Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Ego-bot posted:

I liked Bruce Wayne being completely unfazed when Martian Manhunter shows up on his porch.
An alien species he's never encountered, "hey, what's up?"
Dude's just trying to get some sleep and random superpowered entities keep showing up at his door asking to join the Super Friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bomb-omb Texting
Sep 24, 2009
Sorry for making GBS threads the topic, I just felt that the movie was bad.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ego-bot posted:

I liked Bruce Wayne being completely unfazed when Martian Manhunter shows up on his porch.

An alien species he's never encountered, "hey, what's up?"

I would have kind of liked him to act like it was someone hitting him up for money.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Bomb-omb Texting posted:

Sorry for making GBS threads the topic, I just felt that the movie was bad.
Sorry, not trying to be an rear end in a top hat; I am getting the impression English is maybe not your first language. Aside from grammatical errors though this subforum is very into putting effort into your posts about movie thoughts. When you just come by to say "it's bad lol" it comes off as a shitpost, yeah.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

This is absolutely canon to The Lighthouse

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Zucc Snyder is here to suck away 4 hours of your life

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

weekly font posted:

This is absolutely canon to The Lighthouse

now i'm imagining a world where Robert Pattinson was Batman all along

Bomb-omb Texting
Sep 24, 2009

Martman posted:

Sorry, not trying to be an rear end in a top hat; I am getting the impression English is maybe not your first language. Aside from grammatical errors though this subforum is very into putting effort into your posts about movie thoughts. When you just come by to say "it's bad lol" it comes off as a shitpost, yeah.

Heh, I understand. Its okay! Ill try to put more effort to expressing my opinions in the future. : )

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Electronico6 posted:

It's a film about Gods, the vertical orientation gives the the feeling of the characters towering and being beyond you.

That’s pretty cool—thanks for the thoughtful response!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Well it took almost all day but I finally finished it. Hated the aspect ratio , but really loved the movie. Its just more coherent than Whedon's garbage. Definitely a tonally different movie. Probably one of the better director's cuts out ther with how many change are made in this.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Well it took almost all day but I finally finished it. Hated the aspect ratio , but really loved the movie. Its just more coherent than Whedon's garbage. Definitely a tonally different movie. Probably one of the better director's cuts out ther with how many change are made in this.

The only ones that come close are Kingdom of Heaven and Exorcist 4 and even those aren't this changed. It's crazy to have 2 Justice League movies.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Yeah, it's hard to really even call this a "director's cut." They remade the whole drat movie almost.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

My most visceral reaction at the moment that I'm just now fully realizing is, holy poo poo what are film critics doing if they are complaining that "this is basically the same movie" or whatever. This Is Your Job. You should get fired if you are a film critic and that's your reaction to this movie. Not liking it is fine but my god.

Also, the New York Times review that this is just a sad and hopeless "let's sit around and wait for the white Ubermensch to save us" review is just kinda actively dishonest and hateful. It's like they just decided to re-review the Whedon version instead of actually watching this. ZSJL spent its first two hours basically making me forget that Superman even exists.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So uh, I just started watching JL and it seems to be playing in 4:3 format. It’s not scrunched up, and it’s not my TV as other content is fine. Is this normal?

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

As a Londoner, I was pleased to see that they went to the bother of both showing an accurate route (north across Tower Bridge, approaching St. Paul's from the east and then turning north on to Old Bailey from Ludgate Hill) and recording the entire action sequence inside the Old Bailey instead of on a sound stage. I'd deduct a point for one of the terrorists referring to a city block but maybe he watched too much American TV growing up.

Wonder Woman vaporising Roose Bolton instead of risking the hostages in a second round of catch the bullet was awesome (and I noticed that Snyder showed a huge pool of blood around the dude who got the double whammy - violence can be fun but it isn't clean!).

Aside from the four hours passing quickly and just being massively better overall, I quite liked a lot of the small changes - like Bruce, when he was on the shore, turning back to see a gentle, expanding ripple where Aqauman was previously standing instead of an awkwardly framed closeup of Aquaman jumping backwards followed by an underwater rocket taking off. (He's completely at home in the water and not interested in impressing Bruce, so submerging should be casual/low-effort.) I'm also even more baffled by some of Whedon's reshoots. Even if he would have had to stop the Martha/Lois scene short of the Martian Manhunter reveal, why use that dogshit scene in the Daily Planet office instead of the one in Lois' kitchen? Maybe he tried and the comparison with his own material around it was too jarring.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I've only had time to watch half an hour of this, and so far my overwhelming impression is that this is a movie and the theatrical version is dumb poo poo for assholes.

Like this has its quirks like SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTIONNNNNNNNNNNN and a kind of air of general weirdness that will alienate some people and I can understand it, but everything about it just oozes quality and attention to detail, and the 2017 version was just cheap garbage by a fuckup dickhead.

Snyder's movies are kind of hit or miss for me, but even if this isn't ultimately great once I hit the 4 hour mark, it's clearly so much better than the theatrical version that it's just mind boggling.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Xenomrph posted:

So uh, I just started watching JL and it seems to be playing in 4:3 format. It’s not scrunched up, and it’s not my TV as other content is fine. Is this normal?

Yes. There is even a note about it at the start of the movie! :)

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Axel Serenity posted:

Yeah, it's hard to really even call this a "director's cut." They remade the whole drat movie almost.

The most recent MUSE album has a few tracks re-done with different instrumentation and vibes, labelled "Alternate Reality Version". EDM Producers will also make VIPs - "Variation in Production" for their tracks, sort of a self-remix or alternate take that'll be used for live shows or promo purposes.

This is more akin to one of those, than a simple editing shuffle.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah. Intentional choice, whether it was a good one is a circular argument that just happened a few pages ago. :v:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

well why not posted:

The most recent MUSE album has a few tracks re-done with different instrumentation and vibes, labelled "Alternate Reality Version". EDM Producers will also make VIPs - "Variation in Production" for their tracks, sort of a self-remix or alternate take that'll be used for live shows or promo purposes.

This is more akin to one of those, than a simple editing shuffle.

Check out jaden smith's SYRE. It's an amazing hip hop album, but he later released something called "SYRE:the electric album in it's original 432 hz format." Completely different compositions and some lyric changes.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
97% user score on rotten tomatoes holy moly

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Lmao

https://twitter.com/JohnELTenney/status/1372687042753216518

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

To be clear that is incredibly funny

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Horizon Burning posted:

97% user score on rotten tomatoes holy moly

Praise be to Snyder :worship:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
to be clear, it's not as funny as his profile

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

to be clear, it's not as funny as his profile

:hmmyes:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Bomb-omb Texting posted:

Just finished watching this, and its 4 hours im nog ever getting back, feels like art students take on a pile of poo poo and making it edgy, meaninful dark and even bigger pile of poo poo.

the dark and edgy movie where the heroes defeat the villain with the power of togetherness

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

lol

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

2house2fly posted:

the dark and edgy movie where the heroes defeat the villain with the power of togetherness

Darkest hero Batman says "I just have faith" and believes in everyone.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Zack Snyder's superpower is making haters unable to spell his name

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Darko posted:

Darkest hero Batman says "I just have faith" and believes in everyone.

Edgy af.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

noted objectivist acts of 'bonding together' and 'helping single mothers'

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
think I'll make a dark and edgy movie *makes a scene where the cyborg is moved by the plight of a poor woman and gives her money*

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

What can I say that hasn't already been said? Phenomenal.

I do love that Bruce's arc went from trying to murder an alien to having an alien show up at his door and being pretty jazzed to have a new friend.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I can't tell if this or the Sailor Scouts defeating evil with the power of love is edgier

So grimdark

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Here is your daily reminder to not make the mistake I did of glancing at terrible Reddit takes

quote:

Two main questions:

Were they not allowed to use any of the Elfman stuff from the other one? The music in this one was awful.

That was a CG Ben Affleck at the end right?

Overall I thought was dumb but fun in Fast and the Furious type way. Skipping over the scenes I just didn't care about which was probably a 1/3 of the movie was nice.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The real villain of the movie are lovely tippers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

"Cyborg generated unearned currency -- that's the Fed's job! And the free money went to a working-class, single-parent parasite - that's a congressional crony's job! The horror, the HORROR!"
-Ayn Rand