Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Still doesn't change that it was meant to support both 1.43:1 and 1.85:1 then and 4:3 makes less sense than anything.

Because the difference between 1.33:1 and 1.43:1 is pretty much negligible? It probably saved time to not have to bother cropping the whole 4 hour movie, shot-by-shot, by just a very tiny bit when the full-frame is already composed fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

4:3 is the chad aspect ratio

You may not like it, but this is the peak aspect ratio.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Quotey posted:

You may not like it, but this is the peak aspect ratio.

I literally cannot believe, still to this day, that this is how the Whedon cut opens lmao

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

I literally cannot believe, still to this day, that this is how the Whedon cut opens lmao

Gotta give people Their Superman. Please like our movie!!!!

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Oh my god I legit just spat on my monitor. :lol:

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Why'd they do the movie in 4:3

Is there a good explanation that I am not understanding. I don't like seeing the edges of my TV.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

smoobles posted:

Is there a good explanation that I am not understanding. I don't like seeing the edges of my TV.

It was shot in IMAX thats why

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

smoobles posted:

I mean we literally just had that conversation? lmao

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

It was shot on 35mm 4-perf and framed in flat, obviously with the intention of making an easy IMAX compatible version and simultaneously a more conventional theatrical release (choosing to frame in flat is itself a choice for a big action film)

Either option was obviously thought out during cinematography so choosing to go with the 4:3 over 1:85 for a home release is still a deliberate choice that should have an explanation imo

There's perfectly good reasons to choose 4:3 and we've seen lots of great movies use it to convey claustrophobia, direct intimacy with characters, connect to a bygone era or make the audience aware they are being denied the full picture. Does that fit with aliens punching each other? who knows

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Vintersorg posted:

Is it just the birthdate Whedon hosed up?

no, it was the whole movie

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Jesus Christ, the audience score on RT for this thing is 97% with >5,000 reviews. :stare:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

kustomkarkommando posted:

Either option was obviously thought out during cinematography so choosing to go with the 4:3 over 1:85 for a home release is still a deliberate choice that should have an explanation imo

Yeah this was my point

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

sean10mm posted:

Jesus Christ, the audience score on RT for this thing is 97% with >5,000 reviews. :stare:

It's a good movie

One thing I appreciate is that Zack really understands The Flash. Just a mind-bogglingly powerful nerd whose troubles are almost always his own making. It's a shame WB's heads are so far up their asses they probably won't keep Snyder's original arcs in play because, man, the Flashpoint teases are pretty wild.

Also loved watching the Discord stream and seeing every flip over Granny Goodness.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'm pretty sure at this current point the only people doing user reviews for The 4 Years Later Four Hour Long Justice League Cut are people who have been actively looking forward to it.

User reviews might see a dip depending on the eventual RLM review? If they review it?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The 4:3 is good because 4:3 is closer to the more vertical panel layouts of comics, and thus snyder is able to compose shots that feel more like comic panels and page spreads than would be otherwise possible in 1.85 or 2.35.

E: the shot of Cyborg looking out of the ruined window straight up feels like a full page comic book title page, for instance.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I have a whole plan to watch this movie tomorrow but the self control needed to not do this now is great

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Neurolimal posted:

I'm pretty sure at this current point the only people doing user reviews for The 4 Years Later Four Hour Long Justice League Cut are people who have been actively looking forward to it.

User reviews might see a dip depending on the eventual RLM review? If they review it?

Yeah this is basically Cinemascore via RT, what you should take that score to mean is that nearly every single person who was chomping at the bit to see ZSJL was satisfied with it, nothing more.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

E: the shot of Cyborg looking out of the ruined window straight up feels like a full page comic book title page, for instance.

Oh yeah, for sure. This shot especially made me think "this looks like a comic book panel". Actually, I thought about that a lot with any shot of Cyborg in the apartment. Just way the blocking was set up.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Gatts posted:

I have a whole plan to watch this movie tomorrow but the self control needed to not do this now is great

I randomly woke up at 4am this morning. Missed the goonstream but it was a like a fever dream at first and amazing. It ended with me going to work at credits. Then I ran it again while working.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

I love love love love the "Everybody Knows" song for this opening too because

quote:

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded
Everybody rolls with their fingers crossed
Everybody knows the war is over
Everybody knows the good guys lost
Everybody knows the fight was fixed
The poor stay poor, the rich get rich

That's how it goes
Everybody knows

Everybody knows that the boat is leaking
Everybody knows that the captain lied
Everybody got this broken feeling
Like their father or their dog just died

Everybody talking to their pockets
Everybody wants a box of chocolates
And a long-stem rose
Everybody knows

You could not have had a more on the nose song choice for the theatrical release of this movie.

And it is a loving industry miracle that now, 4 loving years later, we got what we got.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I just finished it.

Yeah I liked it. Go figure

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011

Why does watching a movie in a circle hurt my eyes?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
This may be just a DC Comics thing, but I have no clue what the gently caress the deal with the Anti-Life Equation is. It's like a mathematical formula that makes you go insane? Why would an equation be "on a planet"? And why only one planet??

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
Yea the three infinity boxes are kind of lazy even by macguffin standards.

gregday
May 23, 2003

2house2fly posted:

This may be just a DC Comics thing, but I have no clue what the gently caress the deal with the Anti-Life Equation is. It's like a mathematical formula that makes you go insane? Why would an equation be "on a planet"? And why only one planet??

Wait until you see Tenet where the macguffin is a physical algorithm.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Kinda looks like Zod! (sorry Michael Shannon :ohdear:)

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

2house2fly posted:

The anti-life equation is one of things that’s wildly different in form from version to version but usually has the net nature of “is some kind of elemental proof that, when witnessed, brings absolute despair to the person that comprehends it.” In a much earlier version of justice league (pitched as a trilogy) that Zack released concept art of recently, the equation was a logic puzzle that the riddler solved, and then promptly blew his brains out in front of batman.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

:stonk:

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Yeah, it's a mathematical equation that causes the listener to understand that all life is meaningless.

It being burned into the planet is probably just for clarity for cinema purposes. It was originally in the mind of a person who kept it secret in the comics, but introducing Bates to a movie would cause all sorts of shenanigans that would not fit in a movie.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

My mind short-circuited a little. I thought they maybe had a stand-in or recast Cavill.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Axel Serenity posted:

Yeah, it's a mathematical equation that causes the listener to understand that all life is meaningless.

So it's the Internet.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

gregday posted:

Wait until you see Tenet where the macguffin is a physical algorithm.

Yeah antilife is just like Tenet. It's an equation that is sometimes represented physically that will by default control all sentient life. And Darkseid is an actual multiversal constant, so it affects everything. This movie Darkseid is default Canon to the comics as is Superfriends one that was thirsty for Wonder Woman.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

sooooo muuuuch slomo

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I'm only like a hour and half in but I like the extra Cyborg stuff so far.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Axel Serenity posted:

One thing I appreciate is that Zack really understands The Flash. Just a mind-bogglingly powerful nerd whose troubles are almost always his own making.

I appreciated that moment near the end when some parademon bug minion at a turret is able to reason out firing in the Flash's path and letting the blast knock him over. For that matter, "ice skating" is a pretty good description for his running, one catch and he goes sliding away.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

lmao

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Loved Mera lugging around a couple of jerry cans of water in the desert apocalypse. Can't waste a drop!

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Space Fish posted:

I appreciated that moment near the end when some parademon bug minion at a turret is able to reason out firing in the Flash's path and letting the blast knock him over. For that matter, "ice skating" is a pretty good description for his running, one catch and he goes sliding away.

Best part of the movie. Give that bug a loving medal. He literally won the battle for Darkseid. If it wasn't for that loving cheat, we would all be Darkseid now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Space Fish posted:

yeah that was very cool

unrelated to that moment, Diana was so loving badass. Loved her action sequences.