Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Darko posted:

Batman just looking like a moron once Clark notices him and having everyone trying to hold him back as he slowly makes his way over to him is way better than the goofball stuff and quipping he was doing in Whedons.

And in the context of Clark holding back throughout the BvS fight, Bruce is very correct to now be frozen in place by a confused, threatened, amnesiac Clark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Blind Rasputin posted:

The Snyder cut is pretty embarrassingly pro cop and more than anything this will be why it bombs.
anti-cop sentiment is not as mainstream as you think it is

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010
I really liked ZSJL and there were a lot of great scenes, but my fav is prob the Climax where Flash turns back time to push Cyborg into the motherboxes which was foreshadowed during the Superman resurrection scene . It was such a beautiful and awesome sequence.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Roman posted:

anti-cop sentiment is not as mainstream as you think it is

Batman V Superman had a cop try to shoot Batman, then nearly blow his partner's head off with a shot gun. I did not interpret that scene as pro-cop and won't presume Snyder's intent based on Lois giving an officer a cup of coffee.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
If it makes you feel better, just pretend that Lois is bribing the cop with coffee to get a close-up look at the site. She did that in BvS to get into Wallace Keefe's apartment already.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

LanceHunter posted:

The League v. Superman fight is still probably the best action scene in the movie. And having Lois show up due to her own actions and motivations, instead of being there entirely as Batman's backup plan, is a good example of using the characters well.

The way the shot is framed when Lois shows up to stop Clark from torching Bruce also works so well now as an inverse of when she showed up to save Clark from Bruce in BvS.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Alexander Hamilton posted:

If it makes you feel better, just pretend that Lois is bribing the cop with coffee to get a close-up look at the site. She did that in BvS to get into Wallace Keefe's apartment already.

Yeah Lois is incredibly resourceful like that--like using both her embedded reporting experience and political connections to get to go to the arctic base in MoS.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Lois is the best she's ever been in Snyder's movies.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Just the implication, too, of her being able to follow the trail of Clark Kent without even knowing his name in MoS.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Don’t understand people saying to cut the Flash intro. That whole sequence is a masterclass in introducing a superhero - you meet the hero, get a snapshot of his character that tells you everything you need to know (won’t shut up, goofy, bit of a fuckup but he still tries, good hearted) and also wordlessly establishes his powers and their limitations (he’s unbelievably fast but that speed is only limited to himself personally, if he isn’t exceedingly gentle then anything he touches gets disintegrated) and is just flat out funny and charming as a scene. Not even in the first ten of scenes I’d cut, and I definitely could think of things to cut off I was asked to.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
One of the little things I like in BvS is that Clark and Lois are seemingly living together but it's her place and her name is the only one on the mailbox.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

That goes for most of these characters.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

She may also feel grateful specifically to the security presence at Superman's memorial given how it was previously defaced.

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
I'm an hour in and there have been two nick cave songs and two gratuitous scenes of aquaman getting shirtless so looking pretty good so far

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

One of the little things I like in BvS is that Clark and Lois are seemingly living together but it's her place and her name is the only one on the mailbox.

It adds so much to their dynamic. So when Clark expresses disapproval that Lois is running around in war-zones and chasing dangerous leads, he doesn't put his foot because of how much he respects her. And also she's paying for the swanky apartment.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 18, 2021

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

roffels posted:

It's cool if you're not into it but trying to justify why I enjoy something to a person to someone that that can't imagine someone enjoying a thing isn't a great use of time. It's about as useful as me going into a thread where people are super into bowling or some random sport and exclaiming I don't understand how anyone can enjoy it. They do. That's fine. I move on.

as someone who reads random SAS threads when I'm bored to see what people are interested in in sports I don't follow, and has found myself watching cricket or some poo poo at 4am to find out more about it: I'm here in good faith! just cranky because I owned myself by spending four hours on this movie i did not enjoy and now several subsequent hours reading reviews trying to get a better sense of what people see in this movie

people are mostly talking about what they like about this version more than Whedon's which is understandable, and now I'm trying to decide if my time is worthless enough to watch the Whedon cut. does seem like it'll breeze by in comparison, if nothing else. or hell maybe I should go rewatch Man of Steel and watch BvS for the first time to really complete the picture

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Don’t understand people saying to cut the Flash intro. That whole sequence is a masterclass in introducing a superhero - you meet the hero, get a snapshot of his character that tells you everything you need to know (won’t shut up, goofy, bit of a fuckup but he still tries, good hearted) and also wordlessly establishes his powers and their limitations (he’s unbelievably fast but that speed is only limited to himself personally, if he isn’t exceedingly gentle then anything he touches gets disintegrated) and is just flat out funny and charming as a scene. Not even in the first ten of scenes I’d cut, and I definitely could think of things to cut off I was asked to.

the flash intro was rote (as most of this movie is) but was certainly fun and made me actually want to see more of the flash, unlike, say, any scene with aquaman, which mostly just made me want to see more william defoe

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

fart simpson posted:

, bland generic superhero movie

Literally after everything and all these years of internet memery, and that's what you go with lol

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

LesterGroans posted:

Part of the reason why the Snyder Cut rules so hard is that it's making people who know they're going to hate it waste four hours of their life.

I think there's a case to be made for watching stuff you don't like from time to time. If one is seriously interested in film as an art form, watching a badly made film can be almost as interesting as watching a great one. I'm 20 minutes into ZSJL and am utterly fascinated by this film. I also think it's complete garbage.

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
It is kind of jarring how much better this movie looks than WW84

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER posted:

I'm an hour in and there have been two nick cave songs and two gratuitous scenes of aquaman getting shirtless so looking pretty good so far

Lol really, which ones?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Its presented in 4:3 to reserve the integrity of the director's vision, what kind of loving trash is that. Garbage.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Its presented in 4:3 to reserve the integrity of the director's vision, what kind of loving trash is that. Garbage.

Lol

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

abraham linksys posted:

people are mostly talking about what they like about this version more than Whedon's which is understandable, and now I'm trying to decide if my time is worthless enough to watch the Whedon cut. does seem like it'll breeze by in comparison, if nothing else. or hell maybe I should go rewatch Man of Steel and watch BvS for the first time to really complete the picture

I'd say if you have any interest in seeing what studio meddling looks like, and what they expect audiences to enjoy, a back-to-back watch with the Whedon cut would be interesting.

I can't imagine jumping into the Justice League Snyder Cut without having seen Man of Steel or Batman V Superman, I think of them less as sequels and more as a chapter of a larger story. I'm not suggesting you should watch them if you didn't find anything in the Snyder cut redeeming, but it may give you more context.

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R

RBA Starblade posted:

Lol really, which ones?

distant sky and there is a kingdom

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Like seriously what director goes " Yeah everyone has flat screens now, 4:3 is the ratio that Imma go with". Whole movie is trash because of that.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

abraham linksys posted:

I have not watched the Snyder Cut yet, but the Whedon Cut is a slog in the same way Age of Ultron is and OG Avengers for all its other flaws somehow isn't, regardless of runtime.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Hollismason posted:

Like seriously what director goes " Yeah everyone has flat screens now, 4:3 is the ratio that Imma go with". Whole movie is trash because of that.

He originally intended to film it for imax,

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Hollismason posted:

it's an homage to the lighthouse

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

I have not watched the Snyder Cut yet, but the Whedon Cut is a slog in the same way Age of Ultron is and OG Avengers for all its other flaws somehow isn't, regardless of runtime.

It's what happens when you give a humanist the brush of a fascist, after all.

Goodness, some of those reviews aged like spoiled milk.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Hollisman, The Nightingale is the best movie of the last ten years and is great despite its aspect ratio. Do you really want to fight Jennifer Kent?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

abraham linksys posted:

watch BvS for the first time to really complete the picture

But it's almost assured that you won't like the completed picture...don't waste your time.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Steen71 posted:

I think there's a case to be made for watching stuff you don't like from time to time. If one is seriously interested in film as an art form, watching a badly made film can be almost as interesting as watching a great one. I'm 20 minutes into ZSJL and am utterly fascinated by this film. I also think it's complete garbage.

That's a good take. I was better at that pre-pandemic when I'd make an effort to catch matinees at the chain theaters for $6, mixed in with whatever the revival theaters were screening. It's good, if nothing else, to attempt to find something good in a film you personally don't enjoy, and avoid saying absolutes like "that was the worst film I've ever seen" on something slightly askew to mainstream. And once in a while, something might surprise you.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Like seriously what director goes " Yeah everyone has flat screens now, 4:3 is the ratio that Imma go with".

Off the top of my head:

Paul Schrader
Wes Anderson
Kelly Reichardt
Lisandro Alonso
David Lowery
Andrea Arnold
László Nemes
Jennifer Kent

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

roffels posted:

I can't imagine jumping into the Justice League Snyder Cut without having seen Man of Steel or Batman V Superman, I think of them less as sequels and more as a chapter of a larger story. I'm not suggesting you should watch them if you didn't find anything in the Snyder cut redeeming, but it may give you more context.

yeah I'll concede it did hurt any interest I'd have in Batman or Superman's stories, particularly Superman's being particularly weird without prior context. I naively assumed that given the runtime and the relative lack of success of BvS that they would have injected a bit more of a "last time on the DCEU" into it, though the intro does cover at least enough ground I wasn't really confused by anything that happened later, just underwhelmed

the idea of MoS/BvS/JL as an actual direct trilogy is interesting, I guess. I'd assumed it was more of an MCU situation where you absolutely don't need much surrounding context for any given movie other than, like, the direct sequels. I never saw Age of Ultron, because everyone told me it was bad, but had zero problem watching subsequent MCU films. I skipped BvS because everyone told me it was bad, but it does seem like more or less required viewing for this. did Whedon's cut try to solve that "problem" (and I'll totally admit it's not necessarily a problem to anyone but studio execs) at all?

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Hollismason posted:

Zack Snyder, Kelly Reichardt, David Lowery, Robert Eggers, and I'm sure others.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I didn't even notice the Lighthouse was in 4:3. drat that movie rocked!

edit: also you can apply this exact "nonstandard aspect ratio is trash" to 2.35:1, which shits on, like, TONS of films.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Steen71 posted:

Characterizing 'hate-watching' as sharpening your skill as a discerning purveyor of art is a bit much. I think that kind of watching actually produces the opposite effect, where the viewer is free from having to engage with the media and can maintain an ironic distance. To actually get anything from a 'bad' film, you'd have to explicate anything specifically.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

The Lighthouse was actually in 1:1.19, to mimic the look of the earliest sound-era films where the recorded sound was printed directly onto the side of the frames and had to be cropped out.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Hollismason posted:

A good one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Shout out to the titlecard inserts. They were cut in perfectly and really set the stage proper for each part. Just finished my second viewing btw. I haven't slept yet lmao.