hordes pulling together to fund a rural hotdog stand in Reform, Alabama. That is something I want to be part of. "Doobie's Dog House" is a name worthy of headlines. I want confused journalists to try to figure out what the gently caress happened, why it happened, and how they can possibly convey the idea of crowdfunding to their readers. It'll be like when CNN tries to explain memes. At the very least, this has the potential to make an entire town wonder about Something Awful. Someday, I would like to drive to Doobie's Dog House, eat a hotdog, and think of goons.

To finally answer your question about our motivations, it's definitely the third option. We are good and bad meats processed together and extruded as 6 foot tall tubes, both cynical and kind, complicated and salty. Goons are actual hotdogs. I pledged $25 for both entertainment and charity. If this works and there's a hungry Alabama goon who wants my hotdogs, they can have them. Just please take pictures so it's like a child sponsorship charity, only for meat tubes instead of impoverished children. If the Kickstarter fails, then I will have paid nothing and told a guy that I admire his efforts and his gumption.

I made my doobie dogs!

It's more hilarious with the cheese on top.

This is magical. I personally did a complete 180 on this Kickstarter. A few weeks ago, I absolutely tore into his hotdog pictures and then I gradually became entranced, curious, filled with nostalgia and warm fuzzy feelings for this Alabama Hotdog Man's humble project.

I think what we've all discovered is that it's representative of something much greater.

He's not a goon. Nobody here knows the hotdog guy. Heck, I don't even know if he has yet heard the name "Somethingawful." I suppose that is part of the beauty of this.

We haven't talked too much about the town where this Kickstarter is from, but I think that's part of the story: Reform, Alabama. Named apparently by an irate preacher. Population: 1675. Median household income: $15k. 45% African Americans. It has a a Dollar General, a Subway, a small grocery store, and some gas stations. Google maps comically labels nothing but three cemeteries and an airport.

It's like a place we all picture in our minds when we think of proverbial small town America. Heck, if you walk the town there are American flags down the entire stretch of the road. But this place has lost a fifth of its population in 10 years. Incomes, already poverty-line, have dropped 25% in a decade. Exactly a year ago, a storm wrecked the place. It decimated a thrift store (now rebuilt) that is right next to where Doobie's Dog House will be located. I tell you all of this just to make a round-about point: A humble hotdog stand, of all the things in the world, could help this town. It could affect real change.

Hotdogs are hilarious. They're also universal, a sort of basic meat currency. And they're edible time machines. They bring us back to child-like states of glee and energy. If you eat a hotdog, you get to travel back to an age when you thought that anything was possible, you could do anything, you could become anyone.

Reform, Alabama could probably use a few hotdog-shaped time machines.

All that we ask is that, if Doobie's Dog House fails, it'll be spectacular, like a tire fire but with hotdogs. A trucker driving through town will stop to refill his rig with diesel and stare at the plume of brown smoke and ask the attendant, "What's with the popping noises." The gas man will reply, slowly, "Them are frog dogs."

The town will be revitalized from an unexpected number of people coming from miles around to inspect the curious, never-ending hotdog fire. "Why don't the flames go out?" They will ask. A grizzled old woman will hobble up, wave her cane at the fire and say, "Never got a proper vent hood. That was his first mistake." But the unseen truth will be that a busted sewage line and a town that eats nothing but food from a Dollar General makes for fantastic methane production.

Hotdog man will leave the town of Reform, run out by a horde of angry people. A young boy will ask, "Why's he running?" and the gas man will reply, "Because we have to chase him. Because he's the hero Reform deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because Doobie can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dog Knight."

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Sir this is a doobie dogs drive thru.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

This is art

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Smugworth posted:

This is fart

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Jello old friend

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Prefer a burger?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

:hehe:

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Food in aspic is making a comeback, starting with burgers and hotdogs. Next time you're with your friends and see burgers or hotdogs in aspic, turn to your friends and with a wink remark, "Mmm, aspic!" so they'll know you're in the know.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
shout out to these little buggers. they aren't real hot dogs but they try hard. Mini hot-dog buns should be easier to find

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

2/5 needs more aspic

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Tato posted:

shout out to these little buggers. they aren't real hot dogs but they try hard. Mini hot-dog buns should be easier to find

Vienna sausages. Spam rods.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I went to a grocery store with a friend once and he pointed those out and I thought they looked gross. He bought a can and when we left he opened it and started eating them with his fingers.

Why yes, he was about 350lbs.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Yeah, I'm into red meat

And the brown meat too

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

It's funny in retrospect but poverty food really helped me out as a kid. If you a loving in the STRUGGLE, a pack of hot dogs and a couple ramens can keep you moving.

Now I can critique the extremely fancy hot dog and hamburger establishments around because Street cred.

Sorry my lambos outside purring, gotta hit the go button if you know what I mean, namaste, vegan4l

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
mmmm rear end pick

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

mmmm rear end pick

Sorry honey did you want more olives or cherries?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Why is milk the 4th ingredient in these? Is that normal?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

I’d give the red hot vinegar franks a try. gently caress that pickled bologna though :barf:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I went to a grocery store with a friend once and he pointed those out and I thought they looked gross. He bought a can and when we left he opened it and started eating them with his fingers.

Why yes, he was about 350lbs.

Egh, they're AWFUL.

I'd be willing to throw down on pickled sausage if there was a beer to wash it down, but not even that for the canned ones. I bought them once as an adult just to see. Noooo thanks.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Big Beef City posted:

Egh, they're AWFUL.

I'd be willing to throw down on pickled sausage if there was a beer to wash it down, but not even that for the canned ones. I bought them once as an adult just to see. Noooo thanks.

I don't know, vienna sausages canned in beer could really take off. Tasty sausage and a delicious beer to wash them down, all in one

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Potted meat is even worse.

It must be a grim loving scene at the Armour canned meat factory.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
“America’s Favorite” [Citation Needed]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
well trump was technically by a certain measure also america's favorite for a period of time, so