Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
Howdy. It's your old friend mofolotopo aka Trig Discipline aka Dan. Some of y'all might remember me from my albums The Scientist, Departures, and A Series of Tasteful Nudes way back when, or you might know me as Barnaby's Chair from Hypnospace Outlaw. Or you might remember my samplefuckery projects like Son of Strelka and Hardcore Prophecy.

Anyway, I've finally finished a new album and I thought some of you might like it.

It's called Evergreen, and it's a weird one.

As the thread title says, it's a sort of vocoder-driven story of a crew of malfunctioning robots trying to resurrect their cargo of frozen brains. It's part existential exploration of what it means to be human and part love story. It's full of beeps and boops and field recordings and a bunch of different kinds of synthesized voices. It's miles from anything I've done before, and strange enough that it might just be for me, but hey maybe not.

Probably the hookiest track is Oh, You Temporary Thing if you just want to give it a test drive. If you want to hear the rest of it, here are some options:

Spotify
iTunes/Apple Music
Bandcamp
Soundcloud

It's on most of the other major digital platforms too, so if there's another option you favor you can probably find it there.

Given the vocoder-ness of it some bits aren't as easy to understand as they would be if they were regular voices. I did my best to deal with that, but nothing's perfect so here's a Google doc with the lyrics.

If you do like it and want to share the links, that'd be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Good stuff!!! Grats on the release op

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

it's a dope album OP

the subject matter reminds me a lot of Ayreon, but this is obviously in a completely different musical genre!

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

biosterous posted:

it's a dope album OP

the subject matter reminds me a lot of Ayreon, but this is obviously in a completely different musical genre!

I had never heard of this before but Wikipedia makes it sound like Extremely My Thing!

I also just realized I forgot to mention that the cover art is a reference to the Toynbee Tiles, which are a mysterious bit of street art found all over the Western hemisphere that seem to be made by someone obsessed with a similar idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MAsB_tJ_jk&t=2s

In my own personal head canon (which I guess makes it canon) there's a connection between the two.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
You already know but yea this is gonna be one of my favorite albums of the year. So much detail!

Also Ayreon is total dad prog and is cheesy as heck but I do enjoy it. The Human Equation is probably the closest to matching this thematically.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Gaspy Conana posted:

total dad prog and is cheesy as heck but I do enjoy it.

heck yeah!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUSoR4EdyIo

Gaspy Conana posted:

The Human Equation is probably the closest to matching this thematically.

also yeah that's thematically the closest one. a man is trapped in a coma, and his personified emotions need to help him remember what happened, and whether or not to try and wake up or just accept the coma

it rules

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

I'm diggin this and The Electric Castle is the best Ayreon album.

edit: my girlfriend says its like Ayreon and the Faint had a baby

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
I intentionally took a songwriting/composition approach to this one that was exactly how I don't usually work in an effort to force myself out of my comfort zone. I think it's a measure of how successful that particular effort was that I never seem to know any of the bands people say this one reminds them of.

Gaspy Conana posted:

So much detail!

Oh man, thanks for mentioning that! I really hope people listen to this on headphones or earbuds at least a few times. All of these songs were written and had reasonably polished versions over a year ago; most of the intervening time has been me stressing over details so small that I wonder if anyone will ever hear them.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I gravitate towards extremely dense music maybe because it rewards repeat listens? 'Chunks of sound carefully placed everywhere' is the best genre. Right now Oh, You Temporary Thing + Sail or Anchor into the Survival Machines reprise are my favorite sections. I wish I knew how the music blog world works because this deserves a lot more attention.

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Mar 17, 2021

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
Oh man I wish I knew too. I've been extremely lax about putting this out there so far, but I'm going to try to put some effort in soon. I have a little science thing that's coming out in a couple of weeks that we think may be a big media hit, and I've been doing a bunch of interviews and stuff for that so I just haven't had the energy to promote this too. Maybe this weekend I'll finally get the energy to push it a bit.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

mofolotopo posted:

Oh man I wish I knew too. I've been extremely lax about putting this out there so far, but I'm going to try to put some effort in soon. I have a little science thing that's coming out in a couple of weeks that we think may be a big media hit, and I've been doing a bunch of interviews and stuff for that so I just haven't had the energy to promote this too. Maybe this weekend I'll finally get the energy to push it a bit.
Two words... gently caress Yes!! I've always liked your science based tunes.

Dan, your music has seen me through some dark poo poo... I still find Strelka one of the most calming and zen inducing albums I know and will spruik it to any one of my friends trying to find their way out of an abyss. "Breathing Up My Skin" from Homunculi is on my list of things to be played at my funeral... as exit music for the congregation. "Parallel Universes" is on the list too.

I haven't listened to this yet, but plan to over the weekend when I can devote the time. Looking forward to what I'll find.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Cable Guy posted:

Two words... gently caress Yes!! I've always liked your science based tunes.

Dan, your music has seen me through some dark poo poo... I still find Strelka one of the most calming and zen inducing albums I know and will spruik it to any one of my friends trying to find their way out of an abyss. "Breathing Up My Skin" from Homunculi is on my list of things to be played at my funeral... as exit music for the congregation. "Parallel Universes" is on the list too.

I haven't listened to this yet, but plan to over the weekend when I can devote the time. Looking forward to what I'll find.

Awesome, thanks! I really hope you like it. I think the next one is going to be quicker to come out, and is also sort of in this vein. That said, I thought this one would be an EP and I was planning to finish it in a couple of months...about three years ago.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

mofolotopo posted:

Awesome, thanks! I really hope you like it....
Was a foregone conclusion really.... bought it on Bandcamp yesterday and was immediately smiling.

One of your other albums that seems stuck in digital obscurity is "Make Room For Dada..."

I mean you can still download it on some sites, but I'd really like to be able to share some tracks on it with friends, and then let them decide if they want to download it... particularly track 17... the one about poop. It's... uh... transcendental.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
Well then Make Room for Doo Doo

For real that album was basically just me learning to make music on computers and doing absolutely silly stuff in the process.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

mofolotopo posted:

Well then Make Room for Doo Doo

For real that album was basically just me learning to make music on computers and doing absolutely silly stuff in the process.
Seriously... add it to Bandcamp... It's good enough.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Cable Guy posted:

Seriously... add it to Bandcamp... It's good enough.

Oh man that album and Crush the Infamous Thing are nothing but uncleared samples with no strong Fair Use argument for most of them. The only way I can really get away with distributing them at all is not to make any money off of them.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

mofolotopo posted:

Howdy. It's your old friend mofolotopo aka Trig Discipline ... snip... Or you might remember my samplefuckery projects like Son of Strelka and Hardcore Prophecy.

Anyway, I've finally finished a new album and I thought some of you might like it.

It's called Evergreen, and it's a weird one.

As the thread title says, it's a sort of vocoder-driven story of a crew of malfunctioning robots trying to resurrect their cargo of frozen brains. It's part existential exploration of what it means to be human and part love story. It's full of beeps and boops and field recordings and a bunch of different kinds of synthesized voices. It's miles from anything I've done before, and strange enough that it might just be for me, but hey maybe not.

Wow, I had no idea you were the same person. I've thoroughly enjoyed your samplefuckery, and quite a few Trig Disc posts as well.

I'm about a min and a half in on YTmusic, and this strange new direction you've taken for this album is very much what I was looking for! Awesome, thanks for sharing with us!

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

B33rChiller posted:

Wow, I had no idea you were the same person.

Ha! Even after all these years I manage to catch a few people by surprise every time this gets mentioned. I got the TD account for LF shitposting and just never switched back to main, basically.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
I uh... think blocking the Suez might be taking your viral marketing too far Dan....

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
No such thing as bad press.

Headlines tomorrow will be "WORLD HOLDS BREATH FOR RELEASE OF EVERGREEN"

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
Whatever you're doing seems to be working...

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
oh heck, I saw the banner ad and thought "hey that sounds like my kinda thing" and it's you! Sail or Anchor is still one of my favorite tunes ever since you shared it in the synth thread years ago and it's even better now :swoon:

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Your Computer posted:

oh heck, I saw the banner ad and thought "hey that sounds like my kinda thing" and it's you! Sail or Anchor is still one of my favorite tunes ever since you shared it in the synth thread years ago and it's even better now :swoon:

Thank you! Sail or Anchor was the starting point of the whole thing. After I posted it my wife said "it sounds like two lonely spaceships singing to each other", and I liked that image so much that it just started expanding outward from there. The story ended up changing, but that was the seed of it.

Fun fact: the little "shffff shffff shffff" noise I use as a snare sound in Sail or Anchor is actually a recording of Ann Druyan's brain that's on the Voyager Record.

DrKirre
Jun 11, 2014

Am I a mouse dreaming I'm a cat, or a scratching post dreaming I'm a bowl of wet food? Never assume what you see and feel is real!
Mmm... wet food...
Sail or Anchor is amazing - it feels kind of like Lonely Robot meets Ayreon and I love it! It sets off the ol' synesthesia in an interesting fashion with a feeling of two objects spinning around each other, like some sort of deep space waltz. Super cool.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
Thanks! I do love a good waltz, it's just such a compelling rhythm. One funny thing about that song is that it was originally written on classical guitar and has this very lovely fingerpicking pattern to it that is completely missing from the album version. That's actually true of several of the songs on the album. I seriously think I may go back at some point and re-record the entire thing with just guitar and voice, call it Evernude or something.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
For some reason Bandcamp gave me a buttload of download credits, so this is now marked down to pay-what-you-want (including $0) until those run out. I'm perfectly happy to have people snarf it for free, too, because I think that causes them to suggest it more on the app. Please do go and grab it if you haven't yet.

https://danwarren.bandcamp.com/album/evergreen-2

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

mofolotopo posted:

For some reason Bandcamp gave me a buttload of download credits, so this is now marked down to pay-what-you-want (including $0) until those run out. I'm perfectly happy to have people snarf it for free, too, because I think that causes them to suggest it more on the app. Please do go and grab it if you haven't yet.

Thanks so much! This is really great stuff, haunting in places, I love it.

e: I clicked on the banner ad completely by accident so this is a good day

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

mofolotopo posted:

Thank you!

And thank you for Hardcore Prophecy and Son of Strelka. Hardcore Prophecy was my first actual exposure to Dan Carlin, after hearing about him from the Ancient History thread a bunch, and it led to me listening to Hardcore History proper. Also, it was just very therapeutic to listen to, back in 2017. (Like, when I finally got a therapist in 2018, I shared it with him. He loved it.) Something about framing the current moment as being the worst thing that has ever or could ever happen in the world was a good tool for stepping back from personal catastrophizing.

After I'd gotten that value out of Hardcore Prophecy, I think Son of Strelka eclipsed it for me. It has a wonderful surreal feeling to it, where every sentence or sentence fragment almost has meaning and is just vague enough that you can think it applies to anything you're thinking of. (Reminds me of cold reading techniques.) I think I spent hours with it on repeat, driving rovers in Kerbal Space Program.

What I'm saying is, 2017-2018 was a rough time for me and your music was really helpful in multiple ways. Thank you, you rock.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Man I used to rock out to your The Scientist album all the time. I feel like I was just asking some other goons if they remembered who you were because I was looking to give it a listen again.

I don't know poo poo about Band Camp or anything but if you've got a store front or something where I can support your music monetarily let me know.

Good stuff. This made my night.

Edit- I am an idiot. Band Camp lets me buy your album. Gonna do that now.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Vavrek posted:

And thank you for Hardcore Prophecy and Son of Strelka. Hardcore Prophecy was my first actual exposure to Dan Carlin, after hearing about him from the Ancient History thread a bunch, and it led to me listening to Hardcore History proper. Also, it was just very therapeutic to listen to, back in 2017. (Like, when I finally got a therapist in 2018, I shared it with him. He loved it.) Something about framing the current moment as being the worst thing that has ever or could ever happen in the world was a good tool for stepping back from personal catastrophizing.

Oh man that is a weird way to get into Dan Carlin. It's honestly hard for me to go back and listen to/watch Hardcore Prophecy now. When I started that it was supposed to be so ironic and over the top as to be ridiculous, but then everything got bad enough that it just got less and less funny to me with time. I still like it, but it just reads a lot more dark and a lot less funny to me these days. Maybe in a few years it'll start seeming funnier again.

Vavrek posted:

After I'd gotten that value out of Hardcore Prophecy, I think Son of Strelka eclipsed it for me. It has a wonderful surreal feeling to it, where every sentence or sentence fragment almost has meaning and is just vague enough that you can think it applies to anything you're thinking of. (Reminds me of cold reading techniques.) I think I spent hours with it on repeat, driving rovers in Kerbal Space Program.

What I'm saying is, 2017-2018 was a rough time for me and your music was really helpful in multiple ways. Thank you, you rock.

Yeah I definitely think SoS holds up for me better - both for the reasons above and because it is sort of leaving more to the imagination and being less documentary. A large chunk of that comes from how Obama tells a story, and I just need to find more material like that. I was exploring one option about a year ago that was promising.

Hekk posted:

Man I used to rock out to your The Scientist album all the time. I feel like I was just asking some other goons if they remembered who you were because I was looking to give it a listen again.

Band Camp lets me buy your album. Gonna do that now.

Awesome, thanks! And I've still got a zillion more free download credits to burn so if anyone out there wants to get it for free, absolutely do so.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

I love this. If you ever make this a live performance, I would love to light it. I'm a lighting designer and I largely do opera, so this is right up my alley.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

good poo poo. i did not expect the lyrics to hit me as hard as they did. some kind of resonance with my experience raising farm animals as civilization's wheels fall off in slow motion

"and all that dumb poo poo that they told us about our manifest destiny
is gone and forgotten now"

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
is good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultra
Dec 30, 2004

Oh no.
This album is so great, it is in my rotation for music I listen to. Thank you for this