Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

LesterGroans posted:

Alita was good, and James Cameron just produced it.

Alita was good but also kinda a jumbled mess that didn't quite reach the great action crescendo that it clearly had in it. Running with the original anime's 90s deconstruction of a 60s genre ended up leaving it a few too many degrees of separation away from 2010s audiences.

Snyder's Justice League, however, is basically exactly the kind of thing you'd see on comicbook store shelves in the 00s era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

McCloud posted:

Meanwhile, if you have your head stuck up your rear end, as evidenced by this poster, you won't like it at all. So YMMV!

yes you probably already know if you’re going to like it

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
If there was a version of Alita that was 4 hours of James Cameron instead of 2 hours of Robert Rodriguez I would definitely want to watch that Cameron Cut

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

KVeezy3 posted:

I know you're a bit riled up right now, but is it necessary to insult people when you've haven't said much but "it's bad" over and over? Nothing said in this thread is that far off from what the general reviews have been saying,

i guess it’s not necessary, no.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

fart simpson posted:

yes you probably already know if you’re going to like it

I tuned in hoping for a Cats-level trainwreck, but ended up being pleasantly surprised by when I ended up getting a pretty good movie instead.

Like, I probably would have had more fun if everything was as dumb and off-the-rails as that last dream scene. But I'm glad it turned out how it did instead. Given how much superheroes are still dominating the movies it's better if there is more variety to the way the genre is approached.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The United States posted:

If there was a version of Alita that was 4 hours of James Cameron instead of 2 hours of Robert Rodriguez I would definitely want to watch that Cameron Cut

Hard loving same.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Glad to hear this is good, gotta wait 30 more hours for my own viewing (unless I am weak and sneak a peak during the work day lol)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

LesterGroans posted:

Talking poo poo to Batman

fart simpson posted:

literally nothing. he only showed up in one of batman's dreams after the movie ended.

Lame but good to know this is skippable then

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

Lame but good to know this is skippable then

Why? He's genuinely pretty good in his short scene.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Darko posted:

The thing that makes Leto so hateable imo is that he's always genuinely pretty good. If he were a worse actor, you'd never see him.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

The Snyder cut is pretty embarrassingly pro cop and more than anything this will be why it bombs.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Blind Rasputin posted:

The Snyder cut is pretty embarrassingly pro cop and more than anything this will be why it bombs.

What? You mean that one cop that had a grand total of like 2 minutes of screentime saying hi to Lois?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Darko posted:

I'm not watching four hours for that but I'll look it up on youtube

quote:

That's superheroes in general

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

McCloud posted:

What? You mean that one cop that had a grand total of like 2 minutes of screentime saying hi to Lois?

We need to stop humanizing police in movies. I’ve got a legit gripe of this film with it portraying cops as decent people. We all know they would wage war against superheroes because they threaten the established power structure that law enforcement has.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Watched this last night, I enjoyed it, but I will say this; unless you already really like comic book movies, do not waste your time watching this new cut. At 4 hours long, it is the most over indulgent comic book movie ever. It's almost nuts to me that Snyder bothered to even cut the other hour he had, it must have been scenes with incomplete CGI and other effects. Movie is not going to change anyone's mind about comic book films.

RBA Starblade posted:

So what does our lord and savior Joker Christ end up doing in the movie

Was that a CGI character? Something about the Joker looked way off to my brain but I couldn't tell if it was just because of Snyders weird artist choices.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

fart simpson posted:

im in china. we started it at 4 pm

It’s not available in China.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

El Scandelouse posted:

We need to stop humanizing police in movies. I’ve got a legit gripe of this film with it portraying cops as decent people. We all know they would wage war against superheroes because they threaten the established power structure that law enforcement has.

In the movies defense, maybe one or two for sure die because of Superman, you just don't see it happen, but it's pretty obvious.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

I said come in! posted:

Watched this last night, I enjoyed it, but I will say this; unless you already really like comic book movies, do not waste your time watching this new cut. At 4 hours long, it is the most over indulgent comic book movie ever. It's almost nuts to me that Snyder bothered to even cut the other hour he had, it must have been scenes with incomplete CGI and other effects. Movie is not going to change anyone's mind about comic book films.

Was that a CGI character? Something about the Joker looked way off to my brain but I couldn't tell if it was just because of Snyders weird artist choices.

His Joker makeup was just caked on an inch thick

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

El Scandelouse posted:

You're not wrong, but i also don't think this film qualified as procop because the one cop with screentime wasn't a jerk

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cops are bad guys in real life, and should be bad guys in movies every single time, but unfortunately Hollywood and cop unions have a weird mob like relationship that spans decades. I just blurt out all cops are bastards at my screen, and get on with my life.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Blind Rasputin posted:

lmao

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

In one scene, Cyborg, an African American, is seen saving a Caucasian police officer from almost certain death. However, if one watches the scene carefully as it plays out, they might notice something very concerning. Instead of Cyborg saying, “move!” or, “out of the way!” or just simply picking the cop up and moving him (like the superheroes have done to nearly every single other human they save in every other scene of the movie); Cyborg instead meekly says to the cop, “sir, you might want to not stand there.” As if it’s a suggestion. It becomes painfully apparent that despite all we have learned this past year, WB and Zack Snyder would like to remind its viewers that cops still hold all the power in the equation. Cops are still the ultimate arbiters of authority and even superheroes dare not forget this, let alone HBO subscribers. I turned the movie off at that point and refuse to finish it. People are talking about this on Twitter.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

fart simpson posted:

alita was incredibly mediocre

alita was good, my friend

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door

Blind Rasputin posted:

In one scene, Cyborg, an African American, is seen saving a Caucasian police officer from almost certain death. However, if one watches the scene carefully as it plays out, they might notice something very concerning. Instead of Cyborg saying, “move!” or, “out of the way!” or just simply picking the cop up and moving him (like the superheroes have done to nearly every single other human they save in every other scene of the movie); Cyborg instead meekly says to the cop, “sir, you might want to not stand there.” As if it’s a suggestion. It becomes painfully apparent that despite all we have learned this past year, WB and Zack Snyder would like to remind its viewers that cops still hold all the power in the equation. Cops are still the ultimate arbiters of authority and even superheroes dare not forget this, let alone HBO subscribers. I turned the movie off at that point and refuse to finish it. People are talking about this on Twitter.

Is this a joke post?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Blind Rasputin posted:

Lmao ok you got me

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

STEPPENWOLF charges forward, swinging his axe. A SHITHEAD POLICE OFFER is nearby.

CYBORG: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEuU64Zt4B0

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

With all due respect, Twitter only ever scraps the bottom of the barrel for opinions and takes. If it's something you found there, then you can probably take it as a safe sign to ignore. You wrote way too much for such an insignificant scene.

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

I said come in! posted:

With all due respect, Twitter only ever scraps the bottom of the barrel for opinions and takes. If it's something you found there, then you can probably take it as a safe sign to ignore. You wrote way too much for such an insignificant scene.

Blind Rasputin really has a point here. He has a critical eye for this type of thing.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Rabelais D posted:

Is this a joke post?

lol almost certainly

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

I said come in! posted:

Bad chroma key/blue screening.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Actual plot question, I probably missed something here but how did Darkseid just kinda forget that the The anti-life equation, and all three motherboxes were left behind on earth after his last big battle? Steppenwolf has that revelation that the 3rd box and The anti-life equation are on the very planet he is on right now, but like no poo poo? Why would they leave the place you left them at? I guess you could assume after like 5000 years they would move planets.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

fart simpson posted:

oh sorry. i forgot most of alita anyway but it was pretty mediocre

Working hard to put your review of JL into context here.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Blind Rasputin posted:

I mean, cops do hold all the power in the equation. Why is it good to pretend that this isn't the case?

You might enjoy more the prior film in the trilogy, Batman v Superman, which criticizes the police more systematically than the Nolan trilogy which deems it a 'bad apples' situation.

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

I said come in! posted:

Actual plot question, I probably missed something here but how did Darkseid just kinda forget that the The anti-life equation, and all three motherboxes were left behind on earth after his last big battle? Steppenwolf has that revelation that the 3rd box and The anti-life equation are on the very planet he is on right now, but like no poo poo? Why would they leave the place you left them at? I guess you could assume after like 5000 years they would move planets.

I think it was just a case of Steppenwolf going after the motherboxes and then by dumb luck realizing the anti-live equation was also on Earth (which Darkseid had not known).

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Real talk, those cops who watch over the Kryptonian hand-me-downs immediately ready pistols as soon as Superman touches down. Paying too much respect, indeed.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

KVeezy3 posted:

I mean, cops do hold all the power in the equation. Why is it good to pretend that this isn't the case?

You might enjoy more the prior film in the trilogy, Batman v Superman, which criticizes the police more systematically than the Nolan trilogy which deems it a 'bad apples' situation.

Nolan says the police need to go into a Lazarus Pit to fix them, and even still, not really, which is why Robin quits.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

jiffynuts posted:

I think it was just a case of Steppenwolf going after the motherboxes and then by dumb luck realizing the anti-live equation was also on Earth (which Darkseid had not known).

Ooooh I understand now, I thought the anti-life equation was something Darkseid had summoned on Earth himself, but needed the motherboxes to use.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I said come in! posted:

Ooooh I understand now, I thought the anti-life equation was something Darkseid had summoned on Earth himself, but needed the motherboxes to use.

They talk about Darkseid finding some kind of great cosmic power on Earth, and then he hits the ground and all the glyphs start showing up so presumably that's him realizing that the anti-life equation is there. But then he gets nearly killed and has to be dragged away, so presumably while fleeing they didn't really keep track of exactly where they were fleeing from and once he was ready to get back to it he could only point in the general direction of Earth (a general direction that probably included hundreds of thousands of other worlds).

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
The antilife stuff confused me too, to be honest. They seemed to be hinting that part of it was that giant sigil that Steppenwolf got called to? Also, they just forgot what planet they left their motherboxes on? Have they been conquering in the interim without motherboxes, or is it just Steppenwolf who had to do it manually?

Aw man remembered the Green Lantern sequence, that was so cool! Guess the guardians were busy elsewhere this time though.

e: i suppose the fast retreat would screw their directions up. sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Another thing I was more curious about, was the Green Lantern character. I am not familiar enough with the actual comic books, but this article explains it https://www.cbr.com/snyder-justice-league-evil-green-lantern-name-powers/