Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Thats the plan thus far.

In retrospect my post looks really whiney but im not going to edit it for posterity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
It's all good, my point was to say gently caress companies for testing for drug metabolites.

What I do outside of work is my business, as long as I'm sober on the clock, they can gently caress off with that poo poo.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I have never had a drug tested job but surely they wouldn't bother regularly testing you just because they ctrl-v'd into the contract by mistake? poo poo costs money after all

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I have no idea if it is a ctrl v situation or not for this specific part of the listing, and I won't until they get back to me and I speak to someone I guess. It could be company wide policy, as the company is based out of another state and the vast majority of employees are field people who get tested regularly for liability purposes.

Its a lovely job for the most of the field people in this career. I have a friend who has a field position with a competitor where he's risen to a good spot with normal hours, but he said for a few years before that he was essentially traveling 6 days a week for work, working 10 hour days, and living in hotels, all for a starting pay of $20/hr. The bar for entry is low and turnover is very high.

His company tried doing a recruiting run in my town a few years ago shanghi style. I was out barhopping and had just smoked a joint when he called me and asked if I wanted to come by another spot. When I got there it was him, his boss, and a few local mutual friends of ours. His boss bought me a beer and went into this big spiel about the job and the pay and the per diem and benefits etc but when he told me the hours I said gently caress no man. I absolutely reeked of cannabis and he noted it and said I should apply in a few weeks to get clean, like he wouldn't take no for an answer. Of the other two guys he was trying to recruit one had just lost his job for a cannabis company (he didn't take the position) and the other one already worked for a competitor with better pay and hours

titty_baby_ fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Mar 18, 2021

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

titty_baby_ posted:

I have no idea if it is a ctrl v situation or not for this specific part of the listing, and I won't until they get back to me and I speak to someone I guess. It could be company wide policy, as the company is based out of another state and the vast majority of employees are field people who get tested regularly for liability purposes.

Generally the drug policies are set by the national office of any particular company and are written so as not to discriminate against different "classes" of employees. People handling equipment or working in the field may get tested sometimes and office employees may never see a test beyond the one they have to do when first hired. Every job I've ever had stipulates that they can test you at random. I have never actually seen someone get tested after being hired, and I know a few people who got to do a post-hire drug test after having a "false positive" on their entry test.

The only time I could see a company trying to randomly test you would be if they were trying to find grounds to fire you. Usually even that is going to be an extra step to get rid of someone.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The correct number of monitors for a job is always one more than the number you have.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

goatface posted:

The correct number of monitors for a job is always one more than the number you have.

The correct resolution is also the next step higher than you currently have.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Boiled Water posted:

The correct resolution is also the next step higher than you currently have.

You say that, but I've found that 4k in the office is pretty great. Snapping to the corners and getting 4x 1080p windows owns. Snapping to the side and getting a portrait view that's 1920 wide owns. I even did a top/bottom split a couple times with extremely wide spreadsheets.

I'm not sure I've encountered a spreadsheet yet where full-screen was required. I'm sure that's coming, though. Usually I just fullscreen when someone is sharing a screen so I can kick back and watch.

My only complaint is that these weak-rear end business laptops don't seem beefy enough to run 2x 4k.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Zarin posted:

I'm not sure I've encountered a spreadsheet yet where full-screen was required.

Lol what? Bigger screen better screen.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Lazyfire posted:

Generally the drug policies are set by the national office of any particular company and are written so as not to discriminate against different "classes" of employees. People handling equipment or working in the field may get tested sometimes and office employees may never see a test beyond the one they have to do when first hired. Every job I've ever had stipulates that they can test you at random. I have never actually seen someone get tested after being hired, and I know a few people who got to do a post-hire drug test after having a "false positive" on their entry test.

The only time I could see a company trying to randomly test you would be if they were trying to find grounds to fire you. Usually even that is going to be an extra step to get rid of someone.

The company I work for did monthly random drug testing, pre-covid anyway. In the 5+ years I've worked here I've been pulled maybe 3 or 4 times. We are a factory, and the "downstairs" people (production, electrical, quality control, etc) are subjected to testing. The "upstairs" admin people (front desk, sales, couple of engineers, the owner, HR, some managers that don't do much hands on) are exempt from the pool and probably didn't even have to have to drug test to get hired.

If you piss hot, you now get suspended for a few days and are subjected to tests for the next 3 months at your own cost. They stopped firing people for weed though after they lost a few good employees.

We also had a pretty reliable, solid guy doing prep work for us that got random tested and then pretty much just walked out of the building and never came back because he knew he was going to fail it. Meth, apparently.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

That's why I super loved NYC banning pre-employment drug tests for a majority of workers. It made no sense to be tested for weed if it made no bearing on my ability to do my job.

https://twitter.com/NYCCHR/status/1259944212340056065

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

New entry in the saga of "poo poo my work pulls".

• Hey, we're going to make this a mini department I'd like you to lead. You and the person you told us we shouldn't hire who has refused to carry their weight since day 1 despite repeated efforts to get them to.
  • Oh, we're expanding your team, by the way - they're already hired and starting Monday. Clearly there was no need to make sure we hired a baseline-capable candidate for the job, since we did the interview/offer on the one day in 7 months that you were gone a full day and we have no goddamn clue what the actual work entails without you here to clarify things.
Cool. Very cool.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

titty_baby_ posted:

I had an interview for a data entry job thatd be full time work from home except for an occasional office visit that I'm waiting to hear back on. As per conditions of employment I'll have to pass a piss test. Annoying but I have enough time ahead to do it no problem.

Welp, I woke up in the middle of the night tonight from my stupid neighbors and when I went to go pee a thought crept into my head: this is just a pre employment piss test and not an ongoing thing, right? The majority of people in this industry work in the field, with heavy equipment, so the normal employees (you could say field people) get tested randomly.

I went and double checked the position and lo and behold, it does say that id get piss tested randomly. Im unsure how true this is because it seems HR just copied the normal field person job listing (which is probably 95% of hires) and used it as a template for this data job, down to questions in the application that are completely irrelevant to the position but relevant to the title of "field person". In my initial call with them I asked about it and they admitted as such.

If it turns out that random piss tests are a condition of employment for a loving work from home data entry job im not going to accept the job offer. Its 2021 in Northern California, you can't randomly piss test computer touchers. If they offered another $10/hr id consider changing my lifestyle that radically but as is the job is just a lateral movement from what I'm doing now, for what's likely worse benefits. I just really hate my current job and want out asap.

Time to keep searching as a back up I guess. Goddammit

https://www.calpeculiarities.com/2017/05/02/random-drug-tests-still-not-advisable/

Random piss tests aren't allowed under normal circumstances in California, so you might be fine.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

TontoCorazon posted:

That's why I super loved NYC banning pre-employment drug tests for a majority of workers. It made no sense to be tested for weed if it made no bearing on my ability to do my job.

https://twitter.com/NYCCHR/status/1259944212340056065

I mean since weed can be found in your system even when you are by no means impaired it makes no sense for any kind of job, there's not a valid reason why an employer should be allowed to control what you're doing outside of paid working hours assuming it doesn't influence your working hours.

OTOH I work in a field where they do random drug tests (and actually do them, I've had several jobs where they said they did but it never once happened. This one an assortment of people do get popped monthly, one guy just failed in fact!) and to be honest while I miss weed a bit it was actually not the worst excuse to quit.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SkyeAuroline posted:

• Hey, we're going to make this a mini department I'd like you to lead. You and the person you told us we shouldn't hire who has refused to carry their weight since day 1 despite repeated efforts to get them to.
  • Oh, we're expanding your team, by the way - they're already hired and starting Monday. Clearly there was no need to make sure we hired a baseline-capable candidate for the job, since we did the interview/offer on the one day in 7 months that you were gone a full day and we have no goddamn clue what the actual work entails without you here to clarify things.
Cool. Very cool.

Consider burning it to the floor.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

goatface posted:

Consider burning it to the floor.

I've considered it but I would need an alternative lined up first and nobody responds to applications.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

SkyeAuroline posted:

Cool. Very cool.

Can you get rid of them by allocating a task they should be able to do and writing them up once a week for not doing the work until they're fired?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Outrail posted:

Can you get rid of them by allocating a task they should be able to do and writing them up once a week for not doing the work until they're fired?

No, because I should have mentioned that while I'm responsible for their failures I'm not actually given any power to encourage doing things right or to give doing things wrong any consequences. The classic of "delegating management to a non-management position".

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Screening for weed for any boring office job is hilarious and stupid.
Even the federal government is like, "You're just plugging numbers in to Excel. Don't come to work high and don't bring it with you and you'll be fine."

Hell, the last job I applied for specifically said they don't drug test without cause (in fed parlance that means they won't do it randomly, only if someone suspects you're hosed up at work) and that was for the IRS.

If you're not carrying a gun, operating heavy machinery or an extremely public job, they don't care anymore.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Screening for weed for any boring office job is hilarious and stupid.
Even the federal government is like, "You're just plugging numbers in to Excel. Don't come to work high and don't bring it with you and you'll be fine."

Hell, the last job I applied for specifically said they don't drug test without cause (in fed parlance that means they won't do it randomly, only if someone suspects you're hosed up at work) and that was for the IRS.

If you're not carrying a gun, operating heavy machinery or an extremely public job, they don't care anymore.

Yeah the last government agency I worked for didn't test the regular call center shlubs but did for the emergency response crews.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Oh yeah I talked to a forklift trainer in WA and he said prior to WA legalization, they had many employees wanting to be trained on forklifts as it was seen as a way to move up. They have a policy where if someone is involved in an accident with forklifts, mandatory immediate drug test.

Post-legalization they've had incidents where if a forklift operator is moving pallets and something wasn't wrapped property resulting in broken products (super common), and if someone smoked a week before they test hot and it's treated the same as if they were drunk on the lift, meaning immediate termination. This has led to a sharp drop in employees interested in becoming drivers, and some of the best existing forklift operators who don't smoke have left for better paying construction work as they have the skills and can pass drug tests.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Batterypowered7 posted:

https://www.calpeculiarities.com/2017/05/02/random-drug-tests-still-not-advisable/

Random piss tests aren't allowed under normal circumstances in California, so you might be fine.

Same for Vermont, barring special circumstances (certain government jobs, law enforcement, maybe some others.)

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

this is more of an industry thing than my specific work but people in the non-profit world get so disturbed and upset if you have your camera off. the expectation is for everyone to have video on, all the time. sometimes in meetings people will even ask for it. i do my best to stand against this by never turning my camera on unless explicitly ordered to.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Some more pointless delegatory bullshit at my work. My department has just gotten a grant that they're planning on implementing this summer. Theyve been going on these meetings/hikes with restoration groups in the south county, and theres another one planned for tomorrow apparently.

My annoying coworker is managing the grant and addressed an email to my director and other coworker planning for the meeting tomorrow, and in the email she said since I'm not on this grant shed prefer me to stay back and do stuff around the office. Number one, if your asking me to do something why didn't u cc me (not ccd on it, its just her my other coworker and director), number two I actually am on this grant because i helped prepare the finished draft which has my name and resume and title written into the budget. Theyre planning on sending me and other coworker to multiple trainings specifically to implement this grant, and im supposed to be working with the granting agency on some mapping component soon as well.

I think I'm basically being cut out because this grant is said annoying coworkers baby and very related to what they're attending school for. I dont really care either way, but if you're going to to expect anything out of me you should at least bother to cc me regarding it.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

this is more of an industry thing than my specific work but people in the non-profit world get so disturbed and upset if you have your camera off. the expectation is for everyone to have video on, all the time. sometimes in meetings people will even ask for it. i do my best to stand against this by never turning my camera on unless explicitly ordered to.

Dang that's no good. I've had luck so far reading the room. One on ones or small meetings, sure. Answering questions for people with their cameras off or mega-meetings when I'm not talking? Off it goes.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Batterypowered7 posted:

The company I'll be working for may fall under either of those exceptions unfortunately.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Can you just not smoke for like a few weeks and bet on your system clearing out?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

AHH F/UGH posted:

Can you just not smoke for like a few weeks and bet on your system clearing out?

90 days average to be fully clean.
e: for everything, individual types of tests have different windows but that's "clear on everything"

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 18, 2021

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I've beaten piss tests in 2 weeks with exercise and water. Im not particularly worried about beating the initial one, i just don't want to be looking over my shoulder for a random one

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Hypothetically if you haven’t built it up in your system you could p easily smoke Friday night and be clean by monday, but I’ve never bothered trying that because I feel like I’d just waste the weed feeling anxious.

My job technically overlaps with the department of transportation both in Washington and Oregon so it’s gonna be a long time before testing isn’t a thing. Even my bosses get tested, though theirs are on annual timers instead of completely random which imo kind of eliminates the whole point. I wish they did that for the rest of us.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I worked in factories during the summer in my youth. I remember a guy getting fired because they found a few empty cans of Stella balanced on his machine (can't remember if it was in the printing works or the injection moulding plant) that he forgot to take away at the end of his night shift.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

ArbitraryC posted:

Hypothetically if you haven’t built it up in your system you could p easily smoke Friday night and be clean by monday, but I’ve never bothered trying that because I feel like I’d just waste the weed feeling anxious.

This assumes you're not a regular smoker but yeah. A few puffs as a one-off will clear up in a few days. My daily habit would probably take two or three weeks or more to come clean. Luckily my board of old fogeys has heel turned over the last 12 months and decided they're okay taking donations from pot companies because 'We take brewery donations and it'd show an unacceptable moral bias to take cash from one legal narcotic but not the other'. I'm trying to figure out the legalities of handing out joints to volunteers as a recruitment tool. :canada:

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

goatface posted:

I worked in factories during the summer in my youth. I remember a guy getting fired because they found a few empty cans of Stella balanced on his machine (can't remember if it was in the printing works or the injection moulding plant) that he forgot to take away at the end of his night shift.

if he was getting drunk enough to forget to cover his tracks that might have been the right call. i don't know, i just work here.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

ben shapino posted:

if he was getting drunk enough to forget to cover his tracks that might have been the right call. i don't know, i just work here.

Yeah, I'm pretty laissez-faire about how people spend their time off work but drinking in a factory with heavy equipment is a bit much. No way I'd want to be in a warehouse if a forklift operator was drinking, they had enough accidents sober and I don't need to see safety photos of what "degloving" is more than once.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
as a grass snorter, the idea of going to work carrying anything or being under the influence sounds nightmarish. even working from home, when I’m on the clock, I’m off the jazz cigs. Work-life balance is v important to me.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I wouldn't want ro ruin my buzz with work bullshit! Talk about a bummer.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Work is definitely a waste of good weed

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

You can tell how much people teleconferenced before COVID wfh by their response to mandatory cameras. On a scale from never to constantly:

Have it turned on because it's policy
Randomly on and off constantly as they sneakily hide going to the bathroom or eating lunch
Rolling your eyes IRL and saying "my cameras broke"
Not even acknowledging a personal request to turn your camera on

There's a time and a place for cameras in teleconferencing and it's not most calls. The last thing you want when someone is sharing their screen or a presentation is a peanut gallery of randos picking their nose.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

SkyeAuroline posted:

Cool. Very cool.

Time to start looking for a new job.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

goatface posted:

This is nonsensical.

I work in tech, in the UK, and we have people leaving unopened wine bottles, 6ers of beer, sometimes bottles of liquor on their desk. Either just to have them there for a special occasion, or just storing them there after they bought/won them and can't be arsed to take them home, or they bought that day and will be taking them home later.

No one gives a poo poo, and no one should; you're not drinking on the job at your desk or something, so why would someone care?

Same might be true for your factory co-worker, he just kept his tinnies on his machine and forgot to take them home later. No big deal. Not a loving firing offense in the least bit.

zedprime posted:

You can tell how much people teleconferenced before COVID wfh by their response to mandatory cameras. On a scale from never to constantly:

Have it turned on because it's policy
Randomly on and off constantly as they sneakily hide going to the bathroom or eating lunch
Rolling your eyes IRL and saying "my cameras broke"
Not even acknowledging a personal request to turn your camera on

There's a time and a place for cameras in teleconferencing and it's not most calls. The last thing you want when someone is sharing their screen or a presentation is a peanut gallery of randos picking their nose.

I agree with this. I don't turn mine on unless it's a 1:1 with my boss and she has hers on, or if it's an interview. Otherwise it remains off. I'm not going to shave daily and put on a nice ironed shirt just for daily conference calls. Stubble and T shirts erryday.

Steakandchips fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Y'all got it backwards, get high and drunk at work so that the horror of dealing with people and doing boring poo poo is diminished, then at home be sober for the things you actually want to enjoy and focus on and have interest in

big brain poo poo