Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Note to self: watching the later episodes of Eva during a week where you're stressed AF at work and having a very bad case of depression and loneliness is a bad, baaaaad combination.

Last week was rough.

Congratulations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Bold new plan to fight planetary climate change by building a gaddang huge triangle

Needs other shapes in other cities

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
Regarding Anno's reasons for the foregoing of creating a new series or movie in order to create the Rebuilds, there are a couple interviews out there that have been translated from Japanese in which Anno states that he wanted to work on new projects but he simply couldn't raise the money on his own (this was past the point where his relationship with Gainax had soured). It seemed like the only way for him to get any sort of project off the ground was to re-do Eva. Now that Eva's well and truly done Anno will hopefully have the financial freedom to get something totally new off the ground if he wishes to.

Also, there's a bit of Evangelion chat in this making-of video for Anno's Love and Pop, with Anno stating he was unhappy with the a lot of the live-action footage he shot for EoE and how so much of it ended up on the cutting room floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQlv04J274Q

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Amateurs watched RahXephon to get their pseudo-Eva anime fix when they were dumb teenagers, I watched Dual!, which is What If Eva but Tenchi? and it aired alongside Serial Experiment Lain on TechTV which is just a hell of a tonal combo. Watching a meditation on isolation, communication, identity and technology right after a show with an episode where the lead character has to pretend to be a girl pilot and the usual “boy pretending to be a girl” anime shenanigans ensue (does he grope his fake chest? It’s the Tenchi guy what the gently caress do you think?)

Seriously there’s a Rei, an Asuka, a Shinji, a Gendo, and a Yui, all jumbled up and also sometimes two of them since it’s whole gimmick is parallel universes. the first episode ends with the young male protagonist catching an emotionless young woman who can no longer pilot a giant robot and being forced to pilot himself despite his inexperience. It is hilariously unsubtle about its influences and it only stops being Eva long enough to be a harem anime. It was not good but I ate that poo poo up because I was 13 and didn’t know any better. It was only one season, I imagine that it bombed and the Tenchi guy learned his lesson, which was “just put the word Tenchi in the title if you want your show to sell”

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 16, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dylazodelan posted:

Regarding Anno's reasons for the foregoing of creating a new series or movie in order to create the Rebuilds, there are a couple interviews out there that have been translated from Japanese in which Anno states that he wanted to work on new projects but he simply couldn't raise the money on his own (this was past the point where his relationship with Gainax had soured). It seemed like the only way for him to get any sort of project off the ground was to re-do Eva. Now that Eva's well and truly done Anno will hopefully have the financial freedom to get something totally new off the ground if he wishes to.

Well, the first three movies gave Khara enough freedom for Dragon Dentist and the Animator Expo, so there's some grounding for hope. Khara's also coproducing Shin Ultraman, so Anno's going to have at least one non-Eva project with them before the year's out.

I'm definitely interested where this all goes from here. You've got a studio with a bunch of talented directors (including Anno, obviously) on the one end, freed from the project that's been their focus for more than a decade, and that's probably the most interesting part, but you also have Evangelion cut loose.

I say more than I know here, I admit it in advance, but even considered as derivative works, Evangelion manga and games have always felt bound by the shadow of the End of Evangelion. That there's a Bad Ending (or at least, a grim and ambiguous one) that's the proper fate of these beloved characters, and even avoiding it in a story still leaves it as the baseline everything else is reacting to. It's an unsettling effect, in a way.

Now there's a different ending, and Anno's stepped away from Eva on good terms, it kind of leaves the next big project (should there be one) a lot more freedom to determine what Eva's going to be from now on. And I'm interested to see what would happen there.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
3.33 Third Impact stuff based on info from 3.0+1.0: that crashed VTOL in Lillith's chamber was piloted by Kaji.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
So I broke down and read up on all the spoilers I could and while I have Opinions, I'd rather wait until I can see the movie for myself before jumping off half cocked.

chiasaur11 posted:

Now there's a different ending, and Anno's stepped away from Eva on good terms, it kind of leaves the next big project (should there be one) a lot more freedom to determine what Eva's going to be from now on. And I'm interested to see what would happen there.

I feel like if there's going to be another big Evangelion project, it'll center around the time gap between 2 and 3. It's a pretty big hole that's ripe to fill with movies, series, light novels or manga or video games. Or just more buckets.

Archer666 fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 16, 2021

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

DC Murderverse posted:

Amateurs watched RahXephon to get their pseudo-Eva anime fix when they were dumb teenagers, I watched Dual!, which is What If Eva but Tenchi? and it aired alongside Serial Experiment Lain on TechTV which is just a hell of a tonal combo. Watching a meditation on isolation, communication, identity and technology right after a show with an episode where the lead character has to pretend to be a girl pilot and the usual “boy pretending to be a girl” anime shenanigans ensue (does he grope his fake chest? It’s the Tenchi guy what the gently caress do you think?)

Seriously there’s a Rei, an Asuka, a Shinji, a Gendo, and a Yui, all jumbled up and also sometimes two of them since it’s whole gimmick is parallel universes. the first episode ends with the young male protagonist catching an emotionless young woman who can no longer pilot a giant robot and being forced to pilot himself despite his inexperience. It is hilariously unsubtle about its influences and it only stops being Eva long enough to be a harem anime. It was not good but I ate that poo poo up because I was 13 and didn’t know any better. It was only one season, I imagine that it bombed and the Tenchi guy learned his lesson, which was “just put the word Tenchi in the title if you want your show to sell”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAGO4mLigk0

I watched it and I regret nothing

It was......fine

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Weird BIAS posted:

I think a lot of it comes down to Anno's directing. The choice to do some things in a post modernist presentation is what always drew me to it in the first place. It's a 26 episode series so it's not too long but long enough to get to know characters. Lots of solid introspection episodes at various points, and while he's willing to be post-modernist and abstract Anno was never afraid of making a scene be incredibly grounded, slow or painful. The elevator scene, Shinji in bed at multiple points, train scenes, Kaworu's death and Misato crying on the phone come to mind.

I agree with this: it's not like giant war machines acting as entities swinging between the Id and the Super-Ego of the pilot was a novel concept in the 90s. The whole early Gundam franchise hinges upon the next step in human evolution, space-born humans with enhanced empathy. It's Anno's directing in showing a tale of vulnerability with a more grounded and less romantic approach, that gives the show a distinct personality.

Char fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 16, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And I really appreciate how he represents teenagers in relation to adults. It's hardly the first show to have teens act like teens but juxtaposing their actions against actual adults works incredibly well in the show. Asuka's infatuation with Kaji helps emphasize that she is still a teenager but her lack of a support structure to fall back on drives her to try to act more like an adult where it's considered more acceptable to be independent and not rely on others. Part of it is the immaturity of a fourteen year old but it also plays very well into her troubles even as Kaji tries his best to look after her while he's her guardian.

I could probably write this better but I'm just trying to articulate that they're teens who act like teens and the adults either through good intentions or through being incapable to cope with their own problems end up letting the children down.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

3.33 Third Impact stuff based on info from 3.0+1.0: that crashed VTOL in Lillith's chamber was piloted by Kaji.

That sounds like it near-confirms a pet theory I've had about 3.33, that between Shinji being sealed up and being awoken years later, the Rebuild version of Armisael merged with the Mark 6 and successfully breached Terminal Dogma to join Lilith and set off another impact that then had to be stopped with the spears.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Has anybody ever written an essay about Eva titled: "Get in the Patriarchy Shinji." ?

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

That sounds like it near-confirms a pet theory I've had about 3.33, that between Shinji being sealed up and being awoken years later, the Rebuild version of Armisael merged with the Mark 6 and successfully breached Terminal Dogma to join Lilith and set off another impact that then had to be stopped with the spears.

I thought this was pretty obvious, like 01 got parked for a long while and poo poo really got worse a whole angel or three later.

It's almost cruel that everyone treats Shinji like such poo poo in 3.0 when it wasn't even specifically his incident that screwed everything up as bad as it was.

What cooks my noodle is: Who was piloting Mark 6? I haven't seen 3.0+1.0 yet. Also I think I just got why they don't call it 4.44.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Shinjobi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAGO4mLigk0

I watched it and I regret nothing

It was......fine

Getting a lot of Tenchi Muyo GXP vibes from that op. Considering that show had the harem protagonist marry all the love interests at the end I'm guessing this show handles romance in the same way.

Edit: just rewatched the GXP OP and those shows definitely shared a character designer.

https://youtu.be/u6yf8FNdB-s

Nyeehg fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 16, 2021

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ranzear posted:

Who was piloting Mark 6?

I've long assumed that the basic flow of events post-N3I goes something like: Kaowru+Mark 6 take over as Nerv's main weapons against the angels, maybe kill an angel or two (I forget how many numbers we miss between movies), Mark 6 gets modified into an "autonomous unit", presumably via a dummy plug of some sort, Rebuild!Armisael arrives, Dummy Plug!Mark 6 sorties against it, gets possessed like Rei nearly did in the original, reaches Lilith, cue Komm Susser Todd

Somewhere in these events Misato quits/gets fired and Shinji gets thrown into orbit to sit there till 3.0 hits.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Soundtrack for 3.0+1.0 is out now. I've been avoiding spoilers and I just skimmed the track names and they're all pretty vague thankfully.

EDIT: God I love that emotional Shiro Sagisu orchestral work. Really hits you right in the heart.
EDIT 2: AHHHHHH this is so loving good.
EDIT 3: HOLY poo poo, "Yearning for Your Love" whaaaa...? So unexpected, like he's breaking into some Yoko Kanno-style variety. I love this poo poo!
EDIT 4: "Hand of Fate" hell yeah, more interesting vocal tracks. This really does feel like Sagiso is going full Yoko Kanno.
EDIT 5: "Lost in the Memory" hahahaha, okay, so he's going into this 70s folk phase? I dig it, though the lyrics in english might be a bit toooooo earnest.
EDIT 6: Uhhh, last tracks on Disc 1... 激突!轟天対大魔艦 sounded completely foreign to his style so I looked it up and it's the theme to an old Japanese sci-fi movie The War in Space! Sagisu, you madman.

EDIT 7: Finished Discs 1&2 and skipped around Disc 3 (I think it's mainly bonus tracks)

This soundtrack is a masterpiece. I love how a lot of my favorite songs are Rebuild-original, not just callbacks to older series staples.

EDIT 8: Whoops! Actually, apparently I'm also really in love with a Kare Kano song that he pulled all the way into Rebuild 2.0 and this new movie. It's so bittersweet. No wonder I remember it, it's subconscious from when I saw that show decades ago. I think he's used a few Kare Kano songs in this new movie. His new arrangements really elevate the tracks, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rviO1-mzTqk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG2Gq9Pfq8Q

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 17, 2021

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Oh! You're totally right. I think they did mention Mark 6 going autonomous in 3.0.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Nyeehg posted:

Getting a lot of Tenchi Muyo GXP vibes from that op. Considering that show had the harem protagonist marry all the love interests at the end I'm guessing this show handles romance in the same way.

Edit: just rewatched the GXP OP and those shows definitely shared a character designer.

https://youtu.be/u6yf8FNdB-s
Yeah several characters were back ground characters in GXP including the main character's mech.
Ends with Merging two realities together and making it so he's related to half the cast instead. It's pretty wholesome instead of creepy.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
https://twitter.com/Zerochan/status/1371951724567535616?s=20

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sudden thought/question for anyone who might know: Does 3.0 + 1.0 provide any explanation/hints/oblique answers about what's going on with the Rebuild continuity having multiple Adams?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

Sudden thought/question for anyone who might know: Does 3.0 + 1.0 provide any explanation/hints/oblique answers about what's going on with the Rebuild continuity having multiple Adams?

Not that I noticed.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

RillAkBea posted:

Not that I noticed.

I wonder if they had some plans there that just got quietly dropped. The three adams + Rei 9's Eva whatever number it was being "A Vessel Of Adams" feels like a lot of important stuff to just insert in there and have ultimately not matter....Like yeah I know MOST of the lore doesn't actually matter because it's ultimately just about Shinji, but even by that standard!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Well, not quite. It seems like there are multiple Adams and a Vessel for each of them. We don't know much about them, but people really forget how much we knew about the Angels in the original series. I know Reichu's theory was that there was a singular Adam who was split into Adams, which became the Evangelion units and pilots. Which seems to broadly fit with how Adams is both singular and plural. Who knows how well that fits with Shin given the stuff about multiple Adams vessels but also how there's not just four crosses at site of Second Impact (one for each Adam) but five with one looking different to the rest.

Spiritus Nox posted:

I've long assumed that the basic flow of events post-N3I goes something like: Kaowru+Mark 6 take over as Nerv's main weapons against the angels, maybe kill an angel or two (I forget how many numbers we miss between movies), Mark 6 gets modified into an "autonomous unit", presumably via a dummy plug of some sort, Rebuild!Armisael arrives, Dummy Plug!Mark 6 sorties against it, gets possessed like Rei nearly did in the original, reaches Lilith, cue Komm Susser Todd

Somewhere in these events Misato quits/gets fired and Shinji gets thrown into orbit to sit there till 3.0 hits.

This seems fairly accurate, yeah. There's one bit of info, however, that might help. It technically showed up in the 2.22 preview bit and implied by 3.33 but was seemingly confirmed by 3.0+1.0 which is that Kaworu was Commander Nagisa of NERV, and may explain why Mark 6 was made autonomous - he was no longer the pilot. That, or people just wanted kids out of Evas after N3I. Which means Gendo and Fuyutsuki must've bailed out of Tokyo-3 pretty soon after N3I. I'm going to sit down with all the bits and pieces once I've seen Shin and see if I can hash out a likely timeline of everything that happened.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 17, 2021

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Congratulations!

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
God drat I need the new soundtrack. I've enjoyed each rebuild soundtrack more than the previous one.

On the subject of soundtracks, is there any point in getting the 25th anniversary soundtrack if I already own the S2 works box set released after the End or Evangelion? I'm guessing it contains 99% the same stuff but figured I'd ask here.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Nyeehg posted:

God drat I need the new soundtrack. I've enjoyed each rebuild soundtrack more than the previous one.

On the subject of soundtracks, is there any point in getting the 25th anniversary soundtrack if I already own the S2 works box set released after the End or Evangelion? I'm guessing it contains 99% the same stuff but figured I'd ask here.

If its anything like the previous soundtrack releases, its just a repackage of the same stuff with maybe 1 or 2 new/rerecorded tracks and some new art work.

Personally I'm waiting for them to reissue a new vinyl collection, to pair with my growing Evangelion laserdisc collection..

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Archer666 posted:

If its anything like the previous soundtrack releases, its just a repackage of the same stuff with maybe 1 or 2 new/rerecorded tracks and some new art work.

Personally I'm waiting for them to reissue a new vinyl collection, to pair with my growing Evangelion laserdisc collection..

I figured that was the case. Managed to dig up a track list and from what I can tell the only thing on here missing from the S2 works is the piano version of Jesus bleibet meine freude used in the End of Evangelion. Yeah, not worth shelling out £80.

Incidentally the S2 works contain at least 2 strings arrangements of Jesus beibet meine freude that aren't used in the film or TV series and at least 5 alternate arrangements of Pachelbel's Canon (couldn't tell you why).

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

They were removed years ago already actually.

e: It's also not strictly untrue since Gainax only contributed 4 employees at a time to animation and was primarily just the IP entity while Tatsunoko did the bulk along with outsourcing.

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 17, 2021

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

I could be talking out my rear end on this but did it also kind of start the subgenre of existentialist mecha shows? Certainly felt like more shows started doing introspection and weird sharp tonal shifts after it aired. Sadly, like the harems that riff off the archetypes in Eva, these shows often take the surface level view of things and don't strike at the meanings behind it. That's not to say Eva doesn't get pretentious a lot of the time (because all that judeo Christian iconography in the visual design and the classical music makes me roll my eyes,) but the underlying script and thematic elements are solid as a rock.

ideon is from 1980

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I just came here to post that

Evangelion rocks
Rebuild of Evangelion rocks
One Last Kiss rocks
Anno rocks
It all fuckin' rocks

and I hope you have a good day

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Pretty incredible someone has the .srt sorted out before the camrip has even leaked.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

dishwasherlove posted:

Pretty incredible someone has the .srt sorted out before the camrip has even leaked.
Well, I’m guessing maybe someone recorded the audio since that’s a lot easier to do with even your phone in your pocket which would allow translator groups to time all the lines perfectly and just wait for the video track to come in.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dishwasherlove posted:

It makes sense, given that the script leaked an hour before the movie came out thanks to a google glass app. Means most of the work can be done in advance without having to run the risk of going to the movie and having a camera out.

Paper Lion posted:

ideon is from 1980

Yes, it is.

However, while Ideon is an influence on Evangelion, and their finales are similarly trippy, it's primarily a standard monster-of-the-week show with a movie that gets existential. Meanwhile, Evangelion puts an emphasis on the inner lives of the characters over the external enemies from the beginning. Skipping over the fight and only flashing back to it later (a trick later borrowed by Iron Blooded Orphans in the Mobile Armor arc) meant that the focus was on Shinji and Rei's reactions over the actual combat from the start.

Basically, Ideon may have been an inspiration for Eva, but it's Eva that turned that inspiration into the introspection that came to define a whole subgenre.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Man I can't wait to see how SRW tries spinning all this poo poo.

Hell, have the finale of shin Evangelion being the stage 0 the game, and then we play on this new world.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Siegkrow posted:

Hell, have the finale of shin Evangelion being the stage 0 the game, and then we play on this new world.

Super Robot Wars Alpha 3 already actually had an original plot where Shinji battles a godlike Eva-01 copy to thwart Gendo so you're halfway there.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Siegkrow posted:

It doesn't seem all that hard actually? The first SRW to include the full Rebuild plotline won't remotely be the first to include either an apocalyptic event or a world-reset kind of ending. I think SRWZ had multiple of each of those to write around and it did so just fine, and that was in *2008* lol. And none of the rest is really meaningfully weirder for SRW's purposes than any other large-scale Super Robot stuff they've done.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Siegkrow posted:

That seems like a terrible idea in more ways than I care to count. On the other hand, it would be hilarious to have Evangelion on the box, and then have its role past the prologue amount to Shinji being a salaryman who has occasional cameos when his company is selling your troops box lunches or something.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Spiritus Nox posted:

It doesn't seem all that hard actually? The first SRW to include the full Rebuild plotline won't remotely be the first to include either an apocalyptic event or a world-reset kind of ending. I think SRWZ had multiple of each of those to write around and it did so just fine, and that was in *2008* lol. And none of the rest is really meaningfully weirder for SRW's purposes than any other large-scale Super Robot stuff they've done.

Oh I was being completely earnest there, no sarcasm, I ACTUALLY cannot wait to see how they spin it

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
saw some people talking about what happened between the second and third films. apparently the last film features a shot when we learn about kaji and third impact, of mark 6 decapitating lillith while she's masked and on the cross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Horizon Burning posted:

saw some people talking about what happened between the second and third films. apparently the last film features a shot when we learn about kaji and third impact, of mark 6 decapitating lillith while she's masked and on the cross

I still wanna know what happened at that meeting with multiple Reis and that phone call that were both featured in the teaser.