Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

how are we still dealing with eyepokes because of the UFC's lovely glove design what the gently caress

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jack Slack said on his podcast this morning that Don'tale Mayes is out of his fight but I can't find that anywhere else. Has anyone heard about this?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Gramps posted:

how are we still dealing with eyepokes because of the UFC's lovely glove design what the gently caress

I think some of the blame is on the gloves, but they aren't solely responsible for the eyepokes. Every fighter isn't out there poking people in the eyes. The vast majority have no problem keeping their hands in fists when punching or parrying. Fighters that extend their fingers for distance, though, frequently cause eyepokes. See e.g. Jon Jones.

Jones doesn't rake people's eyes because of the gloves. It's a part of his fighting style, and no one does anything to punish him for it.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think some of the blame is on the gloves, but they aren't solely responsible for the eyepokes. Every fighter isn't out there poking people in the eyes. The vast majority have no problem keeping their hands in fists when punching or parrying. Fighters that extend their fingers for distance, though, frequently cause eyepokes. See e.g. Jon Jones.

Jones doesn't rake people's eyes because of the gloves. It's a part of his fighting style, and no one does anything to punish him for it.

Yeah

The legend of Cup Cheick Kongo was allowed to build because he was careless in the clinch and it never really hurt him consistently in fights, so there was no need to change his behavior

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

TheReverend posted:

I honestly have no idea what point you're trying to make.

You will never understand something you work so hard to ignore and misrepresent, dumb poo poo.

This sentence also applies to ACs treatment of fouls for two decades.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 17, 2021

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
Of course the gloves aren’t ideal, but I 100% guarantee that if every foul is a point deduction or otherwise some sort of penalty then they’d become much more rare.

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.
From Leon Edwards' instagram

I just found it funny because Rogan doesn't look real in the photo.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Flaskraven posted:

From Leon Edwards' instagram

I just found it funny because Rogan doesn't look real in the photo.

Rogan just doesn't look real ever, anymore. His body is 90% HGH blob and elk meat, the other 10% is poo poo and bone.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
On one hand, I don't think that intent should be part of the decision to penalize a penalty. On the other, I think that some grace should be given to situations like an inside leg kick sliding into the cup as the target moves.

I would lean more into taking a point any time a fight has to be paused to stem bad behavior to start, though.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Why do fighters even get warnings for poo poo that could very drastically change the outcome of a fight that are definitely against the rules? Other than minor stuff like the post above which I agree with, these are professionals and the onus is on them to know the rules. I strongly agree with a post earlier that said if eyepokes were automatic point deductions, you bet your rear end they'd stop happening as much.

Tho I think I'm still just salty about the holly holm germaine de randamie fight were the piece of poo poo fighter gets not one, but two warnings for striking well after the bell

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

beep by grandpa posted:

Why do fighters even get warnings for poo poo that could very drastically change the outcome of a fight that are definitely against the rules? Other than minor stuff like the post above which I agree with, these are professionals and the onus is on them to know the rules. I strongly agree with a post earlier that said if eyepokes were automatic point deductions, you bet your rear end they'd stop happening as much.

Tho I think I'm still just salty about the holly holm germaine de randamie fight were the piece of poo poo fighter gets not one, but two warnings for striking well after the bell

The loving thing is that they did revise the rules w/r/t eye pokes a few years ago. It's actually within a ref's power to deduct a point just for extending fingers towards the face. When that came in everyone including the refs was like "gently caress yeah about time let's do this" and nothing has changed.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CommonShore posted:

Heavyweight Tai Tuivasa (-201) vs Don’Tale Mayes (+201) vs Harry Hunsucker
Tuivasa is that fat dude who drinks beer out of a shoe. He’s one of those heavyweights who looks worse in like every fight somehow. He started his UFC career with some crazy flying knee finish, then KOed another dude, then managed to get by Arlovski… but then he got TKOed by JDS (2018) and lost to Blagoy, and then looked like total loving horseshit terrible against Sergey Spivak, before getting a KO of now-retired Stefan Struve in October. Mayes isn’t much of a challenge for him, though. He’s a DWCS product who made his debut getting just clowned by Ciryl Gane (heel hook for funsies) and is now 1-2, with a decision over Roque Martinez – who is hilariously fat and slovenly, in November. This is a true trashweight fight. Drink it up and drink it down. :slick: late replacement time. Harry Hunsucker is a 7-2 American, former Hard Rock MMA (?) Heavyweight Champion who lost on Contender Series to Jared Vanderaa in November 2020, and to Don'Tale Mayes in 2016. Still truly trashweight. Probably going to be highlight worthy.

Card Update

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

LobsterMobster posted:

Ruiz rules for winning via scarfhold armlock and wearing a wrestling singlet under her rashguard and board shorts last time out

Hell yeah go Ruiz

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah I think a cool-seeming weird tattoos gothy looking grappler is likely to have lots of fans in our community

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

CommonShore posted:

Yeah I think a cool-seeming weird tattoos gothy looking grappler is likely to have lots of fans in our community

We might have a type.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

We might have a type.

i read this tweet and misread the dude's name as "harry mansucker." im gonna have to tell my wife i have a new type tbh

https://twitter.com/BigMarcel24/status/1372250310824112130?s=20

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

tattoo artist: "just your lovehandles, sir?"

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Harry Hunsucker is an insane name.

CommonShore posted:

Big tatty goth grapple friends?

Hollandia fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 18, 2021

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hollandia posted:

Big tatty goth grapple friends?

:love:

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I wish Harry Hunsucker all the success in the world just based on his name alone. Dude with a name like that probably grew up fighting anyone he had to tell his name to.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

His muffin top is all that

Whole grain and well tat

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Eat This Glob posted:

i read this tweet and misread the dude's name as "harry mansucker." im gonna have to tell my wife i have a new type tbh

https://twitter.com/BigMarcel24/status/1372250310824112130?s=20

“You know, for kids!”

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

beep by grandpa posted:

oh no - those continue down past the waist line down his rear end and onto his thighs.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Mr. Nice! posted:

oh no - those continue down past the waist line down his rear end and onto his thighs.

he is never without inkpants

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
https://twitter.com/dilletaunt/status/1372610269466169345

UFC IPO

e: with link:
https://twitter.com/heynottheface/status/1372613425520472066

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 18, 2021

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

https://twitter.com/robnashville/status/1372618058343276546

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Got anything to say about the tweets of 3 random people you posted? :P

Anyway I'll believe the IPO poo poo when it happens, fool me once can't get fooled again...

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've seen it from other sources as well.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Brut posted:

Got anything to say about the tweets of 3 random people you posted? :P

Anyway I'll believe the IPO poo poo when it happens, fool me once can't get fooled again...

Oops, I guess this is the wrong place to post news about the UFC.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

CommonShore posted:

I've seen it from other sources as well.

No, I wasn't saying that it's like, poorly sourced or something, but it's literally in the article that they've filed for IPO once before and then backed away from it, so I'm making an uneducated guess that it will happen again. I don't know poo poo about stocks though :shrug:

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Oops, I guess this is the wrong place to post news about the UFC.

I just thought it was funny that even when you went back to correct it, you still didn't post Sportico's own tweet about it. Also maybe all 3 of these people are notable MMA journalists and I'm just an making a fool out of myself, that would be pretty funny too.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Brut posted:

No, I wasn't saying that it's like, poorly sourced or something, but it's literally in the article that they've filed for IPO once before and then backed away from it, so I'm making an uneducated guess that it will happen again. I don't know poo poo about stocks though :shrug:

I just thought it was funny that even when you went back to correct it, you still didn't post Sportico's own tweet about it. Also maybe all 3 of these people are notable MMA journalists and I'm just an making a fool out of myself, that would be pretty funny too.

Don't watch fights, don't follow MMA news, don't know MMA journalists

The are the guys who do "real journalism". Attend the lawsuit court sessions, write about the judges verdicts, analyze fighter contracts, analyze fighter pay. These aren't the famous talking heads on popular podcasts.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Nash is probably the best when it comes to business and contracts in MMA

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

beep by grandpa posted:

Hahaha

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
So I have been thinking about this for awhile, but to reduce/eliminate eye pokes, if any fighter gets eye poked, the ref will have up to 5 minutes to go to a replay review. If the fighter was actually eye poked, the other fighter loses a point. No loving warnings. If there was no eye poke (faking) the fighter that claims he was poked loses a point. Because every fighter gets 5 min to recover, the 5 min for replay is already accounted for (correct me if this only applies to groin kicks). After it happens in 1-2 fights, I’m pretty sure eye pokes will become rare, unless fighters like losing points quickly.

Yes it’s harsh, but if you want to eliminate it, you have to be. Yes I know refs already have the ability to take a point, but it’s so lax, and varied between refs, that it’s pretty much useless.

The only issues with the plan I can think of is if the replay is inconclusive, but I’m struggling to remember more than 2 (if any) eye pokes that weren’t obvious. Also the replay system would have to be fast. So maybe a ref/athletic judge in the back with quick access to the replay could make the call.

Would this work if implemented? Am I out to lunch?

Edit: VVV thank you. I didn't think of that. fair point. VVV

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 19, 2021

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Kragger99 posted:

So I have been thinking about this for awhile, but to reduce/eliminate eye pokes, if any fighter gets eye poked, the ref will have up to 5 minutes to go to a replay review. If the fighter was actually eye poked, the other fighter loses a point. No loving warnings. If there was no eye poke (faking) the fighter that claims he was poked loses a point. Because every fighter gets 5 min to recover, the 5 min for replay is already accounted for (correct me if this only applies to groin kicks). After it happens in 1-2 fights, I’m pretty sure eye pokes will become rare, unless fighters like losing points quickly.

Yes it’s harsh, but if you want to eliminate it, you have to be. Yes I know refs already have the ability to take a point, but it’s so lax, and varied between refs, that it’s pretty much useless.

The only issues with the plan I can think of is if the replay is inconclusive, but I’m struggling to remember more than 2 (if any) eye pokes that weren’t obvious. Also the replay system would have to be fast. So maybe a ref/athletic judge in the back with quick access to the replay could make the call.

Would this work if implemented? Am I out to lunch?

first problem I would think of with this is legal strikes to the eyes. a fighter being punished because they arent sure if it was extended fingers or a close fist that hit their eye seems bad. its the refs job to identify if it was a closed fist or extended fingers in real time.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
They could try enforcing the existing rules maybe

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
So to the shock of no one but Dana I bet

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1372757125177303045?s=20

Really hope they get a title fight set up soon. I say Charles vs Dustin for the title and winner of Chandler v Gaethje, if that happens, gets next.
But it's UFC so they probably do Dustin vs Conor 3 for the title.

Also.
https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/1372744153956712448
https://twitter.com/bokamotoespn/status/1372749675221057538?s=21

vvv: Alright I'm in for that as well

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 19, 2021

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

https://twitter.com/espnmma/status/1372761416558469131

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Wow, never thought that would be the direction they'd go. I won't complain a long as Oliveira is in though.