Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Infidel Castro posted:

Survivor Series 97 was in Montreal, and Bret is from Calgary, which is nowhere near Quebec.

All of Canada is Brett's hometown area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Right. Didn't want to lose in Canada and didn't want to lose to Michaels. That was all he asked for. Vince made him do both.

Also, remember that Vince is the one that offered Bret the crazy 20 year contract and almost immediately pulled it back. And he used the classic Vince move of "if you don't play ball I'm going to give you lovely matches where you always lose."

The stories about how Bret acted both on camera and off tend to be consistent enough to be believable. He probably really did love the company, hated the Attitude mentality, clashed with Michaels, and was generally looked up to and set a good example for most of his tenure.

And sure, Hart certainly had his own role in making Montreal happen, and he may have been a primadonna, but if you have to figure out who the rear end in a top hat is, and McMahon is an option, then it's not a hard question.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Also, lol at "it's his job, tough poo poo." Like employers never act horribly to coerce employees or make their lives miserable or play favorites. Just because it's wrestling doesn't make that okay.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Mini-Estrella wrestling (Spanish for Small Star) has a long and storied tradition in Mexico's lucha libre. One of the biggest names is Mascarita Sagrada who's an absolutely jaw-dropping athlete

This guy loving owns

Rarity posted:

WWE signed Mascarita Dorada and made him dress up in a bull suit

American wrestling did not understand luchadores until recently. WCW de-masked Rey Mysterio Jr.

Rey Mysterio Jr. posted:

I was strongly against it! I don't think WCW understood what the mask meant to me, to my fans and to my family. It was a very bad move on their behalf. The fans wanted Rey Mysterio with the mask and losing it hurt me a lot. It was also frustrating that it didn't come as the climax to a feud with another masked wrestler, but in a throwaway match. The same thing happened to Juventud and Psicosis and psychologically wise it was a bad move by Eric Bischoff. I think the fans understand that I was in a position where I had no option. I either had to lose my mask or lose my job.

Eclipse12 posted:

My wife is awesome and got me a Mick Foley Cameo video for my birthday.

He sang a birthday song in his Mankind mask
:kimchi:

:hellyeah: Your wife rules

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Eclipse12 posted:

Right. Didn't want to lose in Canada and didn't want to lose to Michaels. That was all he asked for. Vince made him do both.

Also, remember that Vince is the one that offered Bret the crazy 20 year contract and almost immediately pulled it back. And he used the classic Vince move of "if you don't play ball I'm going to give you lovely matches where you always lose."

The stories about how Bret acted both on camera and off tend to be consistent enough to be believable. He probably really did love the company, hated the Attitude mentality, clashed with Michaels, and was generally looked up to and set a good example for most of his tenure.

And sure, Hart certainly had his own role in making Montreal happen, and he may have been a primadonna, but if you have to figure out who the rear end in a top hat is, and McMahon is an option, then it's not a hard question.

Dang. That's like how Ric Flair was big in his home territory of North Carolina and should have been a no-brainer for WCW to give him decent matches there to send fans home happy. Instead they insisted on humiliating or burying him at the shows, annoying the Carolina crowds to the point where they had to give away thousands of tickets to fill arenas.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Eclipse12 posted:

I love Bret but he had no place in the Attitude era. He really has no other gimmick than being Bret Hart.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Agreed on that.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah I love that dumb headbutt :allears:

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1371625907631357957

There's also a match worth watching earlier, with Marko Stunt (legit a very small guy) wrestling a big hulking muscle guy. They do a really good job of having the big guy just tossing Marko Stunt around like a ragdoll while still managing to pull off some death defying moves of his own.

Timestamped here for everyone's convenience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4cbuWQFcJU&t=1681s

That Marko Stunt match is insanely good

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The main reason they should never unmasked Rey is because everyone realised he looked like he was 12

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
LOL he looks the same face wise as WCW like 25 years ago!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

That's the power of the mask

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Infidel Castro posted:

Survivor Series 97 was in Montreal, and Bret is from Calgary, which is nowhere near Quebec.

Ah gotcha, for some reason I forgot both that, and the fact that it was even called the "Montreal Screwjob" :suicide:

My defense is that it's well-known Vince has a predilection for making people lose and look stupid and basically just eat poo poo whenever they do a PPV or TV match in or near their hometown, so I probably just misremembered it as another example of that kind of thing.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

quote:

Mascarita Sagrada (Spanish for Little Sacred Mask, real name not known,
That is bad rear end.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Raw Report May 31, 1993

Thumbnail is STEINER BROS WITH THEIR HANDS RAISED IN VICTORY BECAUSE THAT'S NOT EVEN A SPOILER, IT'S A FACT OF LIFE!

Hacksaw opens the show with a Memorial Day message, holding that most symbolic of American symbols, a piece of cut pine from Home Depot :911:

TURN DOWN THE DAMNED SIREN I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!

Here we go! Marty Jannetty and Sensational Sherri are here. And now in shamble in Bam Bam Bamelow and Luna. Things get hot and smelly quickly as Sherri pounces on Luna and Bam Bam clobbers Marty.

"I love to see a woman's scalp."

This is already a pretty cool shot, but pretend he jumped from the mat itself and not the turnbuckle, and then it's SUPER COOL.

"Get off me, you weirdo!"

Luna is LOSING HER poo poo

Great match. These guys are putting on a good show.

Sherri shenanigans Bam Bam into a countout, but things are far from over!

Bam Bam pastes Marty, Sherri calls out Luna and starts pounding HER, then Bam Bam holds Sherri while Luna wallops her back, and now Tatanka is here serving up cold justice to Bam Bam.

Oh, and Sherri again loses her shirt, because, well...

After that intense action we get treated to Steiners versus Rich Myers and the Executioner. Good luck, losers, ha ha ha!

Wow, a guy called Executioner! I bet he's badass! A big dark hood, maybe shirtless and huge, wrapped in chains, carries an axe. That could really work...

OR

Skinny guy in black sweatpants, long-sleeve t-shirt, black ski mask

One of the most painful backbreakers I've seen. You know how usually the guy receiving will get a foot down to support his weight?

This guy didn't do that.

"Okay, I trained for this! I can do this!  He's only human!"

"I can't do this! He's not human!"

"Don't be calling anyone a ham and egger here in the WWF."

Steiner Screwdriver. GOOD LORD

Stop, stop, he's already dead

"Shouldn't we be in different weight classes or something?"

Just throwin' a dude

How do guys like Hughes and IRS keep their shirts tucked in? I assume it's sewn into their underwear.

This match was a real ham and egger.

King of the Ring is coming! Brought to you by Pile of Drugs!

"Pile of Drugs: Take 'em"

"Yeah, you're about as sharp as..." McMahon quips at Heenan, totally forgetting to finish the simile, and then the show unceremoniously cuts to a toy commercial.

The toy of Virgil has a "knockout punch," which is impressive because the real Virgil sure as hell don't.

Duggan goes America all over Mark Thomas's rear end. drat, Duggan is FUN. HOOOOOO!

Duggan is leading the crowd in a Pledge of Allegiance on Memorial Day and I'm still lying on the couch and I almost got up and said it too, but then I kinda didn't.

Sean Waltman, 9th grader, comes on TV to say he doesn't want to wrestle Razor Ramone again, even for 5 million bajillion dollars

So Razor takes out his aggression on Roy Tony. Tony Roy?

Roy Toy.

Anyhow, they do a fake-out where this jobber also almost beats Razor and it actually would have been hilarious if Ramone kept losing to schlubs. 

Macho inspires the crowd to chant "1, 2, 3" and they're saying "We want Kid" and Razor is so angry his back hair is bristling.

Macho claims that during King of the Ring "the cream will rise to the top" :D

"It wasn't MY fault you lost to the kid! Please! You have good in you! I know it! You don't have to do this!"

*CRUNCH*

Royal Rumble on SNES! I loved it as a kid! I hate it as an adult!

I was about to say that there was no overt racism in this episode but now Mr Fuji is here really doing an impression that sounds like your drunk dad mocking Mr. Miyagi. 

Today's episode was brought to you by Ham and Eggers.

Eclipse12 fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 17, 2021

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I'm not your Roy Toy

*sexy roooooy*

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Man, Luna was loving cool.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Just give me DX in a few years and don't even bother counting brother!

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Animal-Mother posted:

That is bad rear end.

There have been luchadores that debut in a mask, work their whole careers in it, eventually die, and are buried wearing their mask. All with the public never knowing their faces or real names.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

There have been luchadores that debut in a mask, work their whole careers in it, eventually die, and are buried wearing their mask. All with the public never knowing their faces or real names.

this is what became of d.b. cooper

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

do they still star in their own movies?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Bonzo posted:

There's a whole cottage film industry centered around them, it also exists in the states and Japan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFqrx9KIbyQ

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Bonzo posted:

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

There's a whole cottage film industry centered around them, it also exists in the states and Japan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFqrx9KIbyQ

This may be a repost but I really don't care. It needs to be seen.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Prof. Crocodile posted:

This may be a repost but I really don't care. It needs to be seen.

is that el santo/samson the silver mask man

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Santo made like 50+ movies, then there's the comics, the toys, the TV stuff...

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

he's the only person/people I know that can double-kick a vampire zombie to death on a crucifix.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Santo made like 50+ movies, then there's the comics, the toys, the TV stuff...

yeah i saw the mst3k one, so that's him, right?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

my favorite part of that mst3k movie is that he's in the middle of his investigation of a vampire conspiracy but he's still like "ok well i will be at the arena tonight" then he wrestles a wolfman or something

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

I have not seen this episode, but I'm going with 'yes' based on statistical probability.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

my favorite part of that mst3k movie is that he's in the middle of his investigation of a vampire conspiracy but he's still like "ok well i will be at the arena tonight" then he wrestles a wolfman or something

I am confident in saying that this would be my favorite part of any movie ever.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

There's a very slim chance it's not given that impostors were always willing to try and game a few bucks out of rural theaters, but given the production quality it's almost certainly the man himself

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

So uhhhh this amazing match happened tonight

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1372368960298045444?s=20

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction
Holy gently caress, that is the most brutal thing I've seen in a long time.

What a fantastic match. I think I need to watch AEW more regularly.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

There's a very slim chance it's not given that impostors were always willing to try and game a few bucks out of rural theaters, but given the production quality it's almost certainly the man himself

Did anybody ever get killed over this? Talk about stolen valor :monocle:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I can't handle that kind of poo poo, it's just too bloody.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Too bad, loving watch it. They did it for you!

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Good blade job by Baker. I'll never enjoy thumbtacks though.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
If you don't think this is awesome then gently caress you. Just gently caress you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSrH4TuKq1I

edit: for those who don't speak Japanese: it's a single light tube "deathmatch" where the idea is to be the one to NOT break the light tube. It's incredibly creative and a lot of fun and not too long. They even demonstrate the rules before the match starts!

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 18, 2021

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

verbal enema posted:

That Marko Stunt match is insanely good

Yeah I was seriously impressed considering the quality of matches in most free wrestling shows.

Also I was watching the new Botchamania and ... is Randy Orton feuding with himself now? They had some bit where Randy's masked stalker reveals himself to be ... Randy Orton?

Didn't the WCW do this exact same bit like 30 years ago where Rick Steiner's masked enemy was revealed to be Rick Steiner or something?

E: what the hell is going on in the WWE :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqIuVdxMyo4&t=104s

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Mar 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Elephant Ambush posted:

If you don't think this is awesome then gently caress you. Just gently caress you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSrH4TuKq1I

edit: for those who don't speak Japanese: it's a single light tube "deathmatch" where the idea is to be the one to NOT break the light tube. It's incredibly creative and a lot of fun and not too long. They even demonstrate the rules before the match starts!
Seriously, watch this, everyone!