Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It was so so good. I loved it. Everything was better, and hell just more logical.

I also thought the chapters fantastic much like issues in a comic book series. Honestly this would function fine as a mini series.

So we know Whedon’s a creep and rear end in a top hat...but looking at how he cut out so much of Fisher, Morton, and the stuff involving Reed and Victors Mom...is he also a racist rear end in a top hat?

I figure if he tried pulling this stuff on Samuel L Jackson, he’d get his rear end kicked, but on a smaller actor looking for their break...like Fisher I can see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://twitter.com/GalaxyPeaBrain/status/1372637004823937031

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I really think this did improve Justice League in general from being a bad superhero movie to being... a slightly above average superhero movie?

The very last lines of the movie are a bit of a wet fart in my opinion and it blows my mind how Snyder can think it's a good idea to keep tossing versions of Hallelujah into his movies (it was bad in Watchmen, so naturally he decides to give it another go in the closing credits here), but overall, it's a more cohesive experience than the original so that's good?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

MazelTovCocktail posted:

It was so so good. I loved it. Everything was better, and hell just more logical.

I also thought the chapters fantastic much like issues in a comic book series. Honestly this would function fine as a mini series.

So we know Whedon’s a creep and rear end in a top hat...but looking at how he cut out so much of Fisher, Morton, and the stuff involving Reed and Victors Mom...is he also a racist rear end in a top hat?

I figure if he tried pulling this stuff on Samuel L Jackson, he’d get his rear end kicked, but on a smaller actor looking for their break...like Fisher I can see it.

I can definitely see why, all of the unrevealed abuse aside, Fisher was flat-pissed with what became of his storyline in the original cut. Just gross what was left over.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

it's insane how much great poo poo he cut just to spite cyborg it seemed. the scene where cyborg helps the poor mother was such a great moment, among many.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Memnaelar posted:

I really think this did improve Justice League in general from being a bad superhero movie to being... a slightly above average superhero movie?

The very last lines of the movie are a bit of a wet fart in my opinion and it blows my mind how Snyder can think it's a good idea to keep tossing versions of Hallelujah into his movies (it was bad in Watchmen, so naturally he decides to give it another go in the closing credits here), but overall, it's a more cohesive experience than the original so that's good?

His daughter loved the song and killed herself and he dedicated it to her, so ended with it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Note there are no non white Avengers in his movies.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
I'm not sure why so many people on social media are making GBS threads on this. I just watched it and it was pretty much as good and enjoyable as the final two Avenger movies. Hopefully, this does really well and there will be another JL film on the horizon.

mA fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 18, 2021

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Memnaelar posted:

I can definitely see why, all of the unrevealed abuse aside, Fisher was flat-pissed with what became of his storyline in the original cut. Just gross what was left over.

Oh yeah, even if some targets of Fisher’s anger may not have done anything to deserve it (I hear Hamada mentioned as one), I couldn’t even began to criticize him for being so angry. This should have been a huge stepping stone for him...and Joss turned him into a bland and milquetoast black sidekick.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMkpecrhdvU/

:unsmith:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1372668067768111104?s=20

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Darko posted:

Note there are no non white Avengers in his movies.

One of two black cast members in Firefly is a warrior woman subservient to the white captain. In Serenity, her big moment is wearing a dress.

Joss Whedon deserves bad things in his life.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

There was a lot of terrible stuff in it but overall it was better than the original. That's not saying much though.

Eh. I'm still a bigger fan of Marvel stuff.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Why is it 4:3, why is it so quiet, and why are there no subtitles?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Skyl3lazer posted:

because 4:3 looks cool, and your ears need to do some crossfit.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Skyl3lazer posted:

i didnt realize that, that's a bummer there aren't subs.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

4:3 is how I watch Evil Dead. And the Lighthouse is fuckin awesome.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Is this thread an elaborate Bizarro roleplay?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MacheteZombie posted:

i didnt realize that, that's a bummer there aren't subs.

Yes there are.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
What device are you using? There were subtitles for me last night on the 4K Chromecast.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

I'm watching it with subtitles right now.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
weird must just be that one poster's streaming provider

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Gonz posted:

What device are you using? There were subtitles for me last night on the 4K Chromecast.

Just on HBO max, idk. It says they're enabled but nope.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Hollismason posted:

Like seriously what director goes " Yeah everyone has flat screens now, 4:3 is the ratio that Imma go with". Whole movie is trash because of that.

Oh my god who gives a gently caress

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I have never in my life encountered the phrase "controversial aspect ratio" until this movie

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

well why not posted:

One of two black cast members in Firefly is a warrior woman subservient to the white captain. In Serenity, her big moment is wearing a dress.

Joss Whedon deserves bad things in his life.

Joss Whedon absolutely, unironically has referred to himself as a "nice guy" at multiple points in his life. I guarantee it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

Just on HBO max, idk. It says they're enabled but nope.

Mine worked, I keep them on at all times. Odd.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm about an hour into this thing, and so far I'm extremely impressed at how the story actually hangs together in the way you'd expect it to. It's not a jumbled mess anymore, at least so far.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

weekly font posted:

Joss Whedon absolutely, unironically has referred to himself as a "nice guy" at multiple points in his life. I guarantee it.
He’s basically the inverse of Zack.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I mean Lighthouse was 4:3 or whatever weird made up ratio and it owned

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

A tip for aspect ratio haters: you can achieve whatever ratio you like with judicious use of the zoom button, some black felt and some sticky tape to fix it to the screen.

Be the change you want to see.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

MazelTovCocktail posted:

He’s basically the inverse of Zack.

Milquetoast "calls himself a feminist too loudly in public" lib vs excitable, masculinity fetishizing libertarian?

Yeah, I see it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

weekly font posted:

Milquetoast "calls himself a feminist too loudly in public" lib vs excitable, masculinity fetishizing libertarian?

Yeah, I see it.

Zack is a progressive-Christian liberal.

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010
The aspect ratio stuff reminds me of old boomers complaining about wide-screen aspect ratios before wide-screen tvs were the norm.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Stink Billyums posted:

Every single one of the people who post like this have basically the same posting history, it's incredible.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Stink Billyums posted:

turn on ur monitor

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Skyl3lazer posted:

I mean Lighthouse was 4:3 or whatever weird made up ratio and it owned

So was Grand Budapest Hotel. But I think this is the first Blockbuster to do so in aeons.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Hated Batman v Superman, hated Whedon Cut, thoroughly enjoyed this. Huh.

Can't believe how well paced it is for four loving hours.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Darko posted:

Zack is a progressive-Christian liberal.

Maybe, and saying that isn't meant to be a personal slight against him, but dude definitely digs himself some Ayn Rand even if it is absolutely not to the extent shithead youtube essayists will ascribe to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

weekly font posted:

Dude definitely digs himself some Ayn Rand even if it is absolutely not to the extent shithead youtube essayists will ascribe to him.

If that’s the worst sin a Hollywood director commits...I’m cool with it.