Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

C-Euro posted:

Boy Chapter 2 is a slog huh. Two runs today where I started a loop at full health and died in said loop. On this last one I even had a bunch of Oblivion cards and the "gain 10% when you use an Oblivion card" trait, I just needed to survive one battle and I was going to clear a safe route home. drat.

i was getting dumpstered in act 2 as necro until i finally stopped being insanely stupid and dumped all the meadows and rocks from my deck and then with the insane mass of tree attack speed just shithoused everything and trashed the boss np

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Smythe posted:

i was getting dumpstered in act 2 as necro until i finally stopped being insanely stupid and dumped all the meadows and rocks from my deck and then with the insane mass of tree attack speed just shithoused everything and trashed the boss np

I don't even have Tree cards unlocked, unless those are just Groves. And even then there's nothing on Groves that indicate any benefits! Same with Swamps.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

If you create the forest back at camp you'll get the forest / thicket land cards.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Best tip that someone gave me because I'm slow n bad at this is unlock 3-4 watchtowers in camp, and upgrade them when possible. This makes the 1-2 squares before and after your camp re-enforced by 3-4 archers who easy mode anything you place next to your camp. At which point you want to place a village tile before and after with a vampire estate so you end up with 5+ mobs every pass which will easily die to your archers and you'll get loaded up on loot and resources. Just do that to farm a bit and eventually unlock all the important poo poo, then you can kinda sit back.

Granted, rng will still screw you sometimes, but it IS quicker.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I had a sleepwalk chapter 4 run. Beat the boss and just zzz

Noticed a glowy spot on one of the roads and 'eh I already beat the boss, I'm supposed to oblivion this if it shows up right?'
I'll uh, let you guess how that went.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Philthy posted:

Best tip that someone gave me because I'm slow n bad at this is unlock 3-4 watchtowers in camp, and upgrade them when possible. This makes the 1-2 squares before and after your camp re-enforced by 3-4 archers who easy mode anything you place next to your camp. At which point you want to place a village tile before and after with a vampire estate so you end up with 5+ mobs every pass which will easily die to your archers and you'll get loaded up on loot and resources. Just do that to farm a bit and eventually unlock all the important poo poo, then you can kinda sit back.

Also upgrade the blacksmith to get the smith's forge card and place it so you run over an affected tile immediately before the campfire. It means you take the maximum damage reduction shield into the boss fight.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Philthy posted:

It's a bit of a double-edged sword, especially with Necromancer. It makes the early game infinitely easier, but they aren't that strong and by the time your runs reach the double digits they're gonna be bouncing off of monster defense. (Necromancer, by comparison, can summon a unit at >4 Max Skels and high Summon Quality that just does raw magical damage, but can't summon it if you're in crossbowman range because the archer row is filled with crossbowers)

Party Boat posted:

Also upgrade the blacksmith to get the smith's forge card and place it so you run over an affected tile immediately before the campfire. It means you take the maximum damage reduction shield into the boss fight.

This also works if you place it so that it's overlapping the campfire, and in addition, if it's only overlapping the campfire, it can't spawn living armors.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Fought the secret swamp boss yesterday, he's strong but 6 skeletons summoned at 300% speed was more than enough.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

anyone have tips for actually filling out the path with swamps? specifically how to not get vaporized by anti-heals

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Chard posted:

anyone have tips for actually filling out the path with swamps? specifically how to not get vaporized by anti-heals

Be a Necro or Rogue with a beefy amount of magic HP.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

If I had any complaint with loop hero it's that I wish cards had way more interplay.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

If I had any complaint with loop hero it's that I wish cards had way more interplay.

Agreed. The fact that the storm temple causes trees to burn changing their trait but does nothing to the suburbs is surprising to me

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Chard posted:

You have to heal entirely with the campfire and potions (also villages if you're not going for 100% swamp).

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Salastine posted:

I have just beaten Chapter 4 as Warrior for the first time, so I thought I may share my setup in the case it may help someone else who wants it:

Hopefully this big ol' post can help someone else who's either been struggling or just by throwing ideas out there (though I bet if I ran this setup again I'd lose).

:toot: Worked like a charm on the second attempt (first attempt brick walled at the priestess due to lacking aspd/vamp), when I hadn't messed with warrior at all past Chapter 1 and couldn't figure out how to get them to work.

Moderation is the name of the game; it's a balancing act to make sure you have enough HP, Magic Damage and Attack Speed, but if you go too heavy on any of them, you absolutely fall apart by the end. Couldn't tell you what the magic number is, but 240% Attack Speed is way more than a Vampirism Warrior needs to survive. Probably would be fine with 200% or even 175%. In particular the higher attack speed causes a lot of problems with Flesh Golems as they try to get their last hit in.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 18, 2021

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Is there a reason people build Rivers to the edge?

Seems like an inefficient play unless you're not getting enough thickets.

Bolded numbers are rivers: it seems like in the same layout you get more if you place rivers 1 tile away from edge.

1 1 1
1 2 2
1 1 1
1 2 2
1 1 1

1 1 1
1 2 2
1 2 1
1 2 2
1 1 1

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

WarpedLichen posted:

River effects stack (additively).

To use your example builds, this is how much of a multiplier each tile gets from rivers:

2 2 2
R R R
R 6 4
R R R
2 2 2

So, assuming those are all thickets, that 3x5 layout gives (4+4+4+12+8+4+4+4) or +44% Attack Speed.

1 2 2
2 R R
2 R 6
2 R R
1 2 2

In this example, you get (2+4+4+4+4+12+4+2+4+4) or +40% Attack Speed. Four less attack speed for one more Thicket cost. also +44% attack speed.

(It's worth noting, however, that this effect only applies to vanilla River tiles and not Reeds/Bridge/Oasis tiles, so while getting one as a corner tile won't hurt too much, you want to be careful about using too many of them.)

EDIT: I missed one 2x tile; in this specific example they have parity (+44% for both, for a cost of 7 Rivers/8 Thickets in example one and 5 Rivers/10 Thickets in example 2), but it's generally more important to stack 2-river and 3-river tiles than have as many tiles affected by river bonuses as possible, as those bonuses snowball in extreme circumstances, and the first example is a little more 'even' on resource use.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 18, 2021

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

WarpedLichen posted:

Bolded numbers are rivers: it seems like in the same layout you get more if you place rivers 1 tile away from edge.

1 1 1
1 2 2
1 1 1
1 2 2
1 1 1

1 1 1
1 2 2
1 2 1
1 2 2
1 1 1

Unless there's awkward spacing on the map (like the path is heavily left aligned), I always place my first river tile in the bottom row one tile in from the left and then snake upward. Seems like when possible you're better off keeping the river one tile off the border so you can have a tile benefit on both sides.

One exception would be the oasis I guess, since that doesn't get adjacency bonuses. Granted, as long as you have decent meta progression this is more min/maxing rather than necessary strategy.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Test your layouts here (with the absolute max found so far already showing with this link).
https://loopherolayout.xyz/?c=111221211211211211211211211211211212212121121112111211211122

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Gerdalti posted:

Test your layouts here (with the absolute max found so far already showing with this link).
https://loopherolayout.xyz/?c=111221211211211211211211211211211212212121121112111211211122

There really needs to be a generator like this where you can work with a full map/tiles so you can figure out how to dance around the path and potentially boost things like suburbs/burned forests/mountains. I never once considered diagonals, somehow.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Hello, I'm dumb as poo poo. I may have missed something, like text, but I don't understand how to start Chapter 2. I've killed the lich, then started another run, killed him again, and continued on but nothing seems to happen and I'm not picking up any chapter 2 materials. What am I doing wrong, apart from thinking/correct cognitive development/critically thinking & understanding. Thank you.

Olewithmilk fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 18, 2021

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Olewithmilk posted:

Hello, I'm dumb as poo poo. I may have missed something, like text, but I don't understand how to start Chapter 2. I've killed the lich, then started another run, killed him again, and continued on but nothing seems to happen and I'm not picking up any chapter 2 materials. What am I doing wrong, apart from thinking/correct cognitive development/critically thinking & understanding. Thank you.

This is a setting on the expedition menu, right above the boss graphic. Hit the II numeral.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Party Boat posted:

If you create the forest back at camp you'll get the forest / thicket land cards.

lol I haven't even made a Supply Depot yet. Time to grind my rear end off I guess.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

SettingSun posted:

This is a setting on the expedition menu, right above the boss graphic. Hit the II numeral.

Thank you very much!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about Loop Hero. I've now beaten Chapter 4 with every class using the same settup between warrior and thief and it always looks like this. Once it's solved the game just can't deal with you anymore. I feel like a good chunk of cards are just useless and river/thicket stacking is just too good. Once you unlock the suburbs I don't think it's even possible to lose if you use them because you get game breaking perks so insanely fast.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 19, 2021

Salastine
Nov 4, 2008
I've returned with another big post after my first victory with the Rogue in Chapter 4, hopefully my setup can assist others in their own victories:

The Deck:

Cemetery, Ruins
Spider Cocoon, Battle Field, Bookery, Outpost
Forest, River, Desert
Oblivion
Arsenal

The Supply (see if you can notice what I forgot to switch out):

Alchemist's Shelf x4, Count's Chair x3, Antique Shelf x6
Jeweler's Lens x9, Herbalist's Sickle x2, Skinner's Knife x3
Cheese x9
Old Painting x4

The Strategy:

Rogue wants to fight a lot of enemies each loop, so make sure you balance getting lots of kills and actually surviving (though you already knew that).
Critical Damage Chance was what I wanted while the River and Thicket combo (of course) was bringing in attack speed.
Make sure to place as many Outposts as possible around the Camp as the mercs can help fight the bosses.
Do not place Cemeteries or Ruins next to each other, except for when you're trying to fill out the area around the Camp.
Make sure not to place Ruins next to the Camp but be aware that Skeleton Archers spawn from the Cemeteries, so be prepared to get shot at like I was.
Oblivions were only ever used for the A Villages? though I learned that placing an Outpost next to them can really help as well.
I had enough Dunes to reduce HP by 38% by the final boss.
Only use Dunes/Thickets, keep your Deserts/Forests for Bookery food.
I beat the final boss on Loop 7 and I was strong enough to continue looping, if I wanted to.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about Loop Hero. I've now beaten Chapter 4 with every class using the same settup between warrior and thief and it always looks like this. Once it's solved the game just can't deal with you anymore. I feel like a good chunk of cards are just useless and river/thicket stacking is just too good. Once you unlock the suburbs I don't think it's even possible to lose if you use them because you get game breaking perks so insanely fast.

Looking at my setup for this run and my earlier Warrior setup, I think it's safe to say that you have the right of it in the sense of "solving the game". Though it is funny to note that I lost every Chapter 4 run I used suburbs on, both on Warrior and Rogue, but maybe it'll turn out better for the Necromancer.

Card balance is indeed very strange and I hope that the weaker cards and combos can be brought up to the level of Forest/River, if the devs ever decide to try to change things.

heisenberg
Dec 17, 2008
I've being trying to push the Forest / River / Desert, stack attack speed + damage all to an extreme. This is totally a normal and natural way to play this game:

My real breakthrough idea was transitioning from River-ed Forests to Oases once I got the rest of my board set. This dramatically reduced the rippiness of a string of misses + scorch worms in the back- I really feel the -43% attack speed in those fights. Also, moving up from -99% health to like -95% definitely increases my survivability. I'm probably going to tinker further by tiptoeing it up to like -90 and see if I end up in fewer potentially bad situations.

If you're curious, the one open spot is if a ghost^3 gives me an ancient crypt - I don't want to be stuck with no place to land it and no Oblivion in-hand.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Chard posted:

I did it with warrior and the crypt. You want to have your herbalist hut max level, that gives you 4 potions/loop and 10% heal each time. After that, alchemist shelfs are decent since they let you store more potions during strong loops, herbalist scythes (which I had none of) gives you +1% heal with potions. Any supply cabinets (+1 hp per whole resource) are also excellent. For traits, you want to aim for "+1.5 dmg per potion" and "40% chance to not use a potion". Early on you'll probably still use regen gear and stuff with your loop, and take villages because vamp villages are a big boost to card and hp generation early. Battlefields are great as well.

I did mountains+forests and kept my attack speed around 100%, but you could swap the mountains out for suburbs pretty effectively to fish for important traits. Burned forests are fine for extra damage as well.

Personally I think going much over like 100% attack speed on warrior/rogue isn't that great, and over 200% on necro as well (I've actually died because of insanely high attack speed and too many forest villages). Like its not *bad*, but the benefit you're getting isn't very large compared to if you get more of something else.

Gerdalti posted:

Interesting, though this layout requires a lot more rivers. I like doing more of a layout in this style (https://loopherolayout.xyz/?c=111221211211211211211211211211211212212121121112111211211122 ) because of how my card distribution tends to be. It also still gives me more attack speed than I generally am after.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

finished the swamp gimmick last night with necro, after i realized i had been misreading the trait that gives HP on skelly death as "gives XP". for some reason i think the game counts any remaining skellies from the last battle as 'dying' at the start of the next and every single tile was draining my health. fixing that made it easy, if boring, to finish.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

hate this dude

Salastine
Nov 4, 2008
I'm back for the last time with my setup for my first-try win on Chapter 4 with Necromancer:

The Deck:

Cemetery, Grove, Ruins
Battle Field, Blood Grove, Bookery
Forest, River, Suburbs
Oblivion, Temporal Beacon (I wanted to get the last part of the enemy Encyclopedia)
Ancestral Crypt

The Supply:

Alchemist's Shelf x4, Antique Shelf x7
Jeweler's Lens x10 (100% item find isn't as interesting as I was hoping but it is still helpful), Herbalist's Sickle x2, Blacksmith's Hammer x5
Cheese x9
Old Painting x5

The Strategy:

Necromancer does well with 4 skeletons, 50% or less skeleton quality, and as much skeleton level as you can get.
Get that attack speed from the usual combo.
Kill things with souls to feed the Ancestral Crypt.
Beacon as much as the road as possible so you're constantly fighting Watchers.
Place every Grove, Cemetery, and Ruins 2 spaces apart so the Skeleton Archers and Worms don't overlap.
Make sure that you place a Blood Grove next to the Camp because the final boss took me a while to kill due to him messing with my stats.
I beat the final boss on Loop 8 and I continued on after that to get an achievement.

At no point was I threatened during this run but that was probably due to getting good traits early on, I didn't even spend any of my revives.

During this time I also got the "Crunchy Company" achievement, so I'll lay out how to get it for those who care:

The big thing is that there needs to be 10 skeletons in battle in TOTAL, so it counts both yours, your backline, the enemy, and the enemy backline.
Make sure that you are playing on a chapter that can spawn Skeleton Archers and be sure to place cemeteries next to each other so the Archers can reach across the tiles.
Get +1 Skeleton on all of your equipment (and play with Arsenal so you have another slot to do it since it'll be a lot easier).
Get the +1 Skeleton trait and the "chance to summon 2 skeletons during the final summon" trait, though I didn't get the latter.
Hope that you can summon all of your skeletons during a fight that has a lot of enemy skeletons so be sure to pack in that attack speed.

Hopefully my posts have helped someone out, maybe I'll do more later on if they add in more classes or whatnot.

Salastine fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 19, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Armor basically only gives HP, so is Crypt bad for Warrior/Rogue?

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Acerbatus posted:

It’s fine once you start killing a ton, but given that high level armor by the time you hit a boss can have 900+ HP on it, you’re probably even or below the amount of HP you’d get from armor. The extra resurrection can be worth it, but honestly I’d stick to the Arsenal because that extra equip slot is so good for those two classes. Rogue especially, the magic hp from the amulet will far outweigh any extra HP in the long run

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Boy do I REALLY WISH this game had any kind of confirmation when you hit the "exit" button on the menu before it closes the game entirely, just in case you were distracted and your brain thought "exit" meant "exit the settings menu" and maybe wanted one extra click before the game chaos dunks a 90 minute run into oblivion

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i did it! cleared act 3 and 4 on back to back necro runs. insanely dumpstered everything, maybe drank 3 potions. hosed up. river is epic & summoning skellies with 350 attack speed is very funny

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Killed the boss in act 3 but his dog got me, even with a ressurect, gdi.

Lifepuzzler
Nov 5, 2009
Wow, 35 hours in and I finally I beat the game without ever building the alchemist.

How the hell do you get more of the little time shards? I spawned tons of vampire wizards, spooky books, and black slimes and only got like 2 shards after 12 loops.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Acerbatus posted:

As long as you make sure to take and fill your loop with things that have souls (so more or less no spiders, but take battlefields/vamps), early on you'll have less hp, mid-game you'll have about even, boss/post boss you'll have more.

Honestly, crypt is really good for both of them for two reasons. The first is that early on the biggest contributor to doing well is a good weapon, and having an additional item drop option dilutes the number of weapons you see. The second is that by removing hp as something you can about on armor, you're free to aim purely for strong secondary stats.

If you don't have an upgraded alchemist hut I'd probably still take arsenal on rogue because of the magic hp, but if you have decent strength potions and some count chairs you don't really need it. The warrior trait that gives you a shield every loop synergizes extremely well with crypt because you get the shield before the boss, so when you roll in with 2-3k hp you get quite a meaty shield.

Necro on the other hand works better with arsenal IMO, because of the way that the 3 stats you care about work. Also, between supply cabinets and "shield on skele summon" you already have a good amount of scaling health available.

Lifepuzzler posted:

Wow, 35 hours in and I finally I beat the game without ever building the alchemist.

How the hell do you get more of the little time shards? I spawned tons of vampire wizards, spooky books, and black slimes and only got like 2 shards after 12 loops.

If you have temporal beacons (get to a high enough loop level to unlock), those + empty bookery make a mage type that is good for them. I got my shards for the alchemist off of the 3rd boss, though if you can get to the 3rd boss on act 4 do it there. You basically only ever need 2 of them, since after you get the alchemist you can make more.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
farmed a grip of shards by filling half the map with vamp house/bookery combos to make the girl vampire mages when the bookery empties and the other side covered with temporal beacons. the beacon guys dont spawn if theres a vamp influence on the tile. got like 4 orbs in 14 or so loops idk

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I don't have any valid spots for a second warehouse. What's that about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Warehouses have to be placed adjacent to the supply depot so you might need to do some rearranging.