Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

That was the shittiest Green Lantern ever. Didn't make a construct or a shield or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Quotey posted:

The antilife stuff confused me too, to be honest. They seemed to be hinting that part of it was that giant sigil that Steppenwolf got called to? Also, they just forgot what planet they left their motherboxes on? Have they been conquering in the interim without motherboxes, or is it just Steppenwolf who had to do it manually?

Aw man remembered the Green Lantern sequence, that was so cool! Guess the guardians were busy elsewhere this time though.

e: i suppose the fast retreat would screw their directions up. sure.

As opposed to the Whedon cut, I believe we're supposed to understand that those aren't the only three motherboxes that Darkseid has and uses to conquer worlds. They were just the ones he brought for this one job. If I'm remembering my DC lore properly, motherboxes are very rare but there are more than just a few in existence.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Zack Snyders Justice League, this explains it:

Sold.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

https://twitter.com/meepimaud/status/1372495713599381515

https://twitter.com/meepimaud/status/1372506712557633536?s=21

Nice little story. :unsmith:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Holy hell they for real cut every POC character they possibly could from the theatrical

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

That scene was way too long, but I didn't mind because I love Cyborg's theme.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

The Kent Family’s bank and the movie itself have a lot in common, they both bought the farm.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

15 mins in and it’s absolutely insane how much better this version is so far.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Beyond sense of scale and style, I really appreciate that every member of the League actually had a reason to be there, and the absence of just about any of the heroes would have caused the plan to fail.

In the Whedon cut, everyone was just buying time for Superman to show up.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
which parts of this movie do people like

help me understand where you're coming from and please be as specific as possible because there is nothing here to grab on to

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

gently caress off with the brain worms poo poo and equating liking this movie to having a mental disorder.

This is the correct opinion.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

abraham linksys posted:

help me understand where you're coming from and please be as specific as possible because there is nothing here to grab on to

"Flight" coming in when Superman Supermans is my favorite part since it was missing in BvS as Superman didn't really get to Superman in that movie and the return of it is welcome.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I'm actually calmed somewhat that there are plenty of people who don't like it. I was getting weirded out by all the positive reviews, worried maybe he toned it down. But it sounds like the opposite!

Very excited!

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

I liked that the Atlateans and Amazons built containment temples for their motherboxes with people standing guard for millennia, while the Dudes just buried theirs in a shallow grave in the woods.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Wont be able to see it for another few days, but I wonder: Will watching the Snyder Cut allow later viewings of the Whedon Cut and maybe take it as some sort of spoof movie? Or does the Snyder Cut just completely obliterate the theatrical?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Blood Boils posted:

I'm actually calmed somewhat that there are plenty of people who don't like it. I was getting weirded out by all the positive reviews, worried maybe he toned it down. But it sounds like the opposite!

Very excited!

This movie is not toned down, rest assured

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Electronico6 posted:

I liked that the Atlateans and Amazons built containment temples for their motherboxes with people standing guard for millennia, while the Dudes just buried theirs in a shallow grave in the woods.

And whose mother box was stolen last? :smug:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Despite thinking the first half could have used a tad bit of trimming, I freaking loved this film. First half set up the second half really well and when Clark comes back and remembering everything is some of the best acting I've seen from Cavill.

This film was so friggan good. I'm still processing it so I don't have any indepth thoughts, but drat we were robbed with the theatrical release.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Wonder Woman's opening fight scene is so much better than Whedon's, it's insane. Hahaha she loving disintegrates the Game of Thrones dude, Goddamn. Also, the part where she knocks one dude across the room towards the hostages and then runs over and knocks him back to the other side.

It also embarrasses WW84 retroactively. That's how Wonder Woman should fight without a shield and sword.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Snyder's cut manages to have weirder soundtrack choices then Watchmen lol.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Grendels Dad posted:

Wont be able to see it for another few days, but I wonder: Will watching the Snyder Cut allow later viewings of the Whedon Cut and maybe take it as some sort of spoof movie? Or does the Snyder Cut just completely obliterate the theatrical?

Watching certain scenes side by side might be amusing to see how differently they develop, but I wouldn't watch the WC on its own anymore.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Wonder Woman's opening fight scene is so much better than Whedon's, it's insane. Hahaha she loving disintegrates the Game of Thrones dude, Goddamn. Also, the part where she knocks one dude across the room towards the hostages and then runs over and knocks him back to the other side.

It also embarrasses WW84 retroactively. That's how Wonder Woman should fight without a shield and sword.

There were blood stains on the walls even. It's the version of Wonder Woman that i've been wanting to see but WB is too scared to show because they want their films to all be PG-13 in theaters. WW84 should just be forgotten, that is one of the top 5 worst super hero movies of all time.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The only thing from the Wheddon cut I felt should have been in the Snyder cut, unless I missed it, is when Steppenwolf comments to Cyborg about how he is made of the Motherbox and so he respects him. I liked that.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

I said come in! posted:

Snyder's cut manages to have weirder soundtrack choices then Watchmen lol.

Definitely a little jarring, especially when placed alongside Batman V Superman and Man of Steel. If I recall correctly, the closest we got to a pop song in either film was someone in a bar performing a cover of a song.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

doomisland posted:

And whose mother box was stolen last? :smug:

Theirs! Cause the nazis found it first :v:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

roffels posted:

Definitely a little jarring, especially when placed alongside Batman V Superman and Man of Steel. If I recall correctly, the closest we got to a pop song in either film was someone in a bar performing a cover of a song.

We got one when Clark was walking around stealing clothes in MoS.

Darko fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 18, 2021

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

abraham linksys posted:

It's cool if you're not into it but trying to justify why I enjoy something to a person to someone that that can't imagine someone enjoying a thing isn't a great use of time. It's about as useful as me going into a thread where people are super into bowling or some random sport and exclaiming I don't understand how anyone can enjoy it. They do. That's fine. I move on.

Darko posted:

We got one when Clark was walking around stealing clothes in MoS.

Fair point, thanks.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

roffels posted:

There's a Chris Cornell song in Man of Steel when Clark steals those clothes.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

The League v. Superman fight is still probably the best action scene in the movie. And having Lois show up due to her own actions and motivations, instead of being there entirely as Batman's backup plan, is a good example of using the characters well.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

hiddenriverninja posted:

I wouldn't watch the WC on its own anymore.

Dump the WC in a WC where it belongs

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

the flash saving a woman scene was so superfluous but i love it, it coulda been a student short titled "The Job Interview" or something

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

The League v. Superman fight is still probably the best action scene in the movie. And having Lois show up due to her own actions and motivations, instead of being there entirely as Batman's backup plan, is a good example of using the characters well.

Batman just looking like a moron once Clark notices him and having everyone trying to hold him back as he slowly makes his way over to him is way better than the goofball stuff and quipping he was doing in Whedons.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

LanceHunter posted:

I can understand some things getting changed for tone or time, but seriously, what was gained in the Whedon film by making that change? Was it to show that even when Batman is in a bad spot, he's always in control and has a back-up plan?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Another quick thought: Willem Dafoe with long hair is amazing and them not keeping that look for the Aquaman film was a major misstep!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

roffels posted:

I can understand some things getting changed for tone or time, but seriously, what was gained in the Whedon film by making that change? Was it to show that even when Batman is in a bad spot, he's always in control and has a back-up plan?

Yes, this is actually a very common complaint on the comic side, that he's "theoretically" a regular guy at peak performance but in actuality is written to have supergenius "Batgod" levels of planning and contingency.

Caros
May 14, 2008

After sleeping on it, the film is still definitely good. A bit bloated in places, but given the way it was made and the decision to let Snyder do whatever the gently caress he wanted I'm actually okay with that. If I had two minor complaints about the film itself:

Executing steppenwolf was thematically rather weird. You have him beaten, 'naked' and maimed on the ground, then they decapitate him on his way out the proverbial door?

Seems like they'd have been better just throwing him to darksied and letting the latter crush him underfoot than have the 'good guys' execute a defeated foe in cold blood.

Likewise, I get why they needed to in order for the plot, but having darksied's first appearance be him getting run off the planet half dead is not a good look.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

roffels posted:

It's so Bruce can foreshadow the "big gun" and have it be a Lois, which is a reverse of the joke from Age of Ultron when Iron Man refers to Veronica and it ends up being the Hulkbuster.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

LanceHunter posted:

It was super great that they established that she goes there every single morning instead of relegating one instance of that to a montage and having her mope in her apartment the rest of the time.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Alexander Hamilton posted:

It's so Bruce can foreshadow the "big gun" and have it be a Lois, which is a reverse of the joke from Age of Ultron when Iron Man refers to Veronica and it ends up being the Hulkbuster.

Holy frick good catch. Whedon really does consider AoU his masterpiece and is super salty it didn't change the course of cinematic history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

It was super great that they established that she goes there every single morning instead of relegating one instance of that to a montage and having her mope in her apartment the rest of the time.

I will say, her apartment scene starting with "Who is it?" "It's Martha" felt extremely self-aware.