Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Harminoff posted:

Exanima would be the ultimate roguelike. With how the combat works, having random dungeons/enemies/weapons would be amazing.
qwop rogue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Ronin Mode coming for Tangledeep's next update---gist of it sounds like it'll be less laden with spinning plates in such a way as to better vibe with a fair number in the thread.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Ronin Mode coming for Tangledeep's next update---gist of it sounds like it'll be less laden with spinning plates in such a way as to better vibe with a fair number in the thread.

/reads

Ehh it seems an alternative version to the job system, where you are given a RNG job basically, but the plates are going to be mostly the same: abilities with 2 resources, consumables, same weapons, orbs, cooking, pets, etc

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I really like ADOM: CoC, but I'm a newbie to the Genre, for the most part. I think I played a handful of games with roguelike elements like BoI and RoR, but I started playing some of the free ones and I'm very hooked at these games. CoC is tons of fun too, it's got great music and good visuals and I like zooming out and zooming in and rotating the camera and all that good poo poo!

Unfortunately, it's become my most frustrating game because it is probably the least stable EA game I've played (unfair, the only EA game I played before this was RoR2). It crashes every 30 minutes or so like clockwork and its really quite frustrating. The roguelike I want to make will be taking quite a few cues from CoC, especially in how it handles its graphics, but good lord Biskup, please make the game stable and have an endgame first.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I really like ADOM: CoC, but I'm a newbie to the Genre, for the most part. I think I played a handful of games with roguelike elements like BoI and RoR, but I started playing some of the free ones and I'm very hooked at these games. CoC is tons of fun too, it's got great music and good visuals and I like zooming out and zooming in and rotating the camera and all that good poo poo!

Unfortunately, it's become my most frustrating game because it is probably the least stable EA game I've played (unfair, the only EA game I played before this was RoR2). It crashes every 30 minutes or so like clockwork and its really quite frustrating. The roguelike I want to make will be taking quite a few cues from CoC, especially in how it handles its graphics, but good lord Biskup, please make the game stable and have an endgame first.

It's a very early Alpha is the culprit.

And somehow it's better than some other EA games still.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

It's going to be about two years before UADOM really comes together, if history is anything to go by.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I remain optimistic about the UADOM roadmap targets given the spacing, seems Hives and perhaps...Piercings...are en route any day now'ish perhaps alongside whatever else is simmering.

Ronin Reckonings for Tangledeep:

quote:

Hello adventurers! Patch 1.4 introduces Ronin Mode, a new challenge that gives you a wildly-variable set of skills, new monster encounters, and a streamlined dungeon!

Ronin Mode Basics

In this mode, you do not pick a job. In fact, the job system is effectively removed!

Instead, when you start the game, you are assigned 12 random active abilities and 6 random passive abilities, all of which are purchased with JP. These abilities come from an enormous pool of skills and include over 50 NEW, never-before-learnable skills such as effects from Legendary items. We guarantee you will find some interesting combinations!

As you venture through Tangledeep as a Ronin, you'll also find not just more monsters, but also randomly-generated monsters (similar to Wanderer's Journeys in Legend of Shara) fighting alongside the monster ensemble you're used to.

You'll have to use observation, tactics, and ingenuity to learn the abilities & patterns of these new monsters and overcome them. Not to mention... they can be captured as pets!

If your character is defeated, you'll retain your "meta" progress like in Heroic Mode, but you will have to roll a new character with new skills. That's just how it is!

Other Ronin Mode Changes

There are a variety of other tweaks in Ronin Mode to generally streamline the game and encourage that "one more run" style of gameplay we all know and love.

Gold find rate is increased by 33%
Magic items (equipment w/ affixes) are now +10% more common
Orbs of Reverie are more common
You can now access Job Trials anytime, as long as you have the JP
You can switch clothes at the wardrobe anytime, to any job
A powerful RELIC will be dropped by each of the 4 major bosses
Weapon Masteries cannot be learned, except for Ultimate Masteries, but may be assigned as starting skill(s)
The Mysterious Wanderer (from Legend of Shara) is no longer available
Either Old Amber Station OR Fungal Caverns, and Ancient Ruins OR Stonehewn Halls, have been removed (no need to backtrack / jump back and forth between branches)

Overall, we hope that you'll find Ronin Mode a blast to play, even if you've beaten the game 10 times over. There's a lot of new possibilities and exciting encounters to discover. Good luck!

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Floor 15-ish has been rough in Tangledeep. The art is really great up here but I'm getting hammered. I had a 2H sword parry build that was doing really well but some of these ranged magic mobs are hell. Especially the shadow ones because I haven't run across any real +shadow defense items/equipment so they can hit at range for a couple hundred. I'm not sure if it's my build, I'm under-leveled (12-ish), or my gear isn't good enough.

It sucks when you need build specific gear and get unlucky. I've never found a better than uncommon 2h sword, but at least they have mechanics to forge a decent one through the item enchanting merchant/item dungeons. I just did the wanderer dungeon for the first time and unfortunately got a Paladin specific chest armor which doesn't do much for my build though the stats are okay. Doing 10-15 levels of the wanderer dungeon to maybe get a piece of useful gear is kind of a pisser. Though maybe I should take it as a sign from the gods and drop the 2H perk and go all in on Paladin skills.

Despite complaining about the reward I did find the wanderer dungeon super fun. Being stripped of all the meta stuff was a nice change of pace. I haven't explored any of the other no-meta options but I think I'll focus on those after I beat the game.

The better pet might help but I haven't messed with the system much as I've never been fond of pet breeding/capturing mini games. I've only ever used the starting frog and tried to breed it once with a quest special beetle but I ended up with a terrible frog worse than the starter. I never save scum so if you need to breed a bunch of pets to get a good one I'll probably never bother.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 20, 2021

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Goodness gracious, the Eagle Temple in Curse of the Dead Gods is kicking my rear end. Not sure, but it really feels like this was a Darkest Dungeon-esque case where early access people complained the first two were too easy (since they were playing them for so long) so they upped the difficulty wayyyyy up for the last one they made. It's got the most annoying traps and there are no throwaway grunt enemies: every unit is very complex and has tons of annoying tricks. Ugh, now I'm starting to suffer from that AVGN thing: I actually made it all the way to the final boss of it the first few times, but I keep getting worse and worse now as I keep trying.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Tangledeep 2 also now subtly re-announced as A Thing Happening alongside Flowstone Saga.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

FuzzySlippers posted:

Floor 15-ish has been rough in Tangledeep. The art is really great up here but I'm getting hammered.

I gave some tips on the official thread.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

FutureCop posted:

Goodness gracious, the Eagle Temple in Curse of the Dead Gods is kicking my rear end. Not sure, but it really feels like this was a Darkest Dungeon-esque case where early access people complained the first two were too easy (since they were playing them for so long) so they upped the difficulty wayyyyy up for the last one they made. It's got the most annoying traps and there are no throwaway grunt enemies: every unit is very complex and has tons of annoying tricks. Ugh, now I'm starting to suffer from that AVGN thing: I actually made it all the way to the final boss of it the first few times, but I keep getting worse and worse now as I keep trying.

I laughed because that's exactly what happened. I read that people were beating the first two temples with just a torch so they made eagle temple much harder. gently caress those lightning babies, they're miserable to fight with close up weapons.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Is there a nice curated list of roguelikes, like the OP, but not from 2013?

The OP has a link in it that''s like "Hey the OP is out of date, but check out this google spreadsheet!" which is also dead lol

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Meme Emulator posted:

Is there a nice curated list of roguelikes, like the OP, but not from 2013?

The OP has a link in it that''s like "Hey the OP is out of date, but check out this google spreadsheet!" which is also dead lol

It's been nearly eight years, is it time for a new thread? We can call it Ultimate Roguelikes.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Occasionally someone has showed up saying they were gonna make a new thread with an updated OP but it's never actually come to pass.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
an updated OP list is a good idea but unfortunately i think it counts as metaprogression

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
keep this thread, and then make a new, separate thread

for discussing roguelikes

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

keep this thread, and then make a new, separate thread

for discussing roguelikes

keep this thread for discussing Rogue (1980) only. Any other discussion is ban worthy

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Things are for the most part still the same when it comes to freeware roguelikes but figuring out what's actually notable in the Steam roguelikes category for the past 5-6 years is a daunting task.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
As a new roguelike player, I too wish for an updated OP.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

We dont need to make a new OP, I like having old threads alive instead of sinking down into the depths where theyre not as easily searchable.

I didnt know if there was a reddit post or something to point people towards. Ive been out of the hobby since I got bored of stone soup, so probably around the time this OP got made

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

we always recommend looking at the goon made games

dungeonmans, caves of qud, sproggiwood, tangledeep, cogmind

it also helps to know if you are interested mainly in traditional roguelikes or are open to "procedural death labyrinth" type things or even card games with permadeath

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Awesome! posted:

we always recommend looking at the goon made games

dungeonmans, caves of qud, sproggiwood, tangledeep, cogmind

it also helps to know if you are interested mainly in traditional roguelikes or are open to "procedural death labyrinth" type things or even card games with permadeath

Ive pretty much explored the rougelite space, I wanted to get back into some regular old hack and slashing. I played crawl quite a bit but is it true that its forked into a bunch of different builds now?

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Caves of Qud is the best of the classic style roguelikes these days, for my money. Have a look in the Qud thread for beginner build discussion, there's some info on the last few pages.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Is the trad roguelike space even healthy now? Feels like everything is rogue* now.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

victrix posted:

Is the trad roguelike space even healthy now? Feels like everything is rogue* now.

CoQ and balls Cogmind are doing great currently. Jupiter Hell is also a great game.

There aren't that many trad roguelikes being released but there are good ones.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

victrix posted:

Depends on what you mean by healthy. I'd say the biggest issue is there's hardly anything new coming out and a lot of the older projects have gone inactive. Brogue and Sil came out around the era of the OP and they've since gone inactive.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
it does kjinda seem like if you have at all the skill set and passion to make your own roguelike you'd be infinitely better served by making one about a pixel character that does punches on a 2d plane with procgen levels and random power-ups than you would be spending 5 years making a custom time-tracking system to properly sequence character interactions inside of several turns. One of these is significantly harder and less tutorialized online than the other, and it's also the vastly less profitable one with a smaller audience.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

It depends on your skillset. There is nothing difficult about turn time/initiative systems. Most of the basic systems of a roguelike are significantly less of a headache than more fiddly real time control. Making anything turn based removes an incredible amount of bother, performance tuning, and edge case code. Just getting the game feel right for controller/physics code for something real time can be near endless dev. Roguelites also usually need better art and animation.

There are also a crazy amount of roguelites that get released on Steam that no one notices and just vanish into the vast Steam abyss with a handful of reviews. Even ones with pretty good art. So releasing the one millionth metroidvania roguelike or BoI clone is not a get rich quick scheme.

I do wonder if something like Low Magic Age struggles to find an audience because it's too between the worlds. Traditional roguelike players often seem content to play the same evolving RLs forever and don't need something that's less complex/has less content but with improved UI and art. OTOH, something like a traditional roguelike is often too rough art wise for a wider CRPG audience and requires too much commitment to get into.

perc2
May 16, 2020

victrix posted:

There are tons of new and interesting trad roguelikes, I think Roguebasin will give you an idea of some of the stuff people are making. I made a list of the best new ones to the space some months ago, but I can't find the post. There's plenty to explore though, looks like even old Moria is getting updates!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

perc2 posted:

There are tons of new and interesting trad roguelikes, I think Roguebasin will give you an idea of some of the stuff people are making. I made a list of the best new ones to the space some months ago, but I can't find the post. There's plenty to explore though, looks like even old Moria is getting updates!

This one?

perc2 posted:

Apologies but we can do better for "hot" than an ancient version of ADOM ;)

Try:

Demon, a monster collecting roguelike with Shin Megami Tensei vibes: http://demon.ferretdev.org/

Shadow Of The Wyrm has got some decent meat and bones on it now: http://www.shadowofthewyrm.org/

FrogComPosband is the latest hotness in disgustingly ridiculous *band variants: https://github.com/sulkasormi/frogcomposband/releases

If you want the same insanely overdeveloped thing but in a Nethack flavour, try Slash'EM Extended: https://nethackwiki.com/wiki/Slash%27EM_Extended

I think TGGW doesn't get enough love, mainly because it's like the spiritual successor to Incursion: http://www.thegroundgivesway.com/

Infra Arcana has Lovecraft vibes to the max: https://sites.google.com/site/infraarcana/home

You've probably heard of CDDA, but just in case; it's really fleshed out now and has a big community: https://cataclysmdda.org/

Finally Sil-Q, which although it's a *band variant, plays absolutely nothing like a *band and is an actively developed continuation of the legendary Sil: https://github.com/sil-quirk/sil-q/releases

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

infra arcana, doomrl, and caves of qud area always my go-to's for recommending traditional roguelikes to people

the first two are free while the third is worth every penny

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Yeah that probably covers most of the relatively recent stuff. There's also Zorbus which had enough of a following to get its own thread.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/GridSageGames/status/1373798373002678274

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i just figured out a weird trick in adom. since going up/down stairs doesn't use a turn and thus doesn't use satiation or allow monsters to take any actions, you can just go to the infinite dungeon and hold down 'h' on the stairs and special effect rooms are still generated. i made a macro to do this and periodically wipe my face from the mud rooms, let it run for a couple hours while i did other stuff, and well here's my level 15 ratling wizard:

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

fart simpson posted:

i just figured out a weird trick in adom. since going up/down stairs doesn't use a turn and thus doesn't use satiation or allow monsters to take any actions, you can just go to the infinite dungeon and hold down 'h' on the stairs and special effect rooms are still generated. i made a macro to do this and periodically wipe my face from the mud rooms, let it run for a couple hours while i did other stuff, and well here's my level 15 ratling wizard:

doing this and then chugging a starting potion of balance is a funny strat. big fan of biskup removing one kind of ID stair scumming (just going up and down looking for items to spawn in the starting rooms, now nothing spawns there) to accidentally leave another, much easier and more effective kind of stairscumming in.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i just got 20 skill increases on a level up and reading a book once gave me 3500 spell knowledge. now i gotta find a potion of exchange or balance

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

oh poo poo yeah potions of exchange, those are way better as long as you don't get really unlucky. they dont give a poo poo about stat potentials but i think potions of balance do i'm pretty sure. ultimate potion merchant strats

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

he'll yeah found a potion of exchange

now! thats what i call a wizard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

fart simpson posted:

It's a well known strat. You have to be careful though - as you may have noticed, the room that boosts Learning also abuses Strength all the way down to 1. You need to leave all your gear in Griffyard or you will be crushed to death by even a small amount of weight. The best way to get around it is to do the stair abuse right before you clear the Ogre Cave and with a few stomacemptia so you can eat every corpse that drops.