Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Hollismason posted:

Like seriously what director goes " Yeah everyone has flat screens now, 4:3 is the ratio that Imma go with". Whole movie is trash because of that.

Televisions are designed to strike a balance between both wider and taller aspect ratios. What you're getting upset about is entirely psychological, because you're not actually losing that much screen space with the more boxy aspect ratios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

the widescreen tvs actually cut the top and bottom off movies, 4:3 is the preferred aspect ratio of connoisseurs because it shows the whole picture

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Like seriously what director goes " Yeah everyone has flat screens now, 4:3 is the ratio that Imma go with". Whole movie is trash because of that.

Are you aware most movies aren’t in 16:9?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I completely forgot about the aspect ratio as I was watching it until the final cool commercial everyone standing in a line pose at the very end

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Has anyone gone through the soundtrack yet? I'm trying to find the song that plays during The Flash Rewind

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Mantis42 posted:

the widescreen tvs actually cut the top and bottom off movies, 4:3 is the preferred aspect ratio of connoisseurs because it shows the whole picture

Sometimes.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

It's officially the dumbest part of SnyderCut discourse because 4:3 has literally been having a big resurgence over the past decade:

https://noamkroll.com/why-the-old-school-43-aspect-ratio-is-coming-back-with-a-vengeance-right-now/
https://www.shutterstock.com/blog/4-3-aspect-ratio

Edit: worth noting that 2.35:1 was treated like a gimmick when it first came out, as movies were promising More Screen to compete against television's rising popularity. Fritz Lang disparaged CinemaScope, saying it was "only good for filming snakes and funerals."

Nroo fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 18, 2021

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Honestly, I didn't even notice the aspect ratio because the film uses what it has perfectly. It's not like they shot it widescreen then cropped everything. Snyder framed each shot and the DP lite it for that aspect ratio.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Jimbot posted:

Honestly, I didn't even notice the aspect ratio because the film uses what it has perfectly. It's not like they shot it widescreen then cropped everything. Snyder framed each shot and the DP lite it for that aspect ratio.
I do wonder if that explains the Whedon reshoots that people are referring to where it's the same action but worse looking.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
lmao this movie was absolutely not better than the already bad original. or even different. it was the same poo poo, rearranged, dragged out to twice the length with boring exposition and slomo shots

you people are diseased

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Calm down.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

If you like a movie you have a health condition

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

mikeycp posted:

lmao this movie was absolutely not better than the already bad original. or even different. it was the same poo poo, rearranged, dragged out to twice the length with boring exposition and slomo shots

you people are diseased

How many posts do you have in the gbs red letter media thread?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hollismason posted:

from what I know the movie was originally shot in that aspect ratio with Imax screens in mind, and the 2017 release cropped large portions of the screen to make it widescreen (and also lovely-looking).
so when releasing a new cut of the film it came down to either cropping the image again, reshooting EVERY SINGLE SCENE from scratch in widescreen, or just working with the 4:3 aspect ratio even though nobody in their right mind is going to an Imax in 2021.
it's the most sensible solution and really not that big a deal tbqh

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Roth posted:

How many posts do you have in the gbs red letter media thread?

You have to answer this question

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

hiddenriverninja posted:

Has anyone gone through the soundtrack yet? I'm trying to find the song that plays during The Flash Rewind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQZ5_3s4ltU

This movie is reigniting some careers. It's wholesome AF.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

abraham linksys posted:

did Whedon's cut try to solve that "problem"?

I wouldn't say so. It actually goes in the opposite direction- the Flash intro is cut and we see him first talking to his dad, then Batman meeting him (other than the CCTV). Cyborg chats with his dad a little the first time we see him, but it's never explained what his dad did (also, he apparently just learns to fly in his sleep lol). Some of Batman and Superman are a bit sanded off, especially the scene where they talk about ressurecting Superman (incidentally, this is where Cyborg spends a sentence explaining his origin). So in that regard it's easier to watch? But I wouldn't say so overall.

I was watching the dad/Flash scene and lol at Whedon's gag there, it's pretty good.

e: "You're going in circles, Barry..."

also the epilogue scene would have been a perfect moment to set up Flashpoint if someone was stupid enough to want to do that as a movie. like "I know how to get you out, Dad"

Quotey fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 18, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Danger posted:

He originally intended to film it for imax,

IMAX is 1.9:1 though, much more rectangular than 4:3

Pirate Jet posted:

Are you aware most movies aren’t in 16:9?

Even if they aren't, if you're going to do a non-standard aspect why not pick 16:9 or 1.9:1 instead of 4:3??

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

KVeezy3 posted:

To actually get anything from a 'bad' film, you'd have to explicate anything specifically.

Oh, don't worry. I'm pausing this film every couple of minutes to talk to myself about what I think is terrible. It's great fun. Often it's basic shot-to-shot transitions that Snyder apparently find difficult.

But! There are shots that look good on their own and would make for nice posters. I think that pretty much sums up Snyder's oeuvre.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
So watching Batman being a suicidal maniac for the entire film just for the Joker calling him out for never having the cojones to actually die was pretty good.

Though the epilogue just makes me want the Ayer cut all that much more.

But yeah, those four hours just flew by, great film, the most Snyder of films.
The parademons were a perfect mix of creepy and Kirby.
The introduction to the Flash was fantastic, and him saving the day at the end, goddamn.
And all the violence in this was so goddamn brutal.
Steppenwolf's cute bat face reminded me something. but I can't quite place what... Small Soldiers?

I'm glad we live in a society that allowed this film to be released.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

IMAX is 1.9:1 though, much more rectangular than 4:3

Even if they aren't, if you're going to do a non-standard aspect why not pick 16:9 or 1.9:1 instead of 4:3??

As I understand it, 4:3 is the shape of film anyway, but is normally cut down to a wider ratio for cinemas. Rather than cut it down to the IMAX ratio, standard TV or standard cinema they’ve just kept it as is.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

The film was clearly shot and "protected" for multiple aspect ratios, back in 2016, so it could be shown in IMAX and also cropped in widescreen for standard theaters. This was the case for many films during the transition to widescreen as not every theater was updated. And directors like Kubrick protected his shots so that the framing would be intact on 4:3 TVs. Snyder is releasing JL in 4:3 because it's the full, uncropped image.

Here's an example of how a film is shot and projected in multiple aspect ratios by design:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7-aMi4Rr-4

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Mera pulling out Steppenwolf's blood-water is still one of the coolest things

cargohills posted:

As I understand it, 4:3 is the shape of film anyway, but is normally cut down to a wider ratio for cinemas. Rather than cut it down to the IMAX ratio, standard TV or standard cinema they’ve just kept it as is.

I mean film comes in different shapes and sizes, and people shoot digital half the time nowadays :shrug:

IMAX has its own bespoke film so I can't imagine it would be in another aspect you'd have to "cut down" to get IMAX footage out of it.

Nroo posted:

And directors like Kubrick protected his shots so that the framing would be intact on 4:3 TVs.

Yeah sure but nobody has 4:3 TVs anymore.

That DID make sense then, but now it doesn't.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Watching it again and gently caress me the use of "Flight" is beautiful and gets me every time

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

fart simpson posted:

apparently if you have the right brain worms then yes it does as evidenced by posters in this thread

mikeycp posted:

you people are diseased

Please don't weaponise health conditions in CineD, or use other thinly veiled ableist attacks. If this is too difficult for you, please find somewhere else to post.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Excuse me?!

https://twitter.com/thatsgoodweb/status/1368706476479553542

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

lol okay that owns

Count me as another person who didn't even notice Lighthouse was 4:3, I guess because it was Black & White I just accepted it.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Snyder shot on 35mm film, in 4:3, in such a way that it would be framed correctly in both IMAX and cropped 1.85:1 in standard cinemas. He's releasing it now in full 4:3 so that all the imagery remains with no cropping.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

The only bad shot/fx I remember was that one of Luthor standing in the water at the beginning. Like they couldn't even make the water ripple a little or something?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Zaphod42 posted:

lol okay that owns

Count me as another person who didn't even notice Lighthouse was 4:3, I guess because it was Black & White I just accepted it.

It's fun aspect ratio to play in. Wes Anderson uses it masterfully.

Grand Budapest from 2013:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fg5iWmQjwk

French Dispatch which was supposed to come out last year but is right now delayed to late 2021 plays around with it too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKaCY-gm1h4

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nroo posted:

Snyder shot on 35mm film, in 4:3, in such a way that it would be framed correctly in both IMAX and cropped 1.85:1 in standard cinemas. He's releasing it now in full 4:3 so that all the imagery remains with no cropping.

Yeah but if you shoot it intending to crop for 1.85:1 or 1.9:1 then that implies that your cameras had filters to display those ratios during filming and you set up your cameras using those aspects as guides for where the action needed to be.

At which point showing the 4:3 is less like showing the "full unedited movie" and more like almost showing a "behind the scenes" or "unedited master" type thing. Which is a cool blu-ray extra, but seems wrong for the definitive release of the Snyder Cut.

Course after all this movie has gone through he can do whatever he wants :shrug:

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
When ur thrown away by Superman in Widescreen

"I'm going off to my home planet!"

When ur thrown away in GLORIOUS 4:3 SCREEN

"Oh no I'm going to loving fly forever"

You should probably compare on your own since image quality kinda sucks for it. It just lets you show more at the top and bottom for some comic book panel stuff i guess?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Serious question: did people trying filming in a 1:1 ratio for very long? How long did we go with it if we ever did?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
What if -- and bear with me here -- one aspect ratio isn't inherently better or worse than another and they're just artistic choices

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

How is this possible?!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Is it just the birthdate Whedon hosed up?

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah but if you shoot it intending to crop for 1.85:1 or 1.9:1 then that implies that your cameras had filters to display those ratios during filming and you set up your cameras using those aspects as guides for where the action needed to be.

It was shot for the 1.43:1 IMAX aspect ratio, not the 1.9:1

RBA Starblade posted:

Serious question: did people trying filming in a 1:1 ratio for very long? How long did we go with it if we ever did?

That's far more of a novelty but there are 2 examples I can think of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9LVLCYvqSI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iQXpdcX33A

Nroo fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 18, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

What if -- and bear with me here -- one aspect ratio isn't inherently better or worse than another and they're just artistic choices

I generally agree but the thing is we all have 16:9 panels and rectangular movie screens and if you do 4:3 we end up wasting half the resolution on black pixels.

Nroo posted:

It was shot for the 1.43:1 IMAX aspect ratio, not the 1.9:1

Still doesn't change that it was meant to support both 1.43:1 and 1.85:1 then and 4:3 makes less sense than anything.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I think in the very early days of film probably, but since film costs money and they tried to be efficient with film and screens and generally landscape view is more useful than portrait, they tended towards rectangular pretty quick.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_(image)#1:1

Yeah definitely a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
4:3 is the chad aspect ratio