Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Octopath ftw. Bye haters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

idk about the game but octopath and Project Triangle are extremely pretty games

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Octopath's soundtrack is insanely good and the theme song -> boss fight song transitions always rule

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I was trolling I like Octopath, it's just kind of a B-tier JRPG. The art and battle system are cool but rhe structure and storytelling are pretty bad

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

In Training posted:

I was trolling I like Octopath, it's just kind of a B-tier JRPG. The art and battle system are cool but rhe structure and storytelling are pretty bad

I only know about this game because its a classic impzone nintendo hype turd that turned out to be, well, a turd.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I wanna try it at least, and hell, now might be the best time to.... if I wasn't playing through all 27 Yakuza games whilst waiting on the SMT3 Remake + SMTV on the Nintendo Switch, not to mention chipping away at Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I'll get to Octopath by 2025, I promise

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I only know about this game because its a classic impzone nintendo hype turd that turned out to be, well, a turd.
It's not a turd. I think some people were (rightfully, based on the initial marketing) expecting all the different stories to be connected, but they're not really.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I wanna try it at least, and hell, now might be the best time to.... if I wasn't playing through all 27 Yakuza games whilst waiting on the SMT3 Remake + SMTV on the Nintendo Switch, not to mention chipping away at Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I'll get to Octopath by 2025, I promise

:hai:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

American McGay posted:

It's not a turd. I think some people were (rightfully, based on the initial marketing) expecting all the different stories to be connected, but they're not really.

That's the thing that intrigued me too.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Octopath is coming to gamepass like next week

ho fan
Oct 6, 2014

American McGay posted:

maybe I picked two bad ones but the two stories I played were pretty bad/forgettable. I dunno I wish I liked it more, graphics/sound are great

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
If you can't appreciate Octopath for its battle system then you don't like rpgs

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

playing a relaxing hour-long Octopath chapter in bed while getting settled down is perfect cozy gaming

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

American McGay posted:

The stories could have been tied together into a more traditional linear RPG or it could have been a completely nonlinear freeform Romancing SaGa style thing. The chapter system they settled on splits the difference in a way that combines the weaknesses of both without the strengths.

But the battle and job systems are tight and the music is great so it's still good.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

octopath was fine, solid B-tier rpg with really good art and combat but also lmfao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpLEQngEGN4&t=374s

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The way your guy in Octopath gets hyped up if you brave multiple times kicks rear end. Combined with the music you got some really bad rear end moments in battles.

The structure of each chapter being character investigates -> dungeon -> boss fight got kind of repetitive but everything else about the game is excellent imo. I bet triangle ends up being an all-timer.

fadam fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 17, 2021

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

AverySpecialfriend posted:

Octopath ftw. Bye haters

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

fadam posted:

The way your guy in Octopath gets hyped up if you brave multiple times kicks rear end. Combined with the music you got some really bad rear end moments in battles.

The structure of each chapter being character investigates -> dungeon -> boss fight got kind of repetitive but everything else about the game is excellent imo. I bet triangle ends up being an all-timer.

yeah agreed. i feel like every game by these guys is like 80-90% of the way to being a GOAT, one of these days theyre going to get there

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

extremebuff posted:

idk about the game but octopath and Project Triangle are extremely pretty games

they're hideous actually

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

AverySpecialfriend posted:

Octopath ftw. Bye haters

:byewhore:

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
the Project Triangle demo was great. the branching storyline part will probably be underwhelming but the combat is like Ogre Battle/FF Tactics: The Next Generation so i will play it more than once

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I wish I liked Octopath Traveler better than I did. I got over halfway done and just stopped caring.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

pillars deadfire also getting added to gamepass. the game owns hard, playing it for 10 hours a day got me through the early pandemic lol

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

I wish I liked Octopath Traveler better than I did. I got over halfway done and just stopped caring.

I put it down for six months or more on three or four occasions before finally beating it last week. Final boss is an awesome fight that has me looking forward to them making another jrpg.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

extremebuff posted:

pillars deadfire also getting added to gamepass. the game owns hard, playing it for 10 hours a day got me through the early pandemic lol

its so good, kind of flew under the radar too. i need to get back to my second playthrough

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

P-Mack posted:

I put it down for six months or more on three or four occasions before finally beating it last week. Final boss is an awesome fight that has me looking forward to them making another jrpg.

The endgame in general is so sick I only wish there was even more

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I really liked the little npc snippets from Octopath.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

well I'm pretty fuckin stoked that The Zekenator joined my party

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

he's the fuckin best

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I haven't had a chance to mess around with it yet but I might swap Rex for him if he's good

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
im glad youre diggin xc2

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Zeke kicks rear end especially because he starts out with some elements you might not have covered yet

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I tried to play Zeke instead of Rex but Pyra/Mythra just get way too OP by the end of the game, and I feel like you absolutely need Nia and a tank to survive so...sorry Zeke.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

https://www.reddit.com/r/JRPG/comments/m7u3fp/shin_megami_tensei_iii_nocturne_hd_western/

may 25th for smt3 remaster, neatly splitting the uprights btween saga frontier and legend of mana. rpg gamers stay winning

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah! posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/JRPG/comments/m7u3fp/shin_megami_tensei_iii_nocturne_hd_western/

may 25th for smt3 remaster, neatly splitting the uprights btween saga frontier and legend of mana. rpg gamers stay winning

Cool

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

That's a bit later than I'd hoped for but it'll be here before I know it lol

I've heard rotten things about the switch version having pretty bad performance issues. Did that ever get patched?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I've heard rotten things about the switch version having pretty bad performance issues. Did that ever get patched?

According to comments in that thread, not really. Hopefully they'll keep working on it

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

https://www.rpgsite.net/news/10865-square-enix-shares-new-content-details-and-development-team-messages-for-saga-frontier-remastered

all this stuff about the fuse scenario sounds fully kickass and kawazu is a madman. i'm fuckin pumped lol, this sounds like the gold standard for a remaster

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

i heard they patched some of it but idk about the rest. also does anyone know if you still have to pay ten bucks to get dante instead of raidou kuzunoha, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SaGa Frontier remaster is going to be amazing and all that Fuse stuff sounds rad as hell

Blue being recruitable....