Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Elon Musk is the engineering equivalent of Josef Mengele.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Kitfox88 posted:

I'd be fine if the only person facing trauma was their corpses post wreck, but sadly other people tend to end up seeing it too. :smith:

cynically, I don't care much for cops either

drunk driving often kills the innocent though, yeah :smithfrog:

e: It looks like submarine safety and construction chat has been spreading around a couple of different engineering related threads lately, so I went and bought that book about submarine construction from 1945 to 2001. If any of you guys are interested in overengineering for military hardware or the philosophy of trading off safety and function in what is ultimately a gigantic submersible weapon, it's a good loving read.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 18, 2021

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Potato Salad posted:

Same there but ambulance/fire response still exists as do just other people nearby.

Also yes please subs own

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Instant Carma.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
In a better world we wouldn't be letting Tesla loving beta test their unfinished autonomous driving mode on the general population

Other manufacturers have sensor-assisted drive modes but I feel like I never hear about someone in an Infiniti plowing into a semi their car didn't think was there or whatever

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Monkey Fracas posted:

In a better world we wouldn't be letting Tesla loving beta test their unfinished autonomous driving mode on the general population

Other manufacturers have sensor-assisted drive modes but I feel like I never hear about someone in an Infiniti plowing into a semi their car didn't think was there or whatever

Because other manufacturers aren't stupid enough to call their system "autopilot"

_____!
May 2, 2004

By popular demand posted:

A jack failure is like 99% user not placing it properly right?

Depends. Does the jack say Harbor Freight anywhere on it?:v:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

By popular demand posted:

A jack failure is like 99% user not placing it properly right?

Well, using the jack as a jackstand. And if its a Harbor freight jackstand: That too.

Most of the issues happen when people jack up the car then work for extended periods under the jack, which slowly allows the car to sink down on top of them, or suddenly do so because they didn't support it.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Potato Salad posted:

drunk driving often kills the innocent though, yeah :smithfrog:

e: It looks like submarine safety and construction chat has been spreading around a couple of different engineering related threads lately, so I went and bought that book about submarine construction from 1945 to 2001. If any of you guys are interested in overengineering for military hardware or the philosophy of trading off safety and function in what is ultimately a gigantic submersible weapon, it's a good loving read.

Curious what it says about changes post-Thresher and post-Scorpion

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Monkey Fracas posted:

I'm sure it happens, but when a regular car rear-ends someone, it's normally just seen as an ordinary accident and isn't really noteworthy. When a Tesla does it, since autopilot is A Thing it gets reported and becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. And yeah, marketing it to people with a strong propensity for "it can't happen to me" idiocy is another part of it.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Buy a jack from Harbor Freight and put the money you saved into extra good stands.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I like my Harbor Freight jack. I've had far worse.

I've seen cars slip off jacks. There's zero chance I climb under a car without one. I'd make the worst, slowest cat thief ever

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
More naval OSHA: (expectation management: nothing goes wrong)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxP6KnvmEc8

Love the guy down on the ground who apparently has to do *something* right up until the last second and then run away from the gigantic sliding warship.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

McGavin posted:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Wingnut Ninja posted:

More naval OSHA: (expectation management: nothing goes wrong)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxP6KnvmEc8

Love the guy down on the ground who apparently has to do *something* right up until the last second and then run away from the gigantic sliding warship.

If he doesn't pull out the wooden chock holding the boat up, who will?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nocheez posted:

The venerable Prius, sipping on fuel and crushing bad guys.

I don't know what it is about Priuses but I've been told they are notorious in some areas for having their cats looted

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Phy posted:

I don't know what it is about Priuses but I've been told they are notorious in some areas for having their cats looted

The word is that due to their efficiency, the cats see less wear, and therefore contain more precious metals.

It's so bad, there are a number of companies that produce bolt-on shields specifically for them.

https://catshield.com/

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

I hope Tesla continues to improve it's suicidal ramming into cops feature.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

jetz0r posted:

I hope Tesla continues to improve it's suicidal ramming into cops feature.

That's not a feature, it's a bug. They are programmed to ram fire trucks.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

This was just reposted in the "Things I just found out thread", this little notice about Italians assembling bombs in the air struck me as very OSHA

Platystemon posted:

Excerpts from Popular Mechanics, March 1912

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/pCuMbWd.mp4

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

One Day In The Life Of Ivan Denisovich reboot is looking good as heck

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

McGavin posted:

Elon Mengele?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Don't forget it could have been a scissor jack too.

Scrap yards pay different amounts for cats based on year make and model. Prius must be the best payout.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

drat I should've sold my own Prius' catalytic converter before I donated it to charity

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

gently caress SNEEP posted:

drat I should've sold my own Prius' catalytic converter before I donated it to charity

Straight pipe the Prius :black101:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

One Day In The Life Of Ivan Denisovich reboot is looking good as heck

LOL

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qq6rg8f5Uv1r0uzl6.mp4

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

I used to work out of a distribution center where someone had come along and sliced the cats off a whole row of V8 gasoline Isuzu NPRs. One by one, the guys got in their trucks and, "VRRRROOOOM-BRUM-BRUM-BRUM". Bet they pissed of a lot of people doing their early morning deliveries that day!

The depot was only unmanned from 3pm to 6pm, so they had to have done it during the daytime. We figured the lumber yard next door must have covered the noise.

The best part was the trucks were all leased through the company, so they had to pay for repairs instead of the drivers. That company stopped forcing leased trucks on new contractors shortly after.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

No fat chicks balloon will scrape.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

any landing you can walk away from...

i know he didnt land, but that what came to mind

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

One summer when I was a kid, a hot air balloon randomly touched down in our neighbor's back yard. I have no idea where they came from or why they were setting down, but after figuring out they couldn't deflate there with the trees and sheds in the way, they took off again, went over the neighbor's house, then landed in the street and waited for the chase truck to arrive and pack up.

I'm pretty sure landing in random yards and low-altitude jumping over houses is discouraged in the balloon manual, but it was pretty loving cool when I was a kid.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
All the prius catalytic talk just reminding me of the carfuckers fplus episode, which taught me the most osha carfucking fact of never gently caress the car hot

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cthulu Carl posted:

One summer when I was a kid, a hot air balloon randomly touched down in our neighbor's back yard. I have no idea where they came from or why they were setting down, but after figuring out they couldn't deflate there with the trees and sheds in the way, they took off again, went over the neighbor's house, then landed in the street and waited for the chase truck to arrive and pack up.

I'm pretty sure landing in random yards and low-altitude jumping over houses is discouraged in the balloon manual, but it was pretty loving cool when I was a kid.

Did they give your neighbor a bottle of champagne, as is tradition?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/CfGsCQb.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/v67Eu0V.mp4

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

That didn't go the way I was expecting. Props for thinking about the mattress thing in the loop, though I doubt it would have worked perfectly...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The mattress is way more likely to be dropped and injure the slider than it is to do its job.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/hSgBjNb.mp4

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Jerry Lee Lewis' comeback tour looking good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Who uploaded that without sound?