Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I think Jupiter Ascending being such a good film ruined any chances of Alita succeeding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

fart simpson posted:

yes, it was. it surely wasn't bad because james cameron is a master of his craft (unlike zack snyder). but it was just a bland action movie and nothing is really memorable other than the huge cgi eyes and there wasnt much of an emotional connection with any of the characters or lacking that, any truly cool action set pieces

That's not who directed the movie

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

oh sorry. i forgot most of alita anyway but it was pretty mediocre

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

hey serious poster fart simpson - do you also think Zack Snyder just stumbles into his action scenes by accident and hopes for the best? and that it's just blind luck he develops interesting characters and shots?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Vintersorg posted:

hey serious poster fart simpson - do you also think Zack Snyder just stumbles into his action scenes by accident and hopes for the best? and that it's just blind luck he develops interesting characters and shots?

no, i think he doesn't develop interesting characters or shots

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
serious poster fart simpson, did you waste four hours of your time watching a film you know you wouldn't like so you can try to own people on the internet, or did you not watch it and are just pretending?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

This movie was an incredible slog that kept most, if not all of what was terrible about the original, and then added nothing of substance to double its length, you guys are out of your minds lol

I'm sorry about your blindness

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Horizon Burning posted:

serious poster fart simpson, did you waste four hours of your time watching a film you know you wouldn't like so you can try to own people on the internet, or did you not watch it and are just pretending?

my wife wanted to watch it and i got dragged in

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

if you arent willing to watching something for 4 hours to own someone then what are you even posting for

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Horizon Burning posted:

This is the weird thing to me. If I disliked a director I would simply not watch four hours of his undiluted vision. Especially immediately after it's released.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

doomisland posted:

if you arent willing to watching something for 4 hours to own someone then what are you even posting for

there's also this. the pure love of posting is powerful motivation.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

fart simpson posted:

my wife wanted to watch it and i got dragged in

At four in the morning?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So what does our lord and savior Joker Christ end up doing in the movie

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

At four in the morning?

im in china. we started it at 4 pm

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

teagone posted:

Nothing needed to be cut. The movie needed 4 hours to match the scope/scale. Which is fine imo. That 4 hours was breezy as hell for me.

I'm not the artist, and I've been conditioned by years of watching Hollywood films. I'm aware of the bias, but it also informs how I watched this film.

I definitely think some parts could have been cut, could have helped the flow of the film, and we wouldn't have missed out on any of the story.

Off the top of my head
Wonder Woman/Alfred tea scene
Martian Manhunter impersonating Martha Kent - it could have easily been left as just a caring Mother-in-law looking after Lois.
A few of the slower moments between Dr. Silas and Ryan Choi
Lex Luthor/Deathstroke scene
Knightmare epilogue scene

We'd still be looking at a long film, maybe 3 hours and 45 minutes.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

RBA Starblade posted:

Talking poo poo to Batman

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

He pointificates about SOCIETY and razzes batman

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

RBA Starblade posted:

literally nothing. he only showed up in one of batman's dreams after the movie ended.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

fart simpson posted:

im in china. we started it at 4 pm

Incorrect. China does not exist

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

He gets scared because Batman says he's going to loving kill him slowly

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
The (three?) slow motion lighting zaps we got to see Zeus do were excellent. I do think that "the history lesson" scene kind of sets you up for a more epic film than you get (that is, a fight in an abandoned power station with a henchman figure); LOTR has a similar sweeping sort of history lesson but the film kind of makes good on that promise by the end (of the trilogy, admittedly).

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
So does the Snyder cut really do much to improve the Whedon cut from something mediocre and barely memorable to something worth sitting for 4 hours watching? I can't imagine it does all that much to improve on the flaws of the original aside from adding more context and character development.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Mr. Funktastic posted:

So does the Snyder cut really do much to improve the Whedon cut from something mediocre and barely memorable to something worth sitting for 4 hours watching? I can't imagine it does all that much to improve on the flaws of the original aside from adding more context and character development.

Yes, it does. It's knight and day difference

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Mr. Funktastic posted:

It does. If you're not a Snyder fan you probably won't like it because it's four hours of his kinda poo poo, but it's very different from the theatrical cut.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Mr. Funktastic posted:

It's a completely different movie with a few of the same plot beats.

Even the same scenes are different.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I'm not sure where to start with my praise for this film. It's exactly my brand of superhero poo poo. So much detail, so much character, so much heart - the action, the score! What WB and Whedon did to this film is abominable. I wonder which of them will point fingers first?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Mr. Funktastic posted:

The Whedon film includes thirty minutes of footage Snyder shot.

This film includes four hours.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Mr. Funktastic posted:

apparently if you have the right brain worms then yes it does as evidenced by posters in this thread

it does add character development yes. for example in the original steppenwolf is generic bad guy who just loves to be evil. now he’s been elevated to generic henchman who wants to impress his generic bad guy boss who just loves to be evil

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Mr. Funktastic posted:

I think it's going to depend on where you fall when you watch films.

Does shot composition/editing/design/and music elevate your enjoyment of film? Can you appreciate these aspects independently from the plot? Then yes.
Do you care about character development? Then yes.
Do you enjoy cool action scenes? Then yes.
Are you only concerned about the plot beats? Then no.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice

LesterGroans posted:

It does. If you're not a Snyder fan you probably won't like it because it's four hours of his kinda poo poo, but it's very different from the theatrical cut.

I thought 300 and Watchmen were pretty good. Sounds like it's actually living up to the hype based on the knee jerk reactions in the thread at least so I might check it out.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

fart simpson posted:

apparently if you have the right brain worms then yes it does as evidenced by posters in this thread

it does add character development yes. for example in the original steppenwolf is generic bad guy who just loves to be evil. now he’s been elevated to generic henchman who wants to impress his generic bad guy boss who just loves to be evil

This thread has people who like movies for visuals and sound, so simple things like well directed sequences instead of TV framed weirdness and an actual good score that carries over thematic relevance goes far here. As opposed to viewing films like a Wikipedia summary.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

fart simpson posted:

gently caress off with the brain worms poo poo and equating liking this movie to having a mental disorder. Either come here to discuss things or get the gently caress outta here you parasite.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Mr. Funktastic posted:

I thought 300 and Watchmen were pretty good. Sounds like it's actually living up to the hype based on the knee jerk reactions in the thread at least so I might check it out.

This movie is like 300 and Watchmen but dialed up an extra notch from those.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

fart simpson posted:

may you seethe and cope, amen

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

roffels posted:

I'm not the artist, and I've been conditioned by years of watching Hollywood films. I'm aware of the bias, but it also informs how I watched this film.

I'm aware of my bias, and don't give a gently caress lol. I love that it's 4 hours long. This is some pure rear end cape poo poo and it is incredible.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
BROKE: Dad Suicide by Tornado

BESPOKE: Dad Suicide by X-Ray

(yeah, some of the starlabs scenes could have been cut... all of the heating stuff)

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Whedon cut isn't just a different edit. It has ADR in places to add superfluous lines, extra rear end shots for...reasons, extra scenes that don't really add anything except make characters act like dicks or make fun of them.

A comparison video of Whedon and Snyder is going to be hilarious.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
This movie loving owns, lmao.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

fart simpson posted:

Meanwhile, if you have your head stuck up your rear end, as evidenced by this poster, you won't like it at all. So YMMV!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

fart simpson posted:

I know you're a bit riled up right now, but is it necessary to insult people when you've haven't said much but "it's bad" over and over? Nothing said in this thread is that far off from what the general reviews have been saying,