Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

as an impressionable child what i have learned from last page is that most coffee is terrible, and complaining about and refusing to drink coffee is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

All coffee complainers/non drinkers should be banned imo.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The thought of not drinking coffee is heresy.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
drip drip
that's the sound of the coffees
drip drip
it's the sound that I miss

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

as an impressionable child what i have learned from last page is that most coffee is terrible, and complaining about and refusing to drink coffee is good.

mods pls

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011
drinking a cuppa after a brisk morning hike

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
second cup today

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

get out

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Ansible Adams posted:

drinking a cuppa after a brisk morning hike
hell yeah

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011
re: lovely coffee, i generally dont mind it. starbucks, gas station, diner, whatever. i guess it makes me appreciate the good beans i buy for myself. many people in my life, including my parents and some of my close friends, buy the big red drum of folgers and theres something very comforting about drinking several pots of bad coffee on a lazy weekend morning in the company of others .

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
starbucks is unforgivable given its price. there are so many gas station chains with way superior coffee thats like $1

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mediaphage posted:

i had three shots at 8pm after my run and i'm totally ready for bed now (i am aware that's probably about equal to a cup of brew)

even when i don't have any caffeine for weeks at a time, all i get from drinking too much is a headache or stomachache. where is this magical wakefulness people talk about

that was me up until a few years ago then megadoses gave me headaches and somewhat abruptly after that started caffeine after 9pm meant i wasn't sleeping that night. enjoy it, but keep that in the back of your head if you start having trouble falling asleep.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 17, 2021

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

new beans acquired today

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Midjack posted:

that was me up until a few years ago then megadoses gave me headaches and somewhat abruptly after that started caffeine after 9pm meant i wasn't sleeping that night. enjoy it, but keep that in the back of your head if you start having trouble falling asleep.

i don't sleep too well anyway, though that doesn't change whether i've had caffeine that month or not. it's just never affected me much at all.

still, it's something i keep an eye on

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

RustyKnight posted:

new beans acquired today

post you’re beans bag

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
gonna need a walk in the sun to the coffee place after this drat call

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

RustyKnight posted:

new beans acquired today

Congrats, I'm proud of u boo

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

does anyone have the mlg 360 noscope hypebrew video

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

yospos coffee crew should i try a mokapot

i really like bougie pourovers

but i want espresso so bad, ...without spending several hundred on a machine and a better grinder

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i like moka pots yeah. they're inexpensive so you're not out a ton if you don't care for it

just be aware they suck on electric ranges and do not work at all on inductions

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

and i guess, is there a big difference between different types of mokapots? steel vs. aluminum, I guess people think matters, and I see how it could from a heat conduction angle.

I have a gas stove

ty

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i've got both a bialetti (the heavy aluminum one) and an ikea one (thinner, think it's stainless). I don't notice much diff between the two

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i love my moka pot. it's also the best way to make camp coffee

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
having some coffee and watching the cat observe stuff outside before I have to sit in front of the bad screen again

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

having a coffee

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

yospos coffee crew should i try a mokapot

i really like bougie pourovers

but i want espresso so bad, ...without spending several hundred on a machine and a better grinder
get a refurb base breville unit and use ground beans. works great!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

get a refurb base breville unit and use ground beans. works great!

this is not a bad way to go but the solenoid valve is prone to failure ime.

op i know this is not necessarily what you want to hear but i would look for a deal on a gaggia classic/pro. they are not cheap but you can often find refurb, used or sales for a good deal (which is why i bring it up as even if you don’t want to get one now i’d keep an eye out). it will last forevvvvvvver. then later on get a capresso with as suggested preground beans or honestly just use your cheap grinder in the interim. it’s not as good as a purpose built but it’s way better than say starbucks.

also a reasonable affordable option depending on how often you want espresso is to get a nespresso. and if you mostly drink americanos or don’t necessarily require the crema or the super intensity of a straight espresso shot, an aeropress is a solid, low-cost choice

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

i will vouch for nespresso making perfectly decent coffee

i only wish it was easier to sample their flavours, they've got like 60 different varieties and 50 of them are only available as 10-packs from the nespresso store

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

counterpoint: moka is a really pleasant level of ritual for making good coffee, at a very affordable price.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

5pm coffee time

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
it’s 2 oclock

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Silver Alicorn posted:

it’s 2 oclock

it's five o clock somewhere

aol keyword party
Sep 27, 2005

you can find a pleasure of shooting prolific amounts of pictures,
had a 2pm iced coffee,

nice

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

haven't had that happened but I'll watch out for it. only thing that's gone wrong on my unit in like 10 years is the power wire for the Heather unit came off because it wasn't really attached properly. quick take apart and some half-assed soldering took care of that.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

If you go nespresso don't be suckered in by the reusable pods idea, they are a pain and never really work properly.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

If you go nespresso don't be suckered in by the reusable pods idea, they are a pain and never really work properly.

tbh i think that would defeat the point of the system even if they worked ok

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

mediaphage posted:

op i know this is not necessarily what you want to hear but i would look for a deal on a gaggia classic/pro. they are not cheap but you can often find refurb, used or sales for a good deal (which is why i bring it up as even if you don’t want to get one now i’d keep an eye out). it will last forevvvvvvver. then later on get a capresso with as suggested preground beans or honestly just use your cheap grinder in the interim. it’s not as good as a purpose built but it’s way better than say starbucks.

also a reasonable affordable option depending on how often you want espresso is to get a nespresso. and if you mostly drink americanos or don’t necessarily require the crema or the super intensity of a straight espresso shot, an aeropress is a solid, low-cost choice
I appreciate the info; that sorta thing is possible for me, ...I just want hope to get something near it without so much money

something that breaks in a year isn’t worth it, so I know I gotta spend big if I get a real espresso machine. it would get used multiple times daily

I have an aeropress and kinda hate it. I’ve had nespresso a lot and don’t really enjoy that either

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

mediaphage posted:

tbh i think that would defeat the point of the system even if they worked ok

Yes though just trying to create less waste.

I have these now
https://www.coffeeness.de/melitta-purista-test/

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

my moka pot tends to not be great at making fantastic coffee, but it's surprisingly good at taking stale-ish coffee and making it decent enough. It's kind of my salvage-mode brewing method compared to the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
moka hinges heavily on tamping / having just the right amount of restriction in the little basket going on to get enough backpressure to do its thing right. May need to involve strain gauges and linear actuators here.