Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

Moral talk: personally I am not a big fan of them, but mostly it comes from my parents beat up and stained cheap pot with their cheap poo poo pre ground coffee that was too course, pre grounded beans from supermarket are generally a no go unless they are especially marketed as moka grind.
I am personally ok with just my v60 and aeropress (but I am not that big of a fun of espressos tbh)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I appreciate the info; that sorta thing is possible for me, ...I just want hope to get something near it without so much money

something that breaks in a year isn’t worth it, so I know I gotta spend big if I get a real espresso machine. it would get used multiple times daily

I have an aeropress and kinda hate it. I’ve had nespresso a lot and don’t really enjoy that either

yeah i mean it’s hard to figure out where the right spend is. we have had a super automatic and it’s fine but it’s a pain in terms of figuring out when something goes wrong, so i don’t really ever recommend those. the real question imo is the quality delta between the really cheap (but “real”) espresso machines you’ll see from rando brands someplace like walmart vs entry level aficionado machines like the breville vs high quality (but still “cheap” compared to what a lot of coffee nerds try to push) like the gaggia classic pro. but $450 usd is a big ask!!

anyway discounting the grinder for the moment i’m not sure there’s a huge difference once you hit a certain level in terms of flavour but you probably do get a big difference in terms of durability and ease of repair. you also get more differentiation in terms of steam but i literally never use the steam wand on any machine really.

haha too bad about the aeropress. i like it but it is kind of a pain. cheap though!

out of curiosity what did you not like about the nespresso? (no judgment we all have our likes) i find the capsules to be pretty varied in terms of how much i like it. certainly as good as the basic superautomatics you find at small restaurants and the like.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

hey coffee snobs

i'm also a coffee snob and have a baratza encore and a variable bonavita gooseneck kettle and a chemex and an aeropress and a vacpot and a v60

i really like coffee, coffee is good

i also just started on new ~*~*~* brain meds *~*~*~*~ and lots of caffeine and them don't work well!

what decaf beans are worthwhile, should i just hit up my local intelligentsia and give that a try

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

minivanmegafun posted:

hey coffee snobs

i'm also a coffee snob and have a baratza encore and a variable bonavita gooseneck kettle and a chemex and an aeropress and a vacpot and a v60

i also just started on new ~*~*~* brain meds *~*~*~*~ and lots of caffeine and them don't work well!

what decaf beans are worthwhile, should i just hit up my local intelligentsia and give that a try

you might have good luck with that. i find that even most good roasters put out what i'd consider really subpar decaf beans, and most way overroast them in an attempt to get some flavour. if you're up for doing your own roasting you can get really great decaf green beans in (it's not like your local roast is decaffing them themselves). there are a few mail-order companies you can try, but i can't recommend any since i mostly just roast my own and haven't tried them.

with all that said, i do buy a bag of level ground decaf from time-to-time when i run out. it's good enough, or at least the stuff i have had, that i consider it reasonable coffee, not merely "good-for-decaf" coffee.

they're a canadian company and do all the standard feel-good stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/LEVEL-GROUND-Jitter-Ground-Coffee/dp/B00V69MEJ4

edit: just noticed that's a link to pre-ground stuff. assuming you're in the us, their beans may be available elsewhere, so worth getting if you see imo, as it's a good decaf.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 19, 2021

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

RustyKnight posted:

Moral talk: personally I am not a big fan of them, but mostly it comes from my parents beat up and stained cheap pot with their cheap poo poo pre ground coffee that was too course, pre grounded beans from supermarket are generally a no go unless they are especially marketed as moka grind.
I am personally ok with just my v60 and aeropress (but I am not that big of a fun of espressos tbh)

I've had most of my enjoyable moka pot roasts with the cafe bustelo bricks they sold at aldi. I still haven't figured out the magic grind size required for moka pot and always end up with bad coffee.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I've had most of my enjoyable moka pot roasts with the cafe bustelo bricks they sold at aldi. I still haven't figured out the magic grind size required for moka pot and always end up with bad coffee.

you may just like using robusta in it then

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
robusta makes me feel good

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Jonny 290 posted:

moka hinges heavily on tamping / having just the right amount of restriction in the little basket going on to get enough backpressure to do its thing right. May need to involve strain gauges and linear actuators here.

This guy mokkas

They also make a model called the Brikka which has a weighted valve that creates better back pressure and more espressoey coffee.

https://www.bialetti.com/it_en/coffee-makers/special/brikka-716.html

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ooh this is relevant to my interests thank you

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/dad__kapital/status/1372287248524267523

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

knox_harrington posted:

This guy mokkas

They also make a model called the Brikka which has a weighted valve that creates better back pressure and more espressoey coffee.

https://www.bialetti.com/it_en/coffee-makers/special/brikka-716.html
interesting, thank you

mr Scoop
Feb 13, 2006

Help! Someone! Cut my head off, it's trying to murder the rest of me!

Grimey Drawer

minivanmegafun posted:

hey coffee snobs

i think this is what my friend’s coffee shop uses and their decaf is pretty good

https://www.novelcoffeeroasters.com/collections/coffee/products/decaf-brazil

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

mediaphage posted:

you might have good luck with that. i find that even most good roasters put out what i'd consider really subpar decaf beans, and most way overroast them in an attempt to get some flavour. if you're up for doing your own roasting you can get really great decaf green beans in (it's not like your local roast is decaffing them themselves). there are a few mail-order companies you can try, but i can't recommend any since i mostly just roast my own and haven't tried them.

mr Scoop posted:

i think this is what my friend’s coffee shop uses and their decaf is pretty good

https://www.novelcoffeeroasters.com/collections/coffee/products/decaf-brazil

ty both! i'll probably try intelli first just because it's easy to get for me, but then try both of these

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
friday afternoon coffee

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I should not have opened the coffee thread. now I want coffee

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
join us friend, the water's coffee's fine

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

dringing a cup of coffee.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
on the coffee stout again. it's so yummy

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Chris Knight posted:

on the coffee stout again. it's so yummy

lagunitas discontinuing the cappuccino stout is one of the biggest heartbreakers of 2020 for me

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
cold brew

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

americanoing

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Saturday cofe

Don't got a care in the world but got plenty of beans
Ain't got no money in my pocket but we're already beans

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

shoeberto posted:

Saturday cofe

Don't got a care in the world but got plenty of beans
Ain't got no money in my pocket but we're already beans

this

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mediaphage posted:

americanoing

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/faces_of_jeff/status/1372866475229347843

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Drank 2 coffees this morning and am now ready to kill god.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
parody of smoke two joints by sublime called drink two mugs

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

didn't have any caffeine friday

blew through my alarm and didn't wake up until 3pm today

coincidence???

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

I'm drinking a cup of coffee right now.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ansible Adams posted:

:same:

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

i’m away from mine at the moment, but would it be a fun thing to post pics of our fave coffee cups on monday?

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
drinking Sainsbury’s brand After Dinner beans ... for breakfast :twisted:

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
MODS!!!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

first drink: americano with the tanzanians...almost out and i should really finish roasting the other beans i have before i buy another bag, regrettably

second drink: cold brew canadian breakfast tea blend from a local shoppe

i wish the decaf beans would hurry up and get here, i want to do a cold brew decaf as temperatures start to rise

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

two shots this morning, one of honduras adolfo reyes, and one ethiopia bedhatu

funneling all of my going-out-to-eat money into beans has been a big uptick in happiness this year

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

full pot

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ethiopian coffee is lovely. Though I've only had it from a cafetière, guess it may be too light for espresso.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

Ethiopian coffee is lovely. Though I've only had it from a cafetière, guess it may be too light for espresso.

you can make great espresso from basically any region. also, there’s a lot of variation within specific areas that we typically associate with coffee, which can make an impact, especially vis-à-vis things like elevation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Ansible Adams posted: